Future watch: new Ethernet standard to bring 2.5 and 5 Gbit/sec speeds to existing cabling

Posted:
in General Discussion
The group responsible for the Ethernet specifications have unveiled a new pair of standards, bringing faster speeds to existing Cat-5e and Cat-6 cable runs, eliminating networking bottlenecks, and potentially saving organizations with large deployments a great deal of money.

The Ethernet Alliance has announced that the new 802.3bz standard, also called NBase-T, that brings 2.5 Gbit/sec and 5 Gbit/sec speeds to older cabling has been ratified by the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE).

"The Cat5e and Cat6 installed in just the last 15 years now exceeds an estimated 70 billion meters of cabling, which is more than 10 trips to Pluto," said Cisco Vice President of Product Management Sachin Gupta about the ratification. "It is easy to imagine the value of delivering multi-gigabit speeds to the more than 1.3 billion Cat 5e/6 outlets worldwide if it doesn't require the huge head-ache and expense of a major cable replacement."

The technology to implement faster speeds in existing cable goes hand-in-hand with the initial deployment of 802.11ac wave 2 technologies in June, which is already starting to demand higher bitrates from mostly wired networking backbones. To feed the high-capacity switches, organizations could rip out the older cabling, and replace it with fiber optics or much higher grade copper cabling for 10 Gbit/second speeds, at $500 or more per network "drop" not including expenses for downtime, or planning costs.

Cisco notes that in enterprise deployments supplying "bandwidth hungry smart phones," the bottleneck isn't from the networking hardware like switches and access points, but the in-wall cabling. Existing hardware can handle 3-5 Gbit/second speeds, but Cat-6 cabling, or Gigabit Ethernet cabling, is capable of only 1 Gbit/sec.

Enterprise hardware exists now for the faster speeds. Consumer-grade hardware isn't likely to need the faster speeds for the time being, but gear for public access points at gathering places like coffee shops and other small businesses is now available.

The Apple connection

As of yet, no Apple gear supports 802.11ac wave 2 with multi-user MIMO access which will ultimately force the shift to the new protocol. However, inclusion in iOS devices is just a matter of time.

The easiest way to retrofit the faster networking speeds of macOS or other computing equipment currently on the market is through a USB 3.0 or 3.1 adapter, or through a Thunderbolt bridge. Intel already has a chipset that is capable of the speed, can deal with the new protocol, and demands little power.

Apple's iPhone and iPad are the prime movers of wireless internet traffic in U.S. enterprise, both from a "bring your own device" standpoint, as well as from a casual consumer access point demand point of view.

Even with Apple's predilection for wireless technologies, to say that Apple users need not concern themselves with fast wired networking is short-sighted.

baconstang

Comments

• Reply 1 of 37
    70 billion metres is equal to 70 million kilometres. Pluto is 7.5 billion kilometres away.  Therefore there is enough Ethernet cable to go about one tenth of the distance to Pluto. Still impressive 
    magman1979
  • Reply 2 of 37
    Sorry my bad. There is enough cable to go 1/100 of the distance to Pluto 
    revenant
  • Reply 3 of 37
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,817member
    ""The Cat5e and Cat6 installed in just the last 15 years now exceeds an estimated 70 billion meters of cabling, which is more than 10 trips to Pluto," "

The writer probably used Google and was given the distance to Disney. :D

edited October 2016 mwhitetomkarlchiafotoformattallest skilbaconstangmagman1979
  • Reply 4 of 37
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,917administrator
    That's funny! I didn't notice the Cisco VP botched the units!
    tallest skil
  • Reply 5 of 37
    5gbps?! Lol, & Bluetooth 4 is 25mbps...
    Please tell me more about how no physical jacks/connections are necessary & how wireless has already fully replaced them with equal quality!
    tallest skilDesignNev
  • Reply 6 of 37
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,904member
    tycho24 said:
    Please tell me more about how no physical jacks/connections are necessary & how wireless has already fully replaced them with equal quality!
    So you use Bluetooth for your internet connection? Why not compare 802.11 standards, not something that nobody uses for networking.
    perkedelwilliamlondonmagman1979lolliver
  • Reply 7 of 37
    linkmanlinkman Posts: 1,046member
    tycho24 said:
    I think they are referring to aggregate speeds. Multiple phones using wireless across several access points can demand > 5 Gbps. Enterprise network deployments will usually connect switches and similar devices to each other using fiber optic cabling. But with a lot of older infrastructure and lower cost installations copper cabling using 5e or 6 could take advantage of faster speeds.

On a similar note, it is extremely rare for a single computer to make full use of a 1 Gbps connection. A network drop for that computer doesn't really need crazy fast speeds.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 8 of 37
    Seems like a reasonable unit of measurement.  The distance between Earth and Pluto shall heretofore be known as a "plutometer."

The amount of Ethernet cable deployed on earth is 1/100 of a plutometer.  Whip THAT out at your next trivia night.  
    edited October 2016 lorin schultz
  • Reply 9 of 37
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Seems like a reasonable unit of measurement.  The distance between Earth and Pluto shall heretofore be known as a "plutometer."

The amount of Ethernet cable deployed on earth is 1/100 of a plutometer.  Whip THAT out at your next trivia night.  
    I think there needs to be a "short plutometer", for when Pluto is at its closest, and a "long plutometer" for when it is at its furthest.

