With $231B in cash, Apple's $14.5B EU tax hit doesn't concern Wall Street

Comments

• Reply 21 of 66
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    sog35 said:
    cnocbui said:
    If I go into a shop and buy an iPhone, I will pay 23% vat.  Apple is asked to pay 12.5%, but they are the ones being 'robbed'.  Amazing.
    But Apple MAKES ALLOWANCES FOR A 25% tax rate company wide.
    Plus Apple owners pay 20-35% taxes on dividends or stock sales.

Combined Apple shareholders pay 40-50% tax rate.
    And that still isn't enough for you welfare sucking pigs?

• Reply 22 of 66
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    sog35 said:
    cnocbui said:
    If I go into a shop and buy an iPhone, I will pay 23% vat.  Apple is asked to pay 12.5%, but they are the ones being 'robbed'.  Amazing.
    But Apple pays 25% tax rate company wide.

Go somewhere and cool off.

1)  I don't receive welfare, I pay tax.
    2)  Apple does not pay 25% corporate tax in Ireland, or even half that, otherwise we would not be having this conversation.
    3)  Apple shareholders are mostly in the US.  They have free will and would know what the US tax rates are.  Your argument is that I should effectively pay more tax to subsidise US shareholders so they can profit at my expense; sorry - pass.
    singularity
  • Reply 23 of 66
    sog35 said:
    cnocbui said:
    sog35 said:
    cnocbui said:

2)  Apple does not pay 25% corporate tax in Ireland, or even half that, otherwise we would not be having this conversation.
    3)  Apple shareholders are mostly in the US.  They have free will and would know what the US tax rates are.  Your argument is that I should effectively pay more tax to subsidise US shareholders so they can profit at my expense; sorry - pass.
    Ireland is benefiting from Apple's presence. 
    That cannot be denied.
    That is why Ireland is backing Apple in this issue.

So sorry you are wrong. Ireland is benefiting big time.

If Apple leaves Ireland you would be paying EVEN MORE TAXES. So ungrateful. So lucky that the USA saved your ass during WW2.
    Well we don't know how far the Irish will go in disputing this. The Irish Finance Minister plainly stated they don't like it but I don't believe he's received approval from the government yet to legally appeal it. 
  • Reply 24 of 66
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    Gymkhana said:
    Pay your fair share, Apple.  You've benefited from "the commons", in all ways and shapes.  There's no free lunch.  You've used the skies, the shipping lanes, the international and national court systems, multiple nations' militaries, the water, electricity, natural resources.  It's time you paid your fair share for those "freebies", just like the rest of us.  Used to be that corporations carried much of the US tax burden, shielding the people from much of it.  That's flipped around, we all work to support the corporations now.  It's insane.  We only ask what is fair, and what's fair is that you pay the same effective income tax rate of between 20 and 35%, like we all do.  If corporations are people, as ruled by the less-than-Supreme Court, then Apple should not object to paying their fair share, as another law abiding citizen.
    You do realize that this particular ruling has nothing to do with the U.S. right?

Also, Apple has paid for all of those things you've mentioned.  That's the point. They are paying what Ireland said they must pay for taxes. In fact, Ireland is also likely going to contest this with the EU.  If Ireland did something illegal, then they ought to pay the back taxes that they failed to collect.  But what is really happening is the E.U. is trying to play favorites and retroactively charge for taxes.
    pscooter63
  • Reply 25 of 66
    sog35 said:
    cnocbui said:
    sog35 said:
    cnocbui said:

Why don't they go after European companies that are receiving state aid?
    Like Fiat? That's one example. I think there are others if you will look. 
  • Reply 26 of 66
    sog35 said:
    cnocbui said:
    sog35 said:
    cnocbui said:

That cannot be denied.

If Apple leaves Ireland you would be paying EVEN MORE TAXES. So ungrateful. So lucky that the USA saved your ass during WW2.
    Apple is benefiting from being in Ireland more than Ireland is benefiting from them being here, that's how business works.

And since I never said Ireland doesn't derive some benefit from Apple's presence, I am not wrong.

