New Chinese rules say Apple's App Store must track identities of users, developers

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    redefiler said:
    josha said:
    The Brit vote by a small majority to leave the EU was a very stupid decision.  Many British people will lose as a result.

Because self determination is a bad thing?  It's not like they ever really fully joined, and the vote that first got them into the EU was by the slightest majority.  France even worked hard to block the British from joining.  With friends like those...

Lots of cosmopolitan elitist tears over this, not sure anybody beyond that cares.  It's a shock to the progressive cause because the Star Trek TNG fantasy version of the EU was their promised paradise of 70 virgins.

But what you really mean is collective determination.2/3s of the Scottish would disagree that they have been granted self determination. Regardless of what level of self/collective determination, that concept breaks down when the decision is based on false or misleading information from people who have zero accountability for their broken promises and lies. This has been the issue with every US Presidential candidate in the last several elections and appears to have also had significant influence in the UKs Brexist vote as well.
  • Reply 22 of 30
    redefilerredefiler Posts: 323member
    wiggin said:
    redefiler said:
    Because self determination is a bad thing?  It's not like they ever really fully joined, and the vote that first got them into the EU was by the slightest majority.  France even worked hard to block the British from joining.  With friends like those...

Lots of cosmopolitan elitist tears over this, not sure anybody beyond that cares.  It's a shock to the progressive cause because the Star Trek TNG fantasy version of the EU was their promised paradise of 70 virgins.

But what you really mean is collective determination.2/3s of the Scottish would disagree that they have been granted self determination. Regardless of what level of self/collective determination, that concept breaks down when the decision is based on false or misleading information from people who have zero accountability for their broken promises and lies. This has been the issue with every US Presidential candidate in the last several elections and appears to have also had significant influence in the UKs Brexist vote as well.
    Ah there goes that cosmopolitan elitism again, you assume that you lost because your opposition doesn't know what they are doing or are stupid and easily lead.  Kettle meet pot, the information quality, public retention and associate media delivery methods on your side is equally banal.  Since it wouldn't be fair to leverage society based on equal relative lack of intelligence, self determination still wins.  Basically you're just name calling because you got beaten.  Not more intelligent, that's just being a sore loser. 

Scotland can always vote to leave the UK if they wish, ditto with Northern Ireland.  Few tears would be lost in Britain, and the economic savings might actually be a cause for some celebration.

However i I think it's highly unlikely they will, Scotland seems to have long since traded away it's taste for independence.
  • Reply 23 of 30
    jdgaz said:
    One day the billions will revolt and the overarching Chinese govt will fall. Kind of like the Brits just did. Enough was enough.
    Very naive. Secretaries in that country control wealth distribution. People do not have to say anything as long as they produce whatever needed and see income. Rich Chinese live lavish life to their standards and frequently abroad including the USA (trying sometimes to control this marked in different ways, but also contributing to favorable economy). I am not sure how in the climat of political correctness promising some wealth you would see that people in China would rebel against communist party secretaries. They run intelligent game and people aparently feel comfortable with this. They did not have rights either so building any level of wealth based on western consumption is their full focus. I would rather see problem if the USA started returning manufacturing to the USA or moving to South America from China. But that is not likely on large scale anymore. Just remember who holds US debt (bonds)..
    edited June 2016
  • Reply 24 of 30
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    redefiler said:
    wiggin said:
    Ah there goes that cosmopolitan elitism again, you assume that you lost because your opposition doesn't know what they are doing or are stupid and easily lead.  Kettle meet pot, the information quality, public retention and associate media delivery methods on your side is equally banal.  Since it wouldn't be fair to leverage society based on equal relative lack of intelligence, self determination still wins.  Basically you're just name calling because you got beaten.  Not more intelligent, that's just being a sore loser. 

Scotland can always vote to leave the UK if they wish, ditto with Northern Ireland.  Few tears would be lost in Britain, and the economic savings might actually be a cause for some celebration.

However i I think it's highly unlikely they will, Scotland seems to have long since traded away it's taste for independence.
    You assume I lost (actually, didn't have a dog in this particular race). But even when I'm on the "winning" side of the issue, I can recognize when my side was lying and am equally frustrated when people are asked to make choices based on that bad information. My comment was meant as an objective observation and applies to both sides of these issues. I don't give a rat's ass who you vote for...Republican/Democrat, Leave/Remain. But I do care that people be given honest information upon which to base their decisions.

