Samsung Galaxy fire blamed in evacuation of Southwest flight

Comments

• Reply 41 of 101
    Not good for anybody. It can doubt safety of all phones and devices.
    Week ago I said thanks God it has not burned some plain. Now I say thanks God it was still on the ground.
    palomine
  • Reply 42 of 101
    fracfrac Posts: 480member
    It's at this point that iPhone users should stop and think. Were it not for Apples conservative battery recharging policy which has been roundly criticized as so last century, the fact that lithium batteries have an unenviable reputation re overheating and that Apple sells more than everyone else, statistically it could have more likely been an iPhone on that plane that incinerated itself. 
    I really don't want insanely fast charging at this price. 
    sockrolidanton zuykovlolliverchiakpomcalimagman1979gilly33watto_cobrabadmonk
  • Reply 43 of 101
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    The FAA or the airlines seem to have no choice but to ban Note 7s immediately until they're proved safe, which could take a long time.
    sockrolidlolliverkpomcalimagman1979watto_cobrabadmonkaderutterpalomine
  • Reply 44 of 101
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    NY1822 said:
    sockrolid said:
    NY1822 said:
    the funny thing is Samsung stock price is near an all time high...but apple stock has 3% swings from a fake German report of slowing iphone sales that no one ever read...
    Samsung's overall profits aren't heavily dependent on their smartphone / phablet sales.
    They sell all manner of consumer electronics and appliances.

And yes.  Some of Samsung's home appliances explode too: 
    http://appleinsider.com/articles/16/09/28/government-agency-issues-warning-over-exploding-samsung-washing-machines
    then why are they selling assets to pay "soaring costs"?
    http://m.nasdaq.com/article/samsung-raises-cash-with-sales----wsj-20160919-00056
    I have no idea.
    Just saying that Wall Street knows that Samsung, the conglomerate, doesn't live and die over their smartphones.
    Exploding or not.  Lulz.  But yeah, their mobile division willl pay dearly in the long run.

And who knows how much the exploding washing machines will cost them...
    edited October 2016 watto_cobra
  • Reply 45 of 101
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,064member
    Show me the principled difference between this and SaberTech/ ValuJet592.

HazMat regs need to include these devices. 
  • Reply 46 of 101
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    A very serious, honest question, with absolutely no intention of casting any aspersions. I am merely bringing up the (vague) likelihood of pathological behavior. Is it foolish to worry, given all the attention this is getting, that someone -- and we know the extent of anti-Apple virulence out there -- might be tempted to tamper with an iPhone to make waves? If so, how could Apple possibly protect against something like that?
    With the truth. Besides any negative (antenna gate, bend gate) iPhone  stories were propped up by the dishonest media. 
    gilly33watto_cobrabadmonk
  • Reply 47 of 101
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member
    sockrolid said:

Just saying that Wall Street knows that Samsung, the conglomerate, doesn't live and die over their smartphones.

I could be mistaken of course, but I believe the above statement is the exact opposite of the truth!

"The vast majority of Samsung's profits come from smart phones."

http://www.businessinsider.com/samsung-versus-xiaomi-2014-7

netmage
  • Reply 48 of 101
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member
    In any event, Samsung's profits are affected by their smart phone sales. And the brand image of Samsung rises or falls with their flagship phones. Their investors care. The press certainly is devoting a ton of negative covering to Samsung. This is a big deal for Samsung, on the level of, get rid of management if the problem doesn't get fixed.

And for public safety it's huge as well -- 

What I don't get is, why is Samsung trying to downplay this, instead of getting those dangerous devices OUT of customers' hands BEFORE something truly terrible happens.

I certainly would NEVER wish a plane to crash but... if one does... that's the death of the brand Samsung. Of course that would be the LEAST important part of a  disaster compared to peoples' lives. From the company's point of view, it's a reason to take much more aggressive action to recall even the replacement devices!
    edited October 2016 gilly33watto_cobrabadmonkpalomine
  • Reply 49 of 101
    jungmark said:
    .... iPhone  stories were propped up by the dishonest media. 
    This is the part I am most worried about.
    anton zuykovcaliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 50 of 101
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    sog35 said:
    This is friken RIDICULOUS.

All Samsung phones need to be confiscated from all flights. PERIOD.

They need to be collected and stored in an air tight/fire proof safe for the entire flight.

