Hammer finally falls as Samsung Galaxy Note 7 is officially, permanently discontinued

Comments

• Reply 21 of 116
    ppjjpp1ppjjpp1 Posts: 4unconfirmed, member
    All this could have been avoided had they not rushed to beat the iphone 7 to the market. I dislike samsung, but i dislike those that continue to defend samsung much more. how do they explain that even phones with replaced batteries are blowing up? Do they admit the obvious, the problem is not the battery, it's the design of the phone? Nope, they mention an iphone caught on fire 1 time[no mention of the obscure 3rd party charger being used to charge this mysterious iphone in some 3rd world country]. Just, an iphone caught fire 1 time. Samsung defenders are simply retards. I enjoy LG phones, and i've had some good Motorola phones. Android phones are sometimes great. But Samsung is just shameful, and are clearly getting what they deserve.
    iosfangirl6001watto_cobrajony0cali
  • Reply 22 of 116
    For Samsung to most readily salvage their viability and reputation, it seems that they ought to seriously consider dumping the smartphone division altogether. Right now, it is an albatross around the entire company's neck, while their chip fabrication divisions are doing just fine. Indeed, if they were to do so, and spin it as part of an effort to refocus on consumer appliances and component fabrication, they might well be able to also rectify the reputation damaged caused by their incendiary washing machines.

Alternatively, they could go into military incendiary munitions manufacturing. ;)
    edited October 2016 iosfangirl6001h2pwatto_cobracali
  • Reply 23 of 116
    rwesrwes Posts: 200member
    sog35 said:
    Remember when the tech media was criticizing the iPhone for not having fast charging? LOL

Aside from not having fast charging. You've got people complaining about the removal of headphone jack when, apple used some of that freed up space to increase the battery capacity by 14% I believe (in iPhone 7). I'm not saying I'm a fan of losing the headphone jack; just that if you look at the reasons it was done, it's sensible. Not at all the best thing/idea at all since sliced bread, far from it, but sensible.

Instead or just trying to cram a larger battery in the same space, which is reportedly the issue with the Note 7.
    "The chairman of the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission was more explicit when his agency announced an official recall on Thursday. He said the phone’s battery was slightly too big for its compartment and the tight space pinched the battery, causing a short circuit." Source: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-09-18/samsung-crisis-began-in-rush-to-capitalize-on-uninspiring-iphone
    edited October 2016 longpathwatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 116
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Look at positive. Many Note users can break cycle/habit and switch to iphone 7 plus. I think T-mobile/AT&T/Sprint said will let customers to replace with any phone..
    iosfangirl6001pscooter63watto_cobracali
  • Reply 25 of 116
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Paging Cnocbui, paging Cnocbui …
    nolamacguybrucemctmaypatchythepiratelkrupppscooter63stevehwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 26 of 116
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    sog35 said:
    Just waiting for the loser trolls to show up and say:

1. Don't celebrate. Failure of Samsung is bad for Apple, cause competition is good
    2. Don't celebrate. Since this could have easily happened to Apple
    3. Don't celebrate. Because some iPhones also exploded (ignoring that those phones were damaged and smashed)
    4. Don't celebrate. Samsung had courage to do the 'right thing'

Ok trolls. Now don't waste your time responding. Since I already brought up all your talking points.

Why do I feel Note 7 explosions are acts of super natural forces that Samsung cannot figure out?  Wy do I feel it is done by Jobs thermonuclear war? 
    equality72521watto_cobracali
  • Reply 27 of 116
    And i hope the company goes bankrupt. The management is corrupt bunch of criminals. The fact management ignored warnings from the engineers not to release it without futher testing ( in order to compete with apple) completely valudates what we already know about this crappy copy cat. 
    iosfangirl6001jcdinkinspatchythepirateDeelronandrewj5790watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 28 of 116
    mrboba1mrboba1 Posts: 276member
    I'm wondering about the "spillover effect" of the repuation-hit onto the rest of Samsung's smartphones.

This disaster is only for the Note 7 product.  But will average consumers make that distinction or just hear "Samsung" and associate the safety issue -- in their minds -- with other Samsung phones (e.g., S7)?  If so, the damage (financial & brand) goes much farther than the market-value of the Note 7 product..
    I have to wonder what is so different between the Note and the regular Galaxy lines. They obviously introduced something new into the Note and I would imagine the lines share as much as possible to keep costs down. If so, how far into development for the S8 are they? How much of a delay would that cause to have to start over? Do they even know what the real cause is?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 116
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    I'm wondering about the "spillover effect" of the repuation-hit onto the rest of Samsung's smartphones.

