Apple's 'iPhone 7' to boast True Tone display, upgraded camera flash, capacities of 32-256...

Comments

• Reply 21 of 81
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member

jeffj2h said:
    For the last few years Apple has been leaking to Bloomberg, WSJ, Kuo, etc a week or so before major events, so they can reduce expectations.  They did it a week ago with a story there will be no new Mac's announced next week.  Now this iPhone story.  For me, I don't see anything worth upgrading from my iPhone 6S.  Now if the haptic home button allowed them to have a zero-bezel design (edge to edge screen), that would be supercool and I'd upgrade.

People shouldn't feel the need to upgrade every year anyways, that could be a sign of a poorly implemented product.    One can make the rational argument that the first couple of iPhones where ahead of their time thus allowing for rapid upgrades as tech caught up.   Now we can see iPhones as more mature products that don't need yearly upgrades.  This is good for consumers and the environment but maybe not too good for Apple.  

Personally I'm looking forward to 3-5 years out of my next iPhone.    Maybe longer.    
    jahblade
  • Reply 22 of 81
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    jeffj2h said:
    For the last few years Apple has been leaking to Bloomberg, WSJ, Kuo, etc a week or so before major events, so they can reduce expectations.  They did it a week ago with a story there will be no new Mac's announced next week.  Now this iPhone story.  For me, I don't see anything worth upgrading from my iPhone 6S.  Now if the haptic home button allowed them to have a zero-bezel design (edge to edge screen), that would be supercool and I'd upgrade.

That's just an assumption. You don't know that. Apple gives a number of people devices a week or two before release so that a quick review can come out right after the embargo is over. That's pretty standard with manufacturers. But it's not likely that guys like Kuo get one.
    jahblade
  • Reply 23 of 81
    Research note a copy of which was obtained by AppleInsider.
  • Reply 24 of 81
    noicc1138 said:
    Tom M. said:
    And, for balance, let me add that I'm not at all a fan of the headphone port going away. I like to listen to music AND charge my phone while at work, and I don't care to mess with wireless headphones. Maybe I'll be convinced that they are worth the trouble, especially if they can be recharged by plugging them into the Lightning port, as newer Apple gear (Pencil, Mouse 2, Siri remote for Apple TV, etc.) does...
    Wireless headphones are becoming the standard and will be soon.   It will be a lot like the argument of the BlackBerry users had for keyboards.
    The iPhone, iPad, and MacBooks lack RJ-45 Ethernet jacks. Maybe he will be convinced that setting up WiFi "is worth the trouble."
    fastasleepnolamacguy
  • Reply 25 of 81
    levilevi Posts: 344member
    jeffj2h said:

Nice theory. It couldn't possibly be the fact that 15-20 million phones are in waiting in China, made from parts from several hundred suppliers, produced weeks/months advance, by tens of thousands of hands in the supply chain. It's got to be Apple because the actual device (nearly 1 billion sold) is obviously an embarrassment. This is also Apple's perspective every year.
    edited September 2016 tmayfastasleepnolamacguydoozydozen
  • Reply 26 of 81
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    bubbaone said:
    I want a bigger battery for longer battery life.  I spend a lot of time outdoors away from electricity.  I sometimes listen to music on my phone for several hours per day which means bluetooth airbud type headphones would need to be charged nightly.  Hey, I don't mind charging my phone nightly.  But last thing I want to do is to have to charge my watch or headphones nightly as well.  And since I spend so much time outdoors, having to keep track of a lighting to ear phone adapter just doesn't work for me.  And I seriously doubt there will be any $20 or $25 lightening cable ear buds available for Iphone 7s.
    You're never going to get a battery in any phone that will last the amount of time you're describing. You're best bet in that scenario is an external battery pack. I have a solar rechargeable one as I spend a lot of time outdoors. So increasing the size of the iPhone for that specific use case for everyone is not really practical, nor would it ultimately solve your problem. 