Ireland was neutral in WW2, so the USA saved someone else's ass, but generally, historians credit Russia with most of the credit for defeating Germany.  And, you presumptuous little snot, just for absolute factual accuracy, my father saved my ass through his own actions in WW2 by being a fighter pilot in Britain's Fleet Air Arm where he went on to be both an instructor and a squadron leader.
    edited August 2016 singularity
  • Reply 27 of 66
    sog35 said:
    cnocbui said:
    sog35 said:
    cnocbui said:
    sog35 said:
    cnocbui said:

That cannot be denied.

Apple is benefiting from being in Ireland more than Ireland is benefiting from them being here, that's how business works.

And since I never said Ireland doesn't derive some benefit from Apple's presence, I am not wrong.

Ireland was neutral in WW2, so the USA saved someone else's ass, but generally, historians credit Russia with most of the credit for defeating Germany.  And, you presumptuous little snot, just for absolute factual accuracy, my father saved my ass through his own actions in WW2 by being a fighter pilot in Britain's Fleet Air Arm where he went on to be both an instructor and acting squadron leader.
    So Ireland is benefiting. Apple benefits and Ireland benefits.  And you benefit.  Because if Apple wasn't in Ireland you have to pay more taxes and tens of thousands of jobs would be lost and your economy would suck even more. So be happy Apple is there. It goes both ways.

And the US did save your ass during WW2.  If American did not join the war or joined Germany your ass would be conquered regardless if Ireland was neutral or not. You think your pitiful Fleet could stand up against the Nazi's without our massive naval and air support? Hell no. We saved your ass. Show some respect.

So you really think Nazi Germany would leave you alone if you claimed you were neutral? LOL.

And we are saving your ass right now too.  If the USA withdrew all their troops and military from Europe you guys would be sitting ducks. 

And now you ungrateful welfare pigs want to steal hundreds of billions of our money. HELL NO. Make your own money. Stop being lazy and make your own profit instead of begging for bread crumbs.
    Nurse!
  • Reply 28 of 66
    sog35 said:
    gatorguy said:
    sog35 said:
    cnocbui said:

Apple paid $13.2 billion in income tax for FY2015
    Apple had $53 billion in profit

Apple PAID 25% taxes last year. PAID. PAID. PAID.

http://files.shareholder.com/downloads/AAPL/2743317115x0xS1193125-15-356351/320193/filing.pdf

In 2014 Apple PAID 26% taxes  ( $39 billion profit, $10 billion taxes remitted)
    In 2013 Apple PAID 24% taxes ( $37 billion profit, $9 billion taxes remitted)

I don't think Paid means what you think it does. Without seeing Apple tax return's as submitted to the IRS you cannot know what they factually turned over in cash AFAIK. What you are looking at includes deferred tax obligations based on my admittedly limited accounting knowledge. Some actual certified tax accountant here can probably weigh in. Are you one of those certified accountants with expertise in understanding financial statements? Speak up if you are. 
    edited August 2016
  • Reply 29 of 66
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    Gymkhana said:
    Pay your fair share, Apple.  You've benefited from "the commons", in all ways and shapes.  There's no free lunch.  You've used the skies, the shipping lanes, the international and national court systems, multiple nations' militaries, the water, electricity, natural resources.  It's time you paid your fair share for those "freebies", just like the rest of us.  Used to be that corporations carried much of the US tax burden, shielding the people from much of it.  That's flipped around, we all work to support the corporations now.  It's insane.  We only ask what is fair, and what's fair is that you pay the same effective income tax rate of between 20 and 35%, like we all do.  If corporations are people, as ruled by the less-than-Supreme Court, then Apple should not object to paying their fair share, as another law abiding citizen.
    you're quite confused. this has nothing to do with the US and the taxes Apple pays here. it's already the biggest taxpayer in the US because they do pay their income tax.
    edited August 2016 latifbpCapriguy
  • Reply 30 of 66
    sog35 said:
    gatorguy said:
    sog35 said:
    gatorguy said:
    sog35 said:
    cnocbui said:

http://files.shareholder.com/downloads/AAPL/2743317115x0xS1193125-15-356351/320193/filing.pdf

I don't think Paid means what you think it does. Without seeing Apple tax return's as submitted to the IRS you cannot know what they factually turned over in cash AFAIK. What you are looking at includes deferred tax obligations based on my admittedly limited accounting knowledge. Some actual certified tax accountant here can probably weigh in. Are you one of those certified accountants with expertise in understanding financial statements? Speak up if you are. 
    Read the cash flow statement on the attached link on page 46

It clearly says CASH PAID FOR INCOME TAXES. The cash flow statement is about where cash went in and out.  

