LG Innotek to be sole 'iPhone 7 Plus' dual-lens camera module supplier - report

Posted:
in iPhone
LG Innotek will be the exclusive supplier of dual-lens camera modules for Apple's "iPhone 7 Plus," expected to ship this September, a Korean report claimed on Thursday.

Shipments of LG modules could begin as soon as this month, Business Korea said. The company is in fact predicted to monopolize Apple's supply of dual-lens parts for the rest of the year, though other parties could jump on board in 2017.

Sony -- a regular image sensor supplier for Apple -- was once expected to take the lion's share of dual-lens module orders. In May, though, an analyst claimed that Sony production had been slowed by the twin setbacks of low production yields and earthquake damage at its Kumamoto facilities.

Sony dismissed the idea of any disruption in image sensor production, but in actuality it might not have been able to keep up with Apple's voracious iPhone camera demands.

Rumors and leaks have so far indicated that only the "7 Plus" will get a dual-lens camera, along with some other unique upgrades like 3 gigabytes of RAM and a Smart Connector. The regular "iPhone 7" may see comparatively modest improvements, though its camera may finally be enhanced with optical image stabilization, previously a Plus-only feature.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member

Apple- a victim of their own success. Assuming this is true-- I'm sure Apple would love to put the dual lense(or other major tech advances) in all the new phone models, not just the plus model... but production capability of the camera/lense prevents that. Right? RigHT? RIGHT!?

BTW - IMO- that metallic color is awful, reminds me of dog barf. Cannot wait until primary or basic colors came back into vogue with Sir Jonny. How about a nice dark blue. Deep green..even a plaid would be better(kidding on the plaid).

edited June 2016
  • Reply 2 of 22
    michael scripmichael scrip Posts: 1,916member
    boeyc15 said:

How about a nice dark blue. Deep green..even a plaid would be better (kidding on the plaid).

Or... actual black.

None of this "Space Gray" stuff.

Isn't space black?
    jony0argonaut
  • Reply 3 of 22
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member
    boeyc15 said:

How about a nice dark blue. Deep green..even a plaid would be better (kidding on the plaid).

Or... actual black.

Isn't space black?
    ...I'm Batman.
  • Reply 4 of 22
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,727member
    boeyc15 said:

Or... actual black.

Isn't space black?
    In space, no one can hear you complain.
    sockrolidLoneStar88levianomequadra 610
  • Reply 5 of 22
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    I'd like a Space Black stainless steel enclosure. With the same Diamond Like Carbon finish as the Space Black Watch.
    I got a Space Black Milanese Loop band for my Watch Sport and the black DLC finish is indestructible.

Note: the DLC process preserves the texture of the metal.  The magnetic clasp of the Milanese Loop band has a brushed finish,
    even with the black DLC coating.  I would love a brushed stainless steel Space Black DLC iPhone 8 Plus.
  • Reply 6 of 22
    slprescottslprescott Posts: 765member
    Optical Image Stabilization in the non-Plus edition would be a big incentive to upgrade. No change to the outward appearance, obviously, but a big improvement in the quality of photos & videos.
  • Reply 7 of 22
    LoneStar88LoneStar88 Posts: 325member
    boeyc15 said:

Apple- a victim of their own success. Assuming this is true-- I'm sure Apple would love to put the dual lense(or other major tech advances) in all the new phone models, not just the plus model... but production capability of the camera/lense prevents that. Right? RigHT? RIGHT!?

BTW - IMO- that metallic color is awful, reminds me of dog barf. Cannot wait until primary or basic colors came back into vogue with Sir Jonny. How about a nice dark blue. Deep green..even a plaid would be better(kidding on the plaid).

So glad you don't work for Apple.
  • Reply 8 of 22
    LoneStar88LoneStar88 Posts: 325member
    I'm really looking forward to the 7+ in September!
  • Reply 9 of 22
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    Same, my 6+ is on it's last legs. Home button dead, touch screen barely works.
  • Reply 10 of 22
    My 5 is working just fine...I'll wait for the 7s
    edited June 2016
  • Reply 11 of 22
    levilevi Posts: 344member
    Optical Image Stabilization in the non-Plus edition would be a big incentive to upgrade. No change to the outward appearance, obviously, but a big improvement in the quality of photos & videos.
    I have it. The difference is minimal. 
  • Reply 12 of 22
    levilevi Posts: 344member
    You have a special talent 
  • Reply 13 of 22
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    What the hell do you do with your phones? Play basketball with it.
  • Reply 14 of 22
    mojo276mojo276 Posts: 3member
    Does anyone have an example of the quality of the cameras pictures? Sometimes Ive seen images around that show what a certain mobile camera can do.
  • Reply 15 of 22
    boeyc15 said:

Looks like you might get your wish with the dark blue....I was actually a fan of what they did with the 5c. I wouldn't mind some thin cases (maybe just enough so it would make the camera bump flat), give a little customization to the colors.
  • Reply 16 of 22

levi said:
    I have it. The difference is minimal. 
    Really? For 4K, it seems to make a big difference when looking at side-by side videos.
  • Reply 17 of 22
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    The dual cameras in the 7Plus seems like a worthy upgrade for the Plus version but I haven't heard anything very compelling otherwise for the regular iPhone.
    Some rumors say that the design of the 7 will be very similar to the 6/6s which would be a disappointment.

• Reply 18 of 22
    Shouldn't the bigger screen be enough of a reason to upgrade? Why do they have to hamstring the people that want a smaller phone? I get it if the components just don't fit in the smaller '7' model, but if they can fit it then put it in there. I hate having a less capable phone than my wife because I refuse to have a giant freaking phone. 
  • Reply 19 of 22
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    boeyc15 said:

Or... actual black.

Isn't space black?

Actually, when I studied Astrophysics at university (a single unit nearly 30 years ago, but never mind), assuming that starlight was propagating through a semi-infinite grey atmosphere was the standard model used. So, in that sense at least, space is grey. Kind of.

Shouldn't the bigger screen be enough of a reason to upgrade? Why do they have to hamstring the people that want a smaller phone? I get it if the components just don't fit in the smaller '7' model, but if they can fit it then put it in there. I hate having a less capable phone than my wife because I refuse to have a giant freaking phone. 

I think, for the most part, the differences between the "normal" and "Plus" models are things that can't fit into the smaller chassis (yet). OIS in the current phone certainly is. If it's in the straight 7, it will be because they've managed to shrink the mechanism (or less likely free up enough internal space). One rumour about the Plus having more RAM relates to either the dual camera configuration, or driving the larger screen. These would leave very little additional RAM spare for apps to take advantage of.
  • Reply 20 of 22
    wonkothesanewonkothesane Posts: 1,721member
    Funny, for Apple it's not enough iPhone sales for some, but for a supplier the demand is called "voracious".