As for charging your headphones, while I understand your reluctance to add one more thing to your nightly charging routine, well all I can say in defense of this is that wireless is a compromise. Personally, I will take adding headphones to my nightly charging routine, over the constant plugging and unplugging of headphones all day, not to mention the constant wrapping and untangling of wires all day long. There's a reason why companies can actually sell something like this, and I'm all for eliminating that reason:

Again, I understand the concern of keeping track of an adapter. But that's not really a concern if you use one set of earphones and leave the adapter always connected to them. You'll likely never even realize it's there. I went through this in the 80s when I needed a 3.5mm to 1/4" adapter for my walkman headphones to use them on my home stereo. It wasn't until I bought a nicer pair of headphones with a 1/4" that I could just leave the adapter attached to the headphones and remove it when necessary. A little rubber keeper allowed me to unplug the adapter and keep it attached without my having to keep track of it. Alternatively, with Lightning good quality headphones, hybrid cables should be available with different plugs built-in, making it even easier, and ergonomic. None of this is going to be a problem.

Tom M. said:
    And, for balance, let me add that I'm not at all a fan of the headphone port going away. I like to listen to music AND charge my phone while at work, and I don't care to mess with wireless headphones. Maybe I'll be convinced that they are worth the trouble, especially if they can be recharged by plugging them into the Lightning port, as newer Apple gear (Pencil, Mouse 2, Siri remote for Apple TV, etc.) does...
    Why do people continue to assume Apple hasn't once thought about how to solve the problem of charging iPhones at the same time customers use their headphones, especially since that's been mentioned in every other post in every Apple forum since these rumors started well over a year ago?

Apple has many options available to them to solve this particular problem, but the simplest way to do it is to include a simple pass-through port on the included Lightning charging cable in the box. Apple has been including Lightning passthrough ports on their dongles since Lightning debuted, so this isn't even wild speculation. In fact, you don't have to look much further than the new Apple external battery pack for the 6s to see the exact port incorporated as an in-line passthrough port. 

Deelronfastasleepnolamacguydoozydozenargonaut
  • Reply 27 of 81
    "New colors are expected to ditch space gray and add dark black and "piano black" options. The glossy black shade could be limited in availability, so Apple is expected to focus on large-storage models for that shade.

Woweeeeeeeeeeee!  This going sell like crazy!  Pre-order both black colors in 256GB. Yes! Aplle just need to have surprise, new 1080p screen for iPhone 7!
  • Reply 28 of 81
    wizard69 said:
    Indymo33 said:
    I'm still not sure how I feel about no headphone jack.  I am very excited about the camera though. I have always been jealous of the android cameras or the cameras of the Microsoft phone that was made by Nokia. 

We will see. I use Bluetooth headphones 90% of the time anyway. Less wires in my car,  when I'm walking around to snag on things, and generally in life. I have enough wires anyway!

I'm not overly excited about this version, though it is my time to upgrade and I probably will get it. I am a little bit intrigued with the note seven, however, every time I've gone to android I've been frustrated even though I really really really really wanted it to work.

It's a bold New World, and changes are coming on almost every level. Including our cell phones!
    Is there a cell phone the size of IPhone that has materially better camera than iPhone?   If there is I don't know about it, generally the beer cameras are in bulkier devices which sort of undermines the whole idea of a device that is on your person all day long.  Sounds like you have a severe case of penis envy here.  

Im still on an iPhone 4, I try not to get excited about products rather buy new as needed.  As for Android I want nothing to do with that platform as I prefer to work with ethical businesses.  Sadly there are few other choices to be made when it comes to cell phones.   Given that my next cell phone will likely be an iPhone, maybe even the coming release.  

