Apple debuts $159 AirPods wireless earbuds with W1 wireless chip, 5 hours of battery life

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 113
    dws-2 said:
    I like everything about these except their shape, which wobbles around in my ears.

The pairing seems perfect.
    The noise cancelation, if it works, is a very nice addition.
    Auto-pausing my music when I take them out is huge and provides a natural play/pause button.
    I love the ability to switch easily between the phone, watch, and computer. That's a pet peeve with my current headphones.
    These seem very convenient in a very old school Apple way.
    The price is typical of fancy bluetooth headphones and not as bad as I thought for all the features.

However I would probably lose them the first day I tried to do anything active with them, either from them breaking from falling out of my ears or from loosing them after they've fallen out for the 10th time. Apple often prizes form over function, so I'm not entirely surprised ... just disappointed because I really like these otherwise.
    Reply #48 suggested these:
    https://smile.amazon.com/NEW-EARBUDi-Clips-Apple-iPhone-EarPods/dp/B00A7VYO90/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1473277952&sr=8-4&keywords=ear+pod+loops%20;

Would these work for you?
  • Reply 102 of 113
    To all the negatives and alternative recommendation, there's nothing like these, once you pair them with your iPhone or first iCloud device, they seek out all your devices and you can use them with all of them, I am thinking/hoping transparently, due to the new chip, so no stupid bluetooth pairing crap, except that first time. And better yet no waking up macs that you have paired them with, when you just want them with your iPhone etc.  These are dream boat, if you have a MacBook, iPhone, and Watch at the same time...
  • Reply 103 of 113
    Wow apparently Samsung had already made similar wireless ear buds already. Never heard of them. And of course they sucked. But surprisingly are way more expensive!! They're freakin $199. Fuck. Have nowhere near the same functionality. 1.5 hours of Bluetooth music use. 

Anytime someone tries to tell you Airpods are too stupid expensive, should be cheaper, only 5 hours playback even with 24 hours of carrying case charge with 15min charge giving you 3 hours use, etc. Show them the shit competition for 25% higher cost.

- Samsung's Gear Icon X cord-free earbuds will go on sale in the US on August 15. 
    - Battery life is estimated at about three hours on its own as a fitness tracker and music player, or an hour and a half when paired and streaming from a phone.
    At launch, the headphones will work with most Android phones (running at least Android 4.4 and with 1.5GB or more of RAM), but they will not work with iOS devices.
    - Can get hot for your ears. Unstable software. Poor audio quality for music. Erratic charging.

Once again. Sammy with the bragging rights of first-to-market yet with immature technology (or what other ppl call innovation and being light years ahead of Apple = fuck off).

Read the sources if you want:
    https://www.androidpit.com/samsung-gear-iconx-review
    http://www.cnet.com/news/airpods-schmairpods-samsung-reminds-world-it-made-wireless-earbuds-first/
    http://www.theverge.com/2016/6/2/11841388/samsung-gear-iconx-wireless-earbuds-fitness-tracking-hands-on
  • Reply 104 of 113
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    Tapping on the AirPod is reminiscent of tapping on the chest communicator in Star Trek: TNG. Would be great to have Majel Barret's voice as a Siri option and then have it respond to "Computer" instead of "Hey Siri."
  • Reply 105 of 113
    tzterri said:
    I think I'll stick with my $20 ones. http://amzn.to/2cassfE
    IN-ear bulbs. Different product category.
  • Reply 106 of 113
    I've pretty much given up on bluetooth. I'm tired of having to make sure things are charged. Just plugging in regular headphones is so much simpler.
    cnocbui
  • Reply 107 of 113
    Jason Snell at sixcolors.com just gave them a pretty solid thumbs up.
  • Reply 108 of 113
    Did I miss an announcement for the new app "find my air pods"? Are you going to be able to locate lost or stolen air pods? How about remote locking them so that they will not work if lost or stolen?  Why does Apple think one size fits all when it applies to ear sizes.  I can imagine running with these in on a treadmill and having them bounce out of my ear onto the treadmill then onto the floor to be stepped on by someone.  Why should I spend $160 and then have to buy accessories so that I don't loose my investment?  Impressive technology! Not so much impressed by lack of practicality.  
  • Reply 109 of 113
    icoco3 said:
    sog35 said:
    icoco3 said:
    Ouch on the price but a lot of tech in there....oops, it fell out, off the cliff. wink 
    I'm sure there be thousands of accessories available to connect the two pods together
    Quick fix I thought of was granny glasses holders.  You remember those..... wink

And, who is disliking just to dislike?
    TLDR; Good idea to prevent loss, but doesn’t solve fallout for some w/weird ears.

A granny loop isn’t going to keep them in your ears. Some people—like me—can’t wear earpods because the shape of our ears makes them fall out while doing activity. & while the granny loop is a good idea to avoid losing them, it won’t fix the problem of earpods not fitting in ears that aren’t shaped with a recess at the end of the ear canal that earpods need to sit securely in the ear. The last thing I need is having to stop every few sentences in a conversation to reinsert my earpod because talking alone causes them to become dislodged because the ear canal changes shape as one ones and closes one’s yappy hole. ;)

edited September 2016
  • Reply 110 of 113
    Did I miss an announcement for the new app "find my air pods"? Are you going to be able to locate lost or stolen air pods? How about remote locking them so that they will not work if lost or stolen?  Why does Apple think one size fits all when it applies to ear sizes.  I can imagine running with these in on a treadmill and having them bounce out of my ear onto the treadmill then onto the floor to be stepped on by someone.  Why should I spend $160 and then have to buy accessories so that I don't loose my investment?  Impressive technology! Not so much impressed by lack of practicality.  
    Your first post and I'm already going to block you. Well done.
  • Reply 111 of 113
    this earbud design doesn't fit in my ears at all. bose is the only company that makes comfortable ear buds that fit and stay in my ears. wish apple would offer higher quality ear bud construction.
    Habi_tweet
  • Reply 112 of 113
    homie said:
    Apple gets it right, again...no loopy neck wires, charging in the box, able to use one at a time. If you have to have music doing anything, they look worth it!
    It's right, but with one mistake: it needs a loop add-on for around the ear guarantee.
    Your problem was solved a while ago.  There will be a version for the Airpods for sure.  

https://smile.amazon.com/NEW-EARBUDi-Clips-Apple-iPhone-EarPods/dp/B00A7VYO90/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1473277952&sr=8-4&keywords=ear+pod+loops ;
    Pretty sure this doesnt solve how it FITS in the ear. It pretty much kills your experence if it isnt a snug fit. The sound just doesnt sound good if its loose  in the ear (sound comes out from the gap between the ear-canal and the earpiece, and that pretty much kills the bass)...

edited September 2016