More reports circulate suggesting a late-October MacBook Pro, MacBook Air refresh

Posted:
in General Discussion edited October 2016
According to "reliable sources," Apple will announce the MacBook Pro (Late 2016) model in the next few days, shipping it and a new MacBook Air before the end of October.


MacBook Pro render. | Source: Martin Hajek


Macotakara's sources claim that a pair of new MacBook Pro models coming, with both the 13-inch and 15-inch models being refreshed. According to the same data sources in the supply chain, the 11-inch MacBook Air will not be renewed, with only the 13-inch MacBook Air seeing an update.

Both Macotakara and AppleInsider are expecting USB-C and Thunderbolt 3 ports. MagSafe 2 is not expected to return to the new MacBook Pro based on the new report, but data on any MacBook Air ports is limited at this time.

Processors expected in a new MacBook Pro aren't clear. It is uncertain if any quad-core Kaby Lake seventh-generation processors are shipping in any volumes, with only dual-core low-power models known to be in the hand of manufacturers at this time, and shipping in computers from other manufacturers.

Trademark filings made by Apple publicized in early September made mention of a never-before-mentioned "Control Strip," potentially revealing the name Apple plans to give the feature. Other rumors peg Touch ID to make an appearance in a new MacBook Pro model embedded into the power button.
«13

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 49
    ...after the quarter results, as in so many times prior...?
  • Reply 2 of 49
    No iPad Pro 12 refresh?
  • Reply 3 of 49
    vukasika said:
    No iPad Pro 12 refresh?
    Rumors have pegged a full iPad event in March, with a lineup refresh and a demo of more iPad specific iOS 10 features. 
    canukstorm
  • Reply 4 of 49
    I'm waiting to replace my 2009 iMac with a Kaby Lake version (either iMac or MacPro).  
    calijcdinkins
  • Reply 5 of 49
    anomeanome Posts: 1,196member

    There's not a lot of October left, they need to do something soon.

    And with the new hardware, you'd expect an event to show them off. Unless they're holding over the OLED panel for the next version.

  • Reply 6 of 49
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 1,752member
    anome said:

    There's not a lot of October left, they need to do something soon.

    And with the new hardware, you'd expect an event to show them off. Unless they're holding over the OLED panel for the next version.

    An event is the most common way Apple introduces new product. The other way is through private press briefings with select tech press / journalists / bloggers, which they have done before in the recent past.
  • Reply 7 of 49
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,483member
    emoeller said:
    I'm waiting to replace my 2009 iMac with a Kaby Lake version (either iMac or MacPro).  
    anome said:

    There's not a lot of October left, they need to do something soon.

    And with the new hardware, you'd expect an event to show them off. Unless they're holding over the OLED panel for the next version.

    I'd be surprised if there are enough OLED panels on Earth to supply Apple's laptop needs economically. But then I like surprises.
    edited October 2016 ronnpscooter63
  • Reply 8 of 49
    flaneur said:
    emoeller said:
    I'm waiting to replace my 2009 iMac with a Kaby Lake version (either iMac or MacPro).  
    anome said:

    There's not a lot of October left, they need to do something soon.

    And with the new hardware, you'd expect an event to show them off. Unless they're holding over the OLED panel for the next version.

    I'd be surprised if there are enough OLED panels on Earth to supply Apple's laptop needs economically. But then I like surprises.
    I don't know.  The volume of laptops is MUCH lower than the volume of phones and we're just talking about the control strip over the keyboard, right?  Is there much point to a full OLED laptop?
    Solironnpulseimages
  • Reply 9 of 49
    calicali Posts: 3,495member
    Again, a jet black version with touch bar would be gorgeous.
    williamlondonjkichlinepte apple
  • Reply 10 of 49
    SoliSoli Posts: 8,432member
    williamh said:
    flaneur said:
    emoeller said:
    I'm waiting to replace my 2009 iMac with a Kaby Lake version (either iMac or MacPro).  
    anome said:

    There's not a lot of October left, they need to do something soon.

    And with the new hardware, you'd expect an event to show them off. Unless they're holding over the OLED panel for the next version.

    I'd be surprised if there are enough OLED panels on Earth to supply Apple's laptop needs economically. But then I like surprises.
    I don't know.  The volume of laptops is MUCH lower than the volume of phones and we're just talking about the control strip over the keyboard, right?  Is there much point to a full OLED laptop?
    I don't see this as an issue. It's less area than a single smartphone with an AMOLED display.
    dysamoria
  • Reply 11 of 49
    curious if they put a W1 chip in these and/or a lightning port to make earpods and airpods compatible.  

