Tim Cook email response tells sender to 'stay tuned' for Mac refresh

Comments

• Reply 21 of 58
    jungmark said:
    Stay tuned? MacTV set, guys!
    Confirmed! (and Gene Munster just soiled himself)
    xzu
  • Reply 22 of 58
    I would be surprised to see no refresh in October/November. That's just in time for the holiday gift season. I don't think Tim or his assistant(s) would reply in such a way if that were not the case.
    jahajapalomine
  • Reply 23 of 58
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,095member
    bdkennedy said:
    The iMac hasn't had a redesign in 4 years. I believe that's the longest the iMac has ever gone. If they got rid of the 3.5" hard drive, they could make it super thin. And I think it's time to bring the iPhone colors over.
    It's an amazing design and if all you seem to care about is that they can make it "thinner", then that's just not enough for me.  Four years later, it's still one of the best looking machines out there.  I'll leave it up to Apple to make any design change as they see fit.  Chaining for the sake of change as you're implying is just the wrong thing to do.
    oldbluegmc50hexclocknolamacguyzoetmbbaconstangjahajaMacProargonaut
  • Reply 24 of 58
    Prefer they wait a few extra for Kaby Lake personally. I've waited this long.. would prefer to get the newly releasing CPU if possible. Especially since it has even more efficiencies and built in TB3.1 and USB 3.1 standards..
    oldbluegmc50zoetmbstompy
  • Reply 25 of 58
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    sflocal said:
    bdkennedy said:
    The iMac hasn't had a redesign in 4 years. I believe that's the longest the iMac has ever gone. If they got rid of the 3.5" hard drive, they could make it super thin. And I think it's time to bring the iPhone colors over.
    It's an amazing design and if all you seem to care about is that they can make it "thinner", then that's just not enough for me.  Four years later, it's still one of the best looking machines out there.  I'll leave it up to Apple to make any design change as they see fit.  Chaining for the sake of change as you're implying is just the wrong thing to do.
    It is an amazing design, indeed. It is the one Apple device I am not too bothered about in terms of a re-design, though I am not sure I agree that changing is the wrong thing to do even it is just for the sake of change. We all change stuff that we do for no other reason than not to get bored. It could be something as mundane as a regular route home, or a style of shirt. It doesn't matter what, you do it because familiarity and repetition gets boring. From a business perspective it is good both to change and not to change - stay the best, stay cutting edge, stay reliable etc, but keep it fresh, keep surprising, keep developing. Good design evolves and to do nothing is to go backwards. I wouldn't say Apple is going backwards in terms of design (design as in looks), but it sure has slowed down. To repeat the key question asked in the article I linked to earlier - what is the last Apple product that REALLY excited you? Of the people asked most answered the iPhone 4 or 5. That is a while ago.
  • Reply 26 of 58
    mac_128 said:
    I fully expect them to. Especially since they didn't offer any kind of adapter to use the Lightning headphones with anything else. The leaked photos of the MBP case show a blank spot there Lightning could go where the MagSafe connector  was, which is kind of perfect since Lightning is the de facto charging method throughout Apple's products.

I just can't imagine someone buying an iPhone 7 and new MBP, and being told they'll need an adapter (which does not yet exist) to use their Lightning headphones that came with their iPhone, with their Macs, much less if buy a brand new pair of Beats, or third party, Lightning headphones.

Right now is somebody asked how they would do that, Apple's only solution would be to use the 3.5mm adapter included in the box and buy a new pair of 3.5mm headphones, or use an old pair they may have. Apple really didn't think this whole thing out.
    Seems to me there's an easy solution to all of this: USB-C becomes the defacto physical standard for pretty much everything, which is what it's well on its way to doing including audio.  Then you wouldn't need an additional Lightning port on your computer, nor a headphone jack; just plug into one of the USB-C ports that are (or will be) there.

Of course, that means Apple would have to switch to USB-C on the iPhone.  Not holding my breath on that.
    baconstang
  • Reply 27 of 58
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    it seems this is because the Lightning pair has a carrying case that plugs in, similar to the AirPods, while the other two don't and the micro plugs directly into the headphones.
    Besides that logic being flawed Beats X don't have a carry case charger. They ship with the same black Lighting cable the Pill+ comes bundled with.

http://i.imgur.com/Yq1W214.jpg
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 28 of 58
    toddzrx said:

Seems to me there's an easy solution to all of this: USB-C becomes the defacto physical standard for pretty much everything, which is what it's well on its way to doing including audio.  Then you wouldn't need an additional Lightning port on your computer, nor a headphone jack; just plug into one of the USB-C ports that are (or will be) there.

