Elon Musk expects 'Apple Car' to be late to market, estimates volume production by 2020

Comments

• Reply 21 of 82
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member

I would rather have an Apple car than a Tesla. 
    Apple has higher quality standards than Tesla.
    Apple's car wouldn't have all the flaws that Tesla has.  The flaws are so numerous, Consumer Reports was forced to place Tesla on its not-recommended list.

Musk's Apple remarks show his sour grapes attitude.
    Have you looked closely at many Apple products lately?  I would say they're filled with flaws, bugs, and shoddy design (along with slow development speed). It's not the same company it was several years ago, and I doubt that a logistics guy like Tim Cook can lead Apple into a major new venture like cars without a lot of mistakes. 

Tesla has had a tremendous head start, has a lot of credibility in the market and has a CEO who has very strong product and strategic instincts, which is not something you can seriously say for Tim Cook. 

That Musk has good instincts and has the organizational power to make big, bold bets makes him able to move Tesla quickly in important directions (like Jobs could). Tim Cook has the organizational power but not the instincts, and that will slow Apple down, and be a burden against Tesla. 

I stopped reading at shoddy design....
    latifbplord amhrancaliericthehalfbeeicoco3nolamacguypscooter63doozydozenanton zuykov
  • Reply 22 of 82
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    macapfel said:
    In the not too distant future, people will roll their eyes about self-driving cars, and will not understand how anyone could buy a car that you have to drive yourself. Silly idea, to have a self-driving car, when you can use your time much better, while the auto-motive car drives to its destination without any more input from its passengers than, well, the destination. Does anyone think the aeronautics industry urgently needs to move to planes that people have to fly themselves to their desired destination? Flying for a little fun, or as hoppy, OK. But not for your every day commute in a crowded airspace. Same for cars.
    Self drive or even flying cars ... what rubbish,  what with all this need to change b.s.  Don't people realize they'll never replace the horse!  /s
    edited June 2016 anton zuykov
  • Reply 23 of 82
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Tesla has had a tremendous head start, has a lot of credibility in the market and has a CEO who has very strong product and strategic instincts, which is not something you can seriously say for Tim Cook. 

That Musk has good instincts and has the organizational power to make big, bold bets makes him able to move Tesla quickly in important directions (like Jobs could). Tim Cook has the organizational power but not the instincts, and that will slow Apple down, and be a burden against Tesla. 
    Do you really think the Model X showed more strategic insight than the Watch?
    radarthekatcalipatchythepirate
  • Reply 24 of 82
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    If there's one thing a company should never do, its underestimate Apple. More than a few companies have learned this (Microsoft, Google, Samsung, BlackBerry, etc.).  Whatever market it enters it typically succeeds and starts pushing the competition away. Even Apple Watch is in this situation. Sure, its not selling 50 million per quarter, but its seriously putting a dent in high-end watch maker revenues/profits. 

Apple is hardly ever first at releasing something, but when they do its usually fairly spot on and gets better as time passes on. Why every other company strives to be first at things is beyond me. I'd rather Apple wait and get it right the first time versus just saying we had it first so were better than everyone else. 
    edited June 2016 latifbpslprescottradarthekatmejsriccalipatchythepiratepscooter63lostkiwianton zuykov
  • Reply 25 of 82
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    cropr said:
    Apple's car wouldn't have all the flaws that Tesla has.  The flaws are so numerous, Consumer Reports was forced to place Tesla on its not-recommended list.

Apple has a higher quality when it comes to design and hardware.  In software and services it is a mixed bag: some items are great, others are definitely not so great (iCloud , Apple Music App, Numbers, ...).  Apple has currently no experience in the mechanical aspect of cars (how  will it behave on the road).  It remains to be seen if Apple will be able to fulfill the expectations in that part.

