Apple's use of web carousels target of new patent lawsuit

Posted:
in General Discussion edited July 2016
A Pennsylvania man is suing Apple for using carousels on its website, claiming the common web user interface is in infringement of patented technology dating back to 2008.

Lodged in Northern Illinois District Court on Thursday, Samuel Lit's lawsuit asserts Apple's website homepage, which contains a number of display windows that cycle through various new and upcoming products, is in infringement of a patent covering web carousel technology.

As of this writing, Apple.com features a large dynamic carousel element with a four-pane UI cycling through major product advertisements for iPhone 6s, iPad Pro, Apple Watch and MacBook. Assets are rotated on a timer, hence the term "carousel," though visitors are able to cycle through at their leisure by clicking on interactive onscreen arrows or a row of dots.

Lit is leveraging U.S. Patent No. 8,793,330 for an "Information display system and method," which includes claims that describe elements of a display engine configured to deliver carousel content from a server to a webpage. Further claims cover statistical and financial functions in relation to database analytics.

A resident Penn Valley, Penn., filing the suit under Illinois' long-arm statute, Lit is an experienced radio broadcaster who dabbles in computer technology, according to Broadcast Pioneers of Philadelphia. He previously served as President of Hy Lit Radio Technologies, official applicant of the '330 patent.

It appears that Lit attempted to monetize his carousel patent through a website called YourDisplayCarousel.com, which ceased operation in December. He also marketed search engine technology through HyLitGlobalSearch.com, as well as network audio solutions and a live streaming radio show via HyLitRadio.com and HyLitRhythm.com. The various projects were named after Lit's father Hy, a famous local radio broadcaster.

Lit seeks royalties with interest in his case against Apple.

Samuel Lit Lawsuit

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    razormaidrazormaid Posts: 299member
    I'm not saying Apple is guilty or not guilty but what the hell?  How come EVERYONE sues Apple but the second Apple fights for its rights they are shot down and fined too boot?  Case in point Samsung. There's an old saying "youre not a little bit pregnant you're either pregnant or your not". Samsung copied it down to the packaging the charging cable EVERYTHING and still has not suffered anything but millions of sales. 
    kevin keemagman1979moreckjustadcomicsEsquireCatsredgeminipa
  • Reply 2 of 22
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    It is sad that when it comes to Apple, people have double standard. It's pathetic really that all they see is "Apple does no good" even though it's so obviously not the case. Remember the 'doodle lawsuit that claimed Apple stole his kiddy design?' Ironically, a certain company claimed "does no evil" yet is exactly the opposite.
    edited July 2016 moreckredgeminipa
  • Reply 3 of 22
    If your website posts at least one picture that violates patent I hold #I-Sue-You-87385738.

Also, if you are smiling in your digital photo, I have a patent on that, too. Therefore, you cannot smile for photos and if you do, I Sue You.

How can one sue a company because they have their website laid out in a certain way?????
    moreckredgeminipa
  • Reply 4 of 22
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    This will very likely be dismissed due to prior art.  A couple hours with the way back machine is likely all the work Apple's legal team will need to do.  Also, it may be deemed obvious and derivative (not too far from cover flow, something Apple was using long before 2008).  But if in some bizarre universe he prevails, he can sue me next.  Just go look at the home page of my company's website, TimeTrade.com.   
    netroxmoreckjustadcomicsredgeminipa
  • Reply 5 of 22
    ipilyaipilya Posts: 195member

From: http://www.adamfellowes.com/blog/user-experience/the-rise-of-the-carosuel

So where did the carousel originate?

The first ‘main stream’ use of the carousel is that seen as part of the iTunes user interface. Here Apple took the analogy of the carousel from the jukebox that many music fans are familiar with. Fittingly this is a great digitization of a very tactile interaction that many will have encountered before and so matching the mental model of navigating a vast music collection.