So take the chip off your shoulder for a second and reread my post. You'll notice that I didn't criticize the people casting the votes. I criticized the people running the campaigns who intentionally provide false and misleading information knowing that they will never be held accountable for it. I don't expect people to become experts on every topics that may be asked to cast a vote on. But is it too much to ask for (hope for) those people to be given a fair chance at making the decision that's best for them based on truthful information. Because, and this was my point, it's not really self determination if it's based on bad info.
    lostkiwicornchip
  • Reply 25 of 30
    NemWanNemWan Posts: 118member
    maestro64 said:

Apple already know the identity of every person who gets apps from the app story, you have to put all your credential in to sign up. Also how else does Apple know to tell you the apps you down loaded need to be updated. I know Apple knows about every app I downloaded, I can get a summary of my activities. Therefore I am not sure this is a big deal.

On the censorship thing, no different in the US, Apple censors apps which do not apply with US laws and Apples own decency policies. The problem is china, Apple will most likely have to hire China party members to review content to make sure it does not violate Chinese rules, this way if something missed Apple can blame the party members and their heads will be cut off.

It is very different from the U.S. because the U.S. does not impose prior restraint (except on exceptional case-by-case circumstances as in a lawsuit). You do not have to pass a government review to publish in the U.S. If you publish something illegal you face the consequences after the fact.
  • Reply 26 of 30
    redefilerredefiler Posts: 323member
    wiggin said:
    redefiler said:

You assume I lost (actually, didn't have a dog in this particular race). But even when I'm on the "winning" side of the issue, I can recognize when my side was lying and am equally frustrated when people are asked to make choices based on that bad information. My comment was meant as an objective observation and applies to both sides of these issues. I don't give a rat's ass who you vote for...Republican/Democrat, Leave/Remain. But I do care that people be given honest information upon which to base their decisions.

So take the chip off your shoulder for a second and reread my post. You'll notice that I didn't criticize the people casting the votes. I criticized the people running the campaigns who intentionally provide false and misleading information knowing that they will never be held accountable for it. I don't expect people to become experts on every topics that may be asked to cast a vote on. But is it too much to ask for (hope for) those people to be given a fair chance at making the decision that's best for them based on truthful information. Because, and this was my point, it's not really self determination if it's based on bad info.
    Why do you assume people made this decision based on bad info?  You assume the people voting were voting for the same reasons featured by politicians in the media.  That may not be the case, they may have their own reasons.  Your entire premise is twisted and weird.  You are the one putting the extra emphasis on the politicians, then griping on the assumption that everyone else does too. 

Seems like the establishment was more than a little shocked by this vote, smells fishy when you worry about the establishment's influence.  Whatever the reasons and all politicians being equally shitty, the result for the British is less governmental layers and more direct, closer to home, representation.  Again, that's always a good thing.
  • Reply 27 of 30
    Next thing China will ask apple for will be un encryption tools and/or back doors. Apple will comply due to market size. 
  • Reply 28 of 30
    lostkiwilostkiwi Posts: 639member
    jdgaz said:
    One day the billions will revolt and the overarching Chinese govt will fall. Kind of like the Brits just did. Enough was enough.
    http://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2012/01/how-china-stays-stable-despite-500-protests-every-day/250940/
    That was a very interesting article. Thanks for the link. 
    I note it was written back in 2012. The Chinese economy is vastly different now. I wonder what is in store for the future for China. 
  • Reply 29 of 30
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,664member
    I thought Apple cared about human rights? 

Privacy is s fundamental right and all that. 

I guess money talks. 

But it the reality is they should just not do business with China until they change their attitude. 
  • Reply 30 of 30
    lkrupp said:
    eriamjh said:
    Apple will concede.  The market is too big to ignore.  
    Apple may very well concede and it will only amplify the company’s political hypocrisy. Withholding technical support from the GOP convention while spying on Chinese citizens for their totalitarian government. Boycotting North Carolina because of a bathroom law while kowtowing to India where the ancient caste system ignores human rights and labels people as “untouchable.” It would seem Tim Cook’s Apple is selectively indignant where it involves profit.

But then we are ALL hypocrites in one way or another are we not?

Hey, Apple seems to be doing pretty well in the US with racism and xenophobia. Why can't they sell in India with the caste system?

You said it beautifully - we are all hypocrites.