Latest alleged 'iPhone 7 Plus' packaging pic suggests option of bundled wireless 'AirPods'...

Comments

• Reply 21 of 44
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    jensonb said:
    Who gets access to a package containing an eagerly anticipated new product, and decides to photograph...Only the sticker detailing the contents, or the logo on the side of the box?

I'm not saying these leaks are definitely fake...But it's a bit weird.
    Well, if the picture isn't a fake, then that's all they could do because they didn't want to, or couldn't, break the shrink wrapping as it would give them away.
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 22 of 44
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    dacloo said:
    ...And most likely an awesome dongle that I need to pack to connect my preferred headphones. 
    Why not just keep the adaptor connected to your preferred headphones? It Apple does indeed get rid of their wired EarPods with 3.5mm stereo plugs, then I'm pretty confident they'll have new ones with lightning connectors instead, to say nothing about the potential for a wireless variety. Then, if an adaptor is included, you'll be able to keep the adaptor connected to your preferred set. 
  • Reply 23 of 44
    dacloo said:
    Yes! A phone I can't charge while listening to music, OR a phone with headphones I easily lose and need to recharge! 
    And most likely an awesome dongle that I need to pack to connect my preferred headphones. 
    You sound fun. And especially difficult to please.
    fastasleep
  • Reply 24 of 44
    If the 4.7" phone gets OIS this year then I think it's safe to say space constraints aren't the reason the Plus gets better hardware first.
    it's not safe to say that at all, unless you're an electrical engineer working within the Apple stack, which i doubt you are. Apple and its suppliers are great at miniaturization and it wouldn't surprise me at all if they've learned to make them small enough to fit into the smaller case. 

but I know, you love to pitch the sinister moustache-twirling narrative. 
    Oh come on. There is ZERO reason to create a product called iPhone "Plus" if the only difference is it has a bigger battery because the screen size is bigger. I think it's pretty obvious that stuff will come to the Plus first and then trickle down to the non-Plus model. People that don't prefer a big ass phablet will be a year behind on the best technology. And Apple's hope is people will bite the bullet and buy the bigger size even if they don't really want that size. Just like storage options. Upsell people to 64GB which increases ASPs and once they're there be quite confident that they'll never downgrade again.
    Deelrondamonfanantksundaram
  • Reply 25 of 44
    ...perhaps this is why Tim sold some stock...? :)
  • Reply 26 of 44
    The other leaked spec sheet was typeset in San Francisco and left aligned, this one is in Myriad and centred so I presume at least one of them is fake?
    edited September 2016 Deelron
  • Reply 27 of 44
    The better include some wireless ones. I don't want to chose between charging and listening to music because a dongle occupies the lightning port. Dropping the 3.5mm jack is one of the most stupid ideas Apple has come up with in a long time and will probably the reason I will not upgrade.
    damonf
  • Reply 28 of 44
    The other leaked spec sheet was typeset in San Francisco and left aligned, this one is in Myriad and centred so I presume at least one of them is fake?
    We looked into this and while all iPhone box spec sheets we could find are left justified, and did not state the name of the product up top, we did have one iPad mini 2 box where the text was centered and the name of the product was written in large letters up top (like the pic in this story). The Apple Watch box text is also centered. What does that mean? Not much, really. Except for the (surprising) fact that Apple apparently does not actually have consistency among its boxes.

gingerbreadfeelinganantksundaram
  • Reply 29 of 44
    damonfdamonf Posts: 229member
    TurboPGT said:
    dacloo said:
    Yes! A phone I can't charge while listening to music
    To this point, that keeps being brought up by the trollest of trolls, I have to ask: What the hell is wrong with your phones that it needs to be charged while listening to music?

I don't want to charge my phone while listening to music. Apple managed to solve this like 10 years ago when Music Playback battery life soared past 24 hours.
    You're on to something. You see, there's an inherit design flaw with iPhones: the design itself. Every year iOS gets more power efficient, smarter, the A-series chips get better, etc.  But then when the next body redesign comes around, wouldn't you know but the damned things are thinner.  Again.  And because they are thinner, they still have that same "10 hours" of web surfing life that goes way back to the first generations of iPhone.  A "10 hours" that gets shorter and shorter over the life of one's phone because, you know, batteries give out over time. Even Apple batteries. So, that "10 hours" can end up being "1 hour" at nearly 2 years because someone really loves their iPhone and uses the hell out of it, not just for 24 hours of music playback.  I know this because I have AppleCare and had to get my iPhone 6 swapped out at 20 months because the battery would no longer hold its charge. Because I for one use the hell out of mine. 
  • Reply 30 of 44
    TOTAL newbie here with a few bits...

1) The Hungarian translation of "Airpods wireless headphones" is solid. "Airpods vezeték nélküli fülhallgató."  At the end of the day it doesn't mean squat I suppose.

2) It seems as though everyone stopped reading at "Airpods Wireless Earphones."  They've ALSO included "Lightening to USB Cable, and USB Power Adap......"  This doesn't seem in line with a lightening adapter.  Actually, what the hell is a lightening to USB cable for? (For charging air pods from the phone?)

Thoughts?

