Apple debuts $159 AirPods wireless earbuds with W1 wireless chip, 5 hours of battery life

Comments

• Reply 41 of 113
    tzterri said:
    I think I'll stick with my $20 ones. http://amzn.to/2cassfE
    from the #1 positive review: "Great product for the price. Died after 6 months..."
    netmagedoozydozenstevehwatto_cobra
  • Reply 42 of 113
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Apple gets it right, again...no loopy neck wires, charging in the box, able to use one at a time. If you have to have music doing anything, they look worth it!
    It's right, but with one mistake: it needs a loop add-on for around the ear guarantee.
    thats not a mistake, it's a choice. these aren't active wear...theyre perfect for my casual use cases. there are other designs available under Beats, with loops.

it really is hard to believe you ever worked for them with your attitude toward right & wrong decisions.
    Sweetness and light, as usual.
  • Reply 43 of 113
    These will purely be a relaxing listening experience. Anyone trying to use these in any kind of movement activity will be thoroughly disappointed with how quickly they lose them. Not upgrading from my 6s to the 7 most likely but definitely want these so long as they work with all iOS10 devices (as they should but didn't see it mentioned).
    no.  The W1 chip is required so only iPhone 7 for now.  

oops, i was wrong.  Look at the compatibility list:  http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MMEF2AM/A/airpods

My bad.
    edited September 2016 cnocbuisteveh
  • Reply 44 of 113

These will purely be a relaxing listening experience. Anyone trying to use these in any kind of movement activity will be thoroughly disappointed with how quickly they lose them. Not upgrading from my 6s to the 7 most likely but definitely want these so long as they work with all iOS10 devices (as they should but didn't see it mentioned).
    So, there are tons of different third party EarPods adapters for over the ear or better in-ear stability.  Go to Amazon and search.  One of my favorites are the EarBuddyz.  
  • Reply 45 of 113
    Gymkhana said:
    $159.00

Funny, so how much is the special Apple lanyard you'll need to strap onto them to keep from losing your 160 bucks?  Maybe a special Apple dewaxer/earcleaner to make sure they get a dry fit and don't fall out.  Brilliant.  Okay, decided, not buying any more Apple stock.

1) you don't have any stock.

2) whats stopping you from buying the other models with straps & loops?
    doozydozenstevehwatto_cobraSpamSandwich
  • Reply 46 of 113
    Apple gets it right, again...no loopy neck wires, charging in the box, able to use one at a time. If you have to have music doing anything, they look worth it! :)
    It's right, but with one mistake: it needs a loop add-on for around the ear guarantee.
    Your problem was solved a while ago.  There will be a version for the Airpods for sure.  

https://smile.amazon.com/NEW-EARBUDi-Clips-Apple-iPhone-EarPods/dp/B00A7VYO90/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1473277952&sr=8-4&keywords=ear+pod+loops ;
    roundaboutnow
  • Reply 47 of 113
    TurboPGT said:

But I have no doubt there will be dozens of 3rd party accessories made just for this purpose.
    Duct tape.
  • Reply 48 of 113

cnocbui said:
    Apple gets it right, again...no loopy neck wires, charging in the box, able to use one at a time. If you have to have music doing anything, they look worth it!
    thats not a mistake, it's a choice. these aren't active wear...theyre perfect for my casual use cases. there are other designs available under Beats, with loops.

it really is hard to believe you ever worked for them with your attitude toward right & wrong decisions.
    Sweetness and light, as usual.
    we all know who the usual FUD trolls are...especially you, since it's your specialty. prepare for the new hater talking points -- your FUD packets will be updated and delivered immediately!
    roundaboutnowai46doozydozenstevehwatto_cobra
  • Reply 49 of 113

homie said:
    no.  The W1 chip is required so only iPhone 7 for now.  
    did you watch the video? the W1 chip is in the headphones, not the phone.
    doozydozen
  • Reply 50 of 113
    I'm having trouble wrapping my brain around how Apple can sell a significantly upgraded iPhone with a $160 pair of earbuds for the same price as the previous generation iPhone which came with $29 EarPods. The profit margins on something don't feel quite right.
  • Reply 51 of 113
    My only wish is that they had active noise cancellation to compete against the Bose QC30's.  I'm not a big neckband fan but I would like something to replace my Bose QC20's at some point that is wireless and provides outstanding noise cancellation.  Right now that is basically Bose.  
    doozydozen
  • Reply 52 of 113
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    I own BT headphone and one of the hassle is pressing 5 secs each time to switch it on or off when I needed it to be instant. Apple automatic design to turn on and off based on sensor is absolutely awesome.
    doozydozenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 53 of 113
    this is one of the best features:

"AirPods connect automatically with all your Apple devices. They’re simultaneously connected to your iPhone and Apple Watch, and sound switches instantly between the devices."

