KGI: iPhone 7 won't sell as well as the iPhone 6s

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 80
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    sog35 said:
    Ming Kuo is a piece of shit.
    Ohmygosh, somebody agrees with me.

Any half-assed analysis of iPhone 6S sales will immediately pick up on the fact that FQ1/2016 iPhone ASP was LOWER than the lowest priced iPhone 6S.  How can this be?  Its because the discounted 2nd tier iPhone 6 was still selling very strongly.Historically 2nd and 3rd tier iPhones account for about 20% of iPhones sold in any particular quarter.  During FQ1/2016 that percentage went up dramatically  Kuo is comparing iPhone 7 sales to iPhone 6S sales and determining that iPhone 7 sales are less than iPhone 6S sales when the truth is that actual iPhone 6S sales were measurably less than iPhone 6 sales.  He then increases his iPhone 7 sales estimate to 72 million to 75 million, which contradicts his earlier statement.

I'm not interested in how many iPhone 7s Apple sells.  I'm interested in how many iPhones IN TOTAL Apple sells.  If Apple only sells 69 million I'm ignoring the hopelessly contradictory WS reports/estimates of iPhone 7 sales.

For me, I'm taking the average bi-annual growth rate from the prior 3 years,

iPhone 5S over iPhone 4s bi-annual growth rate = 37.74%
    iPhone 6 over iPhone 5 bi-annual growth rate = 55.83%
    iPhone 6S over iPhone 5s bi-annual growth rate = 46.55%

and reducing it by 2 standard deviations and a factor to account for FX headwinds to formulate my total iPhone unit sales estimate for the December quarter.  My total iPhone unit sales estimate for the December quarter is 91.960 million units.

My iPhone 7 over iPhone 6 estimated bi-annual growth rate = 23.49%.  Note that the iPhone 7 bi-annual growth rate is about half the average of the prior 3 years and less than the lowest of those 3 years.  Also note that neither of the sample years had an iPhone SE offering.

When thinking of why people upgrade it should be kept in mind that the 3 most important reasons to upgrade are:
    #1.  Battery.  A 2 year old battery only recharges to about 60% of its original capacity.
    #2.  Camera. There is no doubt that the dual lens camera is far superior to the camera in the iPhone 6.  Camera software in either iPhone is superior to any prior iPhone.
    #3.  Storage.  The iPhone 7 has double the storage of any previous iPhone.  Then there's consumer feature wish lists.  Number one on that list is WATER RESISTANCE.

No matter what the nattering nabobs of negativity say, the iPhone 7 nailed to reasons that drive consumer upgrades, and we haven't even addressed switchers (ignoring the exploding Note 7 issue).
    This post can't be read too many times.  Someone that has done some actual investigation of the growth rate spread out over years (not just last year), taking a conservative approach to that given market saturation, adjusting for the additional week, and considering the 3 most important upgrade criteria.

Forgotten in the discussion of lengthening iPhone upgrade cycles, is that these devices do not last as long as a PC, given the conditions in which they operate, and how much they are used in a day.  Between accidents and wear, many people are looking at getting a new device after 3 years, even if from a pure features perspective, they don't think an upgrade for that reason is necessary.
  • Reply 62 of 80
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    #1.  Battery.  A 2 year old battery only recharges to about 60% of its original capacity.
    Bullshit.
    SpamSandwichpalomine
  • Reply 63 of 80
    jannl said:
    "I skipped the 6S Plus for the first time. No way I'm skipping the 7 Plus. It's a beast compared to my 6 Plus."
    Bit difficult to understand...
    He has the 6+, he skipped the 6S+, he's buying the 7+. Not so difficult.
    ronn
  • Reply 64 of 80
    Ming is one annoying fella. Now he advising shareholders to sell their stocks to lock in value. This reeks stock manipulation and AppleInsider is propogating the manipulation. 

Ming also adjusted his original sales estimate upward by 10+ million due to the Note 7 exploding battery not due to more people aiming for the dual cameras nor due to him being wrong. 

