FBI's iPhone unlock technique could be kept secret by White House review group

Comments

• Reply 21 of 48
    The secret is out FBI used UFED user lock code recovery tool Cellebrite Touch device to unlock secure computer operating systems. go to their website to get full story on their line of equipment. This info was pulled from google news this morning
  • Reply 22 of 48
    Apple made it clear that information concerning the method for unlocking phones should not be possessed by Apple, since Apple cannot control what happens to that information. Catch-22. You've hoisted yourself on your own petard, Tim.
    spacekid
  • Reply 23 of 48
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,372member
    Another example of the Executive Branch grotesquely overreaching its Constitutionally afforded powers. Very sad to see the Constitution shredded in the name of the terrorist bogeyman and controlling the media narrative. We've lost all of our core values but what the hell, we still have our guns. Never before has mankind existed in such a highly communicative environment yet been so utterly disconnected at every possible level. The ability of the media and the Internet to produce information, good, bad, true, and bogus far exceeds ordinary people's ability to digest it and react to it in a reasonable way at a personal level. We had the Stone Age, Iron Age, etc. Today we are living in the Schizophrenic Age and our current leaders and their wannabe replacements are perfectly adept at using it to maximum effect.
    buzdots
  • Reply 24 of 48
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Apple did their job, living up to their responsibility. They put the deed into their creed.

What the FBI does with the phone(s) they have is out of Apple's control. Apple simply need to stay the course and continue to improve security. Nothing else can be done here. Expecting the government to play ball with Apple on this matter (revealing their methods, etc.) is a fantasy to begin with. 
    Blaster
  • Reply 25 of 48
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    why- said:
    if apple sues the FBI would that force them to reveal their method?
    No. FBI is shielded by "National Security" protections.
    spacekid
  • Reply 26 of 48
    I don't believe this was ever the case of Apple simply refusing to aide the government or doing something that could possibly thwat terrorism.

From the very first day the situation went public, it's been clear to me that Apple is saying it cannot trust that the government could keep safe the method of access that Apple could provide them, and in such, helping the FBI will actually do more to aide those looking to commit acts of terror and hate (be it physical or cyber) than it would to aide in any effort of safety and prevention.

I f*cken hate Apple with all of my being yet I absolutely back and agree with Apple and have gone so far as to create new accounts on forums and sites to defend them (as I have here). Never in a million years would I have ever believed I would stand beside Apple and do so on three items of controversy in a row, within a three month period- unless one of those million years happens to be the very last one to exist :-/
    fastasleep
  • Reply 27 of 48
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    So, with the suspect's iPhone unlocked ... Was there actually any valuable information on it?

>:x
    edited March 2016
  • Reply 28 of 48
    NemWanNemWan Posts: 118member
    sog35 said:
    NemWan said:
    The government would protect the most people's security by helping Apple make the iPhone more secure. There is no reason to prevent Apple from fixing this flaw. The knowledge that at least the iPhone 5c can be cracked will deter criminals from using it. If it is left vague that the flaw may affect more iPhones then criminals will avoid the iPhone altogether. iPhone 5c phones already in government custody will not be made inaccessible by Apple's fix.
    I disagree.

If its a hardware crack (requiring physical access to the phone) I see no reason for the FBI to tell Apple.
    If its a software crack that can be done REMOTELY then they need to tell Apple.
    I disagree with the premsie that only "good guys" can exploit physical access.
    redraider11
  • Reply 29 of 48
    In theory, Apple could ask opsec researchers and others looking for unlock code bypasses to provide the details of their hacks to Apple. As far as I know, the FBI didn't invent this hack internally. Someone else knows how to break iOS encryption.
  • Reply 30 of 48
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,960member
    If the FBI got in by appealing to the hacker community, why can't Apple do exactly the same thing? Apple can even offer a large reward if need be. In any case, if Apple doesn't already know how the FBI got in, they will before long. Heck, I wouldn't be shocked to learn that Apple facilitated the hack via back channel to save face or take the pressure off. 
  • Reply 31 of 48
    sog35 said:
    I'm 100% okay with this.

If the hacking method involves physical access to the phone.

If I lose my phone or it gets stolen I can easy do device lock.

