Failed iOS 10 installs force users to plug into iTunes for restoration of 'bricked' device [u]

Comments

• Reply 61 of 90
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,312member
    I went and did the update at around 10:10am and did a OTA update into my iPhone 6.  It worked just fine.  I'm now trying to do another person's phone and Apple's servers are packed with iOS users trying to get the updates right now.  It was at 2 hours, went to 35 minutes ? And back to 4 hours to download.  That's pretty crazy.  I've had no luck with my Apple Watch.  Forever spinning busy.  
    aldolini
  • Reply 62 of 90
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    jbdragon said:
    I went and did the update at around 10:10am and did a OTA update into my iPhone 6.  It worked just fine.  I'm now trying to do another person's phone and Apple's servers are packed with iOS users trying to get the updates right now.  It was at 2 hours, went to 35 minutes ? And back to 4 hours to download.  That's pretty crazy.  I've had no luck with my Apple Watch.  Forever spinning busy.  
    Over a billion iPhones have now been sold.

Can you imagine how many people are updating their phones and iPads right now?

The servers are obviously going to be slammed.

No other updates on the planet even comes close to anything like this I would assume.
    equality72521pscooter63gtrwatto_cobra
  • Reply 63 of 90
    mike1 said:
    I think the word "bricked" is being overused here. If the update fails and you can restore the device using iTunes on the computer, then your unit is not "bricked".
    Not really, my iPhone will not turn on, I cannot restore or install updates, therefore my phone is bricked and non-operational, just a black screen.
  • Reply 64 of 90
    sog35 said:
    Why is it that every time Apple has an issue with OTA updates people come back with "use iTunes"? I'm sorry but that's an unacceptable answer.  One, if Apple is going to offer OTA updates they should work reliably. Two, I'm sure there are plenty of iPhone and iPad users who don't even use iTunes. You can easily set up and use an iOS device without ever having to connect to a PC or Mac. Making people install iTunes just to update their software (assuming they have a PC or Mac to install iTunes on) is bullshit.
    OTA works. Just wait a couple days after release.

It blows my mind why people are so impatient and need updates the first few hours of release.

Just wait 24-48 hours, let all the bugs settle and then update. No stress, no frustration.
    Remind me again where Phil Schiller or anyone else at Apple made this disclaimer? Are they telling people to wait 24-48 hours? Are they telling people the OTA update might fail so wait a few hours before trying? No and no. I'm sorry but this isn't Apple's first rodeo. We need to stop excusing amateur hour.
    macxpress
  • Reply 65 of 90
    An OTA whole-version upgrade is making to changing the engine while in flight. It can be done but failure is to be expected. Some folks just place too much reliance upon immortality.
    pscooter63
  • Reply 66 of 90
    Updated to the public beta RC over the weekend. Weird thing was that my iPhone 6 didn't go through the welcome setup screen (iCloud password etc), whereas my iPad did. Also, wifi wasn't working at first on the phone but seemed to be fixed by a reboot. 

Just checked and both neither need a new update to the release, both are 10.0.1.
  • Reply 67 of 90
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,401member
    JMW Media said:
    mike1 said:
    I think the word "bricked" is being overused here. If the update fails and you can restore the device using iTunes on the computer, then your unit is not "bricked".
    Not really, my iPhone will not turn on, I cannot restore or install updates, therefore my phone is bricked and non-operational, just a black screen.
    Right, but a lot of others were saying theirs were bricked and until they updated using iTunes. I said that if you could restore it, "bricked" is not the right word. It is clearly correct if it can not be resurrected somehow.
  • Reply 68 of 90
    Sake. OTA on three iPhones, three iPads, one watch and one ATV. Flawless. 
    watto_cobranouser
  • Reply 69 of 90
    JMW Media said:
    mike1 said:
    AppleCare call time for you. And likely a singular experience given all the reports out
    <edit>
    Possibly a number of esoteric reasons for it happening (older phone w/ dead battery, jailbroken phone that managed to get past Apple security checks, etc.
    </edit>
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 70 of 90
    mrboba1 said:
    ScoM said:
    Why anyone would perform an iOS upgrade over the air is beyond me. You should ALWAYS perform a full backup of any device before upgrading the OS. The only way to do that on a mobile device is by connecting to a computer and backing up via iTunes. Then performing the OS upgrade while still connected is a no-brainer. Even Apple suggests this as the better process.
    One has nothing to do with the other. I did OTA, and I have a backup. So what?
    OTA has never failed me before, so why should I have expected it to do so now?