As as for a bold new world maybe, but the changes aren't that massive at the moment.    True change will come when your cellphone can also be your desktop simply by plugging into a monitor.  I believe that day is coming I'm just not sure Apple can do it right.   
    The Galaxy Note 7 and the Nexus 6p have better cameras than the iPhone 6s Plus. Even the Galaxy S6 Edge Plus has a slightly better camera, especially in low light. I am hoping the iPhone 7 can surpass or match the completion as it will be my next phone. 
    1983doozydozen
  • Reply 29 of 81
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,329member
    bubbaone said:
    Then you're not the market. Why would you want a thicker battery? What purpose does that serve? By eliminating the century old headphone jack, they've already increased the battery capacity without making the phone thicker. 
    I want a bigger battery for longer battery life.  I spend a lot of time outdoors away from electricity.  I sometimes listen to music on my phone for several hours per day which means bluetooth airbud type headphones would need to be charged nightly.  Hey, I don't mind charging my phone nightly.  But last thing I want to do is to have to charge my watch or headphones nightly as well.  And since I spend so much time outdoors, having to keep track of a lighting to ear phone adapter just doesn't work for me.  And I seriously doubt there will be any $20 or $25 lightening cable ear buds available for Iphone 7s.

So, give me an Android phone, with a bigger battery, and a headphone jack, and a Micro SD card for several hundred dollars less any day.  Such as the new Moto Z ($408) or the soon to be announced Google 5" phone similarly priced.

I don't understand why Iphone folks have to hate on Android folks nor why Android folks have to hate on Iphone folks.  Both folks use the same apps and for the most part they function the same!!!!  There is room for both.  And I can appreciate both.  I concur that IOS is a smoother operating environment.  But I am fairly tech savvy, and I can deal with the quirks of Android for the $$$ differential.  As could most of the followers of Apple blogs!!!!
    Why come here at all then if you are so satisfied with the Android competition? Just to be a dick?

I'm fairly tech savvy, and when I considered the cost of an iPhone 7 Plus 256 with Applecare over 2 years it costs me about $1165 out the door or $1.60 a day.  Throw in my cell plan at 1.66 a day and the total is $3.26/day. Now, I'll guesstimate that the iPhone 7 Plus is worth at least $350 dollars in two years so that knocks off about $0.50 per day.

So I'm looking at about $2.76 per day for unlimited use for two years of what will be the class leading device for this year.

That analysis makes you look like a cheap bastard that has nothing better to do than be a dick.

And for the record, the Android ecosystem is not the same as the iOS ecosystem, but you already know that.

edited September 2016 bigbillygoatgruffequality72521Deelronfastasleepcintosbrucemcdoozydozenargonaut
  • Reply 30 of 81
    wizard69 said:
    Indymo33 said:
    I'm still not sure how I feel about no headphone jack.  I am very excited about the camera though. I have always been jealous of the android cameras or the cameras of the Microsoft phone that was made by Nokia. 

We will see. I use Bluetooth headphones 90% of the time anyway. Less wires in my car,  when I'm walking around to snag on things, and generally in life. I have enough wires anyway!

I'm not overly excited about this version, though it is my time to upgrade and I probably will get it. I am a little bit intrigued with the note seven, however, every time I've gone to android I've been frustrated even though I really really really really wanted it to work.

It's a bold New World, and changes are coming on almost every level. Including our cell phones!
    Is there a cell phone the size of IPhone that has materially better camera than iPhone?   If there is I don't know about it, generally the beer cameras are in bulkier devices which sort of undermines the whole idea of a device that is on your person all day long.  Sounds like you have a severe case of penis envy here.  

Im still on an iPhone 4, I try not to get excited about products rather buy new as needed.  As for Android I want nothing to do with that platform as I prefer to work with ethical businesses.  Sadly there are few other choices to be made when it comes to cell phones.   Given that my next cell phone will likely be an iPhone, maybe even the coming release.  

