Apple allegedly in talks to buy self-balancing motorcycle outfit Lit Motors

Comments

• Reply 21 of 51
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    schlack said:
    If Apple did nothing but actually build the C-1 and made it all Apple-y they would have a killer product.
    If they built the C5 I might be interested.
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 22 of 51
    This reminds me of the Sinclair C5  from 1985.  Before it's release the rumours were that Sinclair were working on a revolution new car. What came out was a three wheeled pedal cart with an electric motor. A complete failure and probably this  led to the demise of an innovative computer company. Previously Sinclair had produced early electronic calculators and electronic watches. Surely nothing like that could possibly happen again.  /s
  • Reply 23 of 51
    those are already on the street, and used a lot by commuters. https://www.renault.co.uk/vehicles/new-vehicles/twizy/specifications.html
  • Reply 24 of 51
    Typical media...just keep throwing shit at the wall and see if it sticks. Then take all the credit for it. The McLaren deal wasn't true, so lets make up another one. 
    edited September 2016 calinolamacguywatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 51
    Cars are cool no doubt about it. But Apple should file this and the car project in the same place as the Apple television and Apple Vacuum cleaner.

if it doesn't fit in a tiny high margin cardboard box, Apple should forget about it.  I mean they have a great gig here. Everyone is envious about their little boxes they ship via ups with such high margins. Why get into high risk low profit territory with huge products that can mame and kill people. 
    Apple should focus on medical device technologies  that can dovetail with their other tiny box high margin products.
  • Reply 26 of 51
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    AppleInsider said
     In theory it should be able to keep a C-1 upright at all times, even in a T-bone collision.
    Ridiculous. If it got t-boned by a three thousand pound SUV not only would it not be balancing upright but the occupant would likely be deceased. That is why I don't own a small car or a motorcycle.
  • Reply 27 of 51
    Meh I'll keep my SUV thank you very much.
  • Reply 28 of 51
    ireland said:
    And tomorrow it's Ferrari.
    This must all be driving Samsung nuts ... "what to copy, what to copy?"
    They can buy Kia. 
  • Reply 29 of 51
    To put an end to all of the silly rumors and speculation, Apple should simply buy both of 'em!

Buy both McLaren and Lit Motors, and announce it on the same day! :#

Can you imagine what it's going to be like when Apple finally officially makes an announcement about their car project? 

It's probably going to be the biggest announcement ever in the history of Apple.
  • Reply 30 of 51
    Well with all these rumors Apple seems rudderless. Maybe they should get into boats and ships.
    They should put all their money into an unsinkable luxury ship.
  • Reply 31 of 51
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    apple ][ said:
    To put an end to all of the silly rumors and speculation, Apple should simply buy both of 'em!

Can you imagine what it's going to be like when Apple finally officially makes an announcement about their car project? 

It's probably going to be the biggest announcement ever in the history of Apple.
    This car nonsense is a total waste of time and resources.   Tesla is too far ahead in their development.   By the time Apple gets a car out in 2022 Tesla will be on their 6th or 7th vehicle.   Apple needs to concentrate on developing their software and services.
    qwwerasirlance99
  • Reply 32 of 51
    k2kw said:
    apple ][ said:

This car nonsense is a total waste of time and resources.   Tesla is too far ahead in their development.   By the time Apple gets a car out in 2022 Tesla will be on their 6th or 7th vehicle.   Apple needs to concentrate on developing their software and services.
    Not only that, Tesla has sunk a ton of money into itself over more than a decade and it still hasn't made a dime. 
    Secondly battery technologies vastly better than Tesla are on the cusp of viability. If Apple wants into this space, then it needs to have all the pieces in place before strapping tires onto anything. And even then, I still think it's a wrong fit for Apple.
  • Reply 33 of 51
    qwwera said:
    Why get into high risk low profit territory with huge products that can mame and kill people. 
    Apple should focus on medical device technologies  that can dovetail with their other tiny box high margin products.
    Valid question.

Apple may answer that one of their mission goals -- in addition to profit -- is attacking areas that cause problems / inconvenience to a large number of people. Transportation is one of those areas, and Apple seems to be exploring whether this can be the next area where they have a global impact on people's lives.

Your comment about medical device technology is another good area, and we've seen them hiring people in this space the past few years, so that seems to have some momentum already (despite only minimal announced products, so far).
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 34 of 51
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    qwwera said:
    Well with all these rumors Apple seems rudderless. Maybe they should get into boats and ships.
    They should put all their money into an unsinkable luxury ship.
    Rumours either made up or exaggerated by the media are proof that Apple is rudderless?
    tmaynolamacguy
  • Reply 35 of 51
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    flaneur said:
    jamiel said:
    A single-passenger commuter vehicle makes a lot of sense when a lot of vehicles on the road can seat 4+ people but most of the time only contain a driver.
    My favorite two-seater:

Love the Messerschmitt. The ragtop version in particular. I actually used to own a BMW very similar to the one on the right side at the back. It even had a sidecar. :)
  • Reply 36 of 51
    qwwera said:
    Why get into high risk low profit territory with huge products that can mame and kill people. 
    Valid question.

