China's Xiaomi shows off new $460 4K camera drone

Posted:
in General Discussion
The race to the bottom has reached the drone market, as infamous copycat Xiaomi on Wednesday revealed a pair of new camera-equipped drones that work with the company's smartphones.

The Mi Drone will come in two flavors, differentiated by the on-board camera. A version toting a 4K shooter will run ?2,999 ($460), while a 1080p model will come in at ?2,499.

Interestingly, Xiaomi will turn to crowdfunding for development of the lower-resolution edition, with a campaign beginning tomorrow. The company says the 4K version will skip that process and launch in limited beta later this summer.

Both models feature a three-axis gimbal which -- like many of the drone's other components -- can be replaced by the user.

A Mi smartphone will be required for control, and it will do double duty as a viewfinder for the camera. Xiaomi says that the drone's 5,100 mAh battery will be good for approximately 27 minutes of flight time.

As with competing products -- including those from fellow Chinese firm DJI -- the Mi Drone will be capable of automatically taking off, landing, navigating via GPS waypoints, and returning to the controller. It remains to be seen how these features will stack up with market leader DJI's in real-world use, given the extreme price difference between the two.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 43
    frankiefrankie Posts: 381member
    Well they sure are good at ripping people off and copying their ideas.  Jeez.  Screw these guys I would never support them.
    SpamSandwichjbdragonmagman1979
  • Reply 2 of 43
    wigbywigby Posts: 692member
    frankie said:
    Well they sure are good at ripping people off and copying their ideas.  Jeez.  Screw these guys I would never support them.
    Welcome to the tech industry. Sorry but every company including Apple "rips off" ideas and makes them their own. Remember "good artists copy, great artists steal"? Same principle here. It might not be how business or the law works but it's precisely how technology and science works.
    joedhimselfafrodricnocbui
  • Reply 3 of 43
    jdgazjdgaz Posts: 404member
    As an added feature all of your video is saved and evaluated at PRC headquarters and will be used to seek ransom from unsuspecting folks.
  • Reply 4 of 43
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member
    Um where is Apple's drone?

They ain't copying Apple on this one..... 
  • Reply 5 of 43
    nowhere does it says you are required to use a mi smartphone
    512ke said:

Said no Fan boy ever
  • Reply 6 of 43
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    When intellectual property is not an obstacle, anything is quickly possible.

If that's not the case, then they will start selling this in the US soon.
    jbdragon
  • Reply 7 of 43
    techlovertechlover Posts: 879member
    I read the title and the lead, and was convinced it was written by DED.

Saw its not DED but AI staff.

-_-

Expected DED.
  • Reply 8 of 43
    wigby said:
    frankie said:
    Welcome to the tech industry. Sorry but every company including Apple "rips off" ideas and makes them their own. Remember "good artists copy, great artists steal"? Same principle here. It might not be how business or the law works but it's precisely how technology and science works.
    Well, in the case of Chinese companies, many of deliberately stolen (yes, in the real sense of the word) IP.
    So, arguing a complete separate point is well, pointless.
    If it's a different implementation, this is fine; otherwise it is not.
    magman1979
  • Reply 9 of 43
    joshajosha Posts: 901member
    jdgaz said:
    As an added feature all of your video is saved and evaluated at PRC headquarters and will be used to seek ransom from unsuspecting folks.
    I warn you drones, if you pass over my property my trusty slingshot will put you down!  :p
    jbdragon
  • Reply 10 of 43
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    Hey.  Kickstarter people.
    I'd pay up to $100 for a drone signal-jamming transmitter.
    Push the button, signal is jammed, drone operator can't get their now-cliché hover shot.
    Note: the jamming signal will only cause momentary loss of directional control, not crashing.
    Net effect: drone operator thinks there's a defect and wants their money back (again and again.)
    magman1979
  • Reply 11 of 43
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member
    nowhere does it says you are required to use a mi smartphone
    512ke said:

