Eric Schmidt says he uses an iPhone, but claims to prefer Samsung's Galaxy

Comments

• Reply 21 of 73
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    badmonk said:
    To those who say it doesn't matter which device he uses, you are wrong.  Google has bet the bank that android was going to be their power move...the fact he uses an iPhone is a big deal.

Not sure what you mean by "power move" so maybe expound on that? I've always understood, and DED agreed IIRC, that Android was meant to ensure Google remained relevant in search and ads on mobile instead of being blocked by MS. If so they were immensely successful, probably more so than they had ever anticipated. 
  • Reply 22 of 73
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    gatorguy said:
    Who cares. It's business. 
    I'd say it speaks volumes.  Anyone thinking otherwise is suffering from self delusion.
    magman1979
  • Reply 23 of 73
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    gatorguy said:
    cali said:
    Yes it is. Trust me they hate me and I destroy them daily on YouTube(their hometowm). It's a hobby of mine.
    Well OK then. :)
    I mean seriously what's the alternative?
    all I see is "Galaxy S7 is superior" every now and then sprinkled with a little HTC.

cali said:
    Yes it is. Trust me they hate me and I destroy them daily on YouTube(their hometowm). It's a hobby of mine.
    He who hunts monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster
    Oh no worries I already have
    :smile: 
    I call them how I see them and don't hold back anymore.
    magman1979pscooter63
  • Reply 24 of 73
    gatorguy said:
    Who cares. It's business. 
    I'd say it speaks volumes.  Anyone thinking otherwise is suffering from self delusion.
    Google uses 40,000 Macs too, so they obviously have no real issues with Apple and it's products. It's more a fan-driven thing to play the enemy card IMHO. It is fun tho isn't it? 
    edited May 2016 singularitycnocbui
  • Reply 25 of 73
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Obviously, the iPhone is his main phone and the S7 is for plausible deniability and PR purposes. Also, you'd think he would be using a Nexus instead, if it was a decent phone.
    calipscooter63netmage
  • Reply 26 of 73
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    This is not new news.  Schmidt has been an iPhone user since the first iPhone.  And he has never been able to make the switch to Android.  
    jbdragonviclauyyc
  • Reply 27 of 73
    slurpy said:
    Obviously, the iPhone is his main phone and the S7 is for plausible deniability and PR purposes. Also, you'd think he would be using a Nexus instead, if it was a decent phone.
    His previous phone was a Blackberry, so it's not as tho he doesn't typically use whatever device suits his needs. Choice is good. 
    edited May 2016
  • Reply 28 of 73
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    I could care less like most about what this D bag uses.
    "couldn't" or it doesn't make sense.
  • Reply 29 of 73
    baconstangbaconstang Posts: 1,108member
    Right Eric.
    And I prefer Google search, but I use Duck Duck Go.
    calijbdragonpscooter63
  • Reply 30 of 73
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    evilution said:
    I could care less like most about what this D bag uses.
    "couldn't" or it doesn't make sense.
    It does. It is widely accepted idiom in the US.
    cali
  • Reply 31 of 73

Schmidt carries both an iPhone 6s and a Samsung Galaxy S7, he told CNBC during an event in Amsterdam. Asked which one he prefers, Schmidt gave the nod to Samsung.

"Samsung S7 is better. It has a better battery. And those of you who are iPhone users (know) I'm right," Schmidt is quoted as saying.

Perhaps the most surprising admission is not that Schmidt uses an iPhone -- he was spotted snapping photos with an iPhone earlier this year -- but that his Android device is made by Samsung, rather than Google.

Google partners with mobile phone makers to produce a line of Nexus devices, which run pure Android and are designed as showcase machines for the mobile platform. Nexus phones are held in mostly high regard, and it would seem a logical choice for Schmidt to carry the latest and greatest from his own firm.
    Nexus phones are simply meant as solid reference designs for new Android features and versions. The OEM's would of course be expected to take that hardware set and add their own flair to it. Some will be more premium and fully-features while others might be more basic. So Nexus smartphones aren't meant to be the latest, greatest top-of-the-line premium Android handsets, tho they're certainly not shabby for the price. I'd expect some folks would be willing to pay more for larger/higher res screens, or more input choices and functions, or larger battery's or. . . 
    cnocbui
  • Reply 32 of 73
    redstaterredstater Posts: 49member
    As Google makes more money off iOS than it does on Android (for now anyway) then this is entirely appropriate and not the least bit conflicting or surprising. Being multi-platform has its benefits, and this is something that Google and Amazon have long exploited, and Microsoft is now learning to exploit also. Oh, and what Apple does to a lesser degree also: iTunes on Windows and Apple Music/Beats on Android for example. So Eric Schmidt prefers his iPhone (but cannot for obvious business and public relations reasons admit it). So long as hundreds of millions of Android users disagree - and all evidence points to this being the case - it is no issue at all.
  • Reply 33 of 73
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    cali said:
    What I find funny about these articles is that the anti Apple morons always have excuses for these people using iPhone, "oh they're just studying the competition so it's not so bad!"

Now imagine if Tim Cook or Jony Ive were caught using a Galaxy phone?

"They're just testing the competition" excuse suddenly wouldn't be valid and the media would have an ABSOLUTE CIRCUS about it.

P.S. Fandroids all claim the S7 has the superior camera in the industry. Why is an android God snapping photos with an iPhone instead?
    The funny thing is that the tests done are static (basically tripod tests); in ideal conditions, yes the Samsung has right now a slightly better camera.

