iOS 10 rich notifications will come to devices without 3D Touch, Apple tells developers

Posted:
in iPhone edited June 2016
Though Apple showcased the new rich notifications in iOS 10 using 3D Touch on an iPhone 6s, the same functionality will also come to older iPhone models without pressure sensitive displays, developers have been informed.

"Support for rich notifications is optimized for 3D Touch, and in iOS 10 beta 1 the feature is available only on iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus," notes accompanying the first beta of iOS 10 state. "Future betas will provide access to this functionality for users of iPhone models without support for 3D Touch."

In demonstrating rich notifications in iOS 10 at the Worldwide Developers Conference keynote on Monday, Apple showed how 3D Touch could be used to open a notification and respond to it directly from the lock screen.

Similarly, Apple's website previewing iOS 10 shows using the peek and pop features of 3D Touch to open a text message and quickly respond.

The notes in iOS 10 reveal that rich notification support will be available to legacy devices like the iPhone 6 and earlier, as well as the iPhone SE and compatible iPad models. Currently, the iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus are the only Apple devices that support 3D Touch, though it is also expected in the next-generation "iPhone 7."

Exactly how rich notifications will work on devices without 3D Touch was not explained by Apple. Given that it wasn't demonstrated and isn't included in the first beta, it's possible that the company is still figuring out the best way to offer rich notifications without a firm press via 3D Touch.

Regardless, Apple's signal to developers indicates that devices beyond the iPhone 6s series will be able to take advantage of rich notifications once iOS 10 launches this fall. The mobile operating system will be a free update, and is compatible with the iPhone 5 or newer, iPad mini 2 or newer, and sixth-generation iPod touch.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    emoelleremoeller Posts: 574member
    I'm pretty sure they mentioned that legacy devices would require a long press.
    cornchip
  • Reply 2 of 9
    rwesrwes Posts: 200member
    I went to an iPhone SE from an iPhone 6 (not 6s); having used 3D Touch on friends devices and being a fan of shortcuts (when computing), that's one feature I really wish had been brought to the SE.

Here's to hoping there is a new 4" device with the feature if not this Fall, maybe in the Spring!
    lollivercornchip
  • Reply 3 of 9
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,102member
    emoeller said:
    Which makes 3D Touch kind of useless.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    TurboPGTTurboPGT Posts: 355member
    tyler82 said:
    emoeller said:
    Except for the part where 3D Touch is a much better user experience than "touch and hold".

Long press without any feedback or sense of movement, sucks.
    roundaboutnowlollivercornchip
  • Reply 5 of 9
    rwesrwes Posts: 200member
    TurboPGT said:
    tyler82 said:
    Except for the part where 3D Touch is a much better user experience than "touch and hold".

Long press without any feedback or sense of movement, sucks.
    Plus a long press wont match the lighter pressure of a peek vs. the heavier pressure of a pop. It'll be interesting to see if/how it's brought to non 3D Touch devices.
    lolliver
  • Reply 6 of 9
    danuffdanuff Posts: 33member
    I hate to be on the other side of the fence, but I used 3D Touch on a friend's phone and found it to be a pain in the rump. The friend even asked me how to disable it a few days later.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    danuff said:
    I hate to be on the other side of the fence, but I used 3D Touch on a friend's phone and found it to be a pain in the rump. The friend even asked me how to disable it a few days later.
    Why do you say that? I couldn't live without it.
    lolliver
  • Reply 8 of 9
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    Instagram has long press instead of 3D touch on non 3D touch devices. I rarely use it, but it's a neat demonstration of that it's actually working quite well.
    Of course in the iOS home screen, long press is reserved for app deletion/ management, so there's a conflict there.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    The user and all related content has been deleted.