Apple confirms reports of iTunes music deletion issue, 'safeguards' coming next week

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited May 2016
Apple in a statement Friday said it is investigating reports of a supposed Apple Music compatibility bug that deletes local music files without user permission, adding that an updated version of the media management software is expected for release next week.

Earlier this month media outlets latched onto a blog post from freelance composer James Pinkstone, who claimed iTunes deleted some 122GB of music from his laptop, including original works. After speaking with Apple support representatives, Pinkstone came to the conclusion that the mishap had roots in the way Apple Music and iTunes handles music files.

Specifically, Pinkstone believes Apple Music scanned his iTunes library, matched those tracks with streaming copies -- or uploaded originals -- then automatically removed the local files. If true, this technique poses an obvious problem for users who later unsubscribe from Apple Music.

As some have pointed out, however, iTunes' song matching mechanism does not remove local files without user authorization.

Apple provided comment on the matter to The Loop.

"In an extremely small number of cases users have reported that music files saved on their computer were removed without their permission," Apple said. "We're taking these reports seriously as we know how important music is to our customers and our teams are focused on identifying the cause. We have not been able to reproduce this issue, however, we're releasing an update to iTunes early next week which includes additional safeguards. If a user experiences this issue they should contact AppleCare."

It is unclear why Pinkstone's library was erroneously removed from his computer (luckily he had a backup), though members of Apple's Support Communities forums suggest the culprit could be a database bug in the latest version of iTunes.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 39
    tokyojimutokyojimu Posts: 532member
    I battle iTunes bugs every day (mostly related to syncing). I'm not surprised.
  • Reply 2 of 39
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member
    "this technique poses an obvious problem for users who later unsubscribe from Apple Music."

Who would un-subscribe without first downloading (i.e. 're-downloading') their entire library back onto their computer?
    pulseimages
  • Reply 3 of 39
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    Thank god I rarely use iTunes. POS software.
    lord amhrancnocbuitechloversingularity
  • Reply 4 of 39
    Sorry but Apple doesn't put out shit.  If you can't appreciate the genius that is iTunes then maybe you'd be happier with Google's iTunes clone and on some other site.
    edited May 2016 pulseimagesbaconstangpscooter63
  • Reply 5 of 39
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,599member
    Sorry but Apple doesn't put out shit.  If you can't appreciate the genius that is iTunes then maybe you'd be happier with Google's iTunes clone and on some other site.
    Well I don't think Google has anything that remotely resembles iTunes.
    baconstang
  • Reply 6 of 39
    RosynaRosyna Posts: 87member
    A simple database bug doesn't explain why people claimed their music was deleted from their drive. A database bug would only lose reference to the file on disk and would either force a file locate dialog or a download from Apple Music.
    pscooter63
  • Reply 7 of 39
    jonljonl Posts: 210member
    iTunes is really quite good for local music. I've always disabled all the Internet-related features, and I manage my own metadata with Mp3tag. It's fast with my large library and has never touched my files.
    pulseimagesbaconstangpscooter63
  • Reply 8 of 39
    lord amhranlord amhran Posts: 902member
    Mobile Me, Hi-Fi iPod, iTools...
    singularity
  • Reply 9 of 39
    danoxdanox Posts: 3,284member
    Mobile Me, Hi-Fi iPod, iTools...
    Still have Apple Hi-Fi, and it just will not die, just like a iPad.
    mike1nolamacguybaconstang
  • Reply 10 of 39
    staticx57staticx57 Posts: 405member
    gatorguy said:
    Well I don't think Google has anything that remotely resembles iTunes.
    Perhaps this is a parody account.
  • Reply 11 of 39
    noivadnoivad Posts: 186member
    When iTunes Match was first released, I signed up. A bug a few months later (January timeframe) deleted about 10 albums, and many lossless files were replaced with 256AAC files. Luckily, I still had the CDs for most of them so I had to painstakingly rerip many CDs (about 50 I think) and track down which albums were gone. I permanently lost a handful irreplaceable albums (due to it being original music or the fact that the CDs are so rare they’d would cost over $50 a piece unless you get lucky). Some I no longer had the CD for so I had to repurchase them. I’ve since replaced everything I could for about the retailer cost of the 2 Apple lightning connectors Apple send me as a way to compensate me. I think this bug goes further back then they think, and it is very rare. Unfortunately, for the few it strikes (those with very large DBs it seems—my iTunes library was about 400GB lossless then AFAIR) it can be anywhere from a major headache (spending hours reripping) to devastating (never hearing a memorable performance that was erased). Because of this clusterF, I decided to ditch iTunes Match after the first year, and no longer trust Apple’s sync service since it often overwrote my updated tag data & would take hours to sync sometimes.

Their music sync service violates one of the first tenets of software: “user input/data is sacred.” Of course that was written long before a good number of Apple Employees were born (~1984). So I can see why something like that is overlooked.