Lastly Ming is saying the iPhones 7/Plus will sell less than the iPhones 6S/Plus. Well, it looks like Ming is paying too much attention to stock manipulation because his revised sales estimate puts IPhones 7/Plus in the iPhones 6/Plus sales territory. And wie all know the 6S/Plys sold less than 6/Plus. 
    SpamSandwichronn
  • Reply 65 of 80
    jungmark said:
    They why isn't "extinction event" leading any poll?
    Because the marxist of whom you speak already sold out to Hillary.

edited September 2016
  • Reply 66 of 80
    I predict that Apple will sell 1 billion iPhone 7s'.

Oh noes! They only sold 8% of my bullshit made up numbers. This is conclusive proof that Apple is doomed and peak iPhone.

There you go Kuo, can I have a job?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 67 of 80
    xmhillx said:
    tycho24 said:
    What?????! Lol.
    Sooooooo.... are you trying to say that nobody knew iPhone 7+ was going to have dual cameras before the initial estimates were made?? They were wrong because: the "unexpected" dual camera is a selling point?? I don't think I could come up with a more idiotic & hard to defend stance if I tried...
    No......no. Why add shit to what people say, you're just like the dude I replied to. It's like you're 12 years old and can't critically read or think.

You start off with asking if I'm trying to say that, then conclude that I did. 

I spelled out 4 points that contribute to a different estimate. As elementary as I could make it. And you try to pin it down to only one. Wtf is wrong with you. A dumb fuck trying to tell you you're a dumb fuck.

Underestimating the interest in the dual camera could be a factor in low initial sales estimates, but it's not the only factor nor is it overwhelmingly the biggest factor. The general public wasn't aware about the dual camera until it was announced, they just buy iPhones cuz they're new iPhones. Some see a new dual lens camera and are even more swayed to buy it cuz they've never seen one before cuz they don't really pay attention to the entire smartphone market. It's not unfathomable that the amount of those ppl was underestimated and contributes to a higher estimate; keyword contributes. Along with the other 3 contributing factors I spelled out. Doesn't mean it alone makes up the whole reason for low estimates. Dumb ass
    10 million is a HUGE margin to miss by.

Lol, you can stomp & swear, and call me names, like a small child throwing a tantrum all you want... it does NOT further your point.
    There's no "reason" for an analyst to be that far off. It was just a bad guess. End of.
  • Reply 68 of 80
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    I've got a lousy hunch Apple is going to under-perform all other tech stocks as far as share gains again in 2016, including Microsoft. All of Apple's value seems to hang upon how many iPhones can be sold and this year isn't going to cut it. Why can't Apple manage to diversify like other tech companies? It's almost certain Apple isn't going to make any major acquisitions and it will probably need to in order to boost the value of the company. I'm not blaming Apple for not being able to sell more iPhones because I know the smartphone market is mostly saturated. I just don't understand why they didn't start a cloud computing business like all the other tech companies did. Wall Street seems to think that every company with cloud services is going to do well and that leaves Apple out in the cold. It's just that the other tech companies make gains so easily while Apple struggles just to gain a $1 in a week. It seems so odd how Apple always comes out on the bottom as far as the big investors are concerned. Apple should at least try to do something to attract investors other than trying to sell more iPhones. Of all the major tech companies only Apple can't lose the doom and gloom surrounding the company. There has to be a reason for that.
    The iPhone is pretty much the greatest selling product by revenue/year of all-time.  By comparison, nothing else "moves the needle".  Whatever Apple brings out (like the Apple Watch) will take years to build into anything you (or anybody else) would consider a legitimate "diversification".

Just give Apple time to develop their next big thing.  It isn't gonna be easy to replace the iPhone or even get something on par, for that matter.
    Soli
  • Reply 69 of 80
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Hey experts, you can knock it off now, I already sold several thousand AAPL shares at 115.70 the day before release and bought back at 112 thanks to false rumors.  You can go back to real stories now.  See you next product release, and thanks again.
  • Reply 70 of 80

When thinking of why people upgrade it should be kept in mind that the 3 most important reasons to upgrade are:
    #2.  Camera. There is no doubt that the dual lens camera is far superior to the camera in the iPhone 6.  Camera software in either iPhone is superior to any prior iPhone.
    #3.  Storage.  The iPhone 7 has double the storage of any previous iPhone.  Then there's consumer feature wish lists.  Number one on that list is WATER RESISTANCE.