As as for a bold new world maybe, but the changes aren't that massive at the moment.    True change will come when your cellphone can also be your desktop simply by plugging into a monitor.  I believe that day is coming I'm just not sure Apple can do it right.   
    The Galaxy Note 7 and the Nexus 6p have better cameras than the iPhone 6s Plus. Even the Galaxy S6 Edge Plus has a slightly better camera, especially in low light. I am hoping the iPhone 7 can surpass or match the completion as it will be my next phone. 
    Spec wise the camera may have higher numbers, but Google's image processing algorithms are crap, which is why the iPhone is still so competitive. 
    fastasleepdoozydozenargonaut
  • Reply 31 of 81
    I see AI has the Breaking tag back. I'm sorry orry but research notes full of guesses are not breaking news. Quit tagging them as such.
    tycho24doozydozen
  • Reply 32 of 81
    tmay said:
    Why come here at all then if you are so satisfied with the Android competition? Just to be a dick?

I'm fairly tech savvy, and when I considered the cost of an iPhone 7 Plus 256 with Applecare over 2 years it costs me about $1165 out the door or $1.60 a day.  Throw in my cell plan at 1.66 a day and the total is $3.26/day. Now, I'll guesstimate that the iPhone 7 Plus is worth at least $350 dollars in two years so that knocks off about $0.50 per day.

So I'm looking at about $2.76 per day for unlimited use for two years of what will be the class leading device for this year.

That analysis makes you look like a cheap bastard that has nothing better to do than be a dick.

And for the record, the Android ecosystem is not the same as the iOS ecosystem, but you already know that.

Well said on all points.  Resale value negates so much of the high price arguments.  That guy is a troll, though.  I wish him all the happiness in the world with his thicker battery android phone with a headphone jack and whatever other features characteristics he likes so much.

I don't know exactly why, but I was hoping for an updated form factor.  I like the current form factor, and I don't think it really needs an update   After two years, it's still the most elegant phone available.  I am least fond of the camera bulge, though.  I would accept thicker overall so it could sit flat on a table without a case.  I like the apple cases, but I like a naked phone better.  Right now, I'm thinking 7 plus, piano black, 128 or 256 gb. 
    Deelron
  • Reply 33 of 81
    wizard69 said:
    Indymo33 said:

I'm seeing a bunch of Apple techies/pundits on Twitter going nuts over the camera rumor. Sure if true I'm sure it will be a great camera. But other phones already have this so its not like Apple is bringing something to the market no one else has.

It's so funny pretty much all year these same people have been complaining about how meh the iPhone is going to be this year and if it looks the same people won't upgrade because no one will know they have the latest and greatest blah blah blah. Then this research note comes out a couple days before Apple's event and these same people are all omg this is going to be an amazing upgrade. But there's nothing in this research note that hadn't been rumored already.
  • Reply 34 of 81
    "New colors are expected to ditch space gray and add dark black and "piano black" options. The glossy black shade could be limited in availability, so Apple is expected to focus on large-storage models for that shade.

Woweeeeeeeeeeee!  This going sell like crazy!  Pre-order both black colors in 256GB. Yes! Aplle just need to have surprise, new 1080p screen for iPhone 7!
    I have a feeling prices are going up. My guess is Apple will start at 32GB but then jump to 128GB and the price difference between the storage sizes will be $150 instead of $100. And maybe even slightly more for the Plus model with the dual camera. If Apple can get 64GB owners to spend $50 more for 128GB (because 32GB is not enough) they'll do it in a heartbeat. Apple knows once people move up in storage they probably won't downgrade. Anything to raise those ASPs. And with these new storage options I'm predicting no change to iCloud outside of the new tier they added.
    edited September 2016 tycho24baconstang
  • Reply 35 of 81
    tmay said:
    bubbaone said:

So, give me an Android phone, with a bigger battery, and a headphone jack, and a Micro SD card for several hundred dollars less any day.  Such as the new Moto Z ($408) or the soon to be announced Google 5" phone similarly priced.

I don't understand why Iphone folks have to hate on Android folks nor why Android folks have to hate on Iphone folks.  Both folks use the same apps and for the most part they function the same!!!!  There is room for both.  And I can appreciate both.  I concur that IOS is a smoother operating environment.  But I am fairly tech savvy, and I can deal with the quirks of Android for the $$$ differential.  As could most of the followers of Apple blogs!!!!

