IDC: Apple Watch loses ground as 'basic' wearables boom

Comments

• Reply 41 of 76
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,342member
    rtorcato said:
    headphones are wearable tech too. So that alone puts apple/beats on top
    Ya think IDC will have a chart of Apple/Beats headphone share for the iPhone 7?

Nah...but I'll bet it will be more revenue than all the fitness gizmos combined.
  • Reply 42 of 76
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    The Apple Watch should be leagues ahead. 

Its not. 

Heres why: it's too complicated. 

I own one. 

I I really like it 

but...

I can can live without it. 

I dont bother with with most features very often because it's annoying. 

Cant say say that about my iMac 5k or iPhone 6 Plus.

watch OS needs a complete rethink. 
    You will always get dislikes for any criticism of Apple stuff but this is well said. Some apps, most, are useless except the fitness apps - which is why comparing to Fitbit makes sense. 
    gatorguycnocbui
  • Reply 43 of 76
    ceek74ceek74 Posts: 324member
    In other news, sales of friendship and charm bracelets driving a stake into the heart of wearables.
  • Reply 44 of 76
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member

WatchOS 3... dropping today.
    TurboPGT
  • Reply 45 of 76
    asdasd said:

Its not. 

I own one. 

I I really like it 

but...

You will always get dislikes for any criticism of Apple stuff but this is well said. Some apps, most, are useless except the fitness apps - which is why comparing to Fitbit makes sense. 
    Anyone that says watchOS needs a rethink obviously hasn't seen watchOS 3, or is a complete idiot.
    brucemcnolamacguy
  • Reply 46 of 76
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    I'm so surprised!  Devices that cost less than $100 are outselling the two-year old Apple watch that starts at $300 by three-fold.  I am shocked! Flabbergasted I say, I say!

(now that this amount of sarcasm is out of the way)

Seriously though, everyone I know... everyone... who has a FitBit has either a) lost one at least once b) had to return it for issues.  If the numbers of Fitbits are based on shipment volumes, I hope they accounted for the free ones they send to all my friends when they are lost or broken. 
  • Reply 47 of 76
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    foggyhill said:
    mac_128 said:
    Great time to compare "market share", just when Apple is about to announce Watch 2.

I doubt most people outside of these kinds of tech forums know that a new watch is coming.
    Most people that own one, and people around them know. That's enough.
    Apple will be promoting heavily during the holiday season and others then will know too.
    Not the point I was making. I'm sure the Holiday season will be just as profitable as last Holiday was. The point now is that that most people thinking about a wearable are looking at what's on the market now, and not how long the current Watch has been on the market, nor whether a new one is about to come out. Even people who own an Watch are not likely keeping track of Apple's product cycles. Sales are down because the interest is not there. Unless your contention is that the only people who will be buying the new Watch are existing customers and their friends, in which case, that doesn't really bode well for the future of the watch.
  • Reply 48 of 76
    asdasd said:

Its not. 

I own one. 

I I really like it 

but...

Hence, why after the initial release, improvements in all areas are expected to be announced the very day of your comments on this very article, and with a new and improved Apple Watch.

What a coincidence!

There's still a couple more hours to post negative opinions about Apple Watch 1 and Apple watchOS 2; don't waste them.
    edited September 2016 steveh
  • Reply 49 of 76
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Refresh cycles looming will do that (dip sales of the soon to be replaced device). 
  • Reply 50 of 76
    I love reading the comments when an article that isn't kissing Apple's ass is posted. So many of you bitches react like a teenage girl who read something bad about Bieber on twitter.
    I'd say many defenders don't even have the watch. Those of us criticising it do, because we have real world criticisms. And I'll probably buy the next one as well. And criticise it if necessary. 
  • Reply 51 of 76
    tmay said:
    asdasd said:

Its not. 

I own one. 

I I really like it 

but...

Hence, why after the initial release, improvements in all areas are expected to be announced the very day of your comments on this very article, and with a new and improved Apple Watch.

What a coincidence!

There's still a couple more hours to post negative opinions about Apple Watch 1 and Apple watchOS 2; don't waste them.
    Man up. Don't be triggered. As for watch 3 it is implementing things I logged radars for. Like using the bottom button on the right to access app functionality. The Apple internal engineers don't get upset by constructive criticism and nor should you. 

Still though it's not really ever going to be used or useful for many categories of apps. 
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 52 of 76
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member

Its not. 

I own one. 

I I really like it 

but...