...this solves one of the major pain points of BT use, which is switching between devices.
    doozydozenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 54 of 113
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    yes, bring it! i hate having these sitting on my desktop for conference calls:

...AirPods will be perfect, especially since i often shift from iPhone to iPod to mac, etc..

and maybe a sportier pair for the gym depending on how they hold.
    In all the years you've "suffered" using those headphones (which by the looks of the electrical tape on them is many years), did you once consider looking at headphone options other than Apple's? You could have relieved yourself of those wired headphones long ago.
    singularity
  • Reply 55 of 113
    From the presentation, it sounded like (no pun intended) that the wireless technology was something other than Bluetooth, which made me curious as to compatibility with other Apple products...

Answers here:
    http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MMEF2AM/A/airpods

Turns out it is Bluetooth, and works on most devices, but a note (1) says "Requires an iCloud account and macOS Sierra, iOS 10, or watchOS 3." I get the OS version requirement, but the iCloud account requirement is interesting. I guess that's how connecting to just one device more or less automatically makes the connection with all other devices?
    So does this mean you can or can't use them with non-Apple products? They use Bluetooth, but from the sounds of it you'd never be able to pair them with non-Apple devices. And if these are paired via your iCloud account, all the worse because they won't even (easily) work with someone else's iDevices. I guess it remains to be seen just how limiting the connection options are going to be. Personally, it's a moot point because Apple's earphones never fit my ears anyway, but even if they did I don't think I'd pay that much. The extra little nicities don't justify the premium price in my mind.
  • Reply 56 of 113
    wiggin said:
    yes, bring it! i hate having these sitting on my desktop for conference calls:

...AirPods will be perfect, especially since i often shift from iPhone to iPod to mac, etc..

and maybe a sportier pair for the gym depending on how they hold.
    In all the years you've "suffered" using those headphones (which by the looks of the electrical tape on them is many years), did you once consider looking at headphone options other than Apple's? You could have relieved yourself of those wired headphones long ago.
    of course. i use BT platronics in the gym and also have a pair of BT Philips and some old Sony monitors somewhere. but like most people, i often use whats in the box because because I'm not an audiophile, like most of apple's customers. the EarPods are pretty decent for free.

this is why all the whining, crying, and handwringing from techies is going to count for nothing -- most people don't give a shit, and use whats in the box. some upgrade to wireless. 
  • Reply 57 of 113
    I'll be picking up a pair for sure, as I've been waiting for Apple to get back in the BT headset game (not interested in Beats).  They'll go nicely with the Plantronic Pro headset I use for traveling (given the active noise canceling and 24 hour battery life), but they're just too big for everyday work use.  I'm really excited about these headsets and the new iPhone, surprisingly.  I figured I was completely happy with my 6s+, but dang is that new glossy black version really great looking and the tech certainly has improved inside.  The added water resistance is great too.  I say all in all, it was a great presentation and Apple will see significant gains in sales of iPhone and Watch, imho.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 58 of 113
    jasenj1 said:
    I'm having trouble wrapping my brain around how Apple can sell a significantly upgraded iPhone with a $160 pair of earbuds for the same price as the previous generation iPhone which came with $29 EarPods. The profit margins on something don't feel quite right.
    Because the AirPods are NOT included with iPhones. You get the Lightning connected EarPods in the iPhone box.
    stevehrazorpitwatto_cobrajasenj1rockdaddy22
  • Reply 59 of 113
    Did anyone gleen off if this is an iPhone 7-only accessory? I assume as much given the W1 nature of the device and suspected new frequency needed (not bluetooth, not WIFI, not cellular). -RJ
  • Reply 60 of 113
    wiggin said:
    From the presentation, it sounded like (no pun intended) that the wireless technology was something other than Bluetooth, which made me curious as to compatibility with other Apple products...

Answers here:
    http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MMEF2AM/A/airpods

Turns out it is Bluetooth, and works on most devices, but a note (1) says "Requires an iCloud account and macOS Sierra, iOS 10, or watchOS 3." I get the OS version requirement, but the iCloud account requirement is interesting. I guess that's how connecting to just one device more or less automatically makes the connection with all other devices?
    So does this mean you can or can't use them with non-Apple products? They use Bluetooth, but from the sounds of it you'd never be able to pair them with non-Apple devices. And if these are paired via your iCloud account, all the worse because they won't even (easily) work with someone else's iDevices. I guess it remains to be seen just how limiting the connection options are going to be. Personally, it's a moot point because Apple's earphones never fit my ears anyway, but even if they did I don't think I'd pay that much. The extra little nicities don't justify the premium price in my mind.
    Well, the link only shows Apple devices. Of course, I'm just guessing, but maybe there will be a way to use the conventional pair/un-pair method with non-Apple devices, seeing as it is Bluetooth.

So far as pricing, they may be out of your desired budget, but it's not quite what I would call "premium pricing." There are huge numbers of wired ear buds out there that are way more expensive, but that many have justified paying for. If quality sonic performance can be had with these wireless earbuds (compared to other wireless earbuds), I would say it is likely that they will sell a bunch.
    watto_cobra