New photos of alleged Lightning EarPods for Apple's 'iPhone 7' match recent leak

Comments

• Reply 21 of 65
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    These have been confirmed as fake.
    Where? By whom?
  • Reply 22 of 65
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member

ireland said:

Me, I must be old-school as I still choose wired headphones (earbuds) over Bluetooth due to high cost, bulk, charging requirements and battery life limitations. Wired means immediate, no pairing, no dead battery ever and no need to think about charging—plug and play. Both have pluses and minuses. Wired are my preference.
    Not sure when you last bought or used one. My Beats Studio Wireless -- the best pair of headphones I've owned (and I've owned, and still own, a lot of them) -- easily gives me 12-15 hours. Moreover, it comes with the wired option as well.

The sheer convenience of not having dangling, tangled cords is a massive plus.
    nolamacguybrucemc
  • Reply 23 of 65
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    larrya said:
    ireland said:
    Honestly this design wouldn't surprise me. Looks quite Apple. I also think a better design is to put the DAC near the lighting port and away from the in-line controls and the buds. Costs will go up too. Expect a minimum of $39 for Lightning EarPods. Bundled free with the new iPhone (6x) of course.

Me, I must be old-school as I still choose wired headphones (earbuds) over Bluetooth due to high cost, bulk, charging requirements and battery life limitations. Wired means immediate, no pairing, no dead battery ever and no need to think about charging—plug and play. Both have pluses and minuses. Wired are my preference.
    Based on earlier information on the Lightning port, there is no need for an external DAC, and I doubt Apple would waste the money to include one unless it's absolutely necessary. Apparently the pins are reassignable to be analog audio. I think this is why the article mentions the possibility of an "authenticator" chip rather than a DAC.  
    You are as likely to get those pins reassigned to output analogue audio as the US is to switch to driving on the left, which is also theoretically possible.

aylknetmage
  • Reply 24 of 65
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member

ireland said:

Not sure when you last bought or used one. My Beats Studio Wireless -- the best pair of headphones I've owned (and I've owned, and still own, a lot of them) -- easily gives me 12-15 hours. Moreover, it comes with the wired option as well.

agreed; i get good battery life on my pair of Plantronics gym buds (charge them once a week), and my Philips office headphones have a wire for optional standard mini-phono jack...good blend of functionality.

now that iOS can report a headphone's battery life in the Today pulldown, im not left wondering when to charge. only bummer is trying to use one pair on multiple devices. i hope apple can improve this pairing process.
    brucemc
  • Reply 25 of 65
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    jetpilot said:
    My 2015 $300 Bose noise cancelling headset didn't ship with my 1983 Walkman, but you expect me to just throw that away so I can have an iPhone that is 1mm thinner.  That makes sense only in the mind of an Apple fanboy.  There's a reason why that jack has been around for so long...because it works and it works well.

This is where I insert the quote "if it isn't broke, don't fix it".
    Sorry to say this, but technology doesn't care how much your headphones cost or when you bought them. The 3.5 mm jack may work well, but it does have and end of life just like everything else. Those headphones could be a lot lighter if used with a lighting jack because then the iPhone or iPad could then power the noise cancelling effect instead of having to use bulky and heavy batteries. 

One rumor I heard is that the Lightning EarPods could even have noise canceling due to the Lightning jack. Our iPhones already have noise cancelling technology, but due to the dated headphone jack, the EarPods aren't able use the microphone in a way that would be able to do the same thing. So yeah, the headphone jack actually is broke. I'd love to have noise cancelling with any headphones I use. 
    Removal of the 3.5mm headphone jack will cause issues, no doubt, for those of us that have purchased expensive / high quality headphones.  

However, before the Internet rumour mob gets too worked up, they might want to wait until the iPhone7* series products are actually revealed.  As noted above, Apple "just might" have some carrots to go along with the stick.  Noise cancelling capability derived from iPhone is one.  Better quality audio could be another.  Despite what many on this forum think, Apple mgmt are not stupid, and they know removing the ages old jack will face backlash.  They will want to have positives to offset the negatives.

My Sony noise cancelling headphones have a detachable 3.5mm cable anyways (which I believe is pretty common for over-the-ear headphones), so I am hopeful that either Apple, or a MFI licensee vendor, will produce a lightning to 3.5mm cable that will allow backwards compatibility (at a reasonable price...:).  

