Latest Alton Brown cookbook features food photos shot entirely on Apple's iPhone 6s Plus

Posted:
in General Discussion
Celebrity chef, food scientist, and Food Network star Alton Brown exclusively utilized an iPhone 6s Plus for the photography in his most recent cookbook "Everyday Food."

"I'm a bit of a control freak," said Brown in the preface to the tome. "To make things even more challenging, I insisted we shoot every photo from directly overhead with an iPhone 6s Plus."

"That's right... we shot the whole book with a phone," emphasized Brown.

In addition to a preface heralding the hardware used for the title, the opening pages of the book depict the apparatus used for the photos.

Brown has historically used a large amount of Apple hardware in developing and shooting his own show, "Good Eats" as well as in cookbook production. He thanked Apple for building the Macintosh G4 Powerbook that he used to write with in his credits for "I'm Just Here for the Food."

Brown is the creator and host of the Food Network television show "Good Eats" which ran for 14 seasons on the Food Network. He also hosted and produced travelogues "Feasting on Asphalt" and "Feasting on Waves," and currently hosts "Iron Chef America," "Cutthroat Kitchen" and "Camp Cutthroat."

Bon App?tit magazine named him Cooking Teacher of the Year in 2004, and he he won the James Beard Foundation Award for Best TV Food Personality in 2011.

At present, Alton Brown's Everyday Cook is ranked first for sales in cooking education and reference at Amazon, and is 81st on Amazon's book sales charts overall. The hardcover book retails for $35, and is available on Amazon, and the ebook version sells for $15 on the Apple iBooks Bookstore.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    mubailimubaili Posts: 453member
    big fan of Alton Brown and his shows and his cookbooks. Glad to see two things I love could come together in an unexpected way. 
    calisockrolidmacxpresswatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 13
    "But but but nobody cares about color accuracy, they just want vibrant neon colors."

vs.

"Shot on iPhone"
    pscooter63alexmacwatto_cobralolliver
  • Reply 3 of 13
    mubaili said:
    big fan of Alton Brown and his shows and his cookbooks. Glad to see two things I love could come together in an unexpected way. 
    Couldn't agree more. Me and my daughter had tickets to his show in Toronto last year and were seated towards the back. The front row was empty (Alton commented, "I must in Canada. You're all too polite to sit up front") and he invited us to sit in the front row, which we did. Show was a riot and he's very entertaining. 

Also his cook books are more like novels with interspersed recipes. He's got a great knack for telling stories. Super fun dude. 
    sockrolid
  • Reply 4 of 13
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    Mmmmm.... hardtack....
  • Reply 5 of 13
    pscooter63pscooter63 Posts: 1,080member
    His show was (still is) a revelation to me in terms of tools and techniques.  He and Peppin are my go-to resources.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    sockrolid said:
    Mmmmm.... hardtack....
    That particular recipe shown in the picture is doctored saltines. Basically, brushing on home-made chex mix seasonings on saltines and baking.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    Celebrity chef, food scientist, and Food Network star Alton Brown exclusively utilized an iPhone 6s Plus for the photography in his most recent cookbook "Everyday Food."

"I'm a bit of a control freak," said Brown in the preface to the tome. "To make things even more challenging, I insisted we shoot every photo from directly overhead with an iPhone 6s Plus."

I'm guessing that that picture of a picture of an iPhone taking a picture was taken on an iPhone...
    kudupscooter63watto_cobralolliver
  • Reply 8 of 13
    Can anyone tell from the picture what photo app he's using and what the ruler along the bottom of the screen is for? Curious... 
  • Reply 10 of 13
    crossladcrosslad Posts: 527member
    But but but no one ever does anything productive on an iPhone.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 13
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator

I'm guessing that that picture of a picture of an iPhone taking a picture was taken on an iPhone...
    It may be. In which case it is a picture of a picture of an iPhone taking a picture of an iPhone taking a picture.
    roundaboutnow
  • Reply 12 of 13
    I’m about to publish a cookbook with photos I took with iPhone, the entire book displays my original photos taken with an iPhone. Does anyone know a contact name/department in Apple that can address the issue of endorsement? Is that even a possible scenario? Should I mention in the book that the photos were shot with an iPhone? Thank you! 
    edited October 2017
  • Reply 13 of 13
    ej2017 said:
    I’m about to publish a cookbook with photos I took with iPhone, the entire book displays my original photos taken with an iPhone. Does anyone know a contact name/department in Apple that can address the issue of endorsement? Is that even a possible scenario? Should I mention in the book that the photos were shot with an iPhone? Thank you! 
    Create a promotional write-up and submit it for coverage by the editors here.