Hammer finally falls as Samsung Galaxy Note 7 is officially, permanently discontinued

Comments

• Reply 41 of 116
    Samsung forever has Apple in their commercials.  Always comparing themselves to Apple.  This was inevitable.  They don't focus on themselves, they focus on the competition.  The commercial where everyone is gathered around a charging station at the airport with their iPhones immediately comes to mind.  There are countless others.  Lets see this flipped with everyone holding Notes around an airport power station.  Wouldn't end well for them.  Apple strictly focuses on Apple, making themselves better, so that commercial would never happen anyway.
    Rayz2016iosfangirl6001equality72521Deelronnolamacguychiawatto_cobrajony0cali
  • Reply 42 of 116
    blitz1blitz1 Posts: 448member
    Lesson #1: When you live off or steal other people's designs and IP, you destroy, or at least demean, your own design capabilities. You can't build it back up overnight.

Lesson #2: Quality, quality, quality. No compromises. Quality "costs" what it costs in the short run, but it works out cheaper in the long run.

Lesson #3: Customer, customer, customer. Once gone, they don't come back easily. Especially when there are alternatives. 

From here on, Samsung slowly dies. Period.
    A bit idiotic to claim that Samsung doesn't invest in IP. 
    The 2 other remarks are generic enough to be applicable to any company. No kudos for that...
  • Reply 43 of 116
    rwesrwes Posts: 200member
    haar said:
    rwes said:
    sog35 said:
    Remember when the tech media was criticizing the iPhone for not having fast charging? LOL

Aside from not having fast charging. You've got people complaining about the removal of headphone jack when, apple used some of that freed up space to increase the battery capacity by 14% I believe (in iPhone 7). I'm not saying I'm a fan of losing the headphone jack; just that if you look at the reasons it was done, it's sensible. Not at all the best thing/idea at all since sliced bread, far from it, but sensible.

Instead or just trying to cram a larger battery in the same space, which is reportedly the issue with the Note 7.
    "The chairman of the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission was more explicit when his agency announced an official recall on Thursday. He said the phone’s battery was slightly too big for its compartment and the tight space pinched the battery, causing a short circuit." Source: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-09-18/samsung-crisis-began-in-rush-to-capitalize-on-uninspiring-iphone

Which means that SAMSUNG was warned that the battery was too big to fit the phone.
     (Probably by a low level supervisor... and ignored)
    And because they were in a rush to get the phone out, they forced the issue, and said "do not worry"...
    and they are in the situation they are now.  
    THEY COULD HAVE USED A month, in total, it get a thinner battery...
     (BEFORE THE "fireworks" WENT OFF... instead "wow, look at all the pretty colors" )
    when they should have stopped production, dump the batteries, get new thinner ones... but NO...
    and here we are 18 BILLION dollars poorer. 

You're probably right about some internal engineer or low level manager/superior saying something and just being overruled.

Now the s**t has hit the fan.

Everyones left with popcorn in hand, watching the fallout/show and people (I'll risk it, and speak for all people, on both sides (pro Apple, pro Samsung)) left hoping there is no loss of life over something like this.
    iosfangirl6001watto_cobra
  • Reply 44 of 116
    And yet, Samsung lickspittle journalists insist Apple will not profit from their disaster. 

Despite exploding smartphones, customers are likely to stick with Samsung
    http://www.latimes.com/business/technology/la-fi-tn-samsung-competitors-20161010-snap-story.html
  • Reply 45 of 116
    Rayz2016 said:
    It's going to be quite interesting to see how they go about launching the next phone. 
    *in best TV or movie voiceover*

in a world that was rocked by Note 7 explosions and housewives were speechless over their washers 1 brand stands tall above the rest.

coming 2017

the device that has they FAA , TSA and more in a bundle of nerves

the phone Pyrotechnics and militaries are calling greater than the Big Bang and critics say will certainly give more bang for your buck 

featuring the tears of housewives and anyone traumatized in 2016

Samsung brings you the Note 8 guaranteed 3x more explosive and 5x as combustible or we promise another unsatisfactory round of recalls and exchanges.

the Note 8 coming to shelves near you sometime 2017 
    Michael Bay films got nothing on these explosions now give us your money and fandom

/s 

lol that hat sums it up I think 
    watto_cobracali
  • Reply 46 of 116
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,453member
    mrboba1 said:
    I'm wondering about the "spillover effect" of the repuation-hit onto the rest of Samsung's smartphones.

This disaster is only for the Note 7 product.  But will average consumers make that distinction or just hear "Samsung" and associate the safety issue -- in their minds -- with other Samsung phones (e.g., S7)?  If so, the damage (financial & brand) goes much farther than the market-value of the Note 7 product..
    I have to wonder what is so different between the Note and the regular Galaxy lines. They obviously introduced something new into the Note and I would imagine the lines share as much as possible to keep costs down. If so, how far into development for the S8 are they? How much of a delay would that cause to have to start over? Do they even know what the real cause is?
    Stylus support.

Apple may have Pencil support for the iPhone 8 Plus on their roadmap, which would pick up some of these Note users next year.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 48 of 116
    This could not have happened to a more deserving company. Cost me on my APPL puts as exploding phones are going to overshadow BS supplier checks. Even so I will happily to take the loss since it means that Samsung is finally getting it's comeuppance. 
    watto_cobracali
  • Reply 49 of 116
    And yet, Samsung lickspittle journalists insist Apple will not profit from their disaster. 

