Rumor: Apple to adopt USB Type-C in another upcoming MacBook, whether it's Pro or Air

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 61
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    toddzrx said:
    Stop this quest for thinness Apple. There are more important things that we consider as USP's for our next purchase of PRO laptops.

Magsafe is a great differenciator from the Bog Standard Windows Laptops.
    Give me back an RJ45 port.
    Ok, give me USB-C but keep at least one USB3 port and at least one Thundebolt 2 port.

Why all this?

We hate having to carry around frigging adapters everywhere we go.

Keep in mind: one of the main advantages of USB-C, among many, is to eliminate the need for adapters completely.  Obviously we'll need adapters for legacy USB-A for a while, but once USB-C is universal, like USB-A is now, we'll literally have one port that accommodates multiple functions.  I don't buy into new tech for the sake of new tech, but USB-C does bring a lot of advantages that I think will be worth the cost of changing to it.
    By the time USBc is universal, most users likely won't have a need for cables at all. For all but complete backups, I can just about get away with AirPlay, AirDrop, iCloud, and BT/Wifi for just about all of my data/AV needs. If not for the need of power, I wouldn't even need to plug in my Mac to anything. 

I'd rather see them add a Lightning port, Since I'm going to need one for compatibility with my Lightning headphones anyway, as I've got four years of acquiring Lightning cables that serve me well, and that I would not be eager to replace anytime soon. So Apple keeps using Lightning until USBc becomes standard, and then everything goes wireless. Maybe even removing the port completely on some products, or perhaps an inductive virtual port of some sort that connects via a magnet and supplies certain functionality for people who insist on wires (like headphones).

For now, I can be assured that with over half-a-billion iOS devices, no matter where in the world I go, there's a good chance I can find a Lightning cable. And that's certainly true for USB-A. Can anyone make the same claim about USBc? Can it be said in 2 years?
    edited July 2016