FBI's iPhone unlock technique could be kept secret by White House review group

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 48
    BlasterBlaster Posts: 97member
    I'm curious why so many people are up in arms over the FBI possessing the capability to unlock the iPhone through physical access.  Every time some security researcher announces an iOS exploit, Mac users usually dismiss it with "So what", "physical access required", "nothing in the wild", "at least it's not Android", etc.  Why are these Mac users reacting so differently with the FBI?
    edited March 2016 singularity
  • Reply 42 of 48
    crowley said:
    sog35 said:
    I'm 100% okay with this.

If the hacking method involves physical access to the phone.

If I lose my phone or it gets stolen I can easy do device lock.

What I'm TERRIFIED about is a hack that can be done remotely without me knowing.  Those type of hacks could be used by Russia and China or ISIS.  Those type of hacks can be done on MILLIONS of phones at the same time.  Physical hacking does not bother me because I will KNOW my phone is open to attack and I can do something about it.
    Why would Russia, China or ISIS give a crap about your phone?

Not everyone is a general citizen. People in govt. and big company people are their target  
  • Reply 43 of 48
    CMA102DLCMA102DL Posts: 121member
    Blaster said:
    I'm curious why so many people are up in arms over the FBI possessing the capability to unlock the iPhone through physical access.  Every time some security researcher announces an iOS exploit, Mac users usually dismiss it with "So what", "physical access required", "nothing in the wild", "at least it's not Android", etc.  Why are these Mac users reacting so differently with the FBI?
    If the FBI were the good guys,  then everything would be OK and their hardware hack would be fine, but history shows that the FBI is corrupt and untrusworthy.
    edited April 2016
  • Reply 44 of 48
    MattSht said:
    Why should the Feds give Apple what Apple wouldn't give the Feds? I doubt they got in the phone but if they did, good for them. Don't tell anyone how you did it.

Sht Matt, how can you say that?
  • Reply 45 of 48
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member
    macbootx said:
    It does not matter if the government keeps it a secret. 
     - It's old technology. An iPhone 5c, no Touch ID, totally different security architecture. 
     - The engineers at Apple probably knew how it could be hacked long before the FBI and whoever helped them figured it out. 
    I agree. I am not sure what makes people think that Apple had no knowledge of this phone being able to be hacked. I mean it's not like you can just press a 3 digit code and BOOM the phone is hacked. It's a bit of an involved process that the average thief that steals some person's phone at a bar, or work would be able to easily replicate in order to get info off of the phone.  
  • Reply 46 of 48
    spacekidspacekid Posts: 183member
    Corgiking said:
    crowley said:
    Why would Russia, China or ISIS give a crap about your phone?

Not everyone is a general citizen. People in govt. and big company people are their target  
    That's why people in government and big companies shouldn't be using unapproved phones to conduct business from. Like a Secretary of State that wanted to use a blackberry in a secure room and have her own email server.
  • Reply 47 of 48
    rhoninrhonin Posts: 60member
    Not if the FBI / DOJ wants to use this in criminal cases.  If a defendant requests to have examined the method and process to garner data from a device, it leaves the FBI/DOJ with the option of either dropping the evidentiary chain to preserve it or allow it to be examined as part of the evidentiary chain.  Seeing how they are already looking to help out with other devices, that sort of precludes the assumption laid out in this article.