Shipping delays continue to dog Apple's 4" iPhone SE

Comments

• Reply 21 of 57
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    But I was assured this phone was uninteresting and uninspired and no one wanted it.
    By whom? Sog35?
    cornchip
  • Reply 22 of 57
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    Don't be fooled by the rhetoric.  There is no strong demand.  Originally Apple planned to build just 10-15 million SEs for 2016.  Even if Apple build 5 million more SEs, the SE is still not in high demand compared to other iPhones.  Apple does not look plan to satisfy the demand at all even though the numbers are still small.  I have given up on Apple.  
  • Reply 23 of 57
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    Well this is a nice problem for a company to have. Much better than a lack of demand, which is maybe what Apple was expecting...
  • Reply 24 of 57
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member
    Sorry, but they are purposely throttling production. There is no parts shortage.
    Cook is the best in the business at this. He knows exactly where he is, what he's got, and where he wants to go.
    cornchipradarthekat
  • Reply 25 of 57
    pscooter63pscooter63 Posts: 1,080member
    sacto joe said:

The highly milled edges of the aluminum housing. As an ex-CNC machinist, I can guarantee you that you can't make those edges quickly.
    Note that the 6 series doesn't have milled edges, and hence is far easier to ramp up production on.
    BTW, I think the 5 series was one of the most beautiful iPhones ever produced. Just a shame that it's so hard to make....

If you're talking about the chamfered, polished edges on the 5/5S... you do realize they dispensed with those on the SE, right?

edited June 2016
  • Reply 26 of 57
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member
    bobschlob said:
    Sorry, but they are purposely throttling production. There is no parts shortage.
    Cook is the best in the business at this. He knows exactly where he is, what he's got, and where he wants to go.

If they didn't want to sell this, they wouldn't have made it in the first place. 
    edited June 2016 ai46cornchipbaconstang
  • Reply 27 of 57
    rwesrwes Posts: 200member
    Switched from iPhone 6 to SE on release day and haven't regretted it at all.

Long live 4" iPhones.
    Same here! (Well, not on release day). Running betas on my iPhone 6 now and I loathe using the darn thing (the little I do). Good thing for options!

I would get one. Apple Pay, top line camera, fast processor. It's everything the 5S should have been.
    The 5s shipping with the first mass produced 64 bit mobile SoC (which took time for others to catchup with (again)), was plenty fast at the time the 5s was released. Apple Pay would have been nice at the time though, but I'm sure there were factors which led to it being held for release later. Anyway, like you said, all in the SE now.
    cornchip
  • Reply 28 of 57
    snova said:
    bobschlob said:

If they didn't want to sell this, they wouldn't have made it in the first place. 
    Of course they would.
    They don't want to sell 16GB phones either, but they do make them anyway.

They want to hold off the 4" customer until the iPhone 8 super-cycle is released, in which the phones will simply come in SML  MED  LRG.
  • Reply 29 of 57
    sacto joesacto joe Posts: 895member
    sacto joe said:

The highly milled edges of the aluminum housing. As an ex-CNC machinist, I can guarantee you that you can't make those edges quickly.
    Note that the 6 series doesn't have milled edges, and hence is far easier to ramp up production on.
    BTW, I think the 5 series was one of the most beautiful iPhones ever produced. Just a shame that it's so hard to make....

If you're talking about the chamfered, polished edges on the 5/5S... you do realize they dispensed with those on the SE, right?

No, I didn't know that. I just assumed it was the same form factor. Well, that leaves exactly one reason for the shortage. Unexpected demand.
    pscooter63
  • Reply 30 of 57
    dempsondempson Posts: 62member
    wood1208 said:
    There is nothing out their in smaller size phone with such capability as iphone SE. Since IOS 10 will let you remove native/stock Apps and replace with the 3rd party Apps than iphone SE 16GB storage for the normal usage will not be as problematic as we think now. Those with lots of Apps,photos,videos will go with 64GB iphone SE so no debate their.
    In a Talk Show interview after the WWDC keynote, Craig Federighi revealed that deleting built-in apps in iOS 10 deletes data they are storing but doesn't actually delete the app itself: it is just hidden, but is still part of the digitally signed copy of iOS installed on the device. Reinstalling the app from App Store unhides the built-in app. Therefore 16 GB devices won't save much space by deleting unused built-in apps.
  • Reply 31 of 57
    sacto joesacto joe Posts: 895member
    bobschlob said:
    I seriously doubt that they're purposefully throttling. However, they may well be tooling up now for the 7 run. That could force them to choose between setting up for the 7 and increasing SE production. September's only 3 months away. If that's what you mean by "purpose[fully] throttling", then I can see that.

