Review: Elgato's Eve Energy smartplug is easy to use, but highlights HomeKit's flaws

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 37
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Any lighting system that requires bridge hardware from the manufacturer can go take a jump. We're looking to simplify our lives not spend a fortune complicating them. Every bulb should be a master bulb and include the necessary components internally to work right out of the box like magic. Bringing hardware such as the Hue Bridge is exactly the sort of old-hat crap not tech companies will do. All of this is possible with your crsppy bridging hardware—work it out.
    edited April 2016 supadav03
  • Reply 22 of 37
    I have an AppleTV 4 and Eve.  Apple TV shows up on my iCloud list of devices but fails to control Eve remotely.

HomeKit is a giant turd thus far.
    edited April 2016
  • Reply 23 of 37
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,243member
    Yup $50 USD for controlling one appliance.... that's too much.
  • Reply 24 of 37
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,243member
    aumgn said:
    The title of the article mentions that this device highlights Homekit's flaws. Since when is a lack of features and unbalanced price/value the fault of the protocol in which something runs?

This is like blaming a crappy router on the 802.11ac spec, total nonsense.

Cons:
    • Bluetooth limits automation functions (not Homekit's fault)
    • Expensive (could partially be Homekit's fault due to the chipset limitation, but the price seems on par with competitors)
    • Just one socket, can't be used outdoors (not Homekit's fault)

Yah, I agree with you. The logic in this article begs some questions. :)
    aumgn
  • Reply 25 of 37
    As an owner of several Elgato smart plugs I have but one major complaint: they can only be controlled by ONE Apple ID... This means that nor my wife or kids can control the plugs via Siri - which IMO is the preferred control method. 

This of course a major flaw which needs to go into your Cons-section. 

In the meantime I'm crossing my fingers, hoping for a firmware update. 
    supadav03nolamacguy
  • Reply 26 of 37
    appexappex Posts: 687member
    Are there devices to turn off (and not turn on until manually done) when the charging device is fully charged? I mean, equivalent to unplugging when fully charged. For instance, change a Mac or iPhone (or whatever) overnight, and then the device turns charging off when finished (not recharging for ever until unplugged).
  • Reply 27 of 37
    jeromecjeromec Posts: 192member
    As an owner of several Elgato smart plugs I have but one major complaint: they can only be controlled by ONE Apple ID... This means that nor my wife or kids can control the plugs via Siri - which IMO is the preferred control method. 

This of course a major flaw which needs to go into your Cons-section. 

In the meantime I'm crossing my fingers, hoping for a firmware update. 
    I have great news Richard.
    (Since iOS 9 i believe), you can share your HomeKit home to another iCloud account, so that this account can access it.
    That way someone your wife and kids cans manage and control the Eve plugs via Homekit and Siri.
    Elgato even mentions it on their website (check for "Guest access" in "Even better with iOS 9")
    So does Apple here (check under "Share control of your accessories")

By the way, there are a lot of misconceptions about HomeKit (and Apple is very unclear about it).
    As an example, the article claims that you cannot set your Eve Energy to automatically turn on or off following triggers, such as arriving or leaving home.
    That is not true at all, since I have just done exactly that: I have an Eve Energy that turns on automatically when I arrive home.
    Here is how it looks like in the Eve app: http://https//www.dropbox.com/sh/nbah4lfbf0dh725/AAAXTk_hYXT9HcS7KGjxIDuMa?dl=0
    (you might need an Apple TV, which I have, so that remote access is enabled, but still, it works)
    edited April 2016
  • Reply 28 of 37
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member

Bluetooth devices, by themselves, can't be "seen" via the Internet and require some other device with an IP address to manage the communications when outside the range of the Bluetooth device.  Apparently, AppleTV fills that need, so there is at least one way the HomeKit platform can be implented for remote control - I use UDI system for automation of Insteon and ZWave devices, so am trusting what others have said about Apple TV serving as a hub.

You are totally right. The  mistake Apple made is not changing their Airport products so that it can handle the job that's currently possible with  AppleTV. 
    Or maybe they should create a simple control panel (a 7" screen, HomeControl or whatever) that you mount in your house, which then functions as a frontend to control your devices, also being a standalone device, seen from the outside.

edited April 2016
  • Reply 29 of 37
    I actually have no desire to connect my home to the Internet. IoT is flawed from a security perspective. It is how Target stores were attacked in that very substantial credit breach a few years ago. Hackers broke in using the air conditioning system. 