JurdTheTurd
  • Reply 31 of 44
    I hope the new wireless buds don't look like that.  The original EarPods don't stay in my ear...I must have funny ears. Hopefully they make an accessory that goes back behind the ear to secure them better for working out and stuff.
    anantksundaram
  • Reply 32 of 44
  • Reply 33 of 44
    rob55 said:
    jensonb said:
    Who gets access to a package containing an eagerly anticipated new product, and decides to photograph...Only the sticker detailing the contents, or the logo on the side of the box?

I'm not saying these leaks are definitely fake...But it's a bit weird.
    Well, if the picture isn't a fake, then that's all they could do because they didn't want to, or couldn't, break the shrink wrapping as it would give them away.
    They wouldn't need to break the shrinkwrap to photograph other parts of the box.
  • Reply 34 of 44
    Not really sure why there is so much disdain towards people wanting to charge their phone while listening to podcasts/music. I regularly drive 8-12 hour stretches abroad so listening to podcasts while driving is commonplace for me. With the phone on rather than on Airplane mode it would simply not last that longwithout the ability to charge it. 

Itll be be another dongle for people to buy that's all, but everyone had to do it when the old connectors transitioned to lightning connectors. It's to be expected where fundamental connectivity changes occur but people shouldn't be slated for having a gripe about having to shell out another £20-30 for yet another adapter. 
  • Reply 35 of 44
    Very interesting. If both packages are real, iPhone 7 with lighting EarPods and iPhone 7 Plus with AirPods.
  • Reply 36 of 44
    2) It seems as though everyone stopped reading at "Airpods Wireless Earphones."  They've ALSO included "Lightening to USB Cable, and USB Power Adap......"  This doesn't seem in line with a lightening adapter.  Actually, what the hell is a lightening to USB cable for? (For charging air pods from the phone?)
    What are you talking about? Every iPhone comes with a Lightning to USB cable and USB Power Adapter. They're for ... charging your iPhone.
    jensonb
  • Reply 37 of 44
    Does it come with a Find My Airpods app?
    cnocbui
  • Reply 38 of 44
    hammerd2 said:
    Not really sure why there is so much disdain towards people wanting to charge their phone while listening to podcasts/music. I regularly drive 8-12 hour stretches abroad so listening to podcasts while driving is commonplace for me. With the phone on rather than on Airplane mode it would simply not last that longwithout the ability to charge it. 

Itll be be another dongle for people to buy that's all, but everyone had to do it when the old connectors transitioned to lightning connectors. It's to be expected where fundamental connectivity changes occur but people shouldn't be slated for having a gripe about having to shell out another £20-30 for yet another adapter. 
    Your car doesn't have Bluetooth!? Seriously?
  • Reply 39 of 44
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    If the 4.7" phone gets OIS this year then I think it's safe to say space constraints aren't the reason the Plus gets better hardware first.
    it's not safe to say that at all, unless you're an electrical engineer working within the Apple stack, which i doubt you are. Apple and its suppliers are great at miniaturization and it wouldn't surprise me at all if they've learned to make them small enough to fit into the smaller case. 

but I know, you love to pitch the sinister moustache-twirling narrative. 
    Oh come on. There is ZERO reason to create a product called iPhone "Plus" if the only difference is it has a bigger battery because the screen size is bigger. I think it's pretty obvious that stuff will come to the Plus first and then trickle down to the non-Plus model. People that don't prefer a big ass phablet will be a year behind on the best technology. And Apple's hope is people will bite the bullet and buy the bigger size even if they don't really want that size. Just like storage options. Upsell people to 64GB which increases ASPs and once they're there be quite confident that they'll never downgrade again.

I thought the reason we had the Plus line was for all those people who wanted a 5.5 inch phone. In other words, a bigger screen. The larger battery and OIS were side benefits, the main selling point was the larger screen. (Actually, the larger battery is partly offset by the need to drive more pixels, but any extra is a bonus) For people who wanted something bigger than the 4.7" phone.

Now, maybe they can get the OIS unit into the smaller phone now. (Maybe if they removed one of the larger internal components, and rearranged a few things, or maybe they can just get smaller components.) Maybe there will be no features other than size distinguishing the smaller iPhone 7 and the larger one. You know, like with the MacBook Air 11 inch and 13 inch. Now we just need some shorthand way to differentiate them in marketing. Something catchy that doesn't sound too technical...

• Reply 40 of 44
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    hammerd2 said:

Your car doesn't have Bluetooth!? Seriously?

It's probably not even a European import...

Really? We have to shame people for driving cars that don't have Bluetooth audio streaming now? My current car is the first one I've had with an AUX port. Some of us can't afford a new car every few years. Cars are at least an order of magnitude more expensive than computers and phones, so we buy them less frequently, which means a lot of people don't have the latest technology in their cars to take advantage of the technology in their phone.

Wondering about whether you can charge your phone while listening to music isn't stupid. Wondering whether Apple will or will not kill the headphone jack isn't stupid. Speculating on issues around Apple doing so isn't stupid. Deciding anything about the new iPhone based on a couple of dodgy photos of possibly fake cables or a packing list on an alleged box is stupid. All we have up until Wednesday is speculation, we don't have any facts. Anyone who claims otherwise needs to provide some actual proof, or shut up until the announcement.