Apple warns investors it won't announce iPhone 7 opening weekend sales

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 70
    Hmm, let me get this straight.  Apple's market cap, today, is $570b.  In Sept 2012 after the iPhone 5 intro, it reached $665b.  

So the Apple of today, with 

$150b more in cash, 
    with the iPad mini, 
    iPad Pro (in two sizes), 
    larger screen iPhones, 
    the retina MacBook, 
    a game-playing AppleTV, 
    the Apple Watch, 
    Apple Music, 
    Apple Pay, 
    a car on the way, 
    partnerships with IBM, Cisco, and SAP,
    and recent hints dropped by Cook about Entering the AR segment
    and probably a few things I left out... 

today's Apple is somehow worth $95b less than the Apple of Sept 2012?  

I'm not seeing how that makes any sense.  

And so I'll remain long.
    Yes.  Zero logic = 100% emotion for Wall Street.  Apple's bound to move into a new phase of speculative buying.  When that happens, we have tremendous head room on PE ratio.  2-3-400% multiples are certainly possible.  

From a structural development standpoint, Apple is playing a very long game.  They are sowing a lot of great seed.  I'm bullish.
    Soli
  • Reply 62 of 70
    clint said:
    They should not have said anything. Now there are going to be even more doom and gloom articles about their company. Maybe they will release something new and exciting before Christmas. Surely they have something else to announce for the holidays!
    Two words for that in response:  Buying opportunity.
  • Reply 63 of 70
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    sog35 said:
    cnocbui said:
    gatorguy said:
    ...today's Apple is somehow worth $95b less than the Apple of Sept 2012?  

And so I'll remain long.
    And so I'll stay out of the market. :)
    I've mentioned before I don't invest in anything that doesn't make sense. The stock market is one of those things. 
    Investing in shares that consistently deliver good dividends in terms of yield I can understand, the rest is just a ponzi scheme.
    Tell that to Warren Buffet
    Says prey about the predator.
    singularity
  • Reply 64 of 70
    mac_128 said:
    Makes sense to me, but I can see the doom and gloom crowd running with this and spewing hate that Apple won't release them because no one wants the phone. So we get to put up with this nonsense until the quarterly report I guess.
    I doubt this phone will be a flop, but despite the positive spin, outside of the 7Plus cameras, this is mostly just an iterative improvement over the 6s, without a headphone jack, and poorly thought out transition provisions for that removal.

How is removing the headphone jack, including a Lightning EarPods pair & an adaptor for legacy wired earphones poorly thought out?

How do you think the transition should have been?
  • Reply 65 of 70
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,821member
    sog35 said:
    cnocbui said:
    gatorguy said:

And so I'll remain long.
    And so I'll stay out of the market.
    I've mentioned before I don't invest in anything that doesn't make sense. The stock market is one of those things. 
    Investing in shares that consistently deliver good dividends in terms of yield I can understand, the rest is just a ponzi scheme.
    To be fair, the clout he and others in that league have isn't comparable to the average Joe investing.  They can literally change share values just by talking let alone buying and selling. 
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 66 of 70
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,038member
    sog35 said:
    sog35 said:
    cnocbui said:
    gatorguy said:

And so I'll remain long.
    To be fair, the clout he and others in that league have isn't comparable to the average Joe investing.  They can literally change share values just by talking let alone buying and selling. 
    true.

But look at the return for the S&P500 the last 40 years. You are getting 8-10% return. Tell me what other asset can do that?
    Jan Brady's house. :smiley: 
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 67 of 70
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,038member
    sog35 said:
    Soli said:
    sog35 said:
    sog35 said:
    cnocbui said:
    gatorguy said:

And so I'll remain long.
    true.

But look at the return for the S&P500 the last 40 years. You are getting 8-10% return. Tell me what other asset can do that?
    Jan Brady's house. :smiley: 
    That's not accurate.

You also need to add the property tax paid on the house.
    You need to add the repairs and maintenance on the house.
    You need to add the insurance paid for the house.
    You need to add the interest expense for the mortgage
    You need to add transaction costs (realtor fees, closing costs, ect)
    ect, ect, ect.

its been proven that in the majority of housing markets in the USA the S&P500 out performs real estate.

SpamSandwichsingularityapplepieguy
  • Reply 68 of 70
    kevin kee said:
    So basically Apple is saying launch weekend orders will be the same or less than last year and that's really not anything worthy of a press release.
    Basically Apple is saying they will and always be sold out at every launch weekend, so what is the point of announce it? It is meaningless number that is limited only by the supply not demand.
    If it was meaningless then why did they announce it after every launch weekend before this upcoming one? 
    Think about it. Apple obviously have learnt better. The numbers were announced before for shareholder confident and indirectly advertisement, however what happened were the opposite effects, they created unreasonable expectations. No other phone companies ever announce first weekend sales, why should Apple? They obviously know any numbers that come up either higher or lower will always be used against them either presently or in future.

Saying that, Apple always announce the quarterly sales number.
  • Reply 69 of 70
    mac_128 said:
    drewys808 said:
    mac_128 said:
    So Apple is initially going to lose a certain amount of sales for dropping the headphone jack. Once the phone has been out a while that may turn around, but initially it's going to affect sales performance.
    Hard to say, but I'm going to say that the "loss" will be negligible.

The only customers that will be swayed against an iPhone (since many concerned may just get a new 6S or SE instead of 7) based on the headphone jack "tragedy"will be those 1% that often listen to music/video while charging AND must use an analog headphone jack at the same time.  I think most in this 1% category will plan to get a BT earphone and move on in life.

And in 2 years time, 95% of all smartphone users will own at least one BT headphone.
    ...and by then, Apple will probably include a BT earphone in the iPhone box.
    Well, I'd love to see where you're getting your numbers. I don't have much to go on, but I do have this one survey which suggests that up to 20% of potential upgraders might reconsider upgrading to the 7 over the headphone jack. 

http://www.macnn.com/articles/16/01/10/we.took.a.few.hours.on.saturday.to.ask.apple.shoppers.what.they.thought.131986

Yes I realize it's one survey, but I haven't seen any others that represents a sample of "average" customers. Polls on tech sites don't count. 

I don't see the 20% in the maccnn survey at all.  Can you copy/paste the exact passage?

I'm not saying my "1%" has any empirical evidence either.  So feel free to continue to discredit it....it's just what I believe to be the differentiator.

And like you said, if 1% equals 2M people... then yes, it's up to those 2M people to make a decision as to how to resolve their issue (buy an adaptor, buy a BT headphone, get a different phone, etc.).

I would say that EVERY single technological CHANGE concluded in some people being CONCERNED about the change.