Watchdog group finds Pegatron exploiting workers in lead up to 'iPhone 7' launch

Posted:
in General Discussion edited August 2016
Apple's repeated demands that suppliers cut costs have reportedly prompted "iPhone 7" manufacturing partner Pegatron to skirt the tech giant's audits with covert decreases in effective pay and increases in illegal overtime amid worsening working conditions, according to frequent critic China Labor Watch.

The most recent report by China Labor Watch utilizes copies of pay stubs collected in 2015 and 2016. The group claims that Apple's falling profits is putting pressure on manufacturing partners to lower costs, a situation that leads to mistreatment of Chinese workers.

Over two years of examination, the group collected over 2000 pay stubs. The base wage of most workers was equal to the legal minimum wage for the time period which varied between $304 and $350 per month. This is reportedly offset by deductions taken in accordance with China labor law from the paychecks for social insurance, and other fees assessed by the company for lodging and other expenses.

China Labor Watch claims that the average wage in Shanghai was $895 per month. By comparison, Pegatron workers who had accumulated up to 90 overtime hours received only $633 per month over the evaluation period, and in off-peak manufacturing times generally made between $301 and $452 per month.

Further, the group discovered excessive overtime in departments where more man hours are needed. An analysis of payroll records in March revealed one employee worked 109 hours, or three times the legal limit of 36 hours. Apple responded to the findings in July, saying that while the China Labor Watch statistics were higher than in-house audits, excessive overtime continues to be a problem in certain departments.

China Labor Watch claims that Pegatron's working condition is "Apple's responsibility" despite Apple not holding a financial stake in the ownership of the company. Additional complaints against Apple are levied for it seemingly wanting to "keep money in its hands and do nothing" about Pegatron's working conditions.

In Apple's supplier responsibility report for 2016, the company claimed that following 640 audits of the supply chain, compliance with its hourly standards exceeded 97 percent. China Labor Watch denies that audits are effective, as measures can be taken beforehand to game the system, with the company able to fake records that show compliance to the Apple-ordered requirements.

Activist groups and media reports have called attention to issues at both Pegatron and Foxconn that span pay issues, use of underage labor, terrible dorm conditions, and lax safety standards. While Apple claims that the situation has improved radically under supervision, reports continue to surface of continuing problems.

China Labor Watch August Pegatron report

Comments

• Reply 1 of 38
    OMG they found a messy room visually indistinct from almost any teenagers room. Fire Tim! Get Eddie Cue on the line! SELL the stock!!!
    edited August 2016 brian greenmwhiteteejay2012lolliverthewhitefalcontopper24hoursDeelrontokyojimubigjony0
  • Reply 2 of 38
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    OMG they found a messy room visually indistinct from almost any teenagers room. Fire Tim! Get Eddie Cue on the line! SELL the stock!!!
    Idiots are gonna blame Apple.
    mwhiteandrewj5790lollivertopper24hoursSpamSandwichjony0
  • Reply 3 of 38
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    With Apple among others purportedly demanding even lower prices it's no particular surprise IMO that Pegatron along with other suppliers might tend to put off workplace improvements, ignore some safety issues,  pressure employees on overtime pay,  or put off hourly pay increases. 
    ronnboredumbbigjasenj1badmonk
  • Reply 4 of 38
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Another pre rollout hit piece like the touchscreen one. Par for the course these days sadly enough. 
    mwhiteandrewj5790lolliverbigjony0
  • Reply 5 of 38
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    where are the similar reports on the household TV, DVD and other consumer electronics brands? why is this about apple?
    lollivertopper24hoursbigjony0badmonk
  • Reply 6 of 38
    where are the similar reports on the household TV, DVD and other consumer electronics brands? why is this about apple?
    Those don't make a splash and get the "watchdog" group any publicity.
    edited August 2016 lollivertopper24hoursjfc1138Deelronnolamacguybigjony0
  • Reply 7 of 38
    gatorguy said:
    With Apple among others purportedly demanding even lower prices it's no particular surprise IMO that Pegatron along with other suppliers might tend to put off workplace improvements, ignore some safety issues,  pressure employees on overtime pay,  or put off hourly pay increases. 
    Here's the problem with this report. They blame the iPhone 7, but they're using two years of pay stubs. Is the iPhone 7 so powerful that it forced lower wages for over a year before its release?
    topper24hoursSpamSandwichDeelronbigjasenj1
  • Reply 8 of 38
    williamhwilliamh Posts: 1,034member
    How is 36 hours a week the legal limit?  Are the factories in France?

The article mentions the average wages for Shanghai. Are the factories in Shanghai? It might be like comparing average wages for Manhattan to the average wages for some community in West Virginia.

Lastly, the Chinese people might not be free but they don't have to work for Pegatron. They could be working for some dildo factory somewhere, probably getting paid in kind.
    big
  • Reply 9 of 38
    splifsplif Posts: 603member
    OMG! I get to live at work and share every minute of my life with co-workers! How Awesome! It's just like being a teenager again! I especially love the prison mattress
    and the luxurious amount of space for me to live! Does it come in get me the fuck out of here? I'm sure they have an open bed if you can hack it.
    ronnboredumb
  • Reply 10 of 38
    Apple demands suppliers cut costs so they can maintain their high margins and profits, so in order for the razor thin margins the suppliers were making cut even more and in an effort to many any profits themselves they force impossible overtime demands and cut wages to insure their profits are maintained. Sure every company has a fiduciary responsibility to insure profits to their shareholders, no problem. BUT, when you profits are dropping due to slowing demand caused by longer upgrade windows that is YOUR PROBLEM, not your suppliers problem. Sounds like Apple has yet another winner on its hands, Greed, Abuse and Disregard for safe working conditions as they promised to do. SHOCKER, NOT!
    ronnboredumb
  • Reply 11 of 38
    ronnronn Posts: 654member
    gatorguy said:
    It's all about the margins. Apple should make sure its manufacturers adheres to its own standards when they demand lower pricing. How do they think it'll be possible without the manufacturers cutting corners? CLW issues reports on others, not just Apple. I've read mentions of their reports criticizing toy companies -- Hasbro and Mattel -- and even US frying pan companies. This being Appleinsider, I don't expect to see reports about poor working conditions at Android manufacturers. Apple holds itself above others, so we should expect them to live up to their standards.
    jasenj1
  • Reply 12 of 38
    ronnronn Posts: 654member
    williamh said:

