IDC: Apple Watch loses ground as 'basic' wearables boom

Comments

• Reply 21 of 76
    NY1822NY1822 Posts: 621member
    I love the people declaring they will never buy another Apple Watch...sort of like people buying the first iPhone declaring they will never buy another bc there were limited apps for it. Any teen growing up will only wear a smart watch...the days of $450 Michael KORS watches are over....Also, Apple is so worried they struck a deal with MisFit to sell their fitness trackers in the Apple Store, as earlier reported by AppleInsider.
    edited September 2016 williamlondonsteveh
  • Reply 22 of 76
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    NY1822 said:
    I love the people declaring they will never buy another Apple Watch...sort of like people buying the first iPhone declaring they will never buy another bc there were limited apps for it. Any teen growing up will only wear a smart watch...the days of $450 Michael KORS watches are over....Also, Apple is so worried they struck a deal with MisFit to sell their fitness trackers in the Apple Store, as earlier reported by AppleInsider.
    Outside of a new MBP, which is looking doubtful today, I'm most excited about the next Apple Watch. 
  • Reply 23 of 76
    foggyhill said:
    Another senseless idiocy from IDC. Bravo IDC for being such morons.
    You're calling IDC morons based on reading AI's Apple-slanted take on a press release? Read the release or better yet, look at the data. They track two types of wearables - basic and smart - then combine them in the roll up. These then get rolled up further when IDC tracks the device market, then hardware, then IT but no one is saying you can't compare a watch to a phone or ERP, you know why? Because people who get paid to interpret the data know what they are looking at and when to cut it fine and when to look at the bigger picture.
    williamlondonsingularitywiggin
  • Reply 24 of 76
    Wonder if the same people saying they will never buy an Apple Watch will change their minds when you can start your car with one, get into your locked home with one, use one as your wallet.....Oh wait, you can already do all of those 
    edited September 2016 holyone
  • Reply 25 of 76
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Why is IDC comparing the watch with basic wearables?

• Reply 26 of 76
    I see AI like most blogs continue to mistake Apple Watch for a fitness product. Its Not. 

Fitness is one of many features on Apple Watch. Most Apple Watch users do not find that to be particularly important aspect of the device. Some do.
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 27 of 76
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    NY1822 said:
    Wonder if the same people saying they will never buy an Apple Watch will change their minds when you can start your car with one, get into your locked home with one, use one as your wallet.....Oh wait, you can already do all of those 
    Most—if not all—people that make absolute, unsubstantiated claims about new technology they will never use typically lack vision. These are the people that see what something currently can do, decide it has to current use for them today, and then decide—through whatever unfortunate brain wiring and chemistry they possess—that this will always be the case. Now, you talk to these people and get them to admit that technology does change, but they still seems to be a disconnect between what is happening right now and how inaugural product, foundation, or idea could evolve into something worth their interest.

I deal with this on a daily basis (and I know many of the readers here do, as well), and as frustrating as it is, just remember that 1) there are like minded individuals as yourself in the world (many on this forum, for example), 2) to quote old adage, "in regione caecorum rex est luscus," and 3) you have an opportunity to profit from the shortsightedness of others (e.g.: which is how I was able to first retire by 30 years of age). Trust yourself, study and test the patterns you see in the world, and don't let the masses convince you must be wrong simply because you're outnumbered.

"Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see." —Arthur Schopenhauer
    edited September 2016 radarthekatnolamacguyroundaboutnow
  • Reply 28 of 76
    NY1822 said:
    Indeed, you can do all of that, and still, relatively few people (3%) are buying a smart watch. I think smart watches will grow substantially, but it has not been cracked yet.
  • Reply 29 of 76
    It's a 1.0 product, so I'd say it's too early to tell what's going to happen with it. The iPhone actually had kind of a bumpy start, too. Remember when Blackberry sales surged after the intro of the iPhone?

It sounds to me like Apple is planning to address the Watch's biggest shortcomings. Specifically, they're planning to:

1. improve the UI
    2. add GPS
    and (presumably, eventually, when it makes sense technically)
    3. add LTE

I think things will work out fine for the Watch. 
    nolamacguy
  • Reply 30 of 76
    croprcropr Posts: 1,125member
    NY1822 said:
    Exactly that the reason I never want an Apple Watch. If someone steals my current watch, I don't need to be afraid that person break into house, use my car or empty my bank account.
    I am still waiting for someone to tell me the real added value of this very expensive gadget:  something that the combination iPhone + Apple Watch has more than iPhone + $50 fitness tracker.  Saving 0.3 seconds by not getting my iPhone out of my pocket is a very limited added value, by no means it amounts to the $300 the Watch costs. 
  • Reply 31 of 76
    cropr said:
    NY1822 said:
    Exactly that the reason I never want an Apple Watch. If someone steals my current watch, I don't need to be afraid that person break into house, use my car or empty my bank account.
    I am still waiting for someone to tell me the real added value of this very expensive gadget:  something that the combination iPhone + Apple Watch has more than iPhone + $50 fitness tracker.  Saving 0.3 seconds by not getting my iPhone out of my pocket is a very limited added value, by no means it amounts to the $300 the Watch costs. 
    False. Troll. Garbage. 
    nolamacguyroundaboutnow
  • Reply 32 of 76
    cropr said:
    NY1822 said:
    so you must be afraid to walk around with your wallet and keys and those people who have a copy of your fingerprint, bc Touch ID is used for all those features. There will be a day soon when we all can leave our wallets at home.
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 33 of 76
    jungmark said:
    Why is IDC comparing the watch with basic wearables?