I am not interested in this.  I actually have a zwave network set up in my home, but refuse to connect it to the Internet. The local remote works just fine. Putting the network online is absolutely terrifying. I don't need anyone setting the thermostat to 105 degrees or turning the water on to the automatic sprinkler system and flooding my yard and home. 

I do realize that someone can hack into my system locally, but they would need to be physically located in close proximity to my home and with the knowledge that the home has been set up on zwave.  The zwave protocol isn't particularly secure, but the range is quite limited. Even trying to access the system from the street couldn't be accomplished as it is too far away. I suppose my neighbors could do it, but neither of them have the sophistication to do so nor are bent on malicious intent. 

Attaching a USB dongle to the computer or purchasing a device that can be added to a wifi network and putting the system on the Internet is a whole different story. In fact, I don't even want my vehicle attached to the web in any way. Unlocking and starting up the vehicle with a smartphone app is awfully convenient, but subject to hacking. And people who use Android to do so, are crazy. The source code to Android is all over the web. Finding vulnerabilities and exploiting them on that OS is far easier than on iOS. 

IoT is akin to a swear word in my home. It's just like a drug. Enticing, addictive and will cause great harm for those who take part. My stance is to just say no. 

• Reply 30 of 37
    milkmagemilkmage Posts: 152member
    "This where the Eve Energy's dependence on Bluetooth rears its ugly head again though, since trigger rules (like arriving home) can't be set for Bluetooth devices. "

do I see a BT device?
    what time is it?
    do i have instructions to execute based on presence of device and time?

I strongly doubt that simple query poses a significant technical challenge.

if it really is missing - it's lazy.

• Reply 31 of 37
    Hmmm ... Elgato is already exploiting the Bluetooth Extender functionnality since I can see the Eve Door and Window sensor status when I'm on LTE. Second, from what I understand, iOS 9.3 is still not allowing "Homekit Notifications" for contact sensors, only for security systems, doors, locks, windows (see Settings | Notifications | HomeKit | HomeKit Options) and unfortunatly this device is a "contact sensor", so Elgato still can't send any changes from the devices (like opened, closed) because iOS doesn't allow it yet, thus can't trigger anything yet... And for this, it wouldn't make any difference if their devices where WiFi.
  • Reply 32 of 37
    Elgato's Eve Energy smartplug is a perfectly serviceable home automation product, but in some ways it proves that Apple's HomeKit platform still has a ways to go before it becomes mainstream.
    Home Kit is disappointing.  Too many suppliers wanting to "do it their way."  Apple needs to sell a WiFi family of Home Kit products that "just work" without all the fiddling.  Enough of all the infighting.
    edited April 2016
  • Reply 33 of 37
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,066member
    eightzero said:
    The entire concept is flawed:

https://medium.com/internet-of-shit/the-internet-of-things-has-a-dirty-little-secret-28bce2d412b2#.g3xk1th1i

I have found one and exactly one use for these kinds of devices: the memo wall light switch for my porch light. It works like the switch it replaced - toggle on/off - and I set it up to come on as a timer. Done. Who wants a "lamp" that you have to find your phone to control? Or dick round finding the plug on the wall behind a table? 
    perhaps you should try the Hue products before describing how they don't work -- you done need your phone. you can turn them on and off via normal switches if you like. but you can also have them set to schedules for different scenes, and use your phone, tablet on the coffee table, or watch on your wrist to set a specific scene (ex: relax, reading, tv, movies are our top scenes). 
    Really? So if the power to the socket is off because the lamp switch is off, you can still turn on the Hue bulb in it via the app?
    edited April 2016
  • Reply 34 of 37
    Can we ease up on the v1 hate a little?
    Years ago most electronic devices never talked to each other. PDAs without cellular access. Everything incompatible.

iPhone SE is really the phone Apple should have shipped back in 2007, the previous ones were beta hardware. They shouldn't have shipped till they got it right. 

Give me a break. 
  • Reply 35 of 37
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,950member
    What I still fail to understand, is why someone can't design an outlet replacement so I don't have to have this obnoxious dongle hanging off my wall. 
  • Reply 36 of 37
    This products looks great i need to have it. Can somebody pm or post a link were i can buy that thing.