This disaster is only for the Note 7 product.  But will average consumers make that distinction or just hear "Samsung" and associate the safety issue -- in their minds -- with other Samsung phones (e.g., S7)?  If so, the damage (financial & brand) goes much farther than the market-value of the Note 7 product..
    Hasn't it also occurred on new S7 and Edge phones in the Galaxy lineup?
    watto_cobracaliboredumb
  • Reply 30 of 116
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    Perhaps this type of thing will happen more often and to other companies. The calendar dictates the release of these devices not when they are actually suitable for release. As for the Samsung batteries melting down, I still think this could happen to other phone makers. Sometimes faults only appears late in the game and it turns into a disaster as this now has. 
  • Reply 31 of 116
    brakkenbrakken Posts: 687member
    And good riddance.
    iosfangirl6001h2pwatto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 116
    macxpress said:
    <snip/>
    Now its time for the FAA (TSA?) to ban this phone on all flights and confiscate this phone upon discovery at a security checkpoint. This is truly a very dangerous situation, especially if in the air. Its not like you can just land immediately. The same should be true for trains and other forms of public transportation. 
    <snip/>
    That will be incredibly ugly for only a few weeks. Customers would rather miss flights and go back to mail their phones to themselves than have the FAA confiscate them (we had to mail ourselves stuff in the past). And should the mail carriers ban the phones as well...very ugly...
    cali
  • Reply 33 of 116
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    About fucking time. 
    iosfangirl6001glowearthwatto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 116
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    sdw2001 said:
    macxpress said:
    I normally wouldn't say this, but I do feel for the carriers. They're the face of this issue unfortunately. The first person a customer see's is someone working in a store who sold them the phone. Also, it was really shitty of Samsung to only let customers get a different Samsung phone at first. Let the customer choose whether or not it wants to get a different Samsung phone. Are they (Samsung) really afraid everyone will just switch to an iPhone? I wouldn't say this is entirely true and the article proves this. Some people are very happy with Android and will just switch to a different manufacturer. 

The way they've handled this seems very poor....like they wanted to just sweep this under the carpet and try not to let this be a big deal. 

Now its time for the FAA (TSA?) to ban this phone on all flights and confiscate this phone upon discovery at a security checkpoint. This is truly a very dangerous situation, especially if in the air. Its not like you can just land immediately. The same should be true for trains and other forms of public transportation. 

This will cost Samsung more than just Billions of loss on this phone. They've severely tarnished their reputation and I'm betting even the most devoted Samsung customers will switch away to something else, even if its not an iPhone. This will end up costing them far more in the long run. All because they wanted to beat Apple's release of the iPhone 7. This just proves again, it doesn't matter who is first, it matters who does it best. 

Screw the carriers.  They are all criminals.  It's their world, and we just live in it.  I pay $35 a month for unlimited data and I cannot have tethering unless I give it up.  I live in the Philly exurbs and my phone switches from LTE to "4G" (which is BS in itself) all the time, thereby dropping calls in process.  My wife and I pay $180 a month for two friggin phones, not including our iPhone upgrade programs.  Verizon has better coverage, but doesn't work as well where I work.  Those are basically our two options now.  In most places, Sprint and T-Mobile are a joke.  These two assclown companies have been royally sticking it to their customers for decades.  My cell bill was $30 a month for years.  Now it's nearly $100 a line, and I can't even tether.  Screw Samsung and the carriers.  It's too bad such an amazing product as the iPhone is saddled with a cell network that rivals most third world countries. 
    What the hell does this have to do with what I said? 
    JanNLstompymuppetry
  • Reply 35 of 116
    "Those Samsung guys? They're not here," said one AT&T store manager. "We're getting the brunt of this ... I can't even tell you how many people have yelled at me because the Note 7 was garbage." A company (such as Samsung) whose business model is copying the technology and products of competitors will occasionally pay the price, when its other corner-cutting activities come to the fore. Naturally such companies over-promise and under-deliver, because they fail to appreciate the hard work required to make good on lofty promises.
    iosfangirl6001watto_cobrajony0cali
  • Reply 36 of 116
    haarhaar Posts: 563member
    rwes said:
    sog35 said:
    Remember when the tech media was criticizing the iPhone for not having fast charging? LOL

Aside from not having fast charging. You've got people complaining about the removal of headphone jack when, apple used some of that freed up space to increase the battery capacity by 14% I believe (in iPhone 7). I'm not saying I'm a fan of losing the headphone jack; just that if you look at the reasons it was done, it's sensible. Not at all the best thing/idea at all since sliced bread, far from it, but sensible.

