Elon Musk expects 'Apple Car' to be late to market, estimates volume production by 2020

Comments

• Reply 61 of 82
    joshajosha Posts: 901member
    lukei said:
    The future is self driving cars. You won't own a car but just hail one via an app/other method. It will come to you. Drive you to your destination and then drive off. 
    Dream on !
  • Reply 62 of 82
    jonl said:
    I would rather have an Apple car than a Tesla. 
    Apple has higher quality standards than Tesla.
    Apple's car wouldn't have all the flaws that Tesla has.  The flaws are so numerous, Consumer Reports was forced to place Tesla on its not-recommended list.
    Prediction: "You're sitting in it wrong."

You're supposed to look the other way while your car self drives.   Not nice to be critical of your driver.
    Just close your eyes, but get the hell out when the exit gong sounds.
  • Reply 63 of 82
    "I think it's great they're doing this, and I hope it works out," he said. "It's just a missed opportunity. It's a couple years...they'll make a good car and be successful."

You know, if we were talking about ripped jeans, disco, or hot yoga, Musk might have a point. But saying that Apple missed an opportunity in electric cars is kind of like saying early humans missed an opportunity by not developing written language earlier, or not harnessing fire sooner, or agriculture. 

Couldn't we just as well say Musk missed an opportunity in not creating Tesla 20 years ago, or that he's missing an opportunity now by not having his solar battery backup thing in every house in America?
    fastasleep
  • Reply 64 of 82
    wizard69 said:
    Interesting but I see zero demand for self driving cars.
    Yeah, there have never been such things as taxicabs. Or chauffeurs. Everybody wants to drive themselves.  :*

I can't wait. No more idiots breaking traffic laws left and right. No double parking. No drunk driving. No road rage. No impatient horn honking. Far fewer accidents. Only a few dinosaurs like you as holdouts, and you'll all die out eventually.
    fastasleep
  • Reply 65 of 82
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,422member
    wizard69 said:
    Interesting but I see zero demand for self driving cars.   Now more variety and better pricing in electric cars, that could be a big win.  
    Zero demand? I think a LOT will buy self driving cars.. I will be one of them! And virtually all my friends want the same as well - think of all the things we can do instead of driving... like texting, surfing the web, read a book, and make out with the significant other. Without having to worry about getting in an accident.
    lostkiwi
  • Reply 66 of 82
    Have you looked closely at many Apple products lately?  I would say they're filled with flaws, bugs, and shoddy design (along with slow development speed). It's not the same company it was several years ago, and I doubt that a logistics guy like Tim Cook can lead Apple into a major new venture like cars without a lot of mistakes. 

Tesla has had a tremendous head start, has a lot of credibility in the market and has a CEO who has very strong product and strategic instincts, which is not something you can seriously say for Tim Cook. 

That Musk has good instincts and has the organizational power to make big, bold bets makes him able to move Tesla quickly in important directions (like Jobs could). Tim Cook has the organizational power but not the instincts, and that will slow Apple down, and be a burden against Tesla.
    You don't sound familiar with Apple's excellent products.
    ALL computing products have some software flaws. If there is a reported software flaw, it is quickly fixed.

Yes Tesla seems to produce very good EVs and they sure know how to get all the Gov credits they can.
    Apple doesn't play that game, which takes money out of everyone's pocket.
    Apple's products speak for themselves, by having excellent design and manufacture. They last a very long time, 10+ years here.
  • Reply 67 of 82
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Blah blah blah, he should take care of his own crap and not even comment on anyone else till he's making a decent profit.
  • Reply 68 of 82
    ireland said:

Here's the problem, Elon.

Apple was also "late to the market" in the phone and tablet game and looked how that turned out.

So 53% of first movers don't fail? That's above half. Phones and tablets sucked before iPhone and iPad. Tesla cars don't suck. I think there's room for many players in the car space. Be thankful for the competition. One obvious area to me where Apple can improve upon Tesla is integration with an existing ecosystem and design. Tesla is not bad at design, but they are nowhere near Apple in that dept.
    The number of "first movers" failling is way way way way above 47%, that looks like cherry picking.
  • Reply 69 of 82
    Apple's car wouldn't have all the flaws that Tesla has.  The flaws are so numerous, Consumer Reports was forced to place Tesla on its not-recommended list.

Musk's Apple remarks show his sour grapes attitude.
    Have you looked closely at many Apple products lately?  I would say they're filled with flaws, bugs, and shoddy design (along with slow development speed). It's not the same company it was several years ago, and I doubt that a logistics guy like Tim Cook can lead Apple into a major new venture like cars without a lot of mistakes. 

Tesla has had a tremendous head start, has a lot of credibility in the market and has a CEO who has very strong product and strategic instincts, which is not something you can seriously say for Tim Cook. 

That Musk has good instincts and has the organizational power to make big, bold bets makes him able to move Tesla quickly in important directions (like Jobs could). Tim Cook has the organizational power but not the instincts, and that will slow Apple down, and be a burden against Tesla. 