The Apple Watch is far better, but for now, People are going to buy the CHEAP Fitbit! I had one myself in the past, well 2, and they didn't last to long. I miss not having my Apple Watch on me these days. Did you know, there's been far more Apple Watches sold then the Original iPhone!!! It is a first gen product. have you seen WatchOS3? There's some big changes in the Interface, along with Apps loading up faster, etc. Apple has had time to see what works, and what doesn't so much. There's a number of big changes done to WatchOS and I can't wait until my watch has it. The Apple Watch is not going to sell as well as a cheap fitness tracker. It's still selling much better then everyone else's Smart Watch. In time, single use fitness things will disappear like camera's and GPS units and so on. Not go completely away, bet sell only a tiny fraction of what they used to. If you actually used your Apple Watch it becomes pretty simple to use.
  • Reply 53 of 76
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    I just gave a junky fitbit to my father (literally those things are total PieceOfS's, if he finds value in the tracking features we'll upgrade him to an Apple Watch for christmas - although the sleep tracking feature would be a welcome addition to the Apple watch.
    I use a program called HeartWatch for sleep tracking on my Apple Watch. What I do is throw my watch on the charger about a hour before I go to bed. It charges pretty fast. So it's fully charged. start up HeartWatch on my Apple Watch, hard press to then turn on sleep. Wake up I stop it. Then I take my watch off, and throw it back on it's charge stand to top it off while I'm in the bathroom getting ready for the day and when done, throw my watch back on which is now at 100%. I do it this way because because I can take my watch off and on pretty quickly and it makes for short charging times. Now I'm doing sleep tracking with my Apple Watch.
  • Reply 54 of 76
    Umm, IDC is comparing the launch quarter last year of the Apple Watch with this quarter's lull before the launch of a new model.  Are they for real?  Have they never heard of seasonality?

The truth of the matter is the Apple Watch has captured between 60-70% smart watch market share, led the smart watch market to pass the ENTIRE Swiss Watch industry's annual sales in its first 3 quarters on the market and sold over 12 million units in its first year on the market easily passing both the iPod and the iPhone in their launch years.  The iPod took 4 years to sell 4m units and the iPhone took just short of 2 years to sell 13m.

The Apple Watch has an Average Selling Price (ASP) of around $500 and profit margin estimated by some as high as 76%.  In comparison the ASP for a FitBit is $84 and FitBit's reported profit margin has plunged to a measly 1.08% in the last quarter.

Wristly reports a 97% satisfaction rate amongst Apple Watch owners compared to 30% of fitness bands that end up in a drawer within the first 6 months of purchase.

So please tell us again - exactly how is "a tale of doom and gloom for Apple"?

• Reply 55 of 76
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    What happened to Pebble and Gear? Are they now a part of "Others"?
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 56 of 76
    jbdragon said:
    I just gave a junky fitbit to my father (literally those things are total PieceOfS's, if he finds value in the tracking features we'll upgrade him to an Apple Watch for christmas - although the sleep tracking feature would be a welcome addition to the Apple watch.
    I use a program called HeartWatch for sleep tracking on my Apple Watch. What I do is throw my watch on the charger about a hour before I go to bed. It charges pretty fast. So it's fully charged. start up HeartWatch on my Apple Watch, hard press to then turn on sleep. Wake up I stop it. Then I take my watch off, and throw it back on it's charge stand to top it off while I'm in the bathroom getting ready for the day and when done, throw my watch back on which is now at 100%. I do it this way because because I can take my watch off and on pretty quickly and it makes for short charging times. Now I'm doing sleep tracking with my Apple Watch.
    I just bought one of the Masimo Bluetooth pulse oximeters which I will wear training or at night to collect sleep data (family history of sleep apnea). Right now it connects up to the iPhone, but there's nothing to say that it couldn't gain an data collection app for my Apple Watch, albeit just for short stints due to the battery life.

The Apple Watch is looking like the centerpiece of Apple's fitness and health tracking initiatives, which will be be very difficult for the fitness band companies to replicate without the same level of regulatory and medical expertise that Apple has already gained.
  • Reply 57 of 76
    I held off on buying the Apple Watch and I'm a huge Apple supporter owning nearly everything they make. But, I would primarily use the watch for fitness and I don't want to have a watch and my phone on me. A GPS chip would be great and I will probably buy an Apple Watch if this is true.
  • Reply 58 of 76
    birko said:
    Watches have been dying a slow death. Almost no one I know, under 70, wears one except for fashion statement, and smartwatches don't cut it in this area.

At the moment smartwatches, even Apples, don't have enough added benefit to entice most people to buy them.

after 20 years of not wearing a watch, i changed my tune w/ the AW. then again I'm a techie...i dig notifications, texting, payments, music, and apps (Hue, even if its so slow). its classy enough (SS + leather) to not be embarrassed by it.
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 59 of 76
    Everybody assumes Apple is like SameSong and others that are chasing market share at the expense of everyone else, rather like Balmer's Microsoft of the '80's. To use cars as an example, Ferrari and other low-volume high-value brands could give a flip if they "own" ALL segments of the car market. Generates a lot of Internet chatter, which is probably the point.
  • Reply 60 of 76
    TurboPGT said:
    I see AI like most blogs continue to mistake Apple Watch for a fitness product. Its Not. 

Fitness is one of many features on Apple Watch. Most Apple Watch users do not find that to be particularly important aspect of the device. Some do.
    true, as a generalist device different strokes. but for my partner & i fitness is a main use case. i use it 3-5 days a week for my workouts. the StrongLifts weight lifting app dovetails nicely w/ HealthKit, and sets me notifications when its time to resume my sets while keeping phone in pocket. partner is a runner and wants music but hates wearing an iphone.