Stereo sound on iPhone 7 uses standard speaker plus earpiece in landscape mode

Posted:
in iPhone
Apple's new stereo sound implementation on the iPhone 7 series of phones utilizes the bottom speaker in conjunction with a balanced earphone on the device, instead of a second edge-mounted speaker.

With the iPhone 7 family, Apple has implemented stereo on-device for the first time. Apple hasn't published full speaker specifications yet, but claims that the new speakers deliver two times the volume of the iPhone 6s, and "increased dynamic range."

AppleInsider has spoken with several audio engineers, and all of them agree that Apple's implementation of on-device stereo will be good enough for close listening, but the stereo channels will be indistinguishable at a range of greater than about four feet from the device.

"From what I've seen, Apple looks to have worked out the balance issue with the little iPhone speakers," one engineer told us. "If you want consistent stereo channel separation from any phone, though, stick with headphones."

The iPhone 7 Plus has a slightly wider distance between the speakers than the iPhone 7. We were told by the engineers we asked that it would make no appreciable increase in the maximum range from the phone that users would still be able to pick out discrete stereo channels.

AppleInsider will be examining the stereo performance as soon as possible.
"If you're listening to your music on any phone's speakers or most Bluetooth streamers, you're not that concerned about audio quality, generally."
The iPhone 7 has not included the legacy headphone jack, causing some consternation by consumers post-release. A post-release interview by Apple Senior Vice President of Worldwide Marketing Phil Schiller and Senior Vice President of Hardware Engineering Dan Riccio explained the shift to the Lightning connector, and focused on wireless streaming and engineering considerations.

Beyond just internal space considerations on the iPhone, reliance on the Lightning connector for audio out opens up possibilities for higher bitrate audio, and lossless streaming to external devices. Legacy Bluetooth devices are supported by the new W1 wireless chip, and vice versa -- a W1-equipped speaker set can sync to conventional Bluetooth phones as well.

"Most Bluetooth speakers are compact, with decent sound, but lack channel separation," we were told by the same engineer. "If you're listening to your music on any phone's speakers or most Bluetooth streamers, you're not that concerned about audio quality, generally."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    sricesrice Posts: 120member
    "but claims that the new speakers deliver two times the volume of the iPhone 6s"

If this makes the speakerphone be able to be twice as loud, that's an awesome improvement. 
    mike1slprescottcaliDeelronTurboPGTgfurrydoozydozenjony0waverboy
  • Reply 2 of 23
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,284member
    It takes about 10dB more output to double the perceived volume level. If this is truly "twice as loud", I would think they achieved 10dB more output by using some combination of more efficient speakers and increasing the size of the audio amplifier driving the speakers.
    doozydozen
  • Reply 3 of 23
    "but the stereo channels will be indistinguishable at a range of greater than about four feet from the device." That's going to suck next time I want to watch a video on my phone from across the room ...
    caliDeelronchabigwatto_cobradoozydozenai46baconstangjony0waverboy
  • Reply 4 of 23
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    "but the stereo channels will be indistinguishable at a range of greater than about four feet from the device." That's going to suck next time I want to watch a video on my phone from across the room ...
    I would argue most people watch videos with headphones. And yes the way most people are going to want to use louder stereo speakers is to play music from 4 feet away or further. 

I dont consider adding a second speaker, even if only making the iPhone speakers louder to be a valid exchange for the headphone jack. But I'm going to wait for the tear downs to see how this was accomplished. I'm dissapointed Phil did not go into the technology to make it possible, but rumors are that they haven't really added much to do it, so this isn't the primary culprit. The Taptic Engine seems to be the biggest reason for removing the headphone jack.

in the end, nobody was complaining about how poor the iPhone speaker was, and stereo is not really practical on a device with such poor speakers so close together. As long as they actually innovated here and didn't just ditch the headphone jack, then more power to them.
    doozydozenartdent
  • Reply 5 of 23
    prokipprokip Posts: 178member
    WHAT WE NEED IS A BETTER QUALITY DAC IN THE iPhone.  ARE YOU LISTENING TIM !!!
    baconstangsrice
  • Reply 6 of 23
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Stereo speakers, Taptic Engine 2, 3D Touch, A10, brighter display.

This would have been the PERFECT time for Apple to announce in house game development or acquire Nintendo or a different studio.

Is it possible to use the new home button for gaming now? If so it would be amazing playing games like Mario Run by tapping the home button and have the entire screen open and free from fingers.
    doozydozen
  • Reply 7 of 23
    I'm sure Apple did a reasonable job with this concept, but it comes across as a rather ghetto implmentation to me. I prefer symmetry. To me, this is like being born with one ear on the side of my head and the other ear facing forward from my cheekbone - I think I'd rather be deaf in one of two ears that are in the correct locations than to have one growing from the front of my face.
    edited September 2016 baconstang
  • Reply 8 of 23
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,284member
    cali said:

This would have been the PERFECT time for Apple to announce in house game development or acquire Nintendo or a different studio.