Nearly 1/2 of the world’s population — more than 3 billion people — live on less than $2.50 a day. More than 1.3 billion live in extreme poverty — less than $1.25 a day

ions Development Programme. "Sustaining Human Progress: Reducing Vulnerabilities and Building Resilience." Human Development Report, 2014. Web Accessed February 25, 2015.

Total Apple fan, just wanted to put $2.76 into perspective. 
    baconstangsilversquonkargonaut
  • Reply 36 of 81
    tmay said:
    bubbaone said:

Nearly 1/2 of the world’s population — more than 3 billion people — live on less than $2.50 a day. More than 1.3 billion live in extreme poverty — less than $1.25 a day

ions Development Programme. "Sustaining Human Progress: Reducing Vulnerabilities and Building Resilience." Human Development Report, 2014. Web Accessed February 25, 2015.

Total Apple fan, just wanted to put $2.76 into perspective. 
    Honestly, no offense intended, but did you wander in here by mistake?
  • Reply 37 of 81
    wizard69 said:
    Indymo33 said:

$199 Moto G4 Plus has same DxO Score as iPhone 6S Plus, Yes that is 6S Plus, and there are many more like that.
    dxomark.com/Mobiles/Motorola-Moto-G-Plus-Mobile-review-a-very-capable-camera
    You just have to look around rather then staying stuck in small iWorld.
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 38 of 81
    tmay said:

Well said on all points.  Resale value negates so much of the high price arguments.  That guy is a troll, though.  I wish him all the happiness in the world with his thicker battery android phone with a headphone jack and whatever other features characteristics he likes so much.

I don't know exactly why, but I was hoping for an updated form factor.  I like the current form factor, and I don't think it really needs an update   After two years, it's still the most elegant phone available.  I am least fond of the camera bulge, though.  I would accept thicker overall so it could sit flat on a table without a case.  I like the apple cases, but I like a naked phone better.  Right now, I'm thinking 7 plus, piano black, 128 or 256 gb. 
    Apple is resistant to, say the least, on re-engineering a form factor for the sake of "change" when they have a roadmap that will require that change coming up the next year anyway. Most of the time, the delay is a technology or manufacturing/production rate issue. This is exactly what Apple is going through with the Mac; the roadmap that they had in place was delayed by Intel delaying releases, and modifying the roadmap backwards would require a substantial interim engineering effort. True, you lose some sales, and even potentially some customers, but the cost/resource savings are substantial. 

From Apple's standpoint, it makes a great deal of sense to have passed on Sky Lake for Kaby Lake, for the most part, which pays off for most buyers. Both Apple and the buyer get the major technologies that are required for the next five years of Mac OS support, i.e., TB 3 and USB Type C 3.1 10 Gb. The only thing missing is 5K and HDR support, and for that, look to see a custom Apple GPU/screen solution via TB 3.

In truth though, Apple likely had Cannonlake penciled in for the current Mac refreshes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tick-Tock_model

Tick-Tock is dead; now it's  "process-architecture-optimization", and Kaby Lake is the optimization.
  • Reply 39 of 81

wizard69 said:
    Indymo33 said:

Apple passed up trying to keep up with the single module, high resolution solutions for a two module solution. I'd argue today that it will exceed all other smartphone solutions (possibly excepting the few 1 inch imagers) for both performance, and IQ, in both video and still modes, and with capabilities only possible with computational imaging optimized within the A10 SOC. From here on out, the "Plus" models will be multiple imager solutions. Hopefully, they will find there way into the smaller iPhone form factors in 2017.
    edited September 2016 1983fastasleep
  • Reply 40 of 81
    I have to laugh when people say Apple leaks this stuff on purpose. Sure there might be things they leak to specific journalists at WSJ or Bloomberg but they're not leaking to some analyst that does research notes on Asian supply chain. And why in the world would Apple want everything known before the event? It just makes the event less exciting, fewer people interested in watching because they already know everything being announced.