Right, your "gut" tell you things... Prove it or lose it. You can't so you lose.
  • Reply 70 of 82
    josha said:
    lukei said:
    The future is self driving cars. You won't own a car but just hail one via an app/other method. It will come to you. Drive you to your destination and then drive off. 
    Dream on !
    Talk to me in about 15 years when this comes to full fruition.
    fastasleep
  • Reply 71 of 82
    lkrupp said:
    Musk is starting to sound like Michael Dell, Steve Ballmer, and Stephen Elop, the former CEO of Nokia. All of them dismissed Apple’s entry into “their” markets and all of them where whistling past the graveyard. Elon Musk should just keep his pie hole shut when it comes to talking about Apple. He’s starting to sound scared.
    If Apple enters the market, Elon's job is done. He doesn't care about profit, he wants to change the world for the better by kick starting the electric car industry. Getting the big auto manufacturers and now the BIGGEST companies in the world to take the market seriously is his goal. By the time Apple enters the race, Elon will be on to the next thing, he's already said the successful launch of the 3 is his signal to hand over to someone else.
    gatorguyHerbivore2lostkiwipropod
  • Reply 72 of 82
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    icoco3 said:
    farmboy said:
    maestro64 said:

You know one of the 20,000 new regulations the Obama administration put in place in the last 8 yrs includes ones about electric cars which will require them to make ICE motor noise while they are on the roads driving. Why they are afraid stupid pedestrians might get hit without having some sort of audio cues, as well as people losing a sense of how fast they are going without having the motor noise. Your dream of silence is a pipe drive our government made sure of that.

6,113 regulations under Obama in first six years (not eight unless you have a flux capacitor in your BMW), compared to 6,536 under GW Bush for his first six years (per GAO, reported in Politifact). Just so we're not letting Fox hyperbole go unchecked. Bummer, I know (or should I say Bimmer).

Also, the Pedestrian Safety Act of 2010 was a bipartisan bill, passed unanimously in the senate, and 379-30 in the house. NHTSA estimates that there would be 2800 fewer pedestrian and cyclist injuries over the life of each model year of hybrid/electric vehicles if equipped with the sound-generating recommendations, and the EU (admittedly a nanny state) is on a similar track. How valid the injury projections are I don't know, and the slow pace of introduction indicates some uncertainty by the regulators and resistance by the car manufacturers.
    Politico says 4,000 more for 2016 are working their way through...

http://www.politico.com/agenda/agenda/story/2016/1/obama-regulations-2016

They say 20,642 so far here...

http://dailysignal.com/2016/05/23/20642-new-regulations-added-in-the-obama-presidency/

Guess information comes from a lot of places.

yeah it comes down to the fact what is consider a regulations, not all changes in the Obama administration were true regulations since most required an act of congress and not everything Obama did was done via of congress. Such as the executive order to require background checks on private sales of guns, new rule and interpretation of existing regulations and laws. These kinds of things roll up into the 20K, they may not be new laws, but it stiff required people to know about otherwise you pay a fine or go to jail.

The ones I like are the one his administration put in place about my personal IRA and how many stocks I can trade in my account and all the rules my broker has to follow in regards to my account. Like he has to charge me a commission in and out of stock and I am not allow to negotiate the fees he is or is not allow to charge me on any given investment. Yeah the government is looking out for me best interest because people failed to educate themselves about investing and OMG you could loose money investing.

edited June 2016
  • Reply 73 of 82
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    In fact, Tim Cook's Apple has become sloppy with product quality (Apple's former undisputed strength), and let development in many product categories languish. 
    Yup. All products release under Jobs were high quality (G4 Cube), constantly updated (Mac Pro) and home runs (iPod hi-FI). Bugs never occurred in any previous OS releas s. 
    fastasleep
  • Reply 74 of 82
    Herbivore2Herbivore2 Posts: 367member
    wizard69 said:

Cars are far more complicated than anything Apple makes.   Some of the best manufactures on the planet still have flaws in every model they introduce.   
    Does that excuse the manufacturers from knowingly putting flawed safety equipment, notably Takata airbags into their vehicles?

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/06/02/business/automakers-still-selling-cars-with-riskiest-takata-airbags.html?_r=0&referer=http://r.duckduckgo.com/

Based on what I see, Apple can bring serious disruption to the automotive industry and to a far greater degree than Tesla. If companies like Toyota are fully aware of the airbag defects and using them anyway, Apple will have no problem in competing with them. And it's not like an iPhone or an Apple Watch are simple pieces of equipment either. Apple will be quite competitive. They have a far better working knowledge of batteries and electrical systems than Toyota also.

Musk was hoping that Tesla would disrupt the industry. Now he is holding his breath regarding Apple. 