Is this feature list your own or is this sourced from actual polling data?  Just wondering, not trolling.  My own upgrade criteria are way different.
  • Reply 71 of 80
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    gatorguy said:
    sog35 said:
    Ming Kuo is a piece of shit.

So iPhone7 will sell 10 million more units then he expected because Note7 problems? Giving a fuking break you piece of shit ANALyst. The Note7 only sold 1.5 million units at launch. And you SERIOUSLY think 10 million Note7 customers will buy iPhone7 instead?
    Not just the Note 7's are impacted IMHO. Samsung's entire line of 7's has been painted with the broad brush of battery explosions. I don't have any doubt at all that Apple will sell a few million iPhone's that they otherwise may not have without the Samsung Note issues. Between folks just hearing about the batteries and not understanding what models were involved and carriers having only the new iPhone 7's to pitch as "free" instead of it and the Note's to use as a draw for new customers Apple is coming out smelling pretty nice, while Samsung smells a bit rank. 
    Apple should be able to easily beat iPhone6S+ and iPhone6S+ sales.     They should be also able to  equal iPhone 6 and iPhone 6+ sales in light of the negative publicity that Samsung has received.  If they beat the numbers for the iPhone6 and 6S, it will be a big success otherwise Apple will have a big problem.   Cook will need to get the Mojo back.   But we really won't know this until the 2017Q1 results are announced in January.   It may take a little while longer for people to warm up to the lightning based audio and dropping the audio jack.   

Apple has to worry more about how late night talk shows presents this than stock analysts.

It's not good to be the butt of jokes.

• Reply 72 of 80
    JanNLJanNL Posts: 327member
    "I skipped the 6S Plus for the first time. No way I'm skipping the 7 Plus. It's a beast compared to my 6 Plus."
    Bit difficult to understand..."

Can't find the "edit" button in the forums anymore...
    But, 
    apology darwiniandude, only after reading the 4th time I see the difference between 6S Plus and 6 Plus  :/
  • Reply 73 of 80
    fallenjt said:
    danny602 said:
    guscat said:
    Let me just throw my 2 cents in. I just got my iPhone 7 Plus last night. I am upgrading from an iPhone 6. While I am very happy with my new phone, I upgraded mainly because I wanted a larger phone. If I had the iPhone 6 Plus, I would not have upgraded. The new features are wonderful, but they're not enough to make me have wanted to upgrade if I already had a Plus. My phone cost almost as much as my MacBook Air did, and so I will be more hesitant to upgrade in the future. Unless next year's phone blows me away, I will keep this phone for at least 3 years, possibly even longer.
    Thank you, allow me to join you and your 2 cents, I own a 6 plus and I'm not interested in anything about the 7 plus other then perhaps the upgraded camera, but not at $870.

When AT&T eliminated the two year contract option, they eliminated quite a few purchasers who will be reluctant to pay full price for an iPhone which doesn't greatly surpass the capabilities of their previous iPhone. I'd gladly purchase the iPhone 7 plus on a two year contract for $399, but that option is no longer available, my iPhone 6 plus is more then adequate for my particular needs, I'll wait for a groundbreaking iPhone 8 plus, or I'll stand pat thank you...
    Trust me, if you have 6+ like me, you want to upgrade. Beside the big screen, 6+ performance is quite not up to the task at this point. Try to upload a picture file to AI from mobile app and you will see. It crashes every time. That's why you need more than 1GB of RAM nowadays. I'm upgrading to 7 this year with ATT Free iPhone 7 program with 6+ trade in. Since I'll stay with ATT in the next few years anyway, it's considered a great upgrade $769-$649 = $120/24mo...yup $5/mo.
    I almost got suckered into that scam!
    Then they read me the fine print & I went ahead and politely told them to stick it. I sold my iPhone on eBay for $550, had to pay PayPal & eBay their cut of about $65 & STILL made out far, far, far better than this phony $650 AT&T scam.
    I'm sorry that you fell for it. =(
    Just so you know- if you decide to upgrade to the 2017 or the 2018 iPhone you do NOT get that $650 they agreed to give you.
    It's in the fine print...
    Your $650 discount is 100% contingent on you keeping that iPhone 7 for a full 24 months. 