    Somehow I doubt a TouchID, but instead have it continuity link authentication to either a watch or a iphone that is TouchID unlocked. I don't think putting a secure enclave chip on a Mac is in the cards, as I think we would have seen code references to it in the betas.
    Solihoodslide
  • Reply 12 of 49
    ksecksec Posts: 1,528member
    I hope I am wrong. But next year seems to be a Big Jump of tech for every apple product. APFS will likely officially ship in next year macOS update. Which means next year not only we will get 10nm Cannonlake for Notebook, but also likely full lineup using SSD ( Finally! ) It baffles me why Computer shipping in late 2016 would still have HDD as bootdrive.

    A new iPhone design, new Apple Watch design, likely new iPad Pro in early 2017.

    I wanted to buy a new Mac, but the "value" proposition for Mac is getting lower everyday, especially in the notebook segment. ( The Retina iMac offers surprising good value if you are into 4K / 5K screen )
    baconstangpte applehoodslide
  • Reply 13 of 49
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 1,698member
    If October 29th is a day of event than the announcement of event date got to happen in next 3 days for a week window before the real event taking place...
    edited October 2016
  • Reply 14 of 49
    SoliSoli Posts: 8,432member
    wood1208 said:
    If October 29th is a day of event than the announcement of event date got to happen in next 3 days for a week window before the real event taking place…
    It's not happening on a Saturday. More like Oct. 25 or 26th, if it happens this month.
  • Reply 15 of 49
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 1,752member
    Soli said:
    wood1208 said:
    If October 29th is a day of event than the announcement of event date got to happen in next 3 days for a week window before the real event taking place…
    It's not happening on a Saturday. More like Oct. 25 or 26th, if it happens this month.
    How about next Thursday, Oct.27th, which is the start date of this conference?

    http://www.fcpxcreativesummit.com/schedule/

    Which happens to take place in Cupertino and the entire Friday schedule takes place on Apple's campus? Apple is supposedly releasing the next major release of FCPX (10.2.4 or 10.3) during this conference.
  • Reply 16 of 49
    SoliSoli Posts: 8,432member
    Soli said:
    wood1208 said:
    If October 29th is a day of event than the announcement of event date got to happen in next 3 days for a week window before the real event taking place…
    It's not happening on a Saturday. More like Oct. 25 or 26th, if it happens this month.
    How about next Thursday, Oct.27th, which is the start date of this conference?

    http://www.fcpxcreativesummit.com/schedule/

    Which happens to take place in Cupertino and the entire Friday schedule takes place on Apple's campus? Apple is supposedly releasing the next major release of FCPX (10.2.4 or 10.3) during this conference.
    Thursday make more sense, but I'm still not undertanding why Mac-focused HW announcements have to take place at something called FCPX Creative Summit. Is that an event owned by Apple?
  • Reply 17 of 49
    If there is no "back to the Mac" event or something like it, than any refresh will most likely only adress internals, that is processors, drives, default ram, gpu and maybe price. Everything else won't simply pass as an press statement. Never. Ever.
    fastasleepanome
  • Reply 18 of 49
    entropysentropys Posts: 1,424member
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    wood1208 said:
    If October 29th is a day of event than the announcement of event date got to happen in next 3 days for a week window before the real event taking place…
    It's not happening on a Saturday. More like Oct. 25 or 26th, if it happens this month.
    How about next Thursday, Oct.27th, which is the start date of this conference?

    http://www.fcpxcreativesummit.com/schedule/

    Which happens to take place in Cupertino and the entire Friday schedule takes place on Apple's campus? Apple is supposedly releasing the next major release of FCPX (10.2.4 or 10.3) during this conference.
    Thursday make more sense, but I'm still not undertanding why Mac-focused HW announcements have to take place at something called FCPX Creative Summit. Is that an event owned by Apple?
    I guess there is the possibility of a new Mac Pro to go with the new FCPX?
    dysamoria
  • Reply 19 of 49
    cali said:
    Again, a jet black version with touch bar would be gorgeous.
    Hopefully, Apple will make extra in the black color before it release so people get it during the holidays.
  • Reply 20 of 49
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 2,069member
    curious if they put a W1 chip in these and/or a lightning port to make earpods and airpods compatible.  

    The W1 goes in the headphones, not the device.
    nolamacguy
Sign In or Register to comment.