FBI director calls for restart of smartphone encryption debate

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 65
    mytdavemytdave Posts: 447member
    slurpy said:
    apple ][ said:
    Screw that guy, letting the #1 criminal go scot free.

My trust in the FBI is approximately 0%.

And something terrible is no doubt going to happen sooner rather than later, and I do not give a crap if the FBI can not hack into any phones. Something terrible happens approximately every 86 hours in Europe, sucks to be them I guess.

I am currently supporting Russian hackers, Chinese hackers and hackers all over the world and wikileaks too to do what the FBI refused to do, bring justice! Let's see those emails! They're coming soon! It's going to be awesome! I can't wait!
    Noone gives a shit about what you think of Clinton, you're really an embarrassment with your foaming-at-the-mouth posts devoid of any logic or reason. You don't decide who is and isn't a criminal. You're also a traitor, for cheering on hacking attempts from foreign governments. And supporting a demagogue like Donald Trump who has yet to say a single sane thing this entire election cycle, besides his ignorant and hate-filled tirades.
    Killary is a 100% felon. Oh, and the poster you replied to didn't mention the Donald anywhere in their post.
    edited August 2016 tallest skil
  • Reply 62 of 65
    mytdavemytdave Posts: 447member
    crowley said:
    If you’re unfamiliar with English, why not hold off on commenting thereon? He (Trump) said absolutely no such thing.
    Babe, absolutely no such thing?

"Russia, if you're listening, I hope you're able to find the 30,000 emails that are missing.  I think you will probably be rewarded mightily by our press."

How is that not encouraging a foreign entity to engage in espionage?

Encouraging - "reward" - Check.
    Foreign entity - "Russia" - Check.
    Espionage - "email" (hacking) - Check.
    Treason - "I hope" - Check. 

A reward? Really? It's sarcasm, because they won't be rewarded by our press - any story will be buried. Do you not understand that?
    Foreign entity - Russia. Yes.
    Hacking? When did the word "find" equate to hacking? There is nothing to hack, the email server no longer exists. The data is already out there.
    The word "hope" means treason? In what parallel universe? Treason requires giving/receiving material support such as money, kind of like what Felonary does.
    tallest skil
  • Reply 63 of 65
    zebra said:
    I just don't understand the logic of this discussion.

Assuming 100% of all smart phones had zero encryption, there would always be many third party applications that encrypt messages on the fly. Many of them are free and quite effective. Most such developers are not subject to American law. I see no way to stop them. So why burden iOS or Android with laws designed to weaken encryption? Such restrictions the FBI and other authorities want defy logic.

What am I missing?
    Nothing that I can see. The knowledge and source code for public-key encryption is published world-wide, and is covered by the First Amendment in the US (see the Criminal investigation entry). The FBI and Congress are essentially asking that it be illegal to use certain types of mathematics.
  • Reply 64 of 65
    xmhillx said:
    The FBI was able to pay $1.3m to get into the particular phone. The FBI could ask for those specific funds in their yearly budget.

Why have Apple make a back door to their general iOS intended for the government, yet available to everyone, when there are alternative ways to get into a phone rather than compromising the entire iOS.  
    You can pay $ to have a 3rd party break encryption. The OS is already compromised.
    edited August 2016