---

And yet, five person chop shops are able to do wonders with what has become off-the-shelf automotive components and their own ingenuity. Everything about automotive engineering needed to design and manufacture cars is readily for hire in today's world, and electric vehicles are overall much simpler than ICE vehicles.  The tricky part is not designing a car, but designing one to be manufactured in large volumes, and that's a skill Apple has in spades.  Apple will do just fine.
    edited June 2016 caliicoco3patchythepirateanton zuykov
  • Reply 26 of 82
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    lukei said:
    The future is self driving cars. You won't own a car but just hail one via an app/other method. It will come to you. Drive you to your destination and then drive off. 
    You forgot that lots of people live in the suburbs and also that a lot of people like to drive cars. I'll have to be dead before Silicon Valley prys my car from me.
    No one is going to try to fucking pry your car from you, and noone is saying self-driving cars would replace 100% of all cars, just like tablets will never replace all laptops, laptops will never replace all desktops, etc. There's billions of people on the planet, it's safe to define something as "the future" even if it does not apply to everyone. So no, he didn't "forget". Stop making everything about yourself. 
    radarthekattechprod1gynolamacguydoozydozenfastasleep
  • Reply 27 of 82
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    lukei said:
    The future is self driving cars. You won't own a car but just hail one via an app/other method. It will come to you. Drive you to your destination and then drive off. 
    I can't wait to get rid of my cars. And to not see parked cars everywhere. And to lose all the signs on streets to direct traffic. And the silence everywhere. Can't wait for this future.
    That'll be a sad day. Glad I probably won't be around beyond the novelty stage. So, who will be the customers for the cars that nobody buys? A handful of "taxi" customers? Wrong. You don't think Apple and Mercedes etc. will offer premium products? Even if the cars are self driving, many (not all) will still want to own their cars as well as equip and customize them for their tastes and needs.
  • Reply 28 of 82
    croprcropr Posts: 1,124member
    crowley said:

Do you really think the Model X showed more strategic insight than the Watch?
    Absolutely, no doubt about that
  • Reply 29 of 82
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Musk is starting to sound like Michael Dell, Steve Ballmer, and Stephen Elop, the former CEO of Nokia. All of them dismissed Apple’s entry into “their” markets and all of them where whistling past the graveyard. Elon Musk should just keep his pie hole shut when it comes to talking about Apple. He’s starting to sound scared.
    calibrucemcigorskyfastasleepanton zuykov
  • Reply 30 of 82
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Even though you are more likely to be killed in a traffic accident than in an airplane crash people fear flying more than driving. One of the reasons is that they are not in control. All it will take is a few fatalities involving autonomous vehicles and the psychosis will set in. Then there are the a-hole psychopaths who will spend their days trying to hack and disrupt the autonomous traffic. I put self-driving cars in the same category as Google Glass, VR, 3D HDTVs, and curved screens, things techies will orgasm over but the mass market will reject.
    edited June 2016 calibrucemcpatchythepirateanton zuykov
  • Reply 31 of 82
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    snova said:

Through its X Labs, Google has already logged more than 1.5 miles on its self-driving car platform, though industry watchers believe the internet search giant plans to license any technology gleaned from the project to a major automotive manufacturer. Musk agrees.
    Wow. A whole mile and a half. 
    LOL!