These phones are as dangerous as dynamite. 
    Why the HELL is the govt not doing anything?
    Many people don't know Android phones are much superior to iPhones.  Google Android phones are capable of doing multi-tasking even in the background.  They think if Android phones are not in use then there is no danger of overheating.  Apparently Samsung proved the government and the media are idiots.  
  • Reply 51 of 101
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    It's really mind boggling the FAA hasn't banned the Galaxy Note 7. I'm always being hassled with my drone and lithium-ion batteries at airports yet they do nothing over exploding phones? Ridiculous!
    lollivercaliwatto_cobrabadmonknetmage
  • Reply 52 of 101
    Anyone who has a Samsung Galaxy phone at this point should be considered armed and dangerous. All of that alleged consumer goodwill Samsung created by pouring hundreds of millions into the "Galaxy" name has been obliterated.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/10/5/13175000/samsung-galaxy-note-7-fire-replacement-plane-battery-southwest

And by the way, THIS WAS A NEW REPLACEMENT PHONE.

edited October 2016 kpomcalimagman1979
  • Reply 53 of 101
    sog35 said:
    lkrupp said:
    We recently read about a battery test that showed the iPhone had the worst battery life. Of course many real world users disputed that but it’s starting to look like the race to get better battery life caused Samsung to cut corners, push engineering over the edge. Will this be the issue that makes Samsung Jump The Shark? 
    I think fast charging is the actual problem

There is a reason why Apple has not adopted it yet
    Google is making a big deal about fast charging regarding their new Pixel. The Pixel hasn't been shipped, but time will tell. 
    lolliverkpomcaliwatto_cobrabadmonk
  • Reply 54 of 101
    tzeshan said:
    sog35 said:
    This is friken RIDICULOUS.

All Samsung phones need to be confiscated from all flights. PERIOD.

They need to be collected and stored in an air tight/fire proof safe for the entire flight.

These phones are as dangerous as dynamite. 
    Why the HELL is the govt not doing anything?
    Many people don't know Android phones are much superior to iPhones.  Google Android phones are capable of doing multi-tasking even in the background.  They think if Android phones are not in use then there is no danger of overheating.  Apparently Samsung proved the government and the media are idiots.  
    Android is NOT superior to iOS even with background multi tasking. And the phone in question was powered off. If android is actually running in the background when a phone is powered down, then I will admit that android is truly superior, in that it can run without a power source. And if the OS is still running utilizing the battery when a phone is powered down, it is a massive OS design flaw. It would mean the only way really to shut phone down would be to fully exhaust the battery. So much for saving the battery on an Android phone when it is powered down. The OS is still running anyway and performing multiple tasks draining the battery so that when it is powered up, half the battery life is gone. 

Fast charging lithium batteries is fraught with risk anyhow. It was even a problem for Boeing's 787.  

Android much superior to iOS. LOL. That's a good one. 
    lolliverkpomcalimagman1979gilly33watto_cobrauraharakudu
  • Reply 55 of 101
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

Not sure people realize, this is going to affect Apple as well. I was on the flight last week coming out of Canada on a United flight and the attendant told everyone to power off their phones and we could not use them until we landed. They did not specifically call out any specific phone. The week before a co-worker on a delta flight said they physically collected all Samsung phones, made people put them in a bin, they said they could not trust that people would not use their phone on the flight.

If these things keep happening the FAA will ban the use of any device on the plane.

edited October 2016 Solimagman1979gilly33uraharanetmagepalomine
  • Reply 56 of 101
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    maestro64 said:

Not sure people realize, this is going to affect Apple as well. I was on the flight last week coming out of Canada on a United flight and the attendant told everyone to power off their phones and we could not use them until we landed. They did not specifically call out any specific phone. The week before a co-worker on a delta flight said they physically collected all Samsung phones, made people put them in a bin, they said they could not trust that people would not use their phone on the flight.

If these things keep happening the FAA will ban the use of any device on the plane.

Looks like the attendants need some education. I don't mind Samsung phones being banned at all.
    magman1979SpamSandwichlolliverwatto_cobrauraharanetmageaderutter
  • Reply 57 of 101
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Samsung phones explode on planes, zero effect on stock price. Some fuck-all analyst throws some predictions out of his ass, or some bullshit anti-Apple headline gets published, and Apple stock takes a nose dive. Sounds about right. 
    magman1979calironngilly33pscooter63watto_cobranetmagekudupalomine
  • Reply 58 of 101
    gilly33gilly33 Posts: 434member
    A fine and jail time is appropriate for anyone who knowingly (intentionally) takes a Note 7 or other banned incendiary device onto a passenger airliner. A crash would result in massive loss of life plus huge economic damages. Treating such issues in a cavalier manner is a crime against humanity. .
    Not sure they can bring down a plane. But we don't need to find out. Samesung needs to fix this asap. How the heck can replacement devices be doing the same damn thing. Not good. 
    netmage
  • Reply 59 of 101
    maestro64 said:

Blame Canada!
  • Reply 60 of 101
    gilly33gilly33 Posts: 434member
    lkrupp said:
    We recently read about a battery test that showed the iPhone had the worst battery life. Of course many real world users disputed that but it’s starting to look like the race to get better battery life caused Samsung to cut corners, push engineering over the edge. Will this be the issue that makes Samsung Jump The Shark? 
    Sa