Government agency issues warning over 'exploding' Samsung washing machines

Posted:
in General Discussion
Samsung's standing with consumers became all the more tenuous on Wednesday when the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission warned owners of potential "safety issues" related to the company's top-loading washing machines.

Though an exact model went unspecified by the CPSC, the warning covers certain Samsung washing machines built between March 2011 and April 2016, reports CNN.

Today's news comes more than a month after a class-action lawsuit was filed against Samsung in New Jersey over "exploding" washing machines. Affected customers living in Texas, Georgia and Indiana claim to have heard a loud boom while washing clothes.

Since early 2015, the CPSC received reports of at least 21 similar occurrences, according to ABC News.

Some users suggest the problem lies with a rod supporting the machine's internal basket, which spins at high speeds during wash, rinse and spin dry cycles. One owner in Texas said her unit "exploded with such ferocity that it penetrated the interior wall of her garage," court filings reveal.

To alleviate potential stresses that could lead to malfunction, the CPSC suggests using a delicate cycle when washing bedding and water-resistant and bulky items as the practice "lessens the risk of impact injuries or property damage due to the washing machine becoming dislodged."

Samsung said much the same in a statement posted to its official website. The company is working with regulators to address potential safety issues

In rare cases, affected units may experience abnormal vibrations that could pose a risk of personal injury or property damage when washing bedding, bulky or water-resistant items.

Samsung is recommending that consumers with affected models use the lower speed delicate cycle when washing bedding, bulky or water-resistant materials. There have been no reported incidents when using this cycle.
Samsung's washing machine woes come amidst the Galaxy Note 7 debacle. Shortly after the first Galaxy Note 7 handsets hit store shelves in August, customers began to complain of battery fires. Photos and video of exploding handsets surfaced online at troubling rates, suggesting the issue was endemic to a vast number of shipped units. Problems progressed to the point where airlines banned the phone from being turned on or charged during flight, or restricted the device altogether.

As the scope of Samsung's Galaxy Note 7 plight became clear, the company issued a global recall thought to cost the company between $1 billion and $2 billion.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 44
    Never been Samsung fan on any product. I'm a LG guy when it comes to home appliances. 
    Seems like Samsung pays dearly this year for everything going wrong in their products.
    "The Next Big Thing Is Already Here" : explosive washer!
    calilolliverbaconstangpscooter63mobiusredgeminipawatto_cobrahotwifeVenusjahblade
  • Reply 2 of 44
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Hate to sound evil but I can't wait until one of these injures a person or burns down homes because that's what it'll take for the U.S. and Ssheep to start treating this company like the scumbags they are.
    magman1979boltsfan17jbdragonbadmonkcanadianduderedgeminipawatto_cobrajahblade
  • Reply 3 of 44
    With all these exploding products, maybe Samsung should become a defense contractor for the South Korean military. 
    lolliverbaconstangSpamSandwichcalichiastanthemanbadmonkredgeminipafrantisekwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 44
    This is huge because Samsung makes washing machines for other companies and they just get re-badged as Sears Kenmore, LG or Maytag, and I happen to own the Kenmore.
    magman1979calibadmonkredgeminipa
  • Reply 5 of 44
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    With all these exploding products, maybe Samsung should become a defense contractor for the South Korean military. 
    I think they already are. Samsung is by far the largest corporation in South Korea and has its tentacles in just about every existing business segment there. Samsung’s ruling family has tremendous influence in the country’s politics and policies.
    edited September 2016 magman1979r00fus1badmonkredgeminipajahbladejony0
  • Reply 6 of 44
    bdkennedy said:
    This is huge because Samsung makes washing machines for other companies and they just get re-badged as Sears Kenmore, LG or Maytag, and I happen to own the Kenmore.
    Who said LG rebadged Samsung Washers? Dude, get real. They're competitors!
    revenantcoolfactorr00fus1chiajbdragonpscooter63canadianduderedgeminipajahbladezroger73
  • Reply 7 of 44
    lkrupp said:
    I think they already are. Samsung is by far the largest corporation in South Korea and has its tentacles in just about every existing business segment there. Samsung’s ruling family has tremendous influence in the country’s politics and policies.
    you are very right about that. 
    badmonk
  • Reply 8 of 44
    Samsung should release a new teaser poster-- all black with burnt edges, and in the middle one very small word: boom
    badmonkredgeminipawatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 44
    Except the head of the family is down for the count and cannot run the business, and it's against custom (which they follow very seriously) for the son to take over until his father passes away.. Right now, it's the board thats basically running things and they are not doing so well.
    revenant said:
    lkrupp said:
    you are very right about that. 
    lightknightbadmonkwatto_cobrapatchythepirate
  • Reply 10 of 44
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    cali said:
    Hate to sound evil but I can't wait until one of these injures a person or burns down homes because that's what it'll take for the U.S. and Ssheep to start treating this company like the scumbags they are.
    I think it's enough that the company has no values, no need to wish someone's house to be burned down man. That's fucked up and uncalled for. If people want to buy Samsung junk that's their problem. No need to let it get under your skin to that extreme.
    edited September 2016 boopthesnootr00fus1chiastanthemantycho24pscooter63mobiuslightknightbadmonkfotoformat
  • Reply 11 of 44
    cali said:
    They will get what's coming to them, even without burning houses or injured people. 
    badmonkredgeminipawatto_cobrajahblade
  • Reply 12 of 44
    bdkennedy said:

Yah, I highly doubt that's the case, unless these other companies are desperate. There's no way I'd buy an appliance that was fully designed and made by Samsung and rebranded. Not a chance.
    redgeminipawatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 44
    This is the hard way to get HOT PANTS :D
  • Reply 14 of 44
    My Samsung TV is pretty good.   Everything else I've had from them was crap.
    Thank gawd they don't make cars.
    harry wildwatto_cobrazroger73
  • Reply 15 of 44
    Guess consumers need to only allow their machines to spin at only 60% of capacity.. ;)
    caliperkedelkuduronnredgeminipawatto_cobraHabi_tweetzroger73
  • Reply 16 of 44
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    I have a 60” Samsung Smart HDTV and it’s flakey. After numerous firmware and software updates the included apps run like snails and the TV doesn’t sync up to the Charter Spectrum STB on occasion requiring a power cycle. We also bought a Samsung refrigerator and the ice maker locks up on a regular basis. The onlySamsung product we have that appears to run okay is the Blu-ray player. Going either Sony or LG in the future.
    edited September 2016 caliharry wildredgeminipawatto_cobrazroger73
  • Reply 17 of 44
    baconstangredgeminipawatto_cobraboredumbnolamacguy
  • Reply 18 of 44
    Leave it to Samsung users to try to charge their phones while washing the pants they're in...
    caliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 44
    boredumb said:
    Leave it to Samsung users to try to charge their phones while washing the pants they're in...
    Double explosions? That's a scary thought.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 44
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    ireland said:
    cali said:
    I think it's enough that the company has no values, no need to wish someone's house to be burned down man. That's fucked up and uncalled for. If people want to buy Samsung junk that's their problem. No need to let it get under your skin to that extreme.
    "That's their problem"

that's my point. People need to wake up. Imagine if Apple products were blowing up at this rate rate? The government would take them to the cleaners!!

The scary thing is I think they do make cars in South Korea.
    redgeminipa