What I'm TERRIFIED about is a hack that can be done remotely without me knowing.  Those type of hacks could be used by Russia and China or ISIS.  Those type of hacks can be done on MILLIONS of phones at the same time.  Physical hacking does not bother me because I will KNOW my phone is open to attack and I can do something about it.

For all of those that are okay with physical access being required for hacks into the iPhone let me point out that remote locking will not nessecarily save you or your information. All one needs to do is put the phone into an EM shield bag (before the remote wipe signal is sent) and do then do the hack in an EM shielded environment (both are relatively cheap to create) and now both the phone and all of it's info can be obtained by the "bad guys".

Fortunately (or unfortunately) most bad guys don't care about the data, but the phone itself. If they can get into the phone for the data then they can most likely get in to reset it factory conditions which can then let them sell it on eBay or some other third party source for often $500 or more (for iPhone 6 Plus). This could then result in people getting mugged again just for their iPhones (remember when police wanted passcode to lock iPhones to prevent this). This is even more of a concern now that Apple is selling many of it's iPhones without carrier lock through it's upgrade program.

I don't know about you, but I am very concerned about any hack into an iPhone that gives control to a third party. Especially when statistics indicate that I am far more likely to be injured or killed in a mugging over an iPhone than I am by a Terrorist action or even by a remote infiltration by an oversea's gang (including the financial ramifications of having to replace the iPhone).
    redraider11
  • Reply 32 of 48
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Meanwhile the San Bernardino terrorists have already revealed the solution: a five pound sledgehammer. 
  • Reply 33 of 48
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    How come the FBI hasn't said what they found on the phone yet? 

Still I think the FBI shouldn't have to tell Apple. All is fair right? Can't have it both ways.

Besides, I don't want Apple to be told because then they'll focus on just that problem instead of going through everything piece by piece and maybe figuring out how the phone was hacked along with other security issues!!!  In the end the security is even better.
  • Reply 34 of 48
    Well   

All Apple need to do is buy these companies or hire them as external consultant. Problem solved.

It will be much better investment than Boston Dynamics.
  • Reply 35 of 48
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,322member
    postman said:
    The FBI has been demanding collaboration. But 'collaboration' is a two-way street.

QUESTION: After being lied to by the FBI, and bullied and threatened, and then lied to again all in a big public grandstand – how can the FBI expect Apple, or any tech company to ever trust them again?

ANSWER: By offering to 'collaborate' and share what they know – regarding how they can now break into their iPhones.

This "sharing" issue is less about technology and security, and more about the future relationship between law enforcement and tech companies, and getting the public's trust back.
    Yes but Apple's logo is a reminder (even if they claim it's not intentional) of why governments should never be trusted when it comes to encryption technology.

• Reply 36 of 48
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    I wouldn't mind if it stays deep buried inside FBI and not able to escape in wild. Learn from China that instead of making all this hoopla, FBI should have taken that route in first place and secretly. Keep using without publicity. All they need to solve any case that involves any iphone is inside information not publicity. But, wait. we are Americans. Even Government employees want to be celebrity, want to be in press, on TV even they are paid by tax dollars.
    edited March 2016
  • Reply 37 of 48
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,372member
    All this talk about the FBI being able to access the secure innards of iPhones at will may drive the bad guys to reconsider their choice of iPhone for conducting their evil endeavors. Hmmm....
  • Reply 38 of 48
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    sog35 said:
    I'm 100% okay with this.

What I'm TERRIFIED about is a hack that can be done remotely without me knowing.  Those type of hacks could be used by Russia and China or ISIS.  Those type of hacks can be done on MILLIONS of phones at the same time.  Physical hacking does not bother me because I will KNOW my phone is open to attack and I can do something about it.
    Why would Russia, China or ISIS give a crap about your phone?
  • Reply 39 of 48
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    Good to see there's no longer a need to turn the iPhone into another public surveillance product. I guess no stronger legislation is required either unless of course this was just an excuse to push that through.
  • Reply 40 of 48
    crowley said:
    sog35 said:
    I'm 100% okay with this.

Why would Russia, China or ISIS give a crap about your phone?

Not everyone is a general citizen. People in govt. and big company people are their targets.