Microsoft stays true to its word, will end free Windows 10 upgrades on July 29

Comments

• Reply 21 of 66
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    You'd have to PAY ME to use that virus-ridden junkware.
    pscooter63
  • Reply 22 of 66
    SnRaSnRa Posts: 65member
    runbuh said:
     Not sure what flavor of Windows 10 runs on a regular Surface (not a Surface "Pro")...
    The Surface 3 has x86-64 hardware, so it runs regular Windows 10.
    netmage
  • Reply 23 of 66
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Windows 10 sucks anyway. Its experience hell for whoever upgraded
  • Reply 24 of 66
    zroger73zroger73 Posts: 787member
    Times like this remind me of how thankful I am to have eliminated Microsoft Windows from my life almost a decade ago.

The last version of Windows I ever used at home was XP, of which I have fond memories. Unfortunately, I am forced to use Windows 7 at work. Thankfully, I've not been exposed to Windows 8 or 10, although just looking at their screens confuses me.
  • Reply 25 of 66
    why-why- Posts: 305member
    runbuh said:
    About time they just offered one version that does everything for $119 instead of multiple versions with a few different features here and there. As for well received, for the Windows users in my household it's been nothing but a bag of hurt. No end of problems, things missing that have been in previous versions of Windows, some functionality has been lost across the OS and bundled apps. My mother wanted to play a DVD, connected an external drive to her laptop and guess what, no software included with Windows 10 to play a DVD! Nightmare.
    Nope.  Windows 10 Home, Windows 10 Professional, and Windows 10 Enterprise.  Don't forget Windows 10 Mobile.  Not sure what flavor of Windows 10 runs on a regular Surface (not a Surface "Pro")...

depends. the surface rt and surface 2 I believe are still running windows 8.1 but the surface 3 runs regular old windows 10
  • Reply 26 of 66
    appex said:
    Once you try Mac OS X, you do not want Windows even for free. BTW, Mac OS X is free.

yeah but macs aren't, unless your talking about a hackintosh
  • Reply 27 of 66
    The software has been well-received by both consumers and the important enterprise market, having made its way to more than 300 million devices worldwide.
    That statement contradicts the feedback I hear from users of this board. Windows 10, in reality, is an ad-ridden virus-carrying crime against humanity that terrorizes all in its path.
  • Reply 28 of 66
    why- said:
    runbuh said:
    Nope.  Windows 10 Home, Windows 10 Professional, and Windows 10 Enterprise.  Don't forget Windows 10 Mobile.  Not sure what flavor of Windows 10 runs on a regular Surface (not a Surface "Pro")...

depends. the surface rt and surface 2 I believe are still running windows 8.1 but the surface 3 runs regular old windows 10
    The Surface RT and Surface 2 use ARM hardware, so they run Windows RT 8.1, not to be confused with Windows 8.1 for x86 hardware.
  • Reply 29 of 66
    you know its funny how people so often confuse second-person with first-person
  • Reply 30 of 66
    SnRa said:
    why- said:

The Surface RT and Surface 2 use ARM hardware, so they run Windows RT 8.1, not to be confused with Windows 8.1 for x86 hardware.

sorry that's what I meant. just forgot the rt
    SnRa
  • Reply 31 of 66
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    In what could be described as a somewhat surprising move given the company's proclivity for indecision, Microsoft on Thursday announced that it would stick to the plan it announced last year and begin charging for Windows upgrades this summer.
    Thank you Microsoft! Now you stop "helpfully" and repeatedly automatically scheduling our company's computers for the Windows 10 upgrade that we don't want to begin with.
    bestkeptsecret
  • Reply 32 of 66
    hypoluxahypoluxa Posts: 694member
    Poor rubes...having to pay for an OS upgrade, if you didn't already buy a new PC with it pre-installed. So glad Apple did what they did with their OS updating.
  • Reply 33 of 66
    hypoluxa said:
    Poor rubes...having to pay for an OS upgrade, if you didn't already buy a new PC with it pre-installed. So glad Apple did what they did with their OS updating.

actually until july 29th any computer with 7 and up can upgrade for free which is literally the article headline
    edited May 2016
  • Reply 34 of 66
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    ... Microsoft on Thursday announced that it would stick to the plan it announced last year and begin charging for Windows upgrades this summer. ...
    Steve Ballmer lives.
  • Reply 35 of 66
    hypoluxahypoluxa Posts: 694member
    why- said:
    hypoluxa said:

actually until july 29th any computer with 7 and up can upgrade for free
    Right, I know. However after that, nadda. 
  • Reply 36 of 66
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    I had to do a new upgrade of a client-site last year.  Windows 10 had just been released a month before and my only option at the time was to install Windows 8 to all the workstations.  Testing of Windows 10 had problems and it wasn't ready for the enterprise.