If Apple is truly bringing out an electric vehicle in 2020, I will wait patiently. However the Ioniq is looking mighty attractive and should be far more reliable than any Tesla and won't come with defective air bags. 
  • Reply 75 of 82
    jdgazjdgaz Posts: 404member
    Somehow I do not think that 2020 will be late to the game for production volumes. Me thinks the game might just be beginning about that time.
  • Reply 76 of 82
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    wizard69 said:
    Cars are far more complicated than anything Apple makes.   Some of the best manufactures on the planet still have flaws in every model they introduce.   
    Does that excuse the manufacturers from knowingly putting flawed safety equipment, notably Takata airbags into their vehicles?

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/06/02/business/automakers-still-selling-cars-with-riskiest-takata-airbags.html?_r=0&referer=http://r.duckduckgo.com/

Based on what I see, Apple can bring serious disruption to the automotive industry and to a far greater degree than Tesla. If companies like Toyota are fully aware of the airbag defects and using them anyway, Apple will have no problem in competing with them. And it's not like an iPhone or an Apple Watch are simple pieces of equipment either. Apple will be quite competitive. They have a far better working knowledge of batteries and electrical systems than Toyota also.

Musk was hoping that Tesla would disrupt the industry. Now he is holding his breath regarding Apple. 

If Apple is truly bringing out an electric vehicle in 2020, I will wait patiently. However the Ioniq is looking mighty attractive and should be far more reliable than any Tesla and won't come with defective air bags. 
    You're making that judgement based on airbags? A feature that isn't truly necessary. 
  • Reply 77 of 82
    vvswarupvvswarup Posts: 336member
    josha said:

So Apple updates the Apple Car OS and your car doesn't support it.
    Not likely you can continue driving with an out of date unsupported Car OS, so get out your wallet and scrap your current car !  :s
    Apple isn't married to any particular idea. It has shown that it is willing to adjust the circumstances. The Apple Watch offers more options for customization than its competition. Offering that much customization is unlike Apple. The reason is that watches aren't like phones. A watch is very conspicuous. It needs to agree with the wide variety of outfits that people like to wear. It's the nature of the product and the role that it has in people's lives. 

The same goes for cars. Apple would be stupid to think that it is going to get away with releasing a new version of the car software and saying everyone else can't get it anymore, and as a result, the car is underivable. People aren't going to shell out money for a new car every year. 
  • Reply 78 of 82
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    wizard69 said:
    Interesting but I see zero demand for self driving cars.   Now more variety and better pricing in electric cars, that could be a big win.  
    Nokia saw no demand for smartphone before 2007, then boom...Nikia became irrelevant several years later.
  • Reply 79 of 82
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    For Musk, a "missed opportunity" means lost bragging rights of being first. I believe Apple defines opportunity in terms of profit. Despite substantial government subsidies for those who buy his cars, Mr. Musk had not turned a profit yet. The frequent comparisons he draws between his own operations and Apple demonstrate Musk's insecurities.
    Where did you get that information that Tesla made no profit so far? Got to be from some clueless people on this board. Tesla reinvested profits into company infrastructure just like Amazon years ago. Do some researches, would you?
    lostkiwipropod
  • Reply 80 of 82
    macarenamacarena Posts: 365member
    Most people are simply blind and cannot see Apple's strategies. Let me give a few pointers.

- Apple is sitting on almost $250B in cash. And there's no sign that the cash pile will reduce. There's nothing that Apple can buy that makes sense, and that costs anywhere near that cash hoard. Their acquisitions so far are less than what they add to the cash pile each year!

- They need to figure out a good way to generate a decent return from that cash pile. And while they generate that good return, if it helps cement their current businesses, even better.

- Apple has absolutely no qualms about creating an ecosystem play thats exclusively for Apple users. They don't see it as a limitation on their ecosystem - they see it as value addition.

- Apple makes it money on hardware - and the ecosystem exists to sell more of that hardware. That's been their philosophy so far, and thats their philosophy going forward too. It is too much to expect Apple to change its DNA and make money from ecosystem.

- They simply cannot sell Music at a discounted price to make their ecosystem and therefore their hardware more attractive. Or Movies. Or TV Shows. Or Books. That simply wont fly. Neither their partners, nor their competitors will let them get away with something like that.

- They need to create new product categories in which they control everything from start to finish.

- I see Apple's investment in Didi, and their entire car play in this context. It gives Apple the means to invest billions of dollars in their own cars. These cars will not be self-driving in city conditions - but will initially be just self-stacking or self-parking. That will allow Apple to create parking and charging infrastructure at much lower costs than what is possible by anyone else. You can simply go to any Apple Car Stack with your iPhone, and get a fully charged, cleaned, electric car. You can drive it yourself, and return it at any other Apple Car Stack. And your iPhone with Apple Pay will seamlessly bill you for the time and energy consumed.

This would be self-driving cars - but it would not be about cars driving themselves. It would be about you driving the car yourself - without having to pay for someone else to drive you around.