Second-gen August Smart Lock with Apple HomeKit support now shipping

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 35
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    zoetmb said:
    Most door locks default lock (but don't double lock) when they close. 
    That is actually a valid observation. Most doors that have that sort of deadbolt have a separate handle below which also has its own lock. If you want to use this sort of deadbolt, you have to remember to not have the lower handle in the lock position by accident.
    edited April 2016
  • Reply 22 of 35
    volcan said:
    dick applebaum said:

But the cams need to be integrated with the door openings/closings to identify who and when -- then create concise logs/notifications, e.g.:
    Not really. Most modern camera systems send you a notification when they detect motion near the front door, regardless of whether the door is opened or not.

I have cams with motion detect -- but they result in information overload -- too many notifications.

• Reply 23 of 35
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member

Mmm ... What if you allow the door to be opened by someone to walk your dog ...  and she brings a friend with her?

Using the same logic, the notification/logs show the door was opened and closed by someone approved, but does not identify others entering at the same time.  For example, all the kids [usually] walk home from school together -- but only the one who opens the door generates a notification/log entry.  What about the others?

If you're that worried then I guess you need a Camera! One that will Record.
    cornchip
  • Reply 24 of 35
    vmarksvmarks Posts: 762editor
    volcan said:
    razorpit said:

People who have the money (and even some that don't) will pay it just to be the "kool" kid on the street as they drive off to the coffee shop in their Tesla.

People who drive Teslas don't have locks like that on their front door. They have super high end locks made in Europe, Israel, or perhaps Baldwin made in USA. You aren't going to find a Schlage lock on the front door of a million dollar home.

August is compatible with Baldwin deadbolts. Also, why do you think Baldwin is high end? It's not nearly as secure as the locks from Israel.
  • Reply 25 of 35
    pmz said:
    The real problem is having a door that be latched/unlatched without any assistance.

If you have a front door that requires any sort of effort (push or pull) to align the dead bolt, you're going to go out of your mind trying to fix and align it when installing any of these unattended deadbolts.
    If you have a door that requires push-pull to align it, you really ought to fix that anyway. Or, get the deadbolt with the tapered bolt, so that it aligns itself as it locks.
    macgui
  • Reply 26 of 35
    zoetmb said:
    Most door locks default lock (but don't double lock) when they close.     With the possible exception of when someone has a bunch of contractors, dog walkers, maids, etc., who need to get into the house, this sounds like a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.    But perhaps I'm biased because I live in a relatively small apartment and the last thing I need is a "connected home".   

3 apartment and 2 homes I've lived in did not lock by default. One of the reasons this exists is, 'did I forget to lock the door?'
    nolamacguy
  • Reply 27 of 35
    vmarks said:

August is compatible with Baldwin deadbolts. Also, why do you think Baldwin is high end? It's not nearly as secure as the locks from Israel.
    I'm not sure where you found that information but, it is not going to be compatible with my Baldwin, that I can tell you for sure, because you can't remove the inside deadbolt knob. It is part of the same unit as the lower handle. I consider Baldwin to be high end because it is reasonably secure, costs a lot, its beautiful and has excellent craftsmanship. Your comparison is like saying a Mercedes 550 is not high end because a Ferrari can do 250 mph. The security of Israeli locks mostly comes from the design of the key not the lock itself. The keys are very difficult, if not impossible, to reproduce, at least in the US, where as a Baldwin key can be reproduced at just about any hardware store.
    edited April 2016
  • Reply 28 of 35
    sandorsandor Posts: 658member
    volcan said:
    razorpit said:

People who have the money (and even some that don't) will pay it just to be the "kool" kid on the street as they drive off to the coffee shop in their Tesla.

People who drive Teslas don't have locks like that on their front door. They have super high end locks made in Europe, Israel, or perhaps Baldwin made in USA. You aren't going to find a Schlage lock on the front door of a million dollar home.

I pass dozens of "million dollar homes" on my way to work, and i know many have Schlage locks, even directly from Home Depot or Lowes.

Frankly, many homes in that price range in the north east US megalopolis are rather cookie-cutter & use nothing but standard equipment.

High end locks do make me laugh a bit though - if you want to get in a place, the type of lock on the door is relatively meaningless.
    razorpit
  • Reply 29 of 35
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,064member
  • Reply 30 of 35
    igorskyigorsky Posts: 755member
    Does anyone know if the proximity for door open/close can be adjusted? Can't seem to find this info. Thought I read somewhere that it's factory-set at 100 yards, which seems like a needlessly large distance.
  • Reply 31 of 35
    sandor said:

High end locks do make me laugh a bit though - if you want to get in a place, the type of lock on the door is relatively meaningless.
    High end locks probably aren't any more secure than generic locks, they just look and feel luxurious.
  • Reply 32 of 35
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,358member
    volcan said:
    macgui said:
    Yeah, like you car's power windows, A/C, the starter...
    Your car analogy is using a battery with between 40-120 Ah and is being recharged daily. Personally, I wouldn't want a door lock run by two AA batteries. Seems like a gimmick to me.
    And when that car battery dies, the car and it's accouterments are dead and not functional. The lock will still function exactly as it did before the addition of the August option. Yeah, it's gimmick, just like garage door openers, TV remote controls, remote control switches, keyless entry to the car...
  • Reply 33 of 35
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,358member
    volcan said:
    zoetmb said:
    Most door locks default lock (but don't double lock) when they close. 
    That is actually a valid observation. Most doors that have that sort of deadbolt have a separate handle below which also has its own lock. If you want to use this sort of deadbolt, you have to remember to not have the lower handle in the lock position by accident.
    It's not at all valid without specific qualifications. The alleged "default" would tend to result in a lot of accidental lockouts. So it might be true in some commercial and high security applications, but the August lock would probably not be use in them.

sandor said:

Right on cue- "locks only keep honest people out". I bet you still lock your front door at night, though.

volcan said:
    sandor said:

High end locks probably aren't any more secure than generic locks, they just look and feel luxurious.
    You're confusing high-end locks with designer locks. Big difference.

This August lock also used four, not two AA batteries. The both the lock and the app have low battery signal a low battery, which fewer and fewer cars these days do, lacking either an ammeter or voltmeter.
  • Reply 34 of 35
    macgui said:

You're confusing high-end locks with designer locks. Big difference.
    I don't think I'm confused at all, at least not about locks. I used to be a homebuilder and have installed hundreds of locks of all sorts. Have you ever owned an expensive Baldwin mortised lockset? It is a thing of beauty. When you turn the key it is as smooth as butter, as is the thumb lever and the inside knobs. It is one of the nicest locks you can buy....but it is installed on a 1 3/4" wood door that could be kicked in without much trouble. The wood will fail right at the lock. Even easier would to be to break the leaded glass and just reach in and unlock it. On the other hand, I have a door at another house that is made of steel and the deadbolt actually engages three separate bolts, top, middle and bottom. It also has pins on the hinge side that engage automatically when you close the door, but the whole door, with lock, costs about a third of what my Baldwin lockset costs, however the steel door is very ugly and industrial in appearance. 
    edited April 2016
  • Reply 35 of 35
    Dick, it seems to me that you are reaching for straws just to find flaws with the lock. If you give the dog walker a key, they can also bring all their friends with them. So, the smart lock in this situation is not a flaw. With a key you would get no logs at all. With a key you could not restrict the walkers access to specific days or time. With a key if you fired the dog walker you could not instantly deny their access. Yes there are flaws, but there are good things with these locks as well.