Comments

• Reply 61 of 66
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    latifbp said:
    crowley said:
    latifbp said:

We helped you did 
    Is that more of your "casual Englush"?
     We all make mistakes while typing in our flurry to comment. Cocknob was spelling punitive with an a in every post in the past couple of months. Sheesh!
    Everyone get things wrong on occasion. It's nice if they can have a sense of humour about their own mistakes. Sheesh!
  • Reply 62 of 66
    crowley said:
    crowley said:
    sog is claiming to be a CPA now? smiley 

Don't  believe that for a second, and if by some miracle it is true then his habit of pulling numbers out of his ass and then being unable to add them together in the right way bodes very badly for a venerable profession.
    Ah. An ad hominem. The last refuge of a spent argument.

I recall that you've positioned yourself in many a past comment (not in this thread) as someone who knows a bit of finance. In fact, I recall that many of them were spot on (not in this thread, unfortunately). Care to tell us what it incorrect with @sog35's description of the meaning of cash taxes paid (and the resulting tax rate) as derived from a firm's cash flow statement?

I'll wait.
    No idea, I'm no accountant, and I have sog in my ignore list so I'm not privy to the detail of the diatribes, only the little bits (that I mostly gloss over) that I glimpse in other people's quotes.

It's hardly an ad hominem, since I'm not arguing with sog, just dismissing the appeal to sog's own authority since there has been an evident disposition to be fast and loose with numbers in the past.  That applies whether or not sog is actually a CPA, though I doubt it to be true. S/he's got very little credibility after reneging on self-ban promises, making up number, and flip flopping all over the place.
    Clearly the, you're no accountant, and you surely did not look up 'ad hominem' either.
    Capriguy
  • Reply 63 of 66
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    crowley said:
    crowley said:
    sog is claiming to be a CPA now? smiley 

Don't  believe that for a second, and if by some miracle it is true then his habit of pulling numbers out of his ass and then being unable to add them together in the right way bodes very badly for a venerable profession.
    Ah. An ad hominem. The last refuge of a spent argument.

I recall that you've positioned yourself in many a past comment (not in this thread) as someone who knows a bit of finance. In fact, I recall that many of them were spot on (not in this thread, unfortunately). Care to tell us what it incorrect with @sog35's description of the meaning of cash taxes paid (and the resulting tax rate) as derived from a firm's cash flow statement?

I'll wait.
    No idea, I'm no accountant, and I have sog in my ignore list so I'm not privy to the detail of the diatribes, only the little bits (that I mostly gloss over) that I glimpse in other people's quotes.

It's hardly an ad hominem, since I'm not arguing with sog, just dismissing the appeal to sog's own authority since there has been an evident disposition to be fast and loose with numbers in the past.  That applies whether or not sog is actually a CPA, though I doubt it to be true. S/he's got very little credibility after reneging on self-ban promises, making up number, and flip flopping all over the place.
    Clearly the, you're no accountant, and you surely did not look up 'ad hominem' either.
    Based on how members here talk to each other a lot of us don't recognize an "ad hominem" when we write it. Even many that do wouldn't care anyway. 
    edited August 2016
  • Reply 64 of 66
    latifbplatifbp Posts: 544member
    crowley said:
    latifbp said:
    crowley said:
    latifbp said:

We helped you did 
    Is that more of your "casual Englush"?
     We all make mistakes while typing in our flurry to comment. Cocknob was spelling punitive with an a in every post in the past couple of months. Sheesh!
    Everyone get things wrong on occasion. It's nice if they can have a sense of humour about their own mistakes. Sheesh!
    I thought I was being facetious. I actually am starting to like you guys and our respective roles in these debates. I actually smile at our posts and I like how we give each other shit! I actually don't care about misspellings. I thought it would reach a level of absurdity to go after cocnobi about a single letter that way. Just taking the pies out of you in the midst of our intense debates otherwise. 
  • Reply 65 of 66
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Clearly the, you're no accountant
    Yep, that's what I said.  Why are you parrotting me?

anantksundaram said:

and you surely did not look up 'ad hominem' either.
    I tend not to look up things I already understand.  You said I used an ad hominem as a "last refuge", but since I haven't engaged in even a single word of argument with sog, that doesn't make any sense.  I didn't attack sog's argument at all, I don't even know what the argument was and maybe it's perfectly sound, I don't particularly care; I just think sog is a twit, and the claim to be a CPA should be regarded with extreme prejudice due to the history of dishonesty and flailing, desperate argumentiveness.
    singularity