Said no Fan boy ever
    Hey I'm a huge Fan of Apple, but the first line of the article refers to " infamous copycat Xiaomi" -- yet Xiami is not copying Apple with this product. They're joining the crowded field of quadcopter drones but with a pretty cool 4K res and 27 minutes of flying time. I don't know sh*t about drones but that actually sounds pretty cool. No?
    afrodri
  • Reply 12 of 43
    staticx57staticx57 Posts: 405member
    sockrolid said:
    Push the button, signal is jammed, drone operator can't get their now-cliché hover shot.
    Note: the jamming signal will only cause momentary loss of directional control, not crashing.
    Net effect: drone operator thinks there's a defect and wants their money back (again and again.)
    What gives you the right to do this?
    afrodrimuppetry
  • Reply 13 of 43
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    wigby said:
    frankie said:
    Except Xiaomi cannot even import their product into the US due to their flagrant patent violations. That works out fine for them in China, the home of IP theft, but not in the US.
    jbdragonmagman1979
  • Reply 14 of 43
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    staticx57 said:
    sockrolid said:
    Self defense and privacy are basic rights.

If I saw a drone hovering outside my window, I think that shooting it down is a valid response.
  • Reply 15 of 43
    staticx57staticx57 Posts: 405member
    apple ][ said:
    staticx57 said:
    Self defense and privacy are basic rights.

If I saw a drone hovering outside my window, I think that shooting it down is a valid response.
    No where in this narrative is th drone on your property. You have zero right to disturb someone else's right to fly and take pictures/video.

https://www.aclu.org/know-your-rights/photographers-what-do-if-you-are-stopped-or-detained-taking-photographs
    edited May 2016
  • Reply 16 of 43
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    josha said:
    jdgaz said:
    I warn you drones, if you pass over my property my trusty slingshot will put you down!  :p
    And that is against the law to fire upon an airborn vehicle.  Check the laws as the FAA says so.

sockrolid said:
    And if I am in the right to fly it, what right do you have to interfere?  As long as I am not over your property, below a certain height which I can't recall, I would be in the right.  Although, etiquette says to stay away from places you should not be.
    muppetry
  • Reply 17 of 43
    igorskyigorsky Posts: 757member
    wigby said:
    frankie said:

Well if every company does it it's because of nonchalant attitudes towards stealing like the one you're expressing here.
  • Reply 18 of 43
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    sockrolid said:
    But because jammers are generally indiscriminate, affecting all devices in an area, U.S. federal law prohibits their marketing, sale and use on public or private property. Offenders can receive hefty fines or time in prison. While there are limited exceptions for the use of jammers by authorized federal agencies, state and local governments are not permitted to use them, according to the U.S. Federal Communications Commission.

staticx57
  • Reply 19 of 43
    icoco3 said:
    josha said:
    And that is against the law to fire upon an airborn vehicle.  Check the laws as the FAA says so.

And if I am in the right to fly it, what right do you have to interfere?  As long as I am not over your property, below a certain height which I can't recall, I would be in the right.  Although, etiquette says to stay away from places you should not be.
    I've had several drones pass over my property just in the last god damn month; soon they're going to be "accidentally" destroyed on sight if I'm there to catch them.

Last year, happened once that I know about; this year, so many times already that I've using my security cameras to count and ID them.
    There are seemingly 3 dumbass culprits and I'm now trying to track them down.

I'm not going to stand having swarms of giant mosquitoes flying by!

magman1979
  • Reply 20 of 43
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    foggyhill said:
    icoco3 said:

I've had several drones pass over my property just in the last god damn month; soon they're going to be "accidentally" destroyed on sight if I'm there to catch them.

Last year, happened once that I know about; this year, so many times already that I've using my security cameras to count and ID them.
    There are seemingly 3 dumbass culprits and I'm now trying to track them down.

I'm not going to stand having swarms of giant mosquitoes flying by!

Find the perpetrator...also, a camera with zoom lenses, see if they are registered then turn them into the FAA.  If you shot, you are the one that will be in trouble even though just about everyone might agree with you position, the FAA takes a different view.