Apple's Siri-based Echo competitor could come with facial recognition camera, ship in 2017

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    NY1822NY1822 Posts: 621member
    why would we have any reason to believe apple wants to compete in this space, since Amazon hasnt released any sales numbers? i mean, it's a bluetooth speaker you can give basic vocal commands to. like my car. big deal?
    watch any YouTube video on Echo and you will get a headache after 45 seconds of hearing the person say "Alexa...Alexa...Alexa".....
  • Reply 22 of 25
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    Face Recognition, is that a signal for Full Apple TV Set? I cant imagine Apple bringing out another iSight Camera to stick on top of TV.

The cost of panel is roughly 70%. The cost of electronics components is roughly 20%. Given How smart TV are evolving, along with Wireless and Network capability, we are expecting the cost of components shift closer to 25% and Panel moving to 65%.

The life time of TV, or the panel is roughly 10 years. While the electronics goes anywhere from 24 months to 36 months before update requirement. Chinese Manufacturing are already trying to decopule the TV Panel and the controller electronic logic.

I continue to see having so many controller and User action just to get on Apple's TV ecosystem and important UX problem. And unless Apple TV can control the TV swtiching channels as well as HDMI input all with their remote or iPhone ( collabration with TV makers ), I dont see how Apple solving this otherwise then making their own TV Sets.

Adding all these into the Facial Recongition rumor. Would you trust any other company Manufactuer to have a Cam on your TV other then Apple?
    edited May 2016
  • Reply 23 of 25
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    why would we have any reason to believe apple wants to compete in this space, since Amazon hasnt released any sales numbers? i mean, it's a bluetooth speaker you can give basic vocal commands to. like my car. big deal?
    Do you have an Amazon account? If so you can take "Alexa" for a spin from your browser just to see what her capabilities are. 
    https://echosim.io/welcome?next=/
  • Reply 24 of 25
    stevo-nzstevo-nz Posts: 11member
    I'm guessing Apple is throwing the kitchen sink at the car R&D cos they're most certainly not innovating much anywhere else.
  • Reply 25 of 25
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Apple's rumored Amazon Echo competitor could reportedly include a camera for facial recognition, but may have to wait until 2017 to hit store shelves.

It'd be nice if they included voice recognition too!