Despite exploding smartphones, customers are likely to stick with Samsung
    http://www.latimes.com/business/technology/la-fi-tn-samsung-competitors-20161010-snap-story.html
    Earlier this morning, a friend of mine who doesn't care for Apple and is an extremely loyal Samsung/Android buyer posted about his frustration with having to return his third Note 7. The first one was returned at the request of Samsung. The second one was defective. The third one is being recalled. Fortunately, none of the three caught fire. He doesn't trash-talk Apple and respects others' choices, but personally doesn't care for Apple. He's now considering trying an iPhone. Within minutes, two other friends quickly reacted - one advised not to drink the Kool-Aid. The other stated how much he loathed Apple and would remain loyal to Samsung regardless.
    cali
  • Reply 50 of 116
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,321member
    I suspect they tried to outdo the competition with a much larger-capacity battery than the tech would allow for. Something can be said about "responsible" manufacturing. People can complain all they want about Apple's devices not having the same battery life, but if that's because Apple has reached the "max threshold" for what the tech will allow, then so be it. Samsung appears to have chased specs over safety a bit too far.
    edited October 2016 watto_cobra
  • Reply 51 of 116
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,670member
    I hope there is some sort of kill bit to keep these faulty phones from ever being activated on a phone network. Otherwise they'll just end up in some third world country where consumers have no protection from dangerous products. 

This was exactly the right thing for Samsung to do. Too bad they waited too long and will now pay a higher price to repair their reputation. 

I'm sorry for the haters, but celebrating failure is a hollow victory. Every iPhone sale that beats out a Samsung sale is a victory, but Samsung screwing up all on their own is simply pathetic and not a reason to cheer. 
    ronn
  • Reply 52 of 116
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,038member
    I suspect they tried to outdo the competition with a much larger-capacity battery than the tech would allow for. Something can be said about "responsible" manufacturing. People can complain all they want about Apple's devices not having the same battery life, but if that's because Apple has reached the "max threshold" for what the tech will allow, then so be it. Samsung appears to have chased specs over safety a bit too far.
    Has anyone measured the battery densities? Battery life, mAh, or WHrs aren't a good metric without other variables.

One area where Samsung has been pushing the limit is in charging times. Their Note 7 battery capacity charges in half the time of the an iPhone despite being larger. That could be all or part of the problem. it also could be a chip or a flaw in the design of the board for routing power which they couldn't effectively resolve with SW, which is why even the replacements had issues.
    ronnmuppetrywatto_cobra
  • Reply 53 of 116
    DeezyGeezyDeezyGeezy Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    What I find interesting is that Samsung supposedly "fixed" the problem in the replacement phones. Fixing the problem naturally implies they identified what the problem was, but clearly they did not. That means it could crop up in other products, too. They are silent on the issue....
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 54 of 116

"You can always count on Samsung to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else." ~ Churchill (sort of)

patchythepirateDeelronbrucemcchiamuppetrywatto_cobracali
  • Reply 55 of 116
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    They'll modify it slightly, to stop the fire risk, and rebrand it.
    watto_cobracali
  • Reply 56 of 116
    red oak said:
    LOL. Sam could not have managed this any worse.  The Note brand is severely damaged, perhaps permanently.  Karma for this lying, corrupt organization

Key question is what % switch to iOS.  Even 25-30% would be a huge win for Apple
    It's not just the "Note" brand, it's the Galaxy and the Samsung that are also severely burned.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 57 of 116
    The Verge says: "Samsung’s disastrous battery issues have invalidated the praise we have heaped upon its beautifully designed, but fatally flawed smartphone. We leave this review up as testament to almost-was history, but have removed the score in light of the events. We do not recommend you purchase the Note 7, even if you're able to find it in stock."

'Beautifully designed.' Indeed.

(I purposely did not link to that pathetic tech site since it doesn't deserve even one extra page hit).
    Yep, they're pathetic. Just imagine all that lost ad revenue they've been living off from Samsung. So sweet.
    watto_cobracali
  • Reply 58 of 116
    quinney said:
    They'll modify it slightly, to stop the fire risk, and rebrand it.
    "The Samsung George Foreman Grill"
    edited October 2016 Solichiawatto_cobra
  • Reply 59 of 116

17th place on Twitter for trending. Twitter would collapse if this was Apple. 

patchythepiratelkruppDeelronperkedelnolamacguyronnwatto_cobrajony0cali
  • Reply 60 of 116
    mrboba1mrboba1 Posts: 276member
    tmay said:
    mrboba1 said:
    I'm wondering about the "spillover effect" of the repuation-hit onto the rest of Samsung's smartphones.

This disaster is only for the Note 7 product.  But will average consumers make that distinction or just hear "Samsung" and associate the safety issue -- in their minds -- with other Samsung phones (e.g., S7)?  If so, the damage (financial & brand) goes much farther than the market-value of the Note 7 product..
    I have to wonder what is so different between the Note and the regular Galaxy lines. They obviously introduced something new into the Note and I would imagine the lines share as much as possible to keep costs down. If so, how far into development for the S8 are they? How much of a delay would that cause to have to start over? Do they even know what the real cause is?
    Stylus support.

Apple may have Pencil support for the iPhone 8 Plus on their roadmap, which would pick up some of these Note users next year.
    That wasn't the angle I was going for - I was wondering what they did to the Note 7 that made the batteries overheat, and how that differs from the regular Galaxy line. And had they planned to introduce whatever caused this problem into their Galaxy 8 line, and now have to go back and fix that too.
    edited October 2016 watto_cobra