I wonder if Apple is doing this change this year, to get the backlash over with, so that next years "iPhone 10", that is rumoured to be quite a redesign, will not be encumbered with the conversation.  Pull the bandaid off now so to speak. 

• Reply 26 of 65
    jetpilot said:
    My 2015 $300 Bose noise cancelling headset didn't ship with my 1983 Walkman, but you expect me to just throw that away so I can have an iPhone that is 1mm thinner.  That makes sense only in the mind of an Apple fanboy.  There's a reason why that jack has been around for so long...because it works and it works well.

This is where I insert the quote "if it isn't broke, don't fix it".
    Sorry to say this, but technology doesn't care how much your headphones cost or when you bought them. The 3.5 mm jack may work well, but it does have and end of life just like everything else. Those headphones could be a lot lighter if used with a lighting jack because then the iPhone or iPad could then power the noise cancelling effect instead of having to use bulky and heavy batteries. 

One rumor I heard is that the Lightning EarPods could even have noise canceling due to the Lightning jack. Our iPhones already have noise cancelling technology, but due to the dated headphone jack, the EarPods aren't able use the microphone in a way that would be able to do the same thing. So yeah, the headphone jack actually is broke. I'd love to have noise cancelling with any headphones I use. 
    So when is the end of life for normal AC power plugs?
    baconstangaylk
  • Reply 27 of 65
    If Apple make a car, it will have triangular wheels.  You will be able to buy a triangle to - old outdated round wheels adapter for those who just don't get how brilliant Apple's new paradigm is, for a mere $16,000 extra.
    baconstangpbrstreetgaylk
  • Reply 28 of 65
    doozydozendoozydozen Posts: 539member
    grangerfx said:
    How do you charge the iPhone 7 and listen to the earpods at the same time?
    I'm wondering that too. You probably can't charge at the same time unless Apple plans on adding wireless charging. 
    Inductive charging would be an awesome addition.
    Reasonable speculation: so Apple might finally ditch the AUX connector. I'm sure Apple has been planning for this transition for longer than "experts" have expected, likely waiting till an emerging technology could be thoughtfully implemented into the EarPods as a result of going fully digital with Lightning. To show the world there is a technical reason for all digital and a thus the appropriate design decision to give up the analog AUX. This undefined feature would punctuate Apple's justification to do so. The narrative would be the world now gets feature X as a result. Instead of the world complaining that Apple f*#ked up. Apple has had plenty of time to make this transition a victory, not a failure.
    Now, what this emerging technology must be is beyond me. Ask Apple, or wait till Fall...
    edited July 2016
  • Reply 29 of 65
    What I find odd is the rounded end of the Lightning connector end piece. Apple has been using a more squared shape for the end piece in recent years. The last time I saw one with this profile was the FireWire 400 to iPod cable...
    nolamacguyanomenetmage
  • Reply 30 of 65
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    What I find odd is the rounded end of the Lightning connector end piece. Apple has been using a more squared shape for the end piece in recent years. The last time I saw one with this profile was the FireWire 400 to iPod cable...
    It doesn't look very Apple-ish, but then could anyone copy the shape of the EarPod ends?
  • Reply 31 of 65
    tommikeletommikele Posts: 599member
    Earpods are the worst. I know very few people who can or will use them. They simply won't stay in the ear of most people. I have been at a loss of an explanation for many years as to why Apple only has pods when you purchase a new device. I just can't believe buds would cost more. I'm an Apple guy, but this kind of petty crap that adds up and is the stuff that in moment of dismay makes me think their relationship with me just may not be permanent.
    radarthekat
  • Reply 32 of 65
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    These have been confirmed as fake.
    where did apple weigh in? press release?

because the only thing i see on the MR story update is a link to an editor's tweet: "FYI, these are not official EarPods..." -- which doesn't confirm a damn thing, really. no more than the pics confirmed that they were even real.

how people can treat rumors as gospel (going to far as to throw "will not buy!!" fits or blame Phil Schiller for everything) is something ill never know. this stuff is fun to talk about, but you can't really treat any of it as fact until it's out.
    True but where there's smoke...
  • Reply 33 of 65
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member

Because that's what everyone wants...to spend $30 on a clunky adapter.
    adapters are a temporary solution. in the future things won't be as they were in the past.
    If wireless was good enough right now, but it's not...yet.
    baconstang
  • Reply 34 of 65
    bigdobigdo Posts: 19member

agreed; i get good battery life on my pair of Plantronics gym buds (charge them once a week), and my Philips office headphones have a wire for optional standard mini-phono jack...good blend of functionality.

