Leaked screens show Siri in Apple's upcoming OS X 10.12 with always-on 'Hey Siri'

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 58
    stevehsteveh Posts: 480member
    knowitall said:
    It cannot be 'renamed back' because it was never 'MacOS'.
    The Mac's operating system was officially named "Mac OS" as of 7.5.1, becoming "Mac OS X" with the release of Kodiak, which was the Mac OS X public beta release.

It didn't become "OS X" (dropping the "Mac" prefix) until Mountain Lion, OS X 10.8.

Space or no space in the name, it spent years officially named Mac OS.
    cornchipration alwelshdogelijahg
  • Reply 42 of 58
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    Personal assistant are hard to scale. It was easier for Amazon to do it than for Apple or Google. Now that we see that Google has made it, there is no reason for Siri to trail behind. What is reassuring is that even with the advantage that Google has with their search, they are not that far ahead. I'm hoping for a great Apple Search soon. But then again, the still terrible search in Maps isn't reassuring at all.
    patchythepirate
  • Reply 43 of 58
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    cali said:

Go all the way and buy Microsoft then we might have decent games on Steam too!  
    Huh?

I thought Steam games were identical on both platforms?

I wasn't kidding about Cortana either. I mean give it a few years and Windows phones will be forgotten. At the least Apple could license Cortana algorithms and she can live on in iPhone...
    In theory perhaps.  However, just try getting GTA V on Steam for the Mac (just one example).  That said running Windows 10 on my Mac I can run such things no problem, especially now AMD have finally released Crimson drivers for the dual GPUs in a nMac Pro and full Catalyst.  My Mac even smoked the Steam VR Tools test running Windows 10, HTC Vive here I come :).
    cali
  • Reply 44 of 58
    why-why- Posts: 305member
    looks pretty
  • Reply 45 of 58
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,898member
    steveh said:
    knowitall said:
    The Mac's operating system was officially named "Mac OS" as of 7.5.1, becoming "Mac OS X" with the release of Kodiak, which was the Mac OS X public beta release.

It didn't become "OS X" (dropping the "Mac" prefix) until Mountain Lion, OS X 10.8.

Thank you for explaining that so politely. I was going to do it in a much more rude fashion.
    tallest skil
  • Reply 46 of 58
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    welshdog said:
    steveh said:

Thank you for explaining that so politely. I was going to do it in a much more rude fashion.

Appropriate OS names.

Things geeks argue about.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 47 of 58
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Watch, it won’t work on anything older than computers made in 2013.
    knowitall said:
    welshdog said:

Close, but no cigar.
    Yeah, see, it’s things like this that upset me most about the world today. It’s the cause of every problem.
    edited May 2016
  • Reply 48 of 58
    tokyojimutokyojimu Posts: 529member
    I rarely type out texts and just use Siri. Sometimes I need to edit a bit afterwards, but it's way better than typing the entire text out. I'm hoping I can do that with messages on my Mac.
    Technically, that's not Siri; it's just dictation. Also, OS X has had dictation for a while. Double-tap the "fn" key by default to start dictating. 
  • Reply 49 of 58
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member
    volcan said:
    knowitall said:

Your not much of a programmer then.
    It is already starting to happen. Just look at all the Javascript frameworks, CMS, tempting engines, playgrounds and realtime debugging. Many people are building websites without any knowledge of code whatsoever. Perhaps you are a genius programmer of some sort, but I still don't understand why you would come back with a personal attack instead of some thoughtful rebuttal, and I will mention that I do have a degree in computer science and have been coding for almost 20 years. The people who know me and depend on my programming skills consider me quite talented, and Fast, at putting together useful applications of all sorts.

Sure we aren't quite there with the voice commanded AI but I sincerely believe it is right around the corner. Of course there will always be high end programmers just like there are people today who write compilers and languages, but I don't think someone would say that you are not much of a programmer because you can't write assembly language, or maybe you do, but that was still a dick comment.
    I started writing in assembly as a child and am a compiler programmer.
    So that answers your question.