When this interaction is taken out of this space its familiarity is lost. Experienced (apple) users are familiar with information being made available in this way. Those less exposed to apple products, often, during user testing session’s falter in successfully finding or navigating content presented as part of a carousel.

edited July 2016 moreckredgeminipa
  • Reply 6 of 22
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    Pennsylvania Man and Florida Man are the worst superheroes.
    radarthekatmoreckjustadcomics
  • Reply 7 of 22
    kakmankakman Posts: 14member
    Am I the only one who sees the irony in AppleInsider running a carousel right above this story :)
    radarthekatredgeminipaicoco3
  • Reply 8 of 22
    VisualSeedVisualSeed Posts: 217member
    From Wikipedia: "Cover Flow was purchased by Apple Inc. in 2006, and its technology was integrated into its music application, iTunes 7.0, which was released September 12, 2006. The name was previously "CoverFlow" without a space." Examples of less 3D styles of web carousels can be found on google and archive.org searches going back to 2000 - 2001 era. I distinctly remember an animated slideshow object with next / previous buttons as part of GoLive CyberStudio (pre Adobe acquisition) in 1999/98.
    edited July 2016 radarthekatjustadcomics
  • Reply 9 of 22
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    kakman said:
    Am I the only one who sees the irony in AppleInsider running a carousel right above this story :)
    BEST COMMENT OF 2016!
    justadcomics
  • Reply 10 of 22
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    razormaid said:
    I'm not saying Apple is guilty or not guilty but what the hell?  How come EVERYONE sues Apple but the second Apple fights for its rights they are shot down and fined too boot?  Case in point Samsung. There's an old saying "youre not a little bit pregnant you're either pregnant or your not". Samsung copied it down to the packaging the charging cable EVERYTHING and still has not suffered anything but millions of sales. 
    Lawsuits = Money
    moreck
  • Reply 11 of 22
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,421member
    Web carousels was common and virtually all JS frameworks support carousels. 

However, I consider carousels to be a bad UX design so I am surprised Apple chose it. 

designr
  • Reply 12 of 22
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,707member
    Um... Nearly ALL websites do this. Dude is going to sue ONE party? Get real.
    redgeminipa
  • Reply 13 of 22
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Total absolute BS, this thing has existed since forever. Another idiocy.
    justadcomics
  • Reply 14 of 22
    pscooter63pscooter63 Posts: 1,080member
    I smell desperation.
  • Reply 15 of 22
    ManquemanManqueman Posts: 39member
    It's early, and my brain hasn't fully fired up, so....

I don't remember when Apple started using carousels -- when the iOS App store got redesigned? At some version of iTunes? But what I wonder is: When is he going to go after Amazon? Unlike Apple, where a carousel was part of an app one had to dig for, more or less, Amazon used the exact same thing as the main interface in their forked Android tablets. Prominent and a feature they boasted of.

So when's Amazon getting their turn (no pun)?
    redgeminipa
  • Reply 16 of 22
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    Manqueman said:
    It's early, and my brain hasn't fully fired up, so....

I don't remember when Apple started using carousels -- when the iOS App store got redesigned? At some version of iTunes? But what I wonder is: When is he going to go after Amazon? Unlike Apple, where a carousel was part of an app one had to dig for, more or less, Amazon used the exact same thing as the main interface in their forked Android tablets. Prominent and a feature they boasted of.

So when's Amazon getting their turn (no pun)?
    IF he were to somehow win anything from Apple you can bet he'll then move on to others such as Amazon. In fact some smaller potential "infringers" would simply take a license without putting up a fight.  I suppose he just figured to try a shot at the biggest target first. 
    redgeminipa
  • Reply 17 of 22
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    This is DOA, a left over of converting things from the physical world to the digital world.
  • Reply 18 of 22
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    kakman said:
    BEST COMMENT OF 2016!
    coincidence, not irony. 
  • Reply 19 of 22
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    Just for grins I looked up the domain SUEAPPLE.COM and some numbskull actually registered it. It redirects to some other idiotic placeholder website, but still...really?
  • Reply 20 of 22
    JohnDeeJohnDee Posts: 50member
    Like ambulance chasers, most patent chasers fill me with an urge to regurgitate.