Explosions prompt FAA to warn airline passengers against using Samsung Galaxy Note 7 in flight [u]

Comments

• Reply 21 of 62
    How long before Homeland Security classifies the Galaxy Note 7 as munitions?
    macseekerandrewj5790jbdragoncaliwatto_cobramagman1979
  • Reply 22 of 62
    ronnronn Posts: 654member

Apple's own public relations issue -- the elimination of the headphone jack from the iPhone 7 series -- is a decidedly less life threatening controversy than the global Galaxy Note 7 recall.
    What an asinine statement. The comparison is just stupid. The lack of a headphone jack isn't "life threatening" in any sense. Was this article even vetted by an editor?
    pscooter63mobiuslkruppRayz2016cali
  • Reply 23 of 62
    jdgazjdgaz Posts: 404member
    Killing the headphone jack while providing an in the box solution is hardly a PR issue. Exploding phones is.
    ronnmobiusmacseekerjfc1138equality72521lkruppSolijbdragoncaliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 62
    sog35 said:
    ireland said:
    sog35 said:
    And this is EXACTLY why Apple does not rush features like wireless charging and fast charging until they are absolutely ready.

All you trolls can continue to say iPhones are missing key features.
    Yup, no exploding phones for Apple.
    Your logic is a bit flawed. I think it's more a reflection of quality control and quality components. Samsung stands for nothing. The company's only motivator is profit.
    Samsung rushed the release of the Note7 to beat the iPhone 7 to the market.

That is my point. Apple does not rush things onto the market, while Samsung does. yet many trolls say Apple is behind because its not first on some features.

Not entirely true. The Note 5 was released the same time last year as well. I don't think it was specifically to beat the iPhone 7 to market, especially when they aren't really targeting the same users. And last year should have taught them that the iPhone was going to slaughter them regardless of when they release it.

However I do agree that Samsung does rush a lot of things out just so they can be first with a bullet list of features.
    ronnwatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 62
    sog35 said:
    ireland said:
    sog35 said:
    And this is EXACTLY why Apple does not rush features like wireless charging and fast charging until they are absolutely ready.

Your logic is a bit flawed. I think it's more a reflection of quality control and quality components. Samsung stands for nothing. The company's only motivator is profit.
    Samsung rushed the release of the Note7 to beat the iPhone 7 to the market.

That is my point. Apple does not rush things onto the market, while Samsung does. yet many trolls say Apple is behind because its not first on some features.

Not entirely true. The Note 5 was released the same time last year as well. I don't think it was specifically to beat the iPhone 7 to market, especially when they aren't really targeting the same users. And last year should have taught them that the iPhone was going to slaughter them regardless of when they release it.

However I do agree that Samsung does rush a lot of things out just so they can be first with a bullet list of features.
    Samsung even names their products to copy the leader. The Samsung Galaxy Note 7 has a "7" in it because of the iPhone 7. And that's been the case for a while.
    edited September 2016 equality72521jbdragoncaliwatto_cobramagman1979
  • Reply 26 of 62
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    lkrupp said:
    The schadenfreude is strong with this Note 7 my young Padawans.
    Samsungfreude in this case.
    SpamSandwichmobiuslkruppcaliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 62
    sockrolid said:
    lkrupp said:
    The schadenfreude is strong with this Note 7 my young Padawans.
    Samsungfreude in this case.
    As for me, I'm delighted with this unexpected turn of events.
    jbdragoncaliwatto_cobramagman1979
  • Reply 28 of 62
    staticx57 said:
    But but but everyone was just going to turn a blind eye to this because it isn't Apple.
    there was way more national coverage of "bendgate" and "anntenagate" which didn't even involve recalls or do damage, such as burning people's cars:

edited September 2016 SpamSandwichronnSolijbdragoncaliwatto_cobramagman1979
  • Reply 29 of 62
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    apple ][ said:
    slurpy said:
    I'm flying next week and don't want any of these fucking things on the plane with me. Woe is me, if I'm taken out by a fucking Smasung phone. 
    My crystal ball tells me that you will be seated next to a 365 LB Fandroid that ends up occupying 45% of your seat, and 30 minutes into the flight they will proudly take out their brand new Galaxy Note 7 and they will begin watching a movie on it, while the seat behind you is occupied by a 4 year brat that keeps kicking the back of your seat, while the child's mother is sleeping, who does not give a shit.

Sounds like every damn flight I've been on. Not to mention being loaded on the plane then waiting on the tarmac for an hr, and again on landing. Anyway if the person beside me pulls out a Note 7 I will request to move and will immediately notify the attendant to confiscate their phone. 
    ronncalimagman1979
  • Reply 30 of 62
    staticx57 said:
    But but but everyone was just going to turn a blind eye to this because it isn't Apple.
    there was way more national coverage of "bendgate" and "anntenagate" which didn't even involve recalls or do damage, such as burning people's cars:

Do you have the original story link where you got this image? Asking for a friend. :smiley: 
    edited September 2016 watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 62
    mobiusmobius Posts: 380member
    It's not just that, the Consumer Products Safety Commission just announced anyone who owns these to power them down AND STOP USING THEM ENTIRELY.