I think that may mean cash was internally transferred (on paper) to accounts specifically intended for recognized tax obligations. But I don't know that for a fact. That's why I invited a tax accounting professional, or better yet a corporate tax manager perhaps, to weigh in. Not that it matters since US tax authorities agree that Apple has not paid the appropriate taxes on their worldwide revenues. What do you think the whole "bring the cash home" discussion is about? If Apple had been factually PAYING 25% of their overall worldwide profits to the US Government as corporate taxes I doubt there would even be a conversation about Ireland or a "tax holiday" repatriation. 
    edited August 2016 anantksundaram
  • Reply 31 of 66
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member
    Apple can pay that amount, that's clear to anyone, but moral damage could be far worse.
    If Apple isn't perceived as a morally right company but instead as a money machine only, people could boycot Apple and search for (much cheaper) alternatives.
    Microsoft got hammered by the EU (also a multi billion case) and wasn't the better for it; once convicted always a criminal.

A good example is AH in holland (very big in the US also) they got into 'extorting' the suppliers because they had all the power.
    At some point the public became aware of that and boycotted AH (by not buying); AH reversed its 'policy' almost immediately ...
    edited August 2016
  • Reply 32 of 66
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    sog35 said:
    cnocbui said:

It's so interesting how welfare advocates think big government is just great for welfare and other so-called "entitlements", ignoring the fact that they're also first in line to complain when the massive government they supported suddenly wants to force them to go fight their needless wars.
    latifbpCapriguy
  • Reply 33 of 66
    sog35 said:
    gatorguy said:
    sog35 said:
    gatorguy said:
    sog35 said:
    gatorguy said:
    sog35 said:
    cnocbui said:

It clearly says CASH PAID FOR INCOME TAXES. The cash flow statement is about where cash went in and out.  

I think that may mean cash was internally transferred (on paper) to accounts specifically intended for recognized tax obligations. But I don't know that for a fact. That's why I invited a tax accounting professional, or better yet a corporate tax manager perhaps, to weigh in. Not that it matters since US tax authorities agree that Apple has not paid the appropriate taxes on their worldwide revenues. What do you think the whole "bring the cash home" discussion is about?
    WTF are you talking about. I'm a CPA in the USA and the line I highlighted is the actual CASH paid for taxes.

Apple actually paid $13.2 Billion in taxes in 2015. 

The whole purpose of the report I posted is to see where cash went into and out of the company. That's why its called Statement of CASH FLOWS.

Now if you are not going to believe me than whatever.

US Tax authorites don't agree Apple has paid appropriate taxes because they want Apple to pay US income tax on WORLDWIDE profits.  They want 35% taxed on all profits including in Europe and China, ect. Which is pure stupidity.
    Wait a minute.... You mean Apple didn't state it's total worldwide profits which you used to figure their tax-rate? Then how are you arriving at "Apple paid 25%"? 
  • Reply 34 of 66
    This is really a non-issue for Apple. Foreign taxes paid are a credit against Apple's US tax liability. Assuming that at some point Apple repatriates its cash to the US, as long as the marginal US tax rate at that time is greater than what the EU is claiming this won't have any impact on Apple's overall tax liability. Apple has never been against repatriating the money, they have been against paying a 35% tax rate when their competitors (Samsung et. al.) get to pay a much lower than the rate. At a 20% rate I'm sure Tim Cook would bring a lot of that cash back to the US.