Apple may answer that one of their mission goals -- in addition to profit -- is attacking areas that cause problems / inconvenience to a large number of people. Transportation is one of those areas, and Apple seems to be exploring whether this can be the next area where they have a global impact on people's lives.

Your comment about medical device technology is another good area, and we've seen them hiring people in this space the past few years, so that seems to have some momentum already (despite only minimal announced products, so far).
    People think we have reached peak iPhone.  But that's because they don't get it. Apple with its new camera technologies that it is developing is but a tiny fraction of the possibilities left. It's all about sensors.
    Apple should forget cars and focus on buying as many start-up companies working on novel sensors that will add functionality to the little gadgets we hold in our hands. That's why I mention medical devices as an example. The iPhone, watch, EarPods and whatever else are just the very foundation of so much potential.

Cars, tires, windsheilds, ..let Tesla and Kia play with that. But Apple with their bread and butter little high margin devices have so much more potential, not just for profit, but for the betterment of people on a much grander scale.

yes the grass is greener and cooler on the other side, but Apple is in an enviable position with what it's got. I'd hate to see them squander their talent and resources on lesser and less profitable endeavors.
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 37 of 51
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    k2kw said:
    apple ][ said:

I admire Tesla for being the first to jump into the modern era of electric vehicles, and doing so in a manner to move the entire industry forward. 

Tesla as as a business isn't doing that great. 13 years in and still losing money - and not just due to investments in scale, but losing money on each car made still. They haven't been able to hit their production targets for years. Best case this year is about 80k vehicles (about 50k in 2015), in a market of about 90-100M units.  The model S is considered a very fast and best in class EV, but lacking in many comparable features of luxury vehicles in the 80-100k price range.  Lots of concern with the acquisition of Solar City. 

I hope Tesla is able to make it through, as I like their entrepreneurship, but they are hardly an unstoppable element in the future of personal or ride sharing transportation. 
    qwweranolamacguy
  • Reply 38 of 51
    The new Apple iSore! We go from a sexy McLaren to this nerd mobile? I actually laughed out loud looking at this thing.
    qwwera
  • Reply 39 of 51
    brucemc said:
    k2kw said:
    apple ][ said:

I admire Tesla for being the first to jump into the modern era of electric vehicles, and doing so in a manner to move the entire industry forward. 

Tesla as as a business isn't doing that great. 13 years in and still losing money - and not just due to investments in scale, but losing money on each car made still. They haven't been able to hit their production targets for years. Best case this year is about 80k vehicles (about 50k in 2015), in a market of about 90-100M units.  The model S is considered a very fast and best in class EV, but lacking in many comparable features of luxury vehicles in the 80-100k price range.  Lots of concern with the acquisition of Solar City. 

I hope Tesla is able to make it through, as I like their entrepreneurship, but they are hardly an unstoppable element in the future of personal or ride sharing transportation. 
    I love Tesla and musk. I like the daring, the coolness, the beauty of their cars. And I hope they make a great big dent in the universe. 
    But the reality beyond the romance, is they are skating on thin ice. One bump in the road and they could be done for. They are hanging by a thread. And holding that thread is one man in Elon Musk. If he ever sells the company I fear the company is done. 
  • Reply 40 of 51
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    qwwera said:
    qwwera said:
    Valid question.

People think we have reached peak iPhone.  But that's because they don't get it. Apple with its new camera technologies that it is developing is but a tiny fraction of the possibilities left. It's all about sensors.
    Apple should forget cars and focus on buying as many start-up companies working on novel sensors that will add functionality to the little gadgets we hold in our hands. That's why I mention medical devices as an example. The iPhone, watch, EarPods and whatever else are just the very foundation of so much potential.

Cars, tires, windsheilds, ..let Tesla and Kia play with that. But Apple with their bread and butter little high margin devices have so much more potential, not just for profit, but for the betterment of people on a much grander scale.

yes the grass is greener and cooler on the other side, but Apple is in an enviable position with what it's got. I'd hate to see them squander their talent and resources on lesser and less profitable endeavors.
    Cars are also about sensors, or they soon will be. Plus situational intelligence, connectivity, and above all, the ultimate user interface and experience — because they take you somewhere bodily.

People who think deeply about how they can make things that improve human life will be attracted to transportation as a software and hardware opportunity. The auto industry has been stuck in an imperiialistic, ego-based aggression trip for many years now, and it's ripe for revolution. 

The Jobs-Ive approach was always to strip things down to their essentials, ditch all the stupid frills, and find joy in the discovery of pure function. Why not help people move intelligently and sustainably for a change?
    nolamacguytycho24