See your local breaking news.

https://twitter.com/cnbc/status/774342331344576512

BREAKING: Consumer Product Safety Commission tells consumers to turn off & stop using Samsung Galaxy Note7 devices

Samsung Gallery Note 7s? You'd think a prerequisite of a news presenter would be to be able to read properly and speak clearly. lol

I wonder how many will opt for a replacement Note 7 or choose a different smartphone. Personally, I would not feel at all comfortable using a phone from a company with this kind of dangerous problem, even if it was a replacement. And I think I'd say that regardless of the company - even Apple. I've never liked Samsung anyway. Couldn't have happened to a more deserving company!
    edited September 2016 SpamSandwichronncaliwatto_cobramagman1979
  • Reply 32 of 62
    www.google.co.uk/amp/www.cnet.com/google-amp/news/man-claims-galaxy-note-7-caught-fire-blew-up-jeep/?client=ms-android-samsung

A simple Google search will throw up the story.
    SpamSandwichjbdragoncali
  • Reply 33 of 62
    mobiusmobius Posts: 380member
    ronn said:

Apple's own public relations issue -- the elimination of the headphone jack from the iPhone 7 series -- is a decidedly less life threatening controversy than the global Galaxy Note 7 recall.
    What an asinine statement. The comparison is just stupid. The lack of a headphone jack isn't "life threatening" in any sense. Was this article even vetted by an editor?
    I suppose if you accidentally shoved a headphone jack into the Lightning port which made contact with the battery pin and the sudden surge in power blew your ears clean off? But yeah, not exactly life-threatening...
    edited September 2016 ronnbaconstangjbdragoncali
  • Reply 34 of 62
    sog35 said:

THANK YOU!!!!!! Had this argument yesterday!
    calinolamacguywatto_cobramagman1979
  • Reply 35 of 62
    Sheeze, yeah, now the guy over there that hides his phone every time the attendant walks by, now I have to check his phone model also?  I will not be popular on my next flight.
    calimagman1979
  • Reply 36 of 62
    "Warning passengers"... great.  Will have the same effect as asking them to put into airplane mode... ZERO!
  • Reply 37 of 62
    http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/safety_concerns_with_li_ion
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/feb/23/lithium-ion-batteries-banned-as-cargo-on-passenger-flights
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/08/02/exploding-iphone-leaves-man-with-third-degree-burns/
    http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/more-exploding-iphones/

What's at fault?  Dodgy charger, the battery manufacturing Quality Control process, or both?  While Lithium Ion batteries are generally considered to be safe (else there would be no smartphones), there is still a risk.  If the manufacturing process/QC isn't up to much, you could be screwed.  If you use a badly made third party charger, you could be screwed.  It'd be nice if there was better battery tech that could do away with the uncertainties.
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 38 of 62
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,340member
    mbdrake76 said:
    Sigh.  The overall issue here is with lithium ion batteries full stop.  There is an inherent risk regardless. A search for "lithium ion battery fire" will enlighten people.  Issues with them have been in the news quite a bit over the years.  Is there a safer battery technology out there yet?  I doubt it.  It was Samsung's quality control/testing process that wasn't stringent enough during manufacturing that was one of the principal causes that lead defective batteries to go out to the public.

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/safety_concerns_with_li_ion

and

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/feb/23/lithium-ion-batteries-banned-as-cargo-on-passenger-flights
    Fuck all.

I don't think that Samsung can correlate battery lots with serial numbers. Outside of Note 7's sold into the China market, Samsung doesn't seem to have a clue of the scope of the hazard, and hence, the full recall.
    caliwatto_cobramagman1979
  • Reply 39 of 62
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,256member
    Wireless charging, in my opinion, is still very much a gimmick at this point. The device needs to be in contact with, or in very close proximity to, the charging pad. If you could walk around the house freely and have it charge, then you'd have something useful. I would rather take the extra 1.3 seconds to plug my phone in, and not burn my house down.  
    cali
  • Reply 40 of 62
    hexclock said:
    Wireless charging, in my opinion, is still very much a gimmick at this point. The device needs to be in contact with, or in very close proximity to, the charging pad. If you could walk around the house freely and have it charge, then you'd have something useful. I would rather take the extra 1.3 seconds to plug my phone in, and not burn my house down.  
    You know this is the result of wireless charging? You would think all the billions of other phones that came before with wireless charging and the billions of other phones that also have fast charging would have resulted in a lot more. The fact is the problem is not technology by the poor QC on this phone.

Seriously, this phone was rushed to market to beat the iPhone 7 and this is the result. It is not the result of wireless charging being the devil.
    edited September 2016 jbdragoncaliwatto_cobra