BMW begins Apple CarPlay support with paid upgrades to 2 Series

Posted:
in iPhone
Long a holdout, BMW this week finally launched support for Apple's CarPlay by offering the technology as an upgrade option for 2 Series cars.

The option costs $300, and is available on Coupe, Convertible, xDrive Coupe, and xDrive Convertible versions of the 230i and M240i. The 2017 230i starts at $32,850, while the M240i costs upwards of $45,145.

BMW first announced plans to support CarPlay in November. In May, leaks revealed that the X5M and X6M would get support, and by June the feature was expected for upcoming versions of the M3 and M4 as well.

Some automakers have been more leery of CarPlay than others, either hoping to steer people towards proprietary dashboard interfaces or working to find the best integration strategy. Other companies may have simply wanted to see demand before committing.

Most major brands are now onboard, the most conspicuous gap being Toyota.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Expensive car and and still have to pay for Carplay ? Thought, suppose to be standard feature.
  • Reply 2 of 29
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Why does every other company have free updates yet because its an expensive car we have to charge for it. You'd think after paying for a BMW they wouldn't nickel and dime you. 
    lordjohnwhorfinnolamacguyroundaboutnow
  • Reply 3 of 29
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    wood1208 said:
    Expensive car and and still have to pay for Carplay ? Thought, suppose to be standard feature.
    BMW à la cartes you for practically everything. This is no surprise. They've been charging $250 for "smartphone integration" for years.
    lordjohnwhorfinanantksundaramaylk
  • Reply 4 of 29
    mtbnutmtbnut Posts: 199member
    My wife wants a Toyota, but I want a Honda if only for CarPlay support. 
    edited August 2016
  • Reply 5 of 29
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    mtbnut said:
    We are in the market for a minivan. We want a Sienna, but the Odyssey is just as good. 

Honda supports CarPlay, so we're going towards them instead of Toyota, what with their lame 8-bit dancing pachinko graphics.
    So you would consider CarPlay over price, gas mileage, reliability, servicing costs, resale value, how it drives/handles, suitability for task etc? Interesting.
    edited August 2016 sirlance99
  • Reply 6 of 29
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    The Odyssey is super ugly, get the Toyota.
    sirlance99redraider11
  • Reply 7 of 29
    hpaulhhpaulh Posts: 16member
    New BMWs only? What about us 2014 owners ... how's about an upgrade path???
  • Reply 8 of 29
    hpaulh said:
    New BMWs only? What about us 2014 owners ... how's about an upgrade path???
    I am sure your dealer takes trade ins.

zroger73aylkdisneylandman
  • Reply 9 of 29
    $300? How do they reasonable justify that cost for a software update? BWM owners are not paying for the feature of CarPlay because that part of the software is free. So $300 for what again?
  • Reply 10 of 29
    They gotta charge for CarPlay, because who'd spend $2k for the factory nav when it's "free" with CarPlay?
    aylk
  • Reply 11 of 29
    2stepbay2stepbay Posts: 116member
    $300? How do they reasonable justify that cost for a software update? BWM owners are not paying for the feature of CarPlay because that part of the software is free. So $300 for what again?
    Don't know about BMW, but I received notice from Ford telling me my 2016 was eligible for Carplay (this Fall). In addition to a software upgrade to Sync 3 would also require a hardware upgrade (nothing specific mentioned, but perhaps something to activate CP from the steering wheel). That upgrade would be done by the dealer for an undisclosed sum. Perhaps same is true for BMW?
    doozydozen
  • Reply 12 of 29
    sandorsandor Posts: 658member
    hentaiboy said:
    mtbnut said:
    We are in the market for a minivan. We want a Sienna, but the Odyssey is just as good. 

Honda supports CarPlay, so we're going towards them instead of Toyota, what with their lame 8-bit dancing pachinko graphics.
    So you would consider CarPlay over price, gas mileage, reliability, servicing costs, resale value, how it drives/handles, suitability for task etc? Interesting.

The debate is Honda vs. Toyota.
    it is not like mtbnut wants a Ford Pinto with its fireball-causing rear end gas tank.  :/
  • Reply 13 of 29
    hentaiboy said:
    mtbnut said:

It's two minivans from the industry leaders, they're pretty much equivalent in looks, mileage, handling, reliability, servicing costs and resale value. I initially had the same reaction you did, but really there is not much to differenciate them. Having CarPlay or not becomes a significant difference. It's not like they're picking a convertible Mustang instead of a Sienna...
    kingofsomewherehot
  • Reply 14 of 29
    I was at a BMW dealership yesterday, and was told (by a seemingly knowledgable person there) that all the 4, 5, and 6 series vehicles will have CarPlay in the 2017 models, for orders starting this Spetember or after. Mercedes Benz will also be making CarPlay standard in most of its models (this can be confirmed on the 'Build Your Own' sector of their website). 

I think that, finally, CarPlay is getting to the point of serious takeoff. Quite exciting, and excited!
  • Reply 15 of 29
    rob55 said:
    wood1208 said:
    BMW à la cartes you for practically everything. This is no surprise. They've been charging $250 for "smartphone integration" for years.
    Spot on. 
  • Reply 16 of 29
    CarPlay is very useful. I have been using it for the last month. Just the fact that now I never have my phone in my hands is a huge plus. Something that I used to do since version 1.
  • Reply 17 of 29
    I hate the automakers... All of them.
  • Reply 18 of 29
    I've driven BMWs for years and as much as I love the brand I'm sick of getting nickel and dimed for options that should be standard in a premium brand. If Honda and Kia can include if, f'ing BMW should as well
    MacPromazda 3s
  • Reply 19 of 29
    here in Germany, carplay will cost you at least 3,000 EUR, not 300. BMW bundles carplay with their most expensive Navigation professional. You only get carplay if you also order together the built-inNavigation Pro which at least here in Germany cost more than 2500 EUR. i personally think thats ridiculous because carplay is supposed to replace the built-in Navigation. wondering why nobody from the media bashes BMW for that. i like their cars but this is a no-go. cheers.
  • Reply 20 of 29
    JanNLJanNL Posts: 327member
    sixcolors said:
    I hate the automakers... All of them.
    Because you love all the bicycle makers?
    macxpresszroger73