A year later, it has improved but from what I see still... they haven't improved it enough for me to take a chance and upgrade all those workstations.  I'd would like to, since that would keep everything current, but I just don't trust it enough to the demands of a corporate environment, even if they are juggling a free license.  I'd much rather they provide me a free upgrade license that I can install when I feel the time is right.  This feels rushed.
  • Reply 37 of 66
    hypoluxa said:
    why- said:

actually until july 29th any computer with 7 and up can upgrade for free
    Right, I know. However after that, nadda. 

well not nothing. £99.99 I think
    netmage
  • Reply 38 of 66
    bkkcanuckbkkcanuck Posts: 864member
    appex said:
    Once you try Mac OS X, you do not want Windows even for free. BTW, Mac OS X is free.
    I have a copy of Windows 7 Professional (i.e. not OEM) around, but have not bothered upgrading it because it required having it installed first....  I don't need it on my Macs at all.  My last Windows machine died a while back.
  • Reply 39 of 66
    AppleZulu said:
    Microsoft finds themselves between a rock and a hard place. They make money from software, not hardware. They can give away the OS as a loss-leader, but there are increasingly viable alternatives to core products like Office. If you take the loss on the front end and don't recoup on the back end, you're in a world of hurt. Charge money for the OS, and you have income, but you also have a strong disincentive for frequent upgrades. Apple OSX and iOS can be free, because they're tied to the hardware, which is not free. Because the OS upgrades are free, Apple consumers are acculturated to staying current with the software, and that probably translates into greater willingness to more regularly paying for hardware upgrades.

Google Andriod isn't tied to hardware, and it's free, but the users themselves are the commodity sold back to advertisers. Microsoft hasn't shifted to that model, either, so they're left with trying to make money from software, which is more difficult than it used to be.
    It was simple, they wanted everyone up on Windows 10 as a means to make sure everyone had the App store installed.  They expect to make money off of commissions from purchases going forward.  Now that that has been accomplished they can go back to the old model.
  • Reply 40 of 66
    sog35 said:
    We all laugh at Microsoft. But the Microsoft CEO is destroying Tim Cook.

Microsoft's PE ratio is 35.3
    Apple's is pathetic 9.8

Microsoft is up 27% the last 2 years
    Apple only 10%

Microsoft is up 7% the last year
    Apple is DOWN 26%

Microsoft's profits were down 25% last quarter
    Apple's was down 22%

Even though Microsoft has reported multiple quarters of profit decline the stock is being traded at 35 times its earnings. 
    Apple has faced its first revenue decline in 13 years and is trading at 10 times its earnings.

That just shows that Wall Street and investors have much more confidence in the Microsoft CEO than Tim Cook. Pathetic.

Even in its toughest times Steve Jobs Apple NEVER had a 9 PE ratio. Even when they were steps away from bankruptcy the company was never valued as low as it is today.

IF TIM COOK WAS FIRED APPLE WOULD GAIN $500 BILLION IN VALUE INSTANTLY.

That's how horrible of a CEO Tim Cook is. The average PE ratio for the S&P500 is 20.  Apple is at 10. With a decent CEO Apple would get a PE of 20 and be valued at twice its current price.

Cook just flatout sucks and needs to be fired. Its pathetic that a Microsoft CEO is seen as more visionary and forward thinking than an Apple CEO.

Bull.  The reason why Apple has a low PE is because they are seen as a company with a narrow set of products which for the most part are in areas that the market expects to peak.  

Microsoft has underperformed for the last 15 years and only recently have seen some improvement in their stock price.  The difference is because Microsoft is seen as a company with 100s of different products across a wide area of markets .... the market is seeing them as a better chance for future growth.  

Apple is still raking in money, doing buybacks of stock (a way of returning capital to the shareholders) and has a nice fat juicy dividend.  The unfortunate part of being cash rich is that they are sitting on a pile of cash ($200 billion+) which is going to be earning a couple percentage points on it....