Anyway, if there’s a class action lawsuit over this, I will probably opt-in since I did lose irreplaceable audio files of my friends’ performances that can never be recreated.
    edited May 2016 unbeliever2baconstangpscooter63stevenozargonaut
  • Reply 12 of 39
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    there won't be any silly class action lawsuit. 

if you don't have a backup of your priceless CD rips, you're an idiot. music is no different than photos or docs -- your hard drive WILL fail one day. you should have a second copy and preferably an off-site. Backblaze is dollars a month for all your stuff...with a great remote access app to boot. what are you waiting for?!
    netmageunbeliever2tmayargonaut
  • Reply 13 of 39
    wonkothesanewonkothesane Posts: 1,738member

if you don't have a backup of your priceless CD rips, you're an idiot. music is no different than photos or docs -- your hard drive WILL fail one day. you should have a second copy and preferably an off-site. Backblaze is dollars a month for all your stuff...with a great remote access app to boot. what are you waiting for?!
    Well, yes and a bit no as well here. Of course nothing to debate in the backup side. OTOH Apple is strongly suggesting to trust their iCloud and related services as a seamless replacement for local storage.

Hence its no surprise IMO that some people   consider having their photos, music and other media in the cloud a valid replacement for a backup. 
    baconstang
  • Reply 14 of 39
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Earlier this month media outlets latched onto a blog post from freelance composer James Pinkstone, who claimed iTunes deleted some 122GB of music from his laptop, including original works. After speaking with Apple support representatives, Pinkstone came to the conclusion that the mishap had roots in the way Apple Music and iTunes handles music files.

Specifically, Pinkstone believes Apple Music scanned his iTunes library, matched those tracks with streaming copies -- or uploaded originals -- then automatically removed the local files
    And people wonder why I’m skeptical of the “cloud-only” future that so many companies want to push.
    baconstangpscooter63tmaystevenoz
  • Reply 15 of 39
    Apple was reborn with 4 product lines - iMacs, iBooks, PowerMacs and PowerBooks. Rock solid quality.

Now there are watches, iPads, MacBooks, MacBook Airs, MacBook Pros, Mac Pros (no update in almost 3 years), Mac Minis, Spaceship campus, electric cars, iPhones, Apple TV, OS X, iTunes, Beats... Just look back to 1995 to see what's wrong with this picture.
    tallest skillord amhran
  • Reply 16 of 39
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    bdkennedy said:
    Apple was reborn with 4 product lines - iMacs, iBooks, PowerMacs and PowerBooks. Rock solid quality.

Now there are watches, iPads, MacBooks, MacBook Airs, MacBook Pros, Mac Pros (no update in almost 3 years), Mac Minis, Spaceship campus, electric cars, iPhones, Apple TV, OS X, iTunes, Beats... Just look back to 1995 to see what's wrong with this picture.

Are you seriously counting the Spaceship Campus as a product line?

How much do you think they'll sell them for? If I buy a Spaceship Campus online, will I be able to collect it from my local Apple Store?

While you're at it, why not count Ive's Bentley and Jobs's yacht?

edited May 2016 tallest skilnetmagemwhitebaconstangtmayargonaut
  • Reply 17 of 39

Well, yes and a bit no as well here. Of course nothing to debate in the backup side. OTOH Apple is strongly suggesting to trust their iCloud and related services as a seamless replacement for local storage.

Yes, when people say things like 'Apple strongly suggest' that usually means is 'this is what I've decided Apple means inside my own head'.

What Apple says is that if you put things on iCloud then it will show up on all your devices. What Apple also says is that if you delete an item it will be removed from all your devices. 

Now I'm not the sharpest tool in the box, but even I wasnt surprised to find that deleting something from iCloud also deleted it from every device connected to iCloud. That's kind of how the Cloud works. iCloud is not a backup tape drive, it's a syncing engine. 

And even if Apple did say it was a replacement for local storage then I don't see the problem: local storage still needs to be backed up. 
    baconstangtmayargonaut
  • Reply 18 of 39

For someone to protect their most precious stuff for free, I suspect.

• Reply 19 of 39
    "Apple confirms reports …'

says a lot, and so does,

"In an extremely small number of cases users have reported that music files saved on their computer were removed without their permission,"

'Reported' but they're unable to repeat the problem or find the cause. It could be a bug, or it could be caused by something else the user is doing (like giving their permission) or something else that is interacting with their iTunes setup, possibly even bugs in OSX.

So it's time for some defensive programming: stop iTunes from deleting files at all. Nuke the delete instructions from orbit; it's the only way to be sure.

Think databases: never delete anything. Just move files to an archive folder.
    baconstangargonaut
  • Reply 20 of 39
    bdkennedy said:

Yes, things were so much better then. Clearly, the iPhone was one product too many…

edited May 2016