Arbitrary imperial-style measurements for the space age.
    steveh
  • Reply 10 of 37
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,920member
    In order for 802.3bz standard or 802.11AC Wave2 or Wave3 to take off; Routers/Switches of such technology must come at a attractive price point like current 802.11N devices for home users to replace in masses. For client devices like iPhone or laptops to add Wave 2 WiFi, infrastructure like home routers and public hot-spots must be available to offer such connectivity, not just inside enterprise.
    edited October 2016
  • Reply 11 of 37
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,038member
    Will we ever see this in adopted in Apple's devices? Sure, their Macs are doing away with Ethernet, but with USB-C having more than enough throughput a dongle would be adapted; but I'm more concerned with their routers and, especially, their Apple TV, which is still only at 100BASE-T (100mib/s).
  • Reply 12 of 37
    Soli said:
    Will we ever see this in adopted in Apple's devices? Sure, their Macs are doing away with Ethernet, but with USB-C having more than enough throughput a dongle would be adapted; but I'm more concerned with their routers and, especially, their Apple TV, which is still only at 100BASE-T (100mib/s).
    Is there much need?  What does the Apple TV do that needs that much throughput?
    baconstang
  • Reply 13 of 37
    crowley said:
    Soli said:
    There are plenty of benefits for using GigE in the next Apple TV release. First of all, let's remember that it's running full-duplex from your router or switch, unless it's poorly setup, so that means it's 100mib/s in each direction. Now consider that it's not bytes, but bits, so let's divide that by 8 to get a more normalized, maximum throughput in MiB/s. (Note that I'm using the IEC notation, not the JEDEC notion which is confusion as it's the exact same notion as SI, which refers to the original, BASE10 (10^3 +3) instead of the more apt, binary BASE-2 (2^10 +10) that we use in computers for scaling by 1024, not 1000.

That means 100 mebiibit per second is is 12.5 mebibytes per seconds. A 1080p video is 1920×1080 "Full HD" which is 2.07 megapixels. At a 30Hz aka 30 fps, how many colors can you apply to each pixel in High Profile? What is the results for 60fps? What is the data rates for 2160p aka 4K for videos shot on the iPhone? What overhead is there for the video? How would GigE affect buffering times over 100Mib/s?

100BASE-T is doable—which is the case I made when the 4th gen Apple TV came out and people bitched—but GigE would be optimal when 4K, even though you can still get 2160p over Full Duplex 100BASE-T when using HEVC.
    DesignNevlibertyforall
  • Reply 14 of 37
    Soli said:
    crowley said:
    Soli said:
    There are plenty of benefits for using GigE in the next Apple TV release. First of all, let's remember that it's running full-duplex from your router or switch, unless it's poorly setup, so that means it's 100mib/s in each direction. Now consider that it's not bytes, but bits, so let's divide that by 8 to get a more normalized, maximum throughput in MiB/s. (Note that I'm using the IEC notation, not the JEDEC notion which is confusion as it's the exact same notion as SI, which refers to the original, BASE10 (10^3 +3) instead of the more apt, binary BASE-2 (2^10 +10) that we use in computers for scaling by 1024, not 1000.

That means 100 mebiibit per second is is 12.5 mebibytes per seconds. A 1080p video is 1920×1080 "Full HD" which is 2.07 megapixels. At a 30Hz aka 30 fps, how many colors can you apply to each pixel in High Profile? What is the results for 60fps? What is the data rates for 2160p aka 4K for videos shot on the iPhone? What overhead is there for the video? How would GigE affect buffering times over 100Mib/s?

100BASE-T is doable—which is the case I made when the 4th gen Apple TV came out and people bitched—but GigE would be optimal when 4K, even though you can still get 2160p over Full Duplex 100BASE-T when using HEVC.
    But the Apple TV doesn't support 4K anyway?
    baconstang
  • Reply 15 of 37
    sandorsandor Posts: 665member
    Soli said:
    crowley said:
    Soli said:

Or, more simply, 100bT works today, but it doesn't leave much headroom for the future.
  • Reply 16 of 37
    I disagree about the lack of consumer need for faster wired speeds: Sure, internet speed is more crucial and obvious, but when the devices in the home can communicate as fast as they might do their own processing and storage, it becomes something the avg consumer can stop thinking about. Just like WiFi did.
    jbdragonDesignNevlolliver
  • Reply 17 of 37
    crowley said:
    Soli said:
    crowley said:
    Soli said:

While you're right, the current Apple TV doesn't support 4K anyway, it's using the Apple A8 CPU.  The next gen Apple TV will probably move to the A9 or better, and the A9 does support HEVC.  Even if they don't enable 4K at that point, there isn't much or anything hardware wise that would prevent a software update enabling 4K at that point.  So, it's basically about planning ahead with the inherent capabilities of the next Apple TV.
  • Reply 18 of 37
    crowley said:
    Soli said:
    crowley said:
    Soli said:

And the Apple TV doesn't support GigE. What's your point?

I clearly stated in my very first sentence "in the next Apple TV," and only spoke in terms of what the future may hold for the future of Apple's media extender appliance.
    DesignNevlolliver
  • Reply 19 of 37
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,312member
    Having wired my house with cat 6 wire, I'd like to see faster speeds.  I'm pretty much maxing out my network transferring a bunch a large files restoring files on my NAS.   Jumping to say 5 gigabit using the same wires would be great.  Wireless is great, but it has its limitations.  When I have a choice, I'll always pick wired over wireless.
    jmc54lorin schultzDesignNev
  • Reply 20 of 37
    jbdragon said:
    Having wired my house with cat 6 wire, I'd like to see faster speeds.  I'm pretty much maxing out my network transferring a bunch a large files restoring files on my NAS.   Jumping to say 5 gigabit using the same wires would be great.  Wireless is great, but it has its limitations.  When I have a choice, I'll always pick wired over wireless.
    Is FD GigE from Mac to switch to NAS really the bottleneck? I'd think that HDD(s) would end up being the bottleneck. You can't go by SATA II maximum throughput because the HDD's ability to write to the drive is considerably slower, and gets slower as the drive fills up as it needs to write closer to the center of the platter which is spinning more slowly.