Is it possible to use the new home button for gaming now? If so it would be amazing playing games like Mario Run by tapping the home button and have the entire screen open and free from fingers.
    Why on earth would they want to acquire a game studio when they can earn 30% for being the middleman?! It seems every game studio struggles. If they're lucky, they have one big hit, make a ton of money, grow, fail to follow up with another big hit, shrink and either go out of business, sell themselves or stabilize as a smaller company again.
    pscooter63ai46baconstangwaverboy
  • Reply 9 of 23
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    mike1 said:
    cali said:

Why on earth would they want to acquire a game studio when they can earn 30% for being the middleman?! It seems every game studio struggles. If they're lucky, they have one big hit, make a ton of money, grow, fail to follow up with another big hit, shrink and either go out of business, sell themselves or stabilize as a smaller company again.
    Yeah why on Earth would they acquire Nintendo....
    doozydozen
  • Reply 10 of 23
    cali said:

You don't quite understand mobile gaming do you. Or the Home Button.
  • Reply 11 of 23
    zroger73 said:
    I'm sure Apple did a reasonable job with this concept, but it comes across as a rather ghetto implmentation to me. I prefer symmetry. To me, this is like being born with one ear on the side of my head and the other ear facing forward from my cheekbone - I think I'd rather be deaf in one of two ears that are in the correct locations than to have one growing from the front of my face.
    'ghetto'  Really?

seems to be a derogatory choice of adverb, given the fact that you can have wired and wireless options as well.   This is the 8th choice of sound options that I can see

1) portrait dual bottom speaker
    2) airplay to external sound system
    3) wireless to Apple ear pods
    4) wireless to non-apple BT earpods
    5) wireless to BT sound system
    6) wired to lightning earpods
    7) wired to external USB connected sound system
    8) landscape mode with software sound balancing.

I think it's almost overkill (although this is apple sweating the details it can sweat), and not an 'Institutionalized segregation of a minority class to an economically depressed geography' of sound solution...

• Reply 12 of 23
    Can anyone tell me what app that is on the iPhone above?

Thanks 
  • Reply 13 of 23
    mac_128 said:
    I dont consider adding a second speaker, even if only making the iPhone speakers louder to be a valid exchange for the headphone jack. But I'm going to wait for the tear downs to see how this was accomplished. I'm dissapointed Phil did not go into the technology to make it possible, but rumors are that they haven't really added much to do it, so this isn't the primary culprit. The Taptic Engine seems to be the biggest reason for removing the headphone jack.

in the end, nobody was complaining about how poor the iPhone speaker was, and stereo is not really practical on a device with such poor speakers so close together. As long as they actually innovated here and didn't just ditch the headphone jack, then more power to them.
    Oh shit. Just when I thought it was safe to come out...and say that the whole Lightning connector and Air Pods things are fine with me.

Honestly, you would have thought Apple killed someone's puppy yesterday, with all the ceaseless wailing and gnashing of teeth, and promises to forego all things Apple until the end of time.

Early reviews from the hands-on are very positive, for what that's worth. Not that that will matter to anyone.
    jkichlinewatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 23
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    zroger73 said:
    One issue that comes up from a design and engineering side of things is where to place these speakers on a device that you hold, typically on the edges.  You can't put them on the face since that's generally covered by screen, the sides can get in the way if you cover them up with your hand, etc.  The earpiece makes sense since it can pull double duty as long as it can drive the audio, which it sounds like it can.  The internal room at the top of the device (after moving the driver ledge to the bottom) probably made space for a chamber inside of the phone to provide better frequencies, etc.  Good speakers need some amount of space to replicate sound.  I think if you take the number of people who casually listen with the speakers plus people who listen with headphones on the go, the percentage of people needing to charge and listen at the same time is low.  This is a good "value add" when trying to replace the headphone jack.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 23
    "If you're listening to your music on any phone's speakers or most Bluetooth streamers, you're not that concerned about audio quality, generally."

Got that right.
  • Reply 16 of 23
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    zroger73 said:
    'ghetto'  Really?

seems to be a derogatory choice of adverb, given the fact that you can have wired and wireless options as well.   This is the 8th choice of sound options that I can see

1) portrait dual bottom speaker
    2) airplay to external sound system
    3) wireless to Apple ear pods
    4) wireless to non-apple BT earpods
    5) wireless to BT sound system
    6) wired to lightning earpods
    7) wired to external USB connected sound system
    8) landscape mode with software sound balancing.

I think it's almost overkill (although this is apple sweating the details it can sweat), and not an 'Institutionalized segregation of a minority class to an economically depressed geography' of sound solution...

I don't know that we know there are dual portrait speakers at the bottom. From all indications, there's just one speaker on the right, and a mic, and faux grille on the left. And talk about a waste of space.

Also, while the software is going to have to do a lot of heavy lifting, including muting the volume when you raise the phone to your ear, I'm not sure there's any way to make the earpiece and bottom speaker sound the same. Both speakers are of such low quality that it may not make a difference, but sound is going to be reflected differently if the right is facing front, and the left is facing the side. 

I think it's a cool solution, and worthy of Apple's heritage, but I'm curious to see how it actually sounds. As long as they didn't take up a lot of extra space to do it, then why not.
  • Reply 17 of 23

Got that right.
    Well, it ain't necessarily so. It's complicated. We humans depend an awful lot on our expectation of something to color or fulfill our perception. Music experts consulted by Neil Young convinced him (as if he needed it) that his Pono was outputting high fidelity music superior to other electronic devices and compression algorithms. Independent reviewers could not tell the difference. There were violin experts who listened to a variety of violins being played and could not pick out the Stradivarius from the music store cheapo. And we've all read about the multiple wine-tasting tests where experts are unable to tell red from white, cheap from pricey, fruity from oaky, when visual hints and symbols are removed.

waverboywatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 23
    I'm gonna just make my 6 last until they release the next SE (hoping for 3D Touch). I think that's really the device for the music lover
  • Reply 19 of 23
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    farmboy said:

Honestly, you would have thought Apple killed someone's puppy yesterday, with all the ceaseless wailing and gnashing of teeth, and promises to forego all things Apple until the end of time.
    The older I get (59 and counting), the more convinced I become that a very large percentage of our population has their intellectual and emotional development arrested at high school level.  Actual adult behavior seems to be passé.

It's a phone and a headphone jack for cryin' out corn!
  • Reply 20 of 23
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    n0m0n_ said:
    Can anyone tell me what app that is on the iPhone above?

Thanks 
    http://www.edjing.com/pro