Early Apple Watch adopters were mostly men, but latecomers are starting to skew toward women

Posted:
in Apple Watch
At launch, the overwhelming majority of Apple Watch buyers were men. But in the year since it debuted, women have begun to close the gap and embrace Apple's new wearable platform, new research shows.

E-commerce analytics firm Slice released new data on Thursday, showing that while 80 percent of Apple Watch buyers at launch were men, the gap has since closed considerably. Men are still more likely to buy an Apple Watch, but the split has since narrowed to about 60-40.

The data also shows that rival wearable maker Fitbit is also headed in the same direction, though its customer base remains predominantly female. A year ago, 56 percent of Fitbit buyers were said to be women, and by March of 2016, buyers had increased to 63 percent.

Slice's data comes from more than 4.2 million online shoppers, measuring digital commerce directly from the consumer. The data comes from e-receipts after consumers complete their purchase.

Slice found that the launch of the new Fitbit Alta was a big hit for the company, though its Charge HR remains its best seller through the first quarter of 2016. The Apple Watch Sport took second among wearables tracked by Slice, ahead of the Alta, which launched in February with swappable bands. Apple's more premium priced stainless steel Apple Watch came in seventh, behind the Fitbit Flex but ahead of the One.

In all, Slice found that Fitbit accounted for 61.5 percent of wearable device sales in the first quarter of 2016, while the Apple Watch came in second place with 20.3 percent of all sales. Garmin was found in third at 10.3 percent, Jawbone took fourth with 6 percent, and Misfit was in a distant fifth with a 1.4 percent share.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    why-why- Posts: 305member
    ive never used an apple watch except in store displays but I have to say my initial reaction was surprise at just how tiny it is. maybe its just that I'm used to wearing very large watches but it looks so much bigger on tv........

i mean for something that has a visual maps application and apps like Instagram you'd expect there to be a little more real-estate
    cnocbui
  • Reply 2 of 22
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    why- said:
    ive never used an apple watch except in store displays but I have to say my initial reaction was surprise at just how tiny it is. maybe its just that I'm used to wearing very large watches but it looks so much bigger on tv........

i mean for something that has a visual maps application and apps like Instagram you'd expect there to be a little more real-estate
    The 42mm is the size of the average male watch sold now in thickness and size (just go on web site that sells watches); male watches these days are much larger than 20 years ago, so if you compared it to those old watches, it would be huge.

Having it smaller is a huge advantage for Apple compared to the competition as they can target women, which eventually will be the ones driving sales.
    baconstang
  • Reply 3 of 22
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    foggyhill said:
    why- said:

The 42mm is the size of the average male watch sold now in thickness and size (just go on web site that sells watches); male watches these days are much larger than 20 years ago, so if you compared it to those old watches, it would be huge.

Having it smaller is a huge advantage for Apple compared to the competition as they can target women, which eventually will be the ones driving sales.
    And why exactly is that?
  • Reply 4 of 22
    foggyhill said:
    why- said:

yeah its huge watch-wise but device-wise its the opposite. i just think theyre trying to do way too much with it
  • Reply 5 of 22
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    It's clear Apple's only competition is Fitbit and they'll be gone soon unless they step up their tech.
  • Reply 6 of 22
    NemWanNemWan Posts: 118member
    I often compare the Apple Watch to the 1970s Pulsar digital watches because Pulsar basically invented the proposition of wearable technology as high fashion. Back then humanity hadn't evolved beyond assigning watches a gender identity, so there were distinct mens and ladies models, though I suspect Pulsar "Time Computer" sales skewed even more heavily toward men than Apple's.
    edited May 2016 baconstang
  • Reply 7 of 22
    In this case, the smaller watch is not female per see, more that a smaller watch looks better on a smaller wrist.

nolamacguybaconstang
  • Reply 8 of 22
    redefilerredefiler Posts: 323member
    foggyhill said:
    In this case, the smaller watch is not female per see, more that a smaller watch looks better on a smaller wrist.

Unfortunately not the trend I've seen.  90% of  beta male twerps are wearing massive hunks of crap on their slight little naïf wrists.  Always looks like they are borrowing their dad's watch.

I've notice the same trend applies to the larger phone phenomenon.  Tiny little guys usually carry a big ole phone, doesn't make them appear taller, but sure looks comical.  Add dark or colored socks pulled up to knees in shorts for extra clown points.
  • Reply 9 of 22
    redefiler said:
    foggyhill said:

Unfortunately not the trend I've seen.  90% of  beta male twerps are wearing massive hunks of crap on their slight little naïf wrists.  Always looks like they are borrowing their dad's watch.