Instead or just trying to cram a larger battery in the same space, which is reportedly the issue with the Note 7.
    "The chairman of the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission was more explicit when his agency announced an official recall on Thursday. He said the phone’s battery was slightly too big for its compartment and the tight space pinched the battery, causing a short circuit." Source: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-09-18/samsung-crisis-began-in-rush-to-capitalize-on-uninspiring-iphone

Which means that SAMSUNG was warned that the battery was too big to fit the phone.
     (Probably by a low level supervisor... and ignored)
    And because they were in a rush to get the phone out, they forced the issue, and said "do not worry"...
    and they are in the situation they are now.  
    THEY COULD HAVE USED A month, in total, it get a thinner battery...
     (BEFORE THE "fireworks" WENT OFF... instead "wow, look at all the pretty colors" )
    when they should have stopped production, dump the batteries, get new thinner ones... but NO...
    and here we are 18 BILLION dollars poorer. 

watto_cobracali
  • Reply 37 of 116
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    It's going to be quite interesting to see how they go about launching the next phone. 
    palominewatto_cobracali
  • Reply 38 of 116
    brakkenbrakken Posts: 687member
    lkrupp said:

While media coverage of the issue doesn’t seem as prevalent as negative press reports surrounding the lack of a headphone jack on the iPhone 7 family...
    You think? Pfft! People forget easily. Volkswagen is still selling cars, right? When the Note 8 comes out the tech press will fawn over it, declaring it the best phone ever. Samsung fanboys will restart their engines and return to business as usual. Sure it’ll cost Samsung a ton of money but it’s not a fatal blow. By this time next year it will all be forgotten, water under the bridge, everything back to normal. It’s just ironic that Apple fans are denigrated as iSheep, lemmings, cult members, religious zealots, stupid while their Samsung counterparts get a pass.
    I've noticed that most commenters are already hyping the latest goog pixel iPhone6-homage. And there's that new WiMo that looks like iPhone4. Non-Apple always seems to be either so yesterday, or bringing the future of Apple Doom (tm). Who even remembers that the ss Active leaked like a sieve, or that ms and goog happily give any and all info to usgov? Apple fans are harsh and expect the best, thusly complaining loudly until we get it; fandroids expect the worse, and complain about Apple until someone else gives it to them for $100 less.
    patchythepirateDeelronwatto_cobrajony0cali
  • Reply 39 of 116
    The Verge says: "Samsung’s disastrous battery issues have invalidated the praise we have heaped upon its beautifully designed, but fatally flawed smartphone. We leave this review up as testament to almost-was history, but have removed the score in light of the events. We do not recommend you purchase the Note 7, even if you're able to find it in stock."

'Beautifully designed.' Indeed.

(I purposely did not link to that pathetic tech site since it doesn't deserve even one extra page hit).
    SpamSandwichpatchythepiratepscooter63Deelronh2pwatto_cobrajony0cali
  • Reply 40 of 116
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    spice-boy said:
    Perhaps this type of thing will happen more often and to other companies. The calendar dictates the release of these devices not when they are actually suitable for release. As for the Samsung batteries melting down, I still think this could happen to other phone makers. Sometimes faults only appears late in the game and it turns into a disaster as this now has. 
    More often, as in, with greater frequency? I'm not so sure, but it's improbable that will never happen again. Perhaps the key difference between Apple (and others) v Samsung (and the other-others) is better QA from the supplier to your hands.

We know Apple has drastically increased accountability for labor laws and "green" initiatives, so if they can do that paperwork reliability they should be able to control batch data for various component build dates, even if they don't increase the frequency or depth of their internal QA.

I don't think Samsung is that sophisticated in their supply chains if they've had to recall all Note 7's because even their replacement devices were catching fire. There are surely lots of people getting fired for this, and it may not be their fault because it's not the culture of the company. Hopefully that changes*.

* My hope doesn't stem from a myopic view of needing more competition, but from the possibility that airlines may see this real threat of energy storage in our pockets as potential hazards and make a blanket ban of battery-powered personal devices that aren't specifically for medical use during a flight. That may seem unfathomable, but only one plane needs to have a lose of life to scare the bejebus out of the customers, the airlines, and the FAA.
    h2pwatto_cobra