Otoh, whatever is paid to the EU is tax money that the US won't collect. This is more of a grab by the EU on money that would otherwise end up in the US Treasury. You would think that the US would be a lot more energetic in fighting the EU on this.
    latifbpCapriguy
  • Reply 35 of 66
    singularitysingularity Posts: 1,328member
    sog35 said:
    marktime said:
    This is really a non-issue for Apple. Foreign taxes paid are a credit against Apple's US tax liability. Assuming that at some point Apple repatriates its cash to the US, as long as the marginal US tax rate at that time is greater than what the EU is claiming this won't have any impact on Apple's overall tax liability. Apple has never been against repatriating the money, they have been against paying a 35% tax rate when their competitors (Samsung et. al.) get to pay a much lower than the rate. At a 20% rate I'm sure Tim Cook would bring a lot of that cash back to the US.

Otoh, whatever is paid to the EU is tax money that the US won't collect. This is more of a grab by the EU on money that would otherwise end up in the US Treasury. You would think that the US would be a lot more energetic in fighting the EU on this.

Exactly. The only ones getting SCREWED are US Citizens.

The EU is basically stealing $15,000,000,000 from US Citizens.
    According to the EU commission Apple and Ireland have stolen 13billion euros from the Irish people.
    cnocbui
  • Reply 36 of 66
    sog35 said:
    WTF are you talking about. I'm a CPA in the USA and the line I highlighted is the actual CASH paid for taxes.

Apple actually paid $13.2 Billion in taxes in 2015. 

The whole purpose of the report I posted is to see where cash went into and out of the company. That's why its called Statement of CASH FLOWS.

Now if you are not going to believe me than whatever.

US Tax authorites don't agree Apple has paid appropriate taxes because they want Apple to pay US income tax on WORLDWIDE profits.  They want 35% taxed on all profits including in Europe and China, ect. Which is pure stupidity.
    Wait a minute.... You mean Apple didn't state it's total worldwide profits which you used to figure their tax-rate? Then how are you arriving at "Apple paid 25%"? 
    I'm not sure I understand.

Apple's worldwide profit was $53 billion in 2015.
    Apple PAID $13.2 billion in taxes in 2015.
    So Apple PAID 25% of its profits in taxes in 2015

Then Apple did already pay 25% of the profits realized from China,ireland, US etc? Then what is this whole repatriation thing about? I think I'll wait for a corporate tax professional to explain it. You don't sound like one, not saying you aren't of course. :/
  • Reply 37 of 66
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    sog is claiming to be a CPA now? :smiley: 

Don't  believe that for a second, and if by some miracle it is true then his habit of pulling numbers out of his ass and then being unable to add them together in the right way bodes very badly for a venerable profession.
  • Reply 38 of 66
    marktime said:

If the US chooses to view this as the EU grabbing 'their' taxes and takes punative action, it will be the end of globalisation and we will see a return to a world of quotas, high tarrifs, subsidies and trade restrictions.

Apple siphoned AU$23 billion from the Australian economy via it's Irish subsidiary.  Apple only paid the Australian Tax Office 0.07% of that in tax.  Countries simply can not afford to let the US hose their economies like that for long without taking preventative measures.  I am sure the US government is about to embark on a course to try and preserve this state of affairs but they can only fail
  • Reply 39 of 66
    sog35 said:
    gatorguy said:
    sog35 said:
    gatorguy said:
    sog35 said:
    gatorguy said:
    sog35 said:
    cnocbui said:

I think that may mean cash was internally transferred (on paper) to accounts specifically intended for recognized tax obligations. But I don't know that for a fact. That's why I invited a tax accounting professional, or better yet a corporate tax manager perhaps, to weigh in. Not that it matters since US tax authorities agree that Apple has not paid the appropriate taxes on their worldwide revenues. What do you think the whole "bring the cash home" discussion is about?

singularity
  • Reply 40 of 66
    latifbplatifbp Posts: 544member
    knowitall said:
    Apple can pay that amount, that's clear to anyone, but moral damage could be far worse.
    If Apple isn't perceived as a morally right company but instead as a money machine only, people could boycot Apple and search for (much cheaper) alternatives.
    Microsoft got hammered by the EU (also a multi billion case) and wasn't the better for it; once convicted always a criminal.

A good example is AH in holland (very big in the US also) they got into 'extorting' the suppliers because they had all the power.
    At some point the public became aware of that and boycotted AH (by not buying); AH reversed its 'policy' almost immediately ...
    It's the EU who's looking like a greedy money grubbing welfare hog
    Capriguy