I've notice the same trend applies to the larger phone phenomenon.  Tiny little guys usually carry a big ole phone, doesn't make them appear taller, but sure looks comical.  Add dark or colored socks pulled up to knees in shorts for extra clown points.

well everyone has their own reason but I'm sure more than a few men wear giant watches or have huge phones because of some fragile sense of masculinity

but what foggyhill is saying is correct
    baconstang
  • Reply 10 of 22
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    I love mine and it's the 38mm because I have small wrist and I don't want to look like an ass wearing a giant watch. 38mm is perfect for me, and the reason I bought Apple Watch is not for sport (I hate fitbit) but more on a convenience and a fashion statement (I only use leather strap).
    baconstang
  • Reply 11 of 22
    redefiler said:
    foggyhill said:

Good grief, funny how reality, actual sales,differ from your perspective.
    Apple picked 42mm because it's the current average. You know how average with a normal distribution works,
     most clustered around it with everything else, less than 25%, beyond sigma at both ends.
    So, you seeing many watches doesn't prove one thing, except maybe about the crowd you hang out with.

Apple caters to the general public, not your tiny demo in your immediate surroundings.
    edited May 2016 macguibaconstang
  • Reply 12 of 22
    mac_128 said:
    foggyhill said:

And why exactly is that?
    Because they're more into fashion and are generally more involved in social communications of all kind (this is one the watches big draws) and since nobody's making a smart watch actually seem to care about targeting fashion (making a poster with a women with a big ass watch is not it) or women, Apple is currently in the clear there.
    nolamacguybaconstang
  • Reply 13 of 22
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    sog35 said:
    Husband bought Watches. 
    Oh, they are pretty good.
    Wife buys Watch after.

Did you buy watch later?

• Reply 14 of 22
    jakebjakeb Posts: 562member
    Everyone assumes the 42 is the one you're supposed to get if you're male. I have the 38 and it looks much more balanced on my male arm. 

Definitely agree about the gender patterns in selling. I've seen more women on the subway with them as Apple has released the new bands and finishes. As much as people make fun of "new bands", the are responding to people being selective about what they'll wear as what is essentially an electronic item of clothing. 

Fwiw, I have never seen a female wearer of an Android Wear watch or Samsung Gear or Microsoft Band. 
  • Reply 15 of 22
    latifbplatifbp Posts: 544member
    sog35 said:
    Husband bought Watches. 
    Oh, they are pretty good.
    Wife buys Watch after.

I bought my wife an Watch for Christmas. She wouldn't have bought it herself but now she loves it. I'm probably one of many men who is skewing those stats as a male buyer (for a watch that is actually owned by a female).
  • Reply 16 of 22
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    why- said:

That the Watch is smaller than appears on TV and ads is something most internet critics don't seem to pay attention to.  We often hear the criticism that it is too big & bulky, or that someone will say they will buy it when it gets smaller, when in fact it must the the smallest of the "smart watches" out there, and similar in size to most watches you would buy (and definitely smaller than men's fashion watches today, as another poster noted).  

I have the 42mm, and I don't have "large" male wrists - average I guess - but the watch size is perfect.  With the mid-mount of the strap pulling the bottom into wrist a bit, it has a great fit.  

Apple has the opportunity to make a larger one in future - perhaps 44mm - for those with larger wrists.
  • Reply 17 of 22
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    why- said:
    foggyhill said:

yeah its huge watch-wise but device-wise its the opposite. i just think theyre trying to do way too much with it
    it is not huge watch wise. both the 42 and the 38 are much smaller and thinner than popular men's watches today. I've put them next to each other -- AW is thinner than rolexes. 
  • Reply 18 of 22
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member

brucemc said:
    why- said:

That the Watch is smaller than appears on TV and ads is something most internet critics don't seem to pay attention to.
    yeah, I was shocked when I saw it in person. the camera makes it seem much larger than IRL. 
  • Reply 19 of 22
    redefilerredefiler Posts: 323member
    foggyhill said:
    redefiler said:

Good grief, funny how reality, actual sales,differ from your perspective.
    Apple picked 42mm because it's the current average. You know how average with a normal distribution works,
     most clustered around it with everything else, less than 25%, beyond sigma at both ends.
    So, you seeing many watches doesn't prove one thing, except maybe about the crowd you hang out with.

Apple caters to the general public, not your tiny demo in your immediate surroundings.
    It's a known phenomenon in men's shoe sales, the average selling size is well above actual average men's foot sizes.  Why?  Because shorter guys have a tendency to oversize, and it's pretty easy to figure out why.  I also see the same trend in watches, lots of slight male wrists with big ole watches.  Personally I think it looks silly, but ultimately don't think they are fooling anybody.  It seems to work opposite the intent, things like bigger watches and shoes, tend to make the wearer look even smaller.
  • Reply 20 of 22
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,295member
    I have to thank Fitbit for breaking down the stereotype of having an electronic device on the wrist.  Where I work (hospital), Fitbits are as common (if not more common) than conventional watches (with a smattering of AWs).

I think the convetional wisdom of WS that the AW is a failure is wrong.

One year, the AW will have an iPhone 6 like moment where it will take off exponentially.  I suspect that it will be model 3 when the second generation case style debuts.