Someone left one word out... 1.5 million miles. Encouraging tho that finally someone who we listen to says Google has no plans to build self-driving cars for we consumers. They'll just be helping develop the systems for real car companies to use to do so. I think that's a smart move. Know your limits. 
    https://www.google.com/selfdrivingcar/  
    But only 3 accidents!
    There's actually been a dozen or so in the six years of testing but only one, and quite minor, attributable to the car's autonomous system itself right? All the others were human error on the part of other drivers or the human Google driver if my reading is correct. You might not agree but I find that pretty impressive.
    edited June 2016
  • Reply 32 of 82
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,009member
    interesting manner in which he commented...praise, but with the right amount of focus on timing, as in, gee, if you buy us, you can recoup years of development and come to market sooner. The benefit of buying Tesla, if any, is how advanced and unique their battery technology is and will be...to me, that's what makes or breaks Tesla, not the cars themselves. and I'm sure breakthroughs in battery technology is always of high interest at Apple.
  • Reply 33 of 82
    TempletonTempleton Posts: 84member
    Time flies.
  • Reply 34 of 82
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    macapfel said:
    In the not too distant future, people will roll their eyes about self-driving cars, and will not understand how anyone could buy a car that you have to drive yourself. Silly idea, to have a self-driving car, when you can use your time much better, while the auto-motive car drives to its destination without any more input from its passengers than, well, the destination. Does anyone think the aeronautics industry urgently needs to move to planes that people have to fly themselves to their desired destination? Flying for a little fun, or as hoppy, OK. But not for your every day commute in a crowded airspace. Same for cars.
    So you would think, but until self driving cars can solve a number of issue they will only be available in limits use cases. The entire Auto industry including those who are working on self driving cars have come out publicly and said the current state of self driving cars only work in a limited environment. Until they can drive under all conditions like weather other than sunny days self driving cars will not be a reality to most people. Keep in mind this technology is not new it has been worked on for 20 yrs and they are still  far way off from solving the total problem. The second issue the developers need to address, which I am calling the prime directive of the car. Until the cars prime direction is to do no harm to the person in the car most people will not trust these things. Even today Google cars have been in accidents, grand it not caused by the self driving car but by others. Do you want to be in a self driving car who attempting to avoid a bad situation ends up killing you instead.
  • Reply 35 of 82
    igorskyigorsky Posts: 755member
    Music industry: Apple too late to distribution... RIMM: Apple too late to smartphones... Tag Heuer: Apple too late to smartwatches... Elon Musk: Apple too late to cars....... I'd never bet against Apple in ANY endeavor.
    edited June 2016 lostkiwianton zuykov
  • Reply 36 of 82
    igorskyigorsky Posts: 755member
    jonl said:
    Prediction: "You're sitting in it wrong."

This meme is still going strong 5 years later, eh?
    lostkiwi
  • Reply 37 of 82
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,340member
    thrang said:
    interesting manner in which he commented...praise, but with the right amount of focus on timing, as in, gee, if you buy us, you can recoup years of development and come to market sooner. The benefit of buying Tesla, if any, is how advanced and unique their battery technology is and will be...to me, that's what makes or breaks Tesla, not the cars themselves. and I'm sure breakthroughs in battery technology is always of high interest at Apple.
    EV's have always been about the batteries. I credit Elon with being able to create a market that will pay for a large enough battery to make EV's practical, and his Gigafactory, while not pushing the technology all that much, certainly will go far to reduce costs.

All that said, there aren't really any barriers to entry in a nascent market, and Elon pretty much stated as much about Apple.
  • Reply 38 of 82
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    I can't wait to get rid of my cars. And to not see parked cars everywhere. And to lose all the signs on streets to direct traffic. And the silence everywhere. Can't wait for this future.

You know one of the 20,000 new regulations the Obama administration put in place in the last 8 yrs includes ones about electric cars which will require them to make ICE motor noise while they are on the roads driving. Why they are afraid stupid pedestrians might get hit without having some sort of audio cues, as well as people losing a sense of how fast they are going without having the motor noise. Your dream of silence is a pipe drive our government made sure of that.

Honestly, I would drive a electric car specially ones that go zero to 60 under 4 seconds as long as they handle like a BMW. But I still like a car with a gas engine (ICE), there is something visceral about the sound of powerful engine sound. This and the above is the psychology of technology most people do not understand. Sound plays a huge part in how people drive and respond to a car on a road. When I drive not only am I feeling how the car is responding while I drive I am listening to the sounds the car is making that feedback becomes very important to know what to do when you drive. I hardly look at my speedometer, just looking around and listening to the engine I have a very good ideal how fast I am going. I am not sure if not having that audio feedback I will have an idea of speed.

• Reply 39 of 82
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member

I can guarantee you that the Apple Car will have flaws as well. Name one car that doesn't?
  • Reply 40 of 82
    techprod1gytechprod1gy Posts: 838member
    Some interesting comments here. Autonomous or augmented cars will be our future. I envision a world were we will get to fully autonomous but while we navigate to that we will enjoy improved safety and efficiencies with augmented driving. This already exists but will be improved upon ten fold over the next several years. I feel the big automakers have dragged their feet and milked as much oil profit at the cost of improved transportation for all. Tesla, Apple and others are going to change the game and force the lazy past giants into action which is good for all of us. I am truly excited for the future.
    lostkiwifastasleep