Edit:
    I might add that a programmer can be seen as a general problem solver and to be able to do that needs all kinds of skills like abstraction (data structures, design patterns, modeling, simulation, OO you name it) and factual knowledge especially regarding the stuff you program on (hence knowledge of machine languages) and be fluent in several computer languages. It is also essential to be excellent in logic and have some math skills. Another general requirement is that you learn fast.
    My comment wasn't necessarily meant as a personal attack, altough your interpretation is such.
    It was merely meant to indicate your seemingly lack of knowledge about the state of AI (something a programmer should know a lot about), but I guess I should have indicated that right away.

edited May 2016
  • Reply 50 of 58
    steveh said:
    knowitall said:

No, it always included a number.
  • Reply 51 of 58
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Google announced Google Assistant at I/O today. From what I'm seeing in my Twitter feed it sounds impressive. home.google.com

Google only do things for the benefit of their database of everyone who uses anything to do with Google. This seems to me to be an ideal tool to slurp all sorts of nice bits of data about you and what you do and who you contact etc etc.
    I stopped using any Google service over a year ago and have no intention of going back. Why would I want to give them information on me? What do I get in return apart from a load of uselss adverts for stuff I don't want to buy.

Google Drive? Google Photos? Neither one "snoops" and they're both pretty good IMHO. As for the adverts you'd see them even if Google had never existed. At least the BigG can give you something more useful than a few targeted ads that you can opt out of if you wish. 
    morrolan
  • Reply 52 of 58
    why-why- Posts: 305member

Watch, it won’t work on anything older than computers made in 2013.
    well yeah, hardware constraints, right?
  • Reply 53 of 58
    williamlondonwilliamlondon Posts: 1,324member
    gatorguy said:
    Google only do things for the benefit of their database of everyone who uses anything to do with Google. This seems to me to be an ideal tool to slurp all sorts of nice bits of data about you and what you do and who you contact etc etc.
    I stopped using any Google service over a year ago and have no intention of going back. Why would I want to give them information on me? What do I get in return apart from a load of uselss adverts for stuff I don't want to buy.

Google Drive? Google Photos? Neither one "snoops" and they're both pretty good IMHO. As for the adverts you'd see them even if Google had never existed. At least the BigG can give you something more useful than a few targeted ads that you can opt out of if you wish. 
    Huh?

"When you upload, submit, store, send or receive content to or through our Services, you give Google (and those we work with) a worldwide license to use, host, store, reproduce, modify, create derivative works (such as those resulting from translations, adaptations or other changes we make so that your content works better with our Services), communicate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute such content.
    Our automated systems analyze your content (including emails) to provide you personally relevant product features, such as customized search results, tailored advertising, and spam and malware detection."

According to Google, all of their services snoop, and not just slightly at the surface. The only thing you can opt-out of is interest based ads served from Google. They will still snoop on you and collect all the information, they'll even share it with others, and their opt out clause doesn't mean that 3rd parties won't still serve you interest based ads, they are not obligated by Google's opt-out. There are even nasty clauses in the privacy and terms of service policies that claim if they identify separately who you are specifically, then they are allowed to know you at an even more personal level forever.

Where does it say that neither Google Drive nor Google Photos snoop on you?

Oh, but you were jesting, right? Not even funny in sarcasm, that.
    edited May 2016 patchythepirate
  • Reply 54 of 58
    why- said:
    Yes, but what possible constraints could there be to stop it from working on all the machines on which... what do they call the current version? I CAN’T EVNE FUCKING REMEMBER THE CURRETN VERSION OF OS X. Fuck, I’m going to be dead soon. 
  • Reply 55 of 58
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    why- said:
    Yes, but what possible constraints could there be to stop it from working on all the machines on which... what do they call the current version? I CAN’T EVNE FUCKING REMEMBER THE CURRETN VERSION OF OS X. Fuck, I’m going to be dead soon. 
    TS, I thought that you've been dead for a couple of years, now ... And your posts are being periodically submitted by some PMP (Post Mortum Posting) app ;D

• Reply 56 of 58
    dick applebaum said:
    your posts are being periodically submitted by some PMP (Post Mortum Posting) app ;D
    I could probably do that. Run a thread search for “iPhone [any number]” and reply “You mean iPhone [any number+1]” or something.
  • Reply 57 of 58
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    knowitall said:
    steveh said:

Well that changes everything.
    tallest skil
  • Reply 58 of 58
    crowley said:
    knowitall said:
    Well that changes everything.
    Your right, it does.