In movement, when you need a quick shot setup especially in tough conditions, or when you need to take several quick shots, well the advantage is just about zero or even negative. The DSP assist and OIS on the Iphone is in general better. That's reflected in the Iphone's very good video performance.
    That counts a lot in what you actually assess a real camera.

That's why they call the Iphone camera well balanced, it doesn't focus on just one thing.

edited May 2016 calimagman1979jbdragonnetmage
  • Reply 34 of 73
    As I am now leaving Apple, I was so happy to get rid of my iPhone 6s+ and trade it in for a Samsung S7 Edge. While I did need to do some tinkering, like change the theme, and download nova launcher, the phone has been freaking awesome. Notification that disappear when you access the app, or do things like view Facebook from a web browser. A back button that does not disappear when you lock the phone, multi screen, solid build, better fit in the hand, better implementation of widgets, place icons anywhere I want to on the screen, less used apps can just stay in the app drawer to avoid clutter, etc etc. I am very happy with my choice, though I understand that there are many who love the iPhone, and I even understand why, though excuses like better apps, better ecosystem are just plane lame. With an iPhone you just turn it on and go to town... there is no need to customize, tight integration with other Apple products, etc. My girlfriend got my 6S+ and is very happy with it, she flirts with getting the same device as mine, but I caution her to play with my phone first before making the decision to jump. If Eric Schmidt likes the iPhone better, he should just own up to it. Alphabet (Google), is a very open company where technology is concerned... You can see people using a mixture of products even on the same team. Seeing groups of people using Macs, Windows, and Linux side by side is not unheard of.
    apple v. samsung
  • Reply 35 of 73
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    cali said:

P.S. Fandroids all claim the S7 has the superior camera in the industry. Why is an android God snapping photos with an iPhone instead?
    It could be because Schmidt was taking the photo with the iPhone on the 9th of March and the S7 didn't go on sale until the 11th.
    singularity
  • Reply 36 of 73
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    foggyhill said:
    cali said:
    What I find funny about these articles is that the anti Apple morons always have excuses for these people using iPhone, "oh they're just studying the competition so it's not so bad!"

"They're just testing the competition" excuse suddenly wouldn't be valid and the media would have an ABSOLUTE CIRCUS about it.

The funny thing is that the tests done are static (basically tripod tests); in ideal conditions, yes the Samsung has right now a slightly better camera.

In movement, when you need a quick shot setup especially in tough conditions, or when you need to take several quick shots, well the advantage is just about zero or even negative. The DSP assist and OIS on the Iphone is in general better. That's reflected in the Iphone's very good video performance.
    That counts a lot in what you actually assess a real camera.

That's why they call the Iphone camera well balanced, it doesn't focus on just one thing.

No, if you need to take photos quickly, the auto focus of the S7, especially in low light situations, is considerably faster.

I also think Apple are doing some DSP to modify skin tones and I personally don't like the result.  The audio recording quality with video on the iPhone 6S+ only uses a single mic and high compression and results are not very good.

edited May 2016
  • Reply 37 of 73
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    cnocbui said:
    cali said:

It could be because Schmidt was taking the photo with the iPhone on the 9th of March and the S7 didn't go on sale until the 11th.
    Either way he could have used his S6 since the iPhone is supposedly such crap.

As I am now leaving Apple, I was so happy to get rid of my iPhone 6s+ and trade it in for a Samsung S7 Edge. While I did need to do some tinkering, like change the theme, and download nova launcher, the phone has been freaking awesome. Notification that disappear when you access the app, or do things like view Facebook from a web browser. A back button that does not disappear when you lock the phone, multi screen, solid build, better fit in the hand, better implementation of widgets, place icons anywhere I want to on the screen, less used apps can just stay in the app drawer to avoid clutter, etc etc. I am very happy with my choice, though I understand that there are many who love the iPhone, and I even understand why, though excuses like better apps, better ecosystem are just plane lame. With an iPhone you just turn it on and go to town... there is no need to customize, tight integration with other Apple products, etc. My girlfriend got my 6S+ and is very happy with it, she flirts with getting the same device as mine, but I caution her to play with my phone first before making the decision to jump. If Eric Schmidt likes the iPhone better, he should just own up to it. Alphabet (Google), is a very open company where technology is concerned... You can see people using a mixture of products even on the same team. Seeing groups of people using Macs, Windows, and Linux side by side is not unheard of.
    Maybe Goog employees use a variety of devices because android knockoffs suck.

Better apps and the Best ecosystem are "lame excuses" REALLY?
    I'd say those are the best reasons to own an iPhone. Vertical hardware/software would be my favorite reason, and I support artists.

• Reply 38 of 73
    sector7gsector7g Posts: 156member
    in Schmidt's defense he would have used his galaxy to take the photo but the battery was dead.
    cali
  • Reply 39 of 73
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,245member
    macxpress said:
    Slow news day I guess...who cares who uses what. 

I care. If the big boss of a company can't stand behind his own product, then what does that say about the product?
    calinetmage
  • Reply 40 of 73
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,245member

cali said:

I remember years ago (back in the powerbook days) that Steve Jobs used an IBM/Windows computer. He was quoted as saying he needed it for certain business functions. Can't find the citation just now, but I am certain of this.

The PowerBook was created by Apple prior to Steve returning, so Steve was not at Apple, and not behind the Mac at the time. However, he still viewed the Mac as superior to Windows in terms of user experience, at least its primary principles, and that laid a lot of groundwork for the work that he did at NeXT. As you know, NextStep eventually become Mac OS X.
    edited May 2016 cali