now that iOS can report a headphone's battery life in the Today pulldown, im not left wondering when to charge. only bummer is trying to use one pair on multiple devices. i hope apple can improve this pairing process.
    I too, agree. I was skeptical about using wireless headphones until I got the Beats Studio Wireless. Wireless audio quality has come a long way. I was also surprised how much more enjoyable it is to listen with headphones without constantly worrying about the wire. As far as pairing, the Beats Studio headphones make it very easy. When you turn them on they automatically pair with the last paired device. To change pairing you hold down a button and connect on the new device. It's simple enough, and I haven't had any pairing issues in the 8 months of I have used them.
    nolamacguy
  • Reply 35 of 65
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member

cnocbui said:

Ha-ha, don't be obtuse. The 3.5 mm jack is a waste of space, period. There are only four contacts to be made in that gaping hole, while the much smaller Lightning jack is capable of 17, or actually more because pin selection is intelligent, thus the authentication chip.

Engineers are compelled by natural common sense to design to the efficiencies available in current production practices. The user benefits by not having to insert a long clunky plug with balky detents. Apple's Lightning plug insertion experience is infinitely more finessed. 
  • Reply 36 of 65
    toddzrxtoddzrx Posts: 254member
    I'm wondering that too. You probably can't charge at the same time unless Apple plans on adding wireless charging. 
    Reasonable speculation: so Apple might finally ditch the AUX connector. I'm sure Apple has been planning for this transition for longer than "experts" have expected, likely waiting till an emerging technology could be thoughtfully implemented into the EarPods as a result of going fully digital with Lightning. To show the world there is a technical reason for all digital and a thus the appropriate design decision to give up the analog AUX. This undefined feature would punctuate Apple's justification to do so. The narrative would be the world now gets feature X as a result. Instead of the world complaining that Apple f*#ked up. Apple has had plenty of time to make this transition a victory, not a failure.
    Now, what this emerging technology must be is beyond me. Ask Apple, or wait till Fall...
    That's like me saying I'd be president if only I got elected.  Well, no $hit!

iPhones have now been around long enough, and have a broad enough consumer base, that they've been "integrated" into the way people go about their day.  The novelty has worn off for most everyone, and at this point eliminating a jack that is common to every audio component on the planet will be seen by most consumers as an interruption to how they operate as opposed to a significant advance.
    aylk
  • Reply 37 of 65
    cnocbui said:

depends when we're presented with other options with considerable value add. 
  • Reply 38 of 65

where did apple weigh in? press release?

because the only thing i see on the MR story update is a link to an editor's tweet: "FYI, these are not official EarPods..." -- which doesn't confirm a damn thing, really. no more than the pics confirmed that they were even real.

how people can treat rumors as gospel (going to far as to throw "will not buy!!" fits or blame Phil Schiller for everything) is something ill never know. this stuff is fun to talk about, but you can't really treat any of it as fact until it's out.
    True but where there's smoke...
    indeed, which is why i believe we're going to see a change in this area. but nothing on that article confirmed that these EarPods were real or not real. 
  • Reply 39 of 65

bigdo said:

I too, agree. I was skeptical about using wireless headphones until I got the Beats Studio Wireless. Wireless audio quality has come a long way. I was also surprised how much more enjoyable it is to listen with headphones without constantly worrying about the wire. As far as pairing, the Beats Studio headphones make it very easy. When you turn them on they automatically pair with the last paired device. To change pairing you hold down a button and connect on the new device. It's simple enough, and I haven't had any pairing issues in the 8 months of I have used them.
    good to know. 

and yes on the wires -- there's no way I'd chose to use wires in at least the gym anymore. way, way easier to operate my fitness app and music on my device and not have to worry about wires. even in my car I'm starting to use the automatic BT more than the Lightning. unless I need to charge during a long drive.
  • Reply 40 of 65

toddzrx said:
    That's like me saying I'd be president if only I got elected.  Well, no $hit!

iPhones have now been around long enough, and have a broad enough consumer base, that they've been "integrated" into the way people go about their day.  The novelty has worn off for most everyone, and at this point eliminating a jack that is common to every audio component on the planet will be seen by most consumers as an interruption to how they operate as opposed to a significant advance.
    how could you possibly know if you don't know what the benefits are? we simply don't know.