'Hello again:' Apple sends invitations for event on Oct. 27, new MacBook Pros expected

Comments

• Reply 81 of 142
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,732member
    polymnia said:
    vlad1k said:
    This "hello (again)" phrase was used to introduce the original iMac

and it looks more like a colorful powder than a smoke cloud... are they coming back?:)

I agree with the "Hello" message implying a game-changing innovation.

The first time around it was the passing of the torch from the Apple II to the Macintosh.

Next with the iMac representing a ground-up reimagination of what a computer is.

I'm very interested in Apple's latest game-changer.

My Macs are working machines, so I'm especially hopeful for a big performance makeover.
    "I'm very interested in Apple's latest game-changer."

I wouldn't get worked up about it or assume anything because if there's nothing "game changing" you're gonna be sorely disappointed over something of your own making.
    lolliverireland
  • Reply 82 of 142
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    ireland said:
    vlad1k said:

and it looks more like a colorful powder than a smoke cloud... are they coming back?:)

And hello was how Mac was introduced. It's just a marketing term. Mac is saying hello again. New Macs across the board, probably. New iMac or not here is not the point.
    Yes it is a just a marketing term. But one that was used exactly twice. Once for the original revolutionary Macintosh in 1984, and one for the completely redesigned and forward thinking iMac in 1998, which redefined the personal computer yet again. Using it to introduce some spec bumps and port replacements is really a misuse of such an iconic marketing term. Hopefully that's not the case.
    edited October 2016 lolliverewtheckmanronnrandominternetpersonjkichlinewreighvenh2p
  • Reply 83 of 142
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,732member
    mac_128 said:
    ireland said:
    vlad1k said:

And hello was how Mac was introduced. It's just a marketing term. Mac is saying hello again. New Macs across the board, probably. New iMac or not here is not the point.
    Yes it is a just a marketing term. But one that was used exactly twice. Once for the original revolutionary Macintosh in 1984, and one for the completely redesigned and forward thinking iMac in 1998, which redefined the personal computer yet again. Using it to introduce some spec bumps and port replacements is really a misuse of such an iconic marketing term. Hopefully that's not the case.
    "Hopefully that's not the case."

Agreed. But at the same time I'm not getting my hopes or expectations up either.
    lolliverewtheckmanrandominternetperson
  • Reply 84 of 142
    sockrolid said:
    Jet Black.  Please.
    Has anyone compared the Mac Pro’s finish to the iPhone 7’s? Are they the same, or at least similar?
  • Reply 85 of 142
    dsddsd Posts: 186member
    The more important question: what's up with that smoky, deep pink, partially obscured Apple?
    To us in California it's obvious - iBong.
  • Reply 86 of 142
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    sockrolid said:
    Jet Black.  Please.
    Has anyone compared the Mac Pro’s finish to the iPhone 7’s? Are they the same, or at least similar?
    Same I'd say.
  • Reply 87 of 142
    With sadness, they don't deliver with Kaby Lake integration in the NEW Mac Book PROS. Why expect anything different? Unfortunate.
  • Reply 88 of 142
    anomeanome Posts: 1,545member
    ireland said:
    sockrolid said:
    Jet Black.  Please.
    Same I'd say.

From memory, I don't think it's as shiny. I doubt the polishing method shown in the video for the iPhone 7 is practical for something the size of the Mac Pro.

I do hope we get a black one, to at least nominally go with my Jet Black iPhone. Presumably, they'll do the other colours as well, for anyone who wants a Rose Pink MBP to go with their iPhone. (Not a choice I'd make, but who am I to judge?) Jet Black would be nice, but would be even more of a bastard to keep free of scratches and fingerprints on something that size.

• Reply 89 of 142
    With sadness, they don't deliver with Kaby Lake integration in the NEW Mac Book PROS. Why expect anything different? Unfortunate.
    Who says?
    wreighven
  • Reply 90 of 142
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,080member
    polymnia said:
    vlad1k said:

I agree with the "Hello" message implying a game-changing innovation.

The first time around it was the passing of the torch from the Apple II to the Macintosh.

Next with the iMac representing a ground-up reimagination of what a computer is.

I'm very interested in Apple's latest game-changer.

My Macs are working machines, so I'm especially hopeful for a big performance makeover.

I wouldn't get worked up about it or assume anything because if there's nothing "game changing" you're gonna be sorely disappointed over something of your own making.
    You are no fun. 
  • Reply 91 of 142
    mac_128 said:
    ireland said:
    "hello again" is Apple signaling this is a Mac event. Nothing more.
    Then they're idiots, as that's as iconic a phrase as the Macs to which it debuted. 
    Exactly. I can't think of a phrase that would set higher expectations. Well, short of something like "we will announce the most amazing product we'be every released."  They didn't have to use the phrase and they did. So either they are saying "YUGE Mac announcement coming!" or they are idiots (for using that phrase).

As as others have said, I think I'll assume the latter for now so I won't be disappointed. 
  • Reply 92 of 142
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    The more important question: what's up with that smoky, deep pink, partially obscured Apple?
    I believe it's the one the Evil Queen gives to Snow White...?
  • Reply 93 of 142
    ppietrappietra Posts: 288member
    How is it possible that no one remembers that Apple sent an "Hello" invitation for WWDC 2016?
    ireland
  • Reply 94 of 142
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    boredumb said:
    I believe it's the one the Evil Queen gives to Snow White...?
     :D 

It does look slightly sinister, like the Apple Exec Board are shortly going to change into werewolves.
    singularityboredumb
  • Reply 95 of 142
    ppietrappietra Posts: 288member
    mac_128 said:
    ireland said:
    "hello again" is Apple signaling this is a Mac event. Nothing more.
    Then they're idiots, as that's as iconic a phrase as the Macs to which it debuted. 
    That is a normal greeting and one that Apple used in a very recent invitation for WWDC 2016.
    ireland
  • Reply 96 of 142
    leