Latest alleged 'iPhone 7 Plus' packaging pic suggests option of bundled wireless 'AirPods'...

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 44
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    anome said:
    If the 4.7" phone gets OIS this year then I think it's safe to say space constraints aren't the reason the Plus gets better hardware first.
    it's not safe to say that at all, unless you're an electrical engineer working within the Apple stack, which i doubt you are. Apple and its suppliers are great at miniaturization and it wouldn't surprise me at all if they've learned to make them small enough to fit into the smaller case. 

but I know, you love to pitch the sinister moustache-twirling narrative. 
    Oh come on. There is ZERO reason to create a product called iPhone "Plus" if the only difference is it has a bigger battery because the screen size is bigger. I think it's pretty obvious that stuff will come to the Plus first and then trickle down to the non-Plus model. People that don't prefer a big ass phablet will be a year behind on the best technology. And Apple's hope is people will bite the bullet and buy the bigger size even if they don't really want that size. Just like storage options. Upsell people to 64GB which increases ASPs and once they're there be quite confident that they'll never downgrade again.

I thought the reason we had the Plus line was for all those people who wanted a 5.5 inch phone. In other words, a bigger screen. The larger battery and OIS were side benefits, the main selling point was the larger screen. (Actually, the larger battery is partly offset by the need to drive more pixels, but any extra is a bonus) For people who wanted something bigger than the 4.7" phone.

Now, maybe they can get the OIS unit into the smaller phone now. (Maybe if they removed one of the larger internal components, and rearranged a few things, or maybe they can just get smaller components.) Maybe there will be no features other than size distinguishing the smaller iPhone 7 and the larger one. You know, like with the MacBook Air 11 inch and 13 inch. Now we just need some shorthand way to differentiate them in marketing. Something catchy that doesn't sound too technical...

Apple had to remove battery size to fit touch ID the last time and people wonder why OIS was not in the 6s... 
  • Reply 42 of 44
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,822member
    mac_128 said:
    I don't see Apple having some with and some without if this is true.
    Why not? Look at all the SKUs Apple currently manages, between the iPads in 4 colors, with and without LTE, and the watches in particular with 8 different colors, numerous bands, and 2 sizes ... And then perhaps the most direct comparison, iMacs with wireless keyboard and mouse or wired.

Apple can certainly manage adding AirPods vs. EarPods. Not everyone is going to want AirPods, which are surely going to increase the price of the phone substantially. So if Apple really puts any AirPods in the box, they will absolutely offer a cheaper alternative.

So yes, this is totally plausible.
     I wasn't meaning there may not be options between air and non air buds rather I suspect that the hardware to allow airbuds would be in all new models not just some, assuming any of it is true
  • Reply 43 of 44
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    mac_128 said:
    Why not? Look at all the SKUs Apple currently manages, between the iPads in 4 colors, with and without LTE, and the watches in particular with 8 different colors, numerous bands, and 2 sizes ... And then perhaps the most direct comparison, iMacs with wireless keyboard and mouse or wired.

Apple can certainly manage adding AirPods vs. EarPods. Not everyone is going to want AirPods, which are surely going to increase the price of the phone substantially. So if Apple really puts any AirPods in the box, they will absolutely offer a cheaper alternative.

So yes, this is totally plausible.
     I wasn't meaning there may not be options between air and non air buds rather I suspect that the hardware to allow airbuds would be in all new models not just some, assuming any of it is true
    Absolutely. The new technology that drives the higher quality aspects of the new AirBuds will go into every new Apple product. That's why I expect to see some new Macs introduced during this keynote, to cement that reality, along with the inclusion of the Lightning port. I also expect them to replace the rMB headphone jack with Lightning, but I don't think they will announce the "removal" of anything, only what they're adding, and the rMB might cause an uproar during an otherwise well orchestrated event. 

But I also expect whatever new tech audio tech Apple introduces, that the wireless tech will be backward compatible with at least BT 4 devices, just the way wifi is.
  • Reply 44 of 44
    TurboPGT said:
    dacloo said:
    Yes! A phone I can't charge while listening to music
    To this point, that keeps being brought up by the trollest of trolls, I have to ask: What the hell is wrong with your phones that it needs to be charged while listening to music?

I don't want to charge my phone while listening to music. Apple managed to solve this like 10 years ago when Music Playback battery life soared past 24 hours.
    Just because you don't want to do it doesn't mean it isn't valid. A lot of people listen to music or watch video while charging their device. Apple Music is a drain on my battery. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect to not lose functionality when upgrading a device. 
    That is not functionality. That is a problem that need solving, if it is even a legitimate concern. You should be able to use your device without charging it at the same time