Congrats on your first post.

Because OTA is riskier. Also, that iCloud backup is not as complete as an iTunes backup.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 71 of 90
    An Apple GSX bulletin says to plug into iTunes and run "update" NOT "restore"

And to restart the device if it has the "plug into itunes" screen
    edited September 2016 watto_cobra
  • Reply 72 of 90
    My phone had been down for 5 HOURS! I've tried restoring and upgrading through iTunes several time. I've updated everything on my computer and with iTunes. NOTHING WORKS. :(
  • Reply 73 of 90
    apple ][ said:
    Always wait a week to see if anything is found.  
    If everybody waits a week to update, if that is the smart move, then the even smarter move is to wait 2 weeks to update, to be truly sure, as many people won't be updating until a week has passed, according to your logic.

Hell, let's just wait a whole fucking month maybe. 
    That's a solid point!  My iPad mini is still rocking 7.1.2 and runs great!  
  • Reply 74 of 90
    iPad Pro updated in 50-minutes hitch-free; 5S nearly completed, just reaching the 1hour mark... Fingers crossed, 2 more devices to go...

UPDATE: iPad Pro & iPhone 5S updated hitch-free, IOS 10 UX looks snazzy and colourful, iPhone 5 nearly completed, iPad 3 to come next...
    edited September 2016 watto_cobra
  • Reply 75 of 90
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,338member
    vonbrick said:
    ScoM said:
    Why anyone would perform an iOS upgrade over the air is beyond me. You should ALWAYS perform a full backup of any device before upgrading the OS. The only way to do that on a mobile device is by connecting to a computer and backing up via iTunes. Then performing the OS upgrade while still connected is a no-brainer. Even Apple suggests this as the better process.
    Whether you, the tech community or Apple likes it or not, this logic becomes a problem when a user has a single computing device...the one that the update process just bricked.  I'm positive there will be some kind of on-device rollback mechanism built into these updates sooner than later.  (Or I hope so.)
    They aren't bricked !  Can we please stop saying that. It makes you sound ignorant and takes away from your point.  Also I think plugging in for a major update is smart. Less chance of any hiccups when you are downloading a couple of gigs of os prior to installing. I always do the incrimental update ota, and the whole # upgrades plugged via iTunes. It's worked well for me, with all of my households devices. 

watto_cobra
  • Reply 76 of 90
    There are now so many different Messages options, I find my head is spinning.
    aldolini
  • Reply 77 of 90
    Kamilton Prescription for all X.0 updates.

1.  Wait and read AI.
    2.  Add 48 hours
    3.  Buy Six Pack
    4.  iTunes back
    5.  Confirm iCloud back up
    6.  Open beer 1
    7.  Commence Update

Never has failed!  See you Friday
    fastasleepgtrfreshmakerpscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 78 of 90
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,906member
    I back up to iCloud and to my Mac. I don't use any automatic update functions for OS or apps.  When I do update the OS, I 100% always download the file first and do the update only after backing up.  Has never failed for me.  Not one issue ever.
    fastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 79 of 90
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    kamilton said:
    Kamilton Prescription for all X.0 updates.

1.  Wait and read AI.
    2.  Add 48 hours
    3.  Buy Six Pack
    4.  iTunes back
    5.  Confirm iCloud back up
    6.  Open beer 1
    7.  Commence Update

Never has failed!  See you Friday

Not bad. Here's an abbreviated alternate version:

1. Buy latest iPhone with all the latest software and hardware updates included.
    2. Become zen and one with the universe.

edited September 2016 kevin keewatto_cobra
  • Reply 80 of 90
    linkmanlinkman Posts: 1,046member
    OS upgrades on Apple have typically been painless for me. For my buddies that weren't stupid (i.e.: had some sort of backup on iTunes, iCloud, or Time Machine) and had a major problem they ended up getting their device wiped and then did a reload -- fairly painless. Almost every other report with something similar, even a simple OS upgrade like Windows to Windows with no "problems", ends up being a total data loss.

I've noticed that my iOS upgrades bring me back to nearly everything the same, even open tabs in Safari. The only stuff I have to redo are those related to security certificates which as far as I know can't be carried over due to the device key being different.