They're not comparing the devices themselves, only noting the apparent inverse correlation between sales.  It's an interesting data point, i.e. that sales of other wearables are rising, while those of the Apple Watch is declining, but without some explanation or cause, it's only a data point. 

It might be simply that people are waiting for the new model.  It might also mean that people are choosing more focused functionality for a lower price point over a more expensive general "all purpose" product.  Or it could be that the market is saturated, and nobody else wants one.   Any of these, and many more, are all possible explanations, but the AI article doesn't go into why it's happening, only that it is, in fact, happening.

• Reply 34 of 76
    Well Apple Watch will probably be my next purchase as FitBit has lost me forever as a customer, as well as all those that ever ask why I'm not wearing my HR anymore.  December 2014 I bought the Charge HR.  November 2015 it stopped working, wouldn't keep time when charging and needed constant reboots to reset the time.  Fitbit sent a new one.  Last week the new one started acting exactly like the first one. 

Never swam in it, showered in it, or even wore it to bed.  It was worn during the day and charged at night when needed.  Can't even last a year.  the only thing I used it for was call alerts.  So I'll just go straight to the source and get an Apple watch that gives call and text alerts rather than short-term disposable Fitbit garbage. 
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 35 of 76
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,843moderator
    cropr said:
    NY1822 said:
    Hmm, you do realize that the Watch is as secure as your iPhone in terms of someone being able to use it to access your money, break into your house or use your car.  A pickpocket who lifts your wallet can immediately begin making purchases with your physical credit cards.  If that person also gets your keys (maybe rather than picking your pocket they instead walked off with your gym bag, or, if you're a woman, your purse), then they could steal your car, open the glove box, access your registration and immediately know where you live, then drive to your home and walk in the front door.  

If instead your credit cards, car and home keys were all electronic, accessed via you iPhone and Apple Watch, how would stealing either, or both, allow anyone to gain access to your life?  Apple already requires TouchID to be setup in order to use ApplePay, for example, and TouchID in turn requires you to set a password.  So there's not even a way for you to be careless and leave your credit card access unprotected on your iPhone or Apple Watch.  It's simply safer than physical credit cards and physical keys.
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 36 of 76
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,344member
    Soli said:
    NY1822 said:
    Most—if not all—people that make absolute, unsubstantiated claims about new technology they will never use typically lack vision. These are the people that see what something currently can do, decide it has to current use for them today, and then decide—through whatever unfortunate brain wiring and chemistry they possess—that this will always be the case. Now, you talk to these people and get them to admit that technology does change, but they still seems to be a disconnect between what is happening right now and how inaugural product, foundation, or idea could evolve into something worth their interest.

I deal with this on a daily basis (and I know many of the readers here do, as well), and as frustrating as it is, just remember that 1) there are like minded individuals as yourself in the world (many on this forum, for example), 2) to quote old adage, "in regione caecorum rex est luscus," and 3) you have an opportunity to profit from the shortsightedness of others (e.g.: which is how I was able to first retire by 30 years of age). Trust yourself, study and test the patterns you see in the world, and don't let the masses convince you must be wrong simply because you're outnumbered.

"Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see." —Arthur Schopenhauer
    Technically literate people can also be very conservative toward change.

Case in point.

Apple eliminates headphone jack, provides a Lightning to headphone jack dongle, and/or BT earbuds.

World cries out "How will I ever be able to charge my iPhone 7 Plus if I'm listening to music through my wired headphones and a dongle?"

Nest year, Apple adds wireless charging in 10th anniversary iPhone, and by then, most people have moved on to BT earbuds anyway.

Apple had to off the headphone jack this year so that the sturm and drang of the headphone jack murder will be muted in a year.

Next year's cry will be "WTF! No way will I ever buy an iPhone in a glass case", wireless charging, improved waterproofing,  and killer cellular connections not withstanding.

I'm buying an iPhone 7 Plus to replace my iPhone 6 Plus, and I'll probably skip the iPhone 8 for the iPhone 8s, because it isn't a big fucking deal to move on at whatever pace you want to in the Apple ecosystem; just be advised that there is the Holy Roadmap, and the Roadmap requires technological milestones, some of which are late or will never happen. Believe in the Roadmap, and all will be fine and you will be happy, live well, and prosper. Patience is a virtue.
  • Reply 37 of 76
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    The only amazing thing is that it ever had any ground to lose...
  • Reply 38 of 76
    poksipoksi Posts: 482member
    The only problem with Watch is that vast majority of apps for mass market have very poor Watch versions. Some on pathetic level. And everything is very slow... Apple hasn't figured out itself yet, how to change that, so Watch is used not much more than the wrist bands are. Sorry to admit that....
    iSalmanPak
  • Reply 39 of 76
    I like my Apple Watch, I realized when I bought it that it was the "first" model of a new product line which will improve and be more useful than telling time, email and call notifications and activity tracker. It will not replace the iPhone any time soon but it was carefully designed not to do that. I consider it the ultimate nerd gadget (see what we can cram into a watch size box) but in time will more customizable (not the body but the screen) only then will it become what it should have been. 
    tmay
  • Reply 40 of 76
    headphones are wearable tech too. So that alone puts apple/beats on top