Of course, that means Apple would have to switch to USB-C on the iPhone.  Not holding my breath on that.
    It seems to me we need a further iteration of USB (beyond C) that's reversible, at least as thin as Lightning and is designed to be waterproof as well. Then Apple would have no excuse but to adopt the standard and every port on the planet could adopt it. It'd certainly be tiny enough for any device and for everything else there's wireless. USBc is still too large IMO.
    edited September 2016 jahaja
  • Reply 29 of 58
    Any 10 series GPU in the new MacBook pros would be amazing
  • Reply 30 of 58
    ireland said:
    It seems to me we need a further iteration of USB (beyond C) that's reversible, at least as thin as Lightning and is designed to be waterproof as well. Then Apple would have no excuse but to adopt the standard and every port on the planet could adopt it. It'd certainly be tiny enough for any device and for everything else there's wireless. USBc is still too large IMO.
    What stops something like the Smart Connector from being a high-rate, multi-use data port like USB/Thunderbolt? Physical complexity of the pattern required?

Rather than insertion ports, why not move to smooth, magnetized ports?
    baconstang
  • Reply 31 of 58
    ireland said:
    What stops something like the Smart Connector from being a high-rate, multi-use data port like USB/Thunderbolt? Physical complexity of the pattern required?

The main thing against them is they need to be practically removable, so the magnet cannot be too strong, but if it get a tug them rather than pulling your computer a few inches you get data corruption.
  • Reply 32 of 58
    ireland said:

the SC has three pins, which aint much. sure you could increase the number of contacts and make them smaller, but while I'm no electrical engineer, having them exposed on the outside of device would seem more prone to dirt & damage that a port. just my guesses tho.
    baconstang
  • Reply 33 of 58
    the SC has three pins, which aint much. sure you could increase the number of contacts and make them smaller, but while I'm no electrical engineer, having them exposed on the outside of device would seem more prone to dirt & damage that a port. just my guesses tho.
    But isn’t it more of a waterproof, flat-sided seal? And how is it more prone to getting dirty than a port, which is literally a HOLE where dirt can form?

Compare innies and outies and the dirt gathered within them.  :p
  • Reply 34 of 58
    I am afraid to say anything because everyone will be jumping on my back calling me an Apple "basher." I do not believe anything Apple says anymore especially concerning with the Mac computer line up. The main concern for Apple is the iOS devices mainly the iPhone. Despite poor sales, Apple is still pushing the iPads by falsely marketing it as a PC replacement but it still can not run computer programs and can not plug in external hard drives for media access. Apple does not care about the Mac line up because of it's lack of consistent updating. Apple will update part of a notebook line up then months later update the iMacs. The Mac Pro has become the black sheep of the computer line up by it's lack of updates since 2013. I think Apple is riding the iPhone craze for now but now is worried because of it's sales hiccup. I just do not believe Apple.  
  • Reply 35 of 58
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    May likely be the last x86 Mac refresh.
  • Reply 36 of 58
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    I just cannot comprehend the removal of Mag Safe from MBPs.  It has saved my 2010 many times.
    baconstangpalomine
  • Reply 37 of 58
    welshdog said:
    I just cannot comprehend the removal of Mag Safe from MBPs.  It has saved my 2010 many times.
    When did they  remove Magsafe from MBP's?  Definitely not in 2015. 
  • Reply 38 of 58
    paxman said:
    I hefty Mac update will go a long way to make me excited about Apple product again. Don't get me wrong - I am a long time Apple user and I will be getting the iPhone7 which I am certain is the best smart phone out there, and I would not jump ship until things got REALLY bad (and a viable alternative presented itself) ... BUT... I find myself agreeing with this article. http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/08/technology/whats-really-missing-from-the-new-iphone-dazzle.html

Already read that article and it reflects that author's personal bias. He likes to re-write history a bit. 
    The way I remember tech pundits' reaction at the time, was that the iPhone was too small and other companies like Samsung were breaking new ground with bigger bolder designs. Around the same time as their "Next big thing campaign". 
    Of course if one looks at history as a whole and not cherry pick the parts to boost his/her arguments, we all know that when iPhone 6 came out it all blew their arguments out of the water. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 58
    emoeller said:
    It's all about the processors.   The sooner Apple moves to its own chips the better....
    We have their M chips for the iPhones, A chips for the mobile devices, S chips for the watches, and now the W chip for the wireless Air Pods.  We're seeing Apple design their own chips rather than taking things off the shelf more and more.  It would seem to me that creating an entirely new chip (non x386 architecture) would be something they are contemplating considering the slowdown with Kaby Lake, and all.  It's been a good long while since we've had a shakeup in the processor world, and x386 has been great for us all, but the time might be right for Apple to create their own chips and have Intel manufacture them.
    watto_cobraargonaut
  • Reply 40 of 58
    jahaja said:
    Am just happy i dont read the comments on macrumors. What a lost site and lost audience... all soaked up in negativity. Sad. 
    You mean they've lost they're absolute, fanatical Apple can do no wrong lunacy POV that many here have (likely due to not being homeless on retirement is dependent on the APPL stock price)... then yeah.

What's been going on with the Mac is a disgrace... I've been heavy into Apple from a industry, employee, stock and personal friends perspective since 1977 and even I'm willing to call them out when they've lost it (remember the first post-Jobs era?)
    baconstangjumpcutter