Failed iOS 10 installs force users to plug into iTunes for restoration of 'bricked' device [u]

Comments

• Reply 21 of 90
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    Every single year. How does Apple managed to fuck this up every single year?

Thier official statement is that there was an issue for the first hour and they are sorry, but they have fixed it now.

How can they release a file that requires an iTunes restore for every OTA update on iPhone 6s models, did they not bother to test it beforehand......

Amateur hour.
    edited September 2016 califreshmaker
  • Reply 22 of 90
    OTA update to iOS 10 bricked my SE. Never had this problem before, so it scared me. Read a few posts on Insider about using iTunes as an alternate way to update, or in my case, to recover from an update. So, I loaded iTunes SW on my Windows PC at work and closely watched a 2.16 GB download, including a firmware update. Took a while, but now my SE appears to be as good as new. Love the new iOS 10, but the downloading process really has some issues this time around. Strongly recommend a full backup to iCloud BEFORE this, or any other iOS update.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 90
    foggyhill said:
    Good grief, this thing has gone through 8 betas... I've had it updated that many times.

If you don't back up your shit before a major upgrade, you are an idiot.
    You're also an idiot if you immediately upgrade as soon as the update is available.  Always wait a week to see if anything is found.  Looking forward to giving it a go next week!  Looks really good
    nonsense. all my data is backed up so what do I care if there's some minor issue? the value I derive in that week is worth the "risk". 
    [Deleted User]doozydozenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 90
    foggyhill said:
    Good grief, this thing has gone through 8 betas... I've had it updated that many times.

If you don't back up your shit before a major upgrade, you are an idiot.
    You're also an idiot if you immediately upgrade as soon as the update is available.  Always wait a week to see if anything is found.  Looking forward to giving it a go next week!  Looks really good

Why should we have to wait? If its available then we should assume Apple has done the necessary testing to make sure it works properly and just download it. 
    cali
  • Reply 25 of 90
    ScoM said:
    Why anyone would perform an iOS upgrade over the air is beyond me..
    Because Apple prompts them to. It's really that simple.
    zroger73caligtrsingularity
  • Reply 26 of 90
    ScoM said:
    Why anyone would perform an iOS upgrade over the air is beyond me. You should ALWAYS perform a full backup of any device before upgrading the OS. The only way to do that on a mobile device is by connecting to a computer and backing up via iTunes. Then performing the OS upgrade while still connected is a no-brainer. Even Apple suggests this as the better process.
    1. I'm willing to bet OTA is by far the way most are updated. I've never had an issue updating anything iOS until today OTA. 

2. If you have iCloud backups enabled your phone is always backed up, however yes you should make it run a backup before updating just in case. 

3. Where does Apple suggest this as a better process vs OTA? Link please???
    zroger73[Deleted User]calijbdragon
  • Reply 27 of 90
    macxpress said:

Why should we have to wait? If its available then we should assume Apple has done the necessary testing to make sure it works properly and just download it. 

You don't "have" to wait. But it's prudent. Just like not driving over freshly-painted road lines; they're probably dry but they may not be. Why take the chance? 

If you do take the chance, thank you. You're the one the rest of us are waiting to hear from. If something goes wrong with yours, we will know to wait. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 90
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Always wait a week to see if anything is found.  
    If everybody waits a week to update, if that is the smart move, then the even smarter move is to wait 2 weeks to update, to be truly sure, as many people won't be updating until a week has passed, according to your logic.

Hell, let's just wait a whole fucking month maybe. 
    [Deleted User]macxpressdachargtr[Deleted User]
  • Reply 29 of 90
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    Not only does this chart show just how long an iPhone can be updated with each year's new OS (now up to nearly five years, on average), but it also implies that next year's iOS version won't support any iPhone that doesn't have a 64-bit processor.  And that means it won't need to include any 32-bit code or libraries.  It should therefore be smaller in storage and memory, perform better, and include a number of optimizations, leaving Android even farther behind.  Sweet.

edited September 2016 zroger73dachargtrdoozydozenpscooter63stevehration alwatto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 90

I don't think people understand the meaning of bricked anymore. Then again, people change the meaning of words all the time these days when they're too lazy to find the right one to use.

mrboba1h2pdoozydozenpscooter63stevehwatto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 90
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    Now there's reports of users being unable to access their iCloud Music Library after updating iTunes to 12.5. No doubt it will get sorted quickly tho.
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 32 of 90
    According to the update in the article, Apple has corrected the problem with OTA...

Who want's to be the beta tester? :)

BTW, updated my iPhone 6S+ and iPad Pro 9.7 WiFi via iTunes using full IPSW obtained from ipsw.me, and all is good, though the iPad was initially a bit choppy at responsiveness just after iOS 10 installation...
  • Reply 33 of 90
    ktappe said:
    ScoM said:
    Why anyone would perform an iOS upgrade over the air is beyond me..
    Because Apple prompts them to. It's really that simple.
    Why anyone would upgrade an app from the AppStore over the air is beyond me...

(/s for the sarcasm-challenged)
  • Reply 34 of 90
    My iPad Air 2 worked over wifi with no problems.   I had to plug iPad Pro 9.7 and iPhone 6s Plus into iTunes.  Didn't need to restore from backup though.  It just did the update as it would if you just connected to iTunes. 
  • Reply 35 of 90
    Updated to the iOS10 GM build a couple days ago, but don't see any update for WatchOS 3 showing?
  • Reply 36 of 90
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Updated fine on iPhone 5c!!
  • Reply 37 of 90
    Not only is my iPhone buggered totally, it has a black screen and nothing else, the iOS 10 update failure has made my Apple Watch apps stop working due to iPhone bricked!
  • Reply 38 of 90
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    both my iPhone 6s plus's have bricked. they are both backed up to icloud so will not lose anything eventually when I get them upgraded. Cant download via iTunes as it keeps timing out and saying it will take over 3 hours to download 10.0.1 after about 20 mins the phone restarts and cancels the download. getting error "an unknown error occurred (-39)"
    They're not "bricked", they still work.
    just more anti-Apple clickbait.
    jbishop1039pscooter63stevehwatto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 90
    Royfb said:
    Updated to the iOS10 GM build a couple days ago, but don't see any update for WatchOS 3 showing?
    You need the updated WatchOS app - is it part of the GM or a separate (invisible) install as part of the release?
  • Reply 40 of 90
    ScoM said:
    Why anyone would perform an iOS upgrade over the air is beyond me. You should ALWAYS perform a full backup of any device before upgrading the OS. The only way to do that on a mobile device is by connecting to a computer and backing up via iTunes. Then performing the OS upgrade while still connected is a no-brainer. Even Apple suggests this as the better process.
    Whether you, the tech community or Apple likes it or not, this logic becomes a problem when a user has a single computing device...the one that the update process just bricked.  I'm positive there will be some kind of on-device rollback mechanism built into these updates sooner than later.  (Or I hope so.)