Sorry to to be the bearer of bad news. =(

#dontshootthemessenger
  • Reply 74 of 80
    tycho24 said:
    fallenjt said:
    danny602 said:
    guscat said:
    Let me just throw my 2 cents in. I just got my iPhone 7 Plus last night. I am upgrading from an iPhone 6. While I am very happy with my new phone, I upgraded mainly because I wanted a larger phone. If I had the iPhone 6 Plus, I would not have upgraded. The new features are wonderful, but they're not enough to make me have wanted to upgrade if I already had a Plus. My phone cost almost as much as my MacBook Air did, and so I will be more hesitant to upgrade in the future. Unless next year's phone blows me away, I will keep this phone for at least 3 years, possibly even longer.
    Thank you, allow me to join you and your 2 cents, I own a 6 plus and I'm not interested in anything about the 7 plus other then perhaps the upgraded camera, but not at $870.

When AT&T eliminated the two year contract option, they eliminated quite a few purchasers who will be reluctant to pay full price for an iPhone which doesn't greatly surpass the capabilities of their previous iPhone. I'd gladly purchase the iPhone 7 plus on a two year contract for $399, but that option is no longer available, my iPhone 6 plus is more then adequate for my particular needs, I'll wait for a groundbreaking iPhone 8 plus, or I'll stand pat thank you...
    Trust me, if you have 6+ like me, you want to upgrade. Beside the big screen, 6+ performance is quite not up to the task at this point. Try to upload a picture file to AI from mobile app and you will see. It crashes every time. That's why you need more than 1GB of RAM nowadays. I'm upgrading to 7 this year with ATT Free iPhone 7 program with 6+ trade in. Since I'll stay with ATT in the next few years anyway, it's considered a great upgrade $769-$649 = $120/24mo...yup $5/mo.
    Then they read me the fine print & I went ahead and politely told them to stick it. I sold my iPhone on eBay for $550, had to pay PayPal & eBay their cut of about $65 & STILL made out far, far, far better than this phony $650 AT&T scam.
    Just so you know- if you decide to upgrade to the 2017 or the 2018 iPhone you do NOT get that $650 they agreed to give you.
    Your $650 discount is 100% contingent on you keeping that iPhone 7 for a full 24 months. 

#dontshootthemessenger
    Could you post this fine print? Better yet, could you post this "AT&T scam" where they say they will give you a new iPhone and then after 24 months give you $650?
  • Reply 75 of 80
    Soli said:
    tycho24 said:
    fallenjt said:
    danny602 said:
    guscat said:

#dontshootthemessenger
    Could you post this fine print? Better yet, could you post this "AT&T scam" where they say they will give you a new iPhone and then after 24 months give you $650?
    No problem!
    I'll at least give you some info... 
    You're on your own for hunting down the specifics, if you doubt what I share.
    I believe it's on AT&T's main website.
    I assure you, the original poster & I didn't just make up this offer, if that's what you were thinking?! *slightly bewildered*
    I worked for years in the wireless industry (sales), so I know to look closely when a deal seems "too good to be true".
    In this case: the "deal" is to turn in your 6S for a $650 credit towards an iPhone 7.
    Now, here is the ENORMOUS catch- your $650 bill credit comes in monthly installments over a period of either 24 or 30 months.
    So, your payments are either $21 or $27 per month, coupled with a credit of the same amount. Make sense so far?
    Ok, to simplify math for this next part we'll just say they're $25 even.
    At the end of 12 months, you'd have been given $300 credit even on your iPhone. You'd still "owe" the remaining $350, that would be paid out in your remaining bill credits.
    HOWEVER................... (& this is the crux of it right here!), at this time- it has been 12 months, so a NEW iPhone comes out.
    You simply cannot have two device charges on your account on the same line at the same time; so, to upgrade to the 2017 iPhone you'd have to 1st pay off the balance owed of $350 & you'd forfeit the remaining bill credits at that point. They were tied to the iPhone 7, on a particular line, over a set period of time. 
    So, in essence- if you want the 2017 iPhone & sign up for this "deal"; your ONLY option is that you only receive $300 of that $650 offered.