How is 36 hours a week the legal limit?  Are the factories in France?

The article mentions the average wages for Shanghai. Are the factories in Shanghai? It might be like comparing average wages for Manhattan to the average wages for some community in West Virginia.

The 36 hours refers to the maximum overtime hours per month. How anyone could work 109 overtime hours in one month is inhuman.

The Pegatron factories are in Shanghai. It's similar to old New York where you had sweatshop workers working in extremely poor working conditions, making a fraction of what other manufacturing workers made. Except that was many years ago.
    edited August 2016
  • Reply 13 of 38
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    raptoroo7 said:
    Apple demands suppliers cut costs so they can maintain their high margins and profits, so in order for the razor thin margins the suppliers were making cut even more and in an effort to many any profits themselves they force impossible overtime demands and cut wages to insure their profits are maintained. Sure every company has a fiduciary responsibility to insure profits to their shareholders, no problem. BUT, when you profits are dropping due to slowing demand caused by longer upgrade windows that is YOUR PROBLEM, not your suppliers problem. Sounds like Apple has yet another winner on its hands, Greed, Abuse and Disregard for safe working conditions as they promised to do. SHOCKER, NOT!
    Such a "winner" that a phone that won't be released for a month is responsible for working conditions from Two. Years. Ago. 

No, not actually. 

Thanks for playing. 

And that iPhone series of two years ago? The iPhone 6 series: a huge hit. So "declining demand" my tushy
    edited August 2016 jony0
  • Reply 14 of 38
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    splif said:
    OMG! I get to live at work and share every minute of my life with co-workers! How Awesome! It's just like being a teenager again! I especially love the prison mattress
    and the luxurious amount of space for me to live! Does it come in get me the fuck out of here? I'm sure they have an open bed if you can hack it.
    A post one would expect of someone who has never been to China.

Reality:  https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rural_society_in_China
    jasenj1radarthekat
  • Reply 15 of 38
    splif said:
    A post one would expect of someone who has never been to China.

Reality:  https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rural_society_in_China
    Part of this issue is people viewing Chinese culture through a Western lens. These jobs may be rough but they beat working in a coal mine, for one, especially a Chinese coal mine.
    SpamSandwichradarthekat
  • Reply 16 of 38
    kamiltonkamilton Posts: 282member
    The high road to lowest production costs are designs that can be manufactured by machines.  This needs to happen, soon.  
    radarthekat
  • Reply 17 of 38
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    How clumsily evil Apple are being in their pre-launch month!  How dare their suppliers not pay factory workers on a par with general wages in one of the most affluent financial cities in Asia!
  • Reply 18 of 38
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    raptoroo7 said:
    So according to you, Apple is greed, abuse and disregard of any of their employees' well being and health?

So according to you, Pegatron can refuse more orders because they are not greedy and prioritize their own employee's well being rather than their own profits?
    edited August 2016 jony0
  • Reply 19 of 38
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,373member
    re: "China Labor Watch claims that Pegatron's working condition is "Apple's responsibility" despite Apple not holding a financial stake in the ownership of the company."

So... if I hire a contractor to put up some sheetrock in my house I'm responsible for policing the contractor and his/her labor relations with his/her employees to ensure nobody is being exploited? 

What Apple does for supplier responsibility goes so far beyond what any other company of its size and scope currently does or has ever done. No, Apple is never above reproach but these organizations are simply taking advantage of Apple's good nature and desire for ethical treatment of all workers as a tool to advance their own political causes. In Apple's defense, they always handle these disparaging attacks with dignity and cooperative dialog, which is infinitely more positive than those people who believe that trying to drag Apple down somehow increases their own moral standing. Sorry, but it doesn't work that way.
    radarthekat
  • Reply 20 of 38
    dewme said:

So... if I hire a contractor to put up some sheetrock in my house I'm responsible for policing the contractor and his/her labor relations with his/her employees to ensure nobody is being exploited? .
    There is a difference between a private person having some one-off work done and the the relationship between the biggest corporation on the planet and the manufacturers that make it's bread and butter product. You can't be expected to check up on every contractor but Apple has the resources/responsibility to monitor work practices in its supply chain. You'd be the first one on here complaining about Samsung employees getting cancer but Apple gets a free pass.

There are similar reports on other companies and some get coverage but Apple gets more for obvious reasons. The same labour watch organisation  found Samsung suppliers were using child workers a few years back so Samsung ditched them. We are all responsible for the products we consume, Apple or Android or the shoes you wear. These NGOs do amazing work to let us know what is happening so companies can take action and consumers can boycott if they don't.  Take off the Apple glasses for a minute and consider how lucky you are to have been born into a situation that means you are buying the phone, not assembling it.
    ronn