If the SE remains this popular going into the holiday quarter, then they may about to build an unprecedented number of iPhones for that quarter....
  • Reply 32 of 57
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    I picked up an SE a couple weeks ago, and absolutely love it. The carrier was sold out and had no idea when they would get more, but Apple Store had them in stock. 
  • Reply 33 of 57
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    mpirate said:
    Hard to tell what this means, but it is surprising. Either demand is VERY strong, or something odd is happening. The more likely reason would seem to be very strong demand, any other ideas or explanations?

Easy: do not read the media hype. Is there any reason NOT to believe that the demand is VERY strong besides what media and analyst try to convince everyone that NO ONE want to buy SE?
  • Reply 34 of 57
    sacto joe said:

No, I didn't know that. I just assumed it was the same form factor. Well, that leaves exactly one reason for the shortage. Unexpected demand.
    First of all; it takes about 3 seconds to make that edge. Second of all; the edge is still being milled (form factor is the same). it's just an anodized finish now rather than mirror finish on the edge.
    cornchip
  • Reply 35 of 57

sacto joe said:
    bobschlob said:
    I seriously doubt that they're purposefully throttling. However, they may well be tooling up now for the 7 run. That could force them to choose between setting up for the 7 and increasing SE production. September's only 3 months away. If that's what you mean by "purpose[fully] throttling", then I can see that.

If the SE remains this popular going into the holiday quarter, then they may about to build an unprecedented number of iPhones for that quarter....
    I have no doubt this phone is selling very well. (I keep trying to pick one up, but keep missing stock)
    But this phone is a marriage of iPhone 5, 6, and 6s components.  ALL parts are fully ramped in production, and have been for a long time. They are simply making and shipping as many of these phones as they WANT to ship, and no more. It's been out for quite a while now. And this is Apple; Master of production.
    radarthekatjonl
  • Reply 36 of 57
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,945member
    bobschlob said:
    sacto joe said:
    First of all; it takes about 3 seconds to make that edge. Second of all; the edge is still being milled (form factor is the same). it's just an anodized finish now rather than mirror finish on the edge.
    Exactly. In other words, the texture is being created after rather than before the chamfer is cut.
  • Reply 37 of 57
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,239member
    wood1208 said:
    There is nothing out their in smaller size phone with such capability as iphone SE. Since IOS 10 will let you remove native/stock Apps and replace with the 3rd party Apps than iphone SE 16GB storage for the normal usage will not be as problematic as we think now. Those with lots of Apps,photos,videos will go with 64GB iphone SE so no debate their.

Stock apps will still be installed. They will just be "unlinked". Apple needs to leave them installed to validate the authenticity of the operating system. They are part of that signature.
  • Reply 38 of 57
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    bobschlob said:

sacto joe said:
    bobschlob said:

I have no doubt this phone is selling very well. (I keep trying to pick one up, but keep missing stock)
    But this phone is a marriage of iPhone 5, 6, and 6s components.  ALL parts are fully ramped in production, and have been for a long time. They are simply making and shipping as many of these phones as they WANT to ship, and no more. It's been out for quite a while now. And this is Apple; Master of production.

---

This is is how I see it too.   By setting a limited production volume, Apple keeps interest high, potentially pushes some buyers into the more expensive models, and smoothes sales over the two slower summer quarters.  
    edited June 2016 bobschlob
  • Reply 39 of 57
    Anyone thinks there will be a 128GB iPhone SE? Holding out for that one. Capacity is the only reason stopping me now. (I own an iPhone 5 64GB for 4 years now and am still fine with speed, etc)
  • Reply 40 of 57
    schralpschralp Posts: 25member
    Perhaps Steve was right about device size after all......
    mattinoz[Deleted User]baconstang