I know these deals can seem tricky & I hope I've explained that clearly.
    Please feel free to call an AT&T rep to confirm if you want; but I assure you: that's how it works.
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 76 of 80
    tycho24 said:
    Soli said:
    tycho24 said:
    fallenjt said:
    danny602 said:
    guscat said:

#dontshootthemessenger
    No problem! =)
    I assure you, the original poster & I didn't just make up this offer, if that's what you were thinking?! *slightly bewildered*
    I worked for years in the wireless industry (sales), so I know to look closely when a deal seems "too good to be true".
    In this case: the "deal" is to turn in your 6S for a $650 credit towards an iPhone 7.
    Now, here is the ENORMOUS catch- your $650 bill credit comes in monthly installments over a period of either 24 or 30 months.
    So, your payments are either $21 or $27 per month, coupled with a credit of the same amount. Make sense so far?
    Ok, to simplify math for this next part we'll just sat they're $25 even.
    At the end of 12 months, you'd have been given $300 credit even on your iPhone. You'd still "owe" the remaining $350, that would be paid out in your remaining bill credits.
    HOWEVER................... (& this is the crux of it right here!), at this time- it has been 12 months, so a NEW iPhone comes out.
    You simply cannot have two device charges on your account on the same line at the same time; so, to upgrade to the 2017 iPhone you'd have to 1st pay off the balance owed of $350 & you'd forfeit the remaining bill credits at that point. They were tied to the iPhone 7, on a particular line, over a set period of time. 
    So, in essence- if you want the 2017 iPhone & sign up for this "deal"; your ONLY option is that you only receive $300 of that $650 offered.

Please feel free to call an AT&T rep to confirm if you want; but I assure you: that's how it works.
    Thanks for the response. However, I'm not seeing the scam here. It's not the best deal on the market if you want to get a new iPhone every year—I believe that's with the iPhone Upgrade Program—but getting $300 off the retail price and getting to keep the device doesn't seem too bad.

With the iPhone Upgrade Program through Citizen's Bank via Apple, you pay the taxes and shipping you may have, plus the first of 24 installments. The 24 installments are based on the retail price plus AppleCare+. It's designed for those that like to upgrade with every new release and who get AC+, but it also allows you to keep your iPhone. There rule are 1) you must have been using the program for at least 6 months, and 2) have paid at 12 payments. If you've paid a 13th payment but have gotten a new iPhone it gets prorated into your account for the new iPhone.

The catch is that you have to turn the device over to Apple as a trade-in; however, that trade-in pays off 12 months of your remaining balance as well as negates any AC+ (I hated wasting a year of it and only found out last year you can get a prorated return on unused AC+). It's effectively nullifies your contact with Citizen's Bank but, again, you don't get to keep your phone. You saved $300 off the retail price for being with AT&T, plus you get to keep your old iPhone to sell. I would think $350 would be on par or a little lower than what you could get for it.

For me, not having to worry about selling it and not paying for 2x AC+ than I will use is the best option. My one gripe is that they will do a hard credit check every time you get a new iPhone, regardless of how well you paid them every month in the past. Hard checks do affect your credit score and stay on your report for 2 years. Having a 1–3 isn't a big deal in that timeframe, but 4 or more can be, and since in a 2 year timeframe you can have 3 of these checks from Citizens Bank in a 2 year span—it's been 1 year and I now have two checks—it's going to become an issue for iPhone Upgrade Program members whose credit drops and whose checks look excessive with as little as 2 and as much as 3 checks just for their annual iPhone.

• Reply 77 of 80
    Soli said:
    tycho24 said:
    Soli said:
    tycho24 said:
    fallenjt said:
    danny602 said:
    guscat said:

#dontshootthemessenger
    No problem! =)
    Ok, to simplify math for this next part we'll just sat they're $25 even.

Thanks for the response. However, I'm not seeing the scam here. It's not the best deal on the market if you want to get a new iPhone every year—I believe that's with the iPhone Upgrade Program—but getting $300 off the retail price and getting to keep the device doesn't seem too bad.

With the iPhone Upgrade Program through Citizen's Bank via Apple, you pay the taxes and shipping you may have, plus the first of 24 installments. The 24 installments are based on the retail price plus AppleCare+. It's designed for those that like to upgrade with every new release and who get AC+, but it also allows you to keep your iPhone. There rule are 1) you must have been using the program for at least 6 months, and 2) have paid at 12 payments. If you've paid a 13th payment but have gotten a new iPhone it gets prorated into your account for the new iPhone.

The catch is that you have to turn the device over to Apple as a trade-in; however, that trade-in pays off 12 months of your remaining balance as well as negates any AC+ (I hated wasting a year of it and only found out last year you can get a prorated return on unused AC+). It's effectively nullifies your contact with Citizen's Bank but, again, you don't get to keep your phone. You saved $300 off the retail price for being with AT&T, plus you get to keep your old iPhone to sell. I would think $350 would be on par or a little lower than what you could get for it.

For me, not having to worry about selling it and not paying for 2x AC+ than I will use is the best option. My one gripe is that they will do a hard credit check every time you get a new iPhone, regardless of how well you paid them every month in the past. Hard checks do affect your credit score and stay on your report for 2 years. Having a 1–3 isn't a big deal in that timeframe, but 4 or more can be, and since in a 2 year timeframe you can have 3 of these checks from Citizens Bank in a 2 year span—it's been 1 year and I now have two checks—it's going to become an issue for iPhone Upgrade Program members whose credit drops and whose checks look excessive with as little as 2 and as much as 3 checks just for their annual iPhone.

I hear you.... & to be clear:
    You DO have to trade in your 6S to get that "deal" on AT&T!
    That's what makes it a scam; it's nearly impossible to get the entire $650 in credits.
    So, in my case- I sold my 6S (64gb w/ case & screen protector) on eBay for $550. I decided I'd be ok with a 32gb iPhone 7, so my total out of pocket, after selling my iPhone 6S was $100!
    If I had went with their "deal"; they'd have got my 6S, ended up giving me $300 in credit over the next year; then I'd pay $350 to to finish paying it off to be able to get the 2017 iPhone. I'd pay well over triple the amount!!!!! 
    You have to be REALLY careful. From what I can tell: the best deal now on any carrier is to always pay full price upfront & sell your previous device- usually making your total out of pocket $200 or less. So, that's a one time $650 investment on your 1st phone, then about $200 per year to ALWAYS have the latest!!!! Not too bad really. =)
  • Reply 78 of 80
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    tycho24 said:
    fallenjt said:
    danny602 said:
    guscat said:

#dontshootthemessenger
    OMG! You have to keep the same phone for two years??? You've got to be kidding! What a scam!!!
  • Reply 79 of 80
    gatorguy said:
    tycho24 said:
    fallenjt said:
    danny602 said:
    guscat said:

#dontshootthemessenger
    OMG! You have to keep the same phone for two years??? You've got to be kidding! What a scam!!!
    notsureifserious

But, (and this MAY surprise you...) anybody willing to trade in a 6S to get credit towards a 7 (a very, very, very similar phone) most likely really does want to get a new phone every year!
    This "deal" is DEFINITELY getting misrepresented... it sounds like you just trade in your 6S & get a free 7! But clearly, AT&T wouldn't be one of the largest and most profitable companies in America if there was no catch & they're just handing out free iPhones.
    As I explained.... most people will have received about $300 for their 6S by the time they're ready for a new phone.