James Corden joins Eddy Cue, Jimmy Iovine and Bozoma Saint John in new Apple Music ad

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited September 2016
Late night talk show host James Corden on Sunday became the latest celebrity to feature in an Apple Music ad, with the "Carpool Karaoke" creator joining Apple executives Eddy Cue, Jimmy Iovine and Bozoma Saint John for a humorous TV spot that aired during ABC's presentation of the Emmy Awards.

In the two-minute ad, Corden acts as his own pitchman to the gathered panel of Apple execs, proposing a range of ideas as to how best tell users about Apple Music's vast selection of tracks and special features like offline listening.

Corden's first idea: he gives birth to Justin Bieber, who is giving birth to Red Hot Chili Peppers' frontman Anthony Kiedis, who is giving birth to a phone. A miss, Corden moves on, saying he should impersonate iconic rockstars like David Bowie, Slash and Pharrell (Pharrell himself shoots down the idea in a meta cameo).

As the gag goes on and the pitches become increasingly outlandish, Cue, Iovine and Saint John interject with the real ad's meat: Apple Music comes with thousands of curated playlists, contains 40 million songs, supports offline listening and more.

Apple has increasingly turned to A-list celebrities to push its streaming music product, with past endorsements coming from Taylor Swift and Mary J. Blige. While the company's top brass frequently show up onstage at industry events, rarely do they find themselves in TV spots.

Corden's tie to Apple Music comes in the form of a recently inked deal to furnish the service with an exclusive spinoff of his show's popular Carpool Karaoke segment. The bits, which often go viral on YouTube, find Corden picking up famous musicians in his car to beat Los Angeles traffic by meeting the city's minimum vehicle occupancy rules for carpool lanes. The sessions usually include brief interviews and guests singing along to their own hits.

Corden first collaborated with Apple earlier this month when he gave CEO Tim Cook the Carpool Karaoke treatment as a kickoff to the company's iPhone special event.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    I can't stand Cordon, so I'm skipping this spot. Just my opinion.
    ireland
  • Reply 2 of 24
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    I think this one works well.

What can't you stand about him. I don't watch his shows since it's just late night(?) fluff, but he seems like a nice guy, albeit a bit obnoxious for my tastes.
    radarthekat
  • Reply 3 of 24
    Soli said:

What can't you stand about him. I don't watch his shows since it's just late night(?) fluff, but he seems like a nice guy, albeit a bit obnoxious for my tastes.
    I just cannot stand his personality. Really gets on my nerves.
    ireland
  • Reply 4 of 24
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    Love Corden and his enthusiasm.  His show is the quirkiest of the late night shows.
    The spot was in keeping with his comedy style plus beautifully shot and edited.
    Will it help Apple Music?  Not sure.
    radarthekattmayjony0
  • Reply 5 of 24
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Ok is Pharrell an Apple employee? I must have missed the news but he's everywhere Apple is now.

Soli said:

He can't be as bad as Conan.
  • Reply 6 of 24
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Can easily be done by software update...
  • Reply 7 of 24
    I laughed my ass off. It was such a perfect commercial. We'll almost, the last like 15 sec or less than stellar, they could've left that out.

i thought the merger between Corden/Apple was gonna be cheesy. Like the intro to the keynote. But this ad was freakin perfect. Like well done. Good timing. Good jokes. Good acting from everyone. Pleasantly surprised. Too bad their YouTube video disabled comments. Would like to gauge the reactions to it. 
    radarthekatmdriftmeyerh2p
  • Reply 8 of 24
    xmhillx said:
    I laughed my ass off. It was such a perfect commercial. We'll almost, the last like 15 sec or less than stellar, they could've left that out.

i thought the merger between Corden/Apple was gonna be cheesy. Like the intro to the keynote. But this ad was freakin perfect. Like well done. Good timing. Good jokes. Good acting from everyone. Pleasantly surprised. Too bad their YouTube video disabled comments. Would like to gauge the reactions to it. 
    It will be full of Apple haters' as usual.
    lkrupptallest skilSpamSandwich
  • Reply 9 of 24
    matrix077 said:
    xmhillx said:

The funniest bit was the "why didn't you just give him water"... Instead of an Iphone :-).... Kind of subtle wink at "first world problem" Apple Music is "solving".
    lymftmayargonaut
  • Reply 10 of 24
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,328member
    My idea of a great commercial would be James Corden as the leader of the revolutionaries (the character Curtis played by Chris Evans) in the trailing cars of "Snowpiercer", attempting to breakthrough to the forward cars where music is created and widely available for the well to do.

welshdog
  • Reply 11 of 24
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    The best Apple ads and marketing in years followed one of the worst. Being a genuine apple executive is not enough of a reason to be in a commercial.  If they were going to attempt this commercial they should not have used real executives, but perhaps celebrities posing as executives—something focused more in humour from both sides. This didn't work for me.
    edited September 2016 mac_128SpamSandwich
  • Reply 12 of 24
    Fun, silly, informative.  Eddie's dialogue is great.  
  • Reply 13 of 24
    foggyhill said:
    matrix077 said:
    xmhillx said:

The funniest bit was the "why didn't you just give him water"... Instead of an Iphone :-).... Kind of subtle wink at "first world problem" Apple Music is "solving".

HA! HA!. And also before that when the boy begged "I'm thirsty" and he's gleaming with "Thirsty for new music?"
    LOL.
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 14 of 24
    Soli said:

You just don't like him because he's British and has what you think is an annoying accent....
  • Reply 15 of 24
    As I watched that ad I thought it was some bizarre parody of a Silicon Valley episode, I was embarrassed for Apple. 
  • Reply 16 of 24
    levilevi Posts: 344member
    spice-boy said:
    As I watched that ad I thought it was some bizarre parody of a Silicon Valley episode, I was embarrassed for Apple. 
    Ha ok. Most will find it amusing. You be embarrassed for the incredibly successful company. 
  • Reply 17 of 24
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,069member
    ...then I saw the poster. why am I not surprised? but thanks for your honesty.
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 18 of 24
    macxpress said:
    Soli said:

You just don't like him because he's British and has what you think is an annoying accent....
    To the contrary, I'm a fan of British humor and various English accents are typically no trouble for me to understand, even if I don't always get the references.
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 19 of 24
    cali said:
    Ok is Pharrell an Apple employee? I must have missed the news but he's everywhere Apple is now.

Soli said:

He can't be as bad as Conan.
    I'm OK with Conan in small doses. His YouTube clips are fine. An entire show? No.
  • Reply 20 of 24
    levi said:
    spice-boy said:
    Ha ok. Most will find it amusing. You be embarrassed for the incredibly successful company. 
    It doesn't matter how successful Apple is as a company, humor is a lot harder to pull off than mostly tech infused lifestyle advertisements Apple does best wth. I cringed at the lost child in a desert who was not offered water but a chance to listen to something from Apple Music. BTW even if you love Apple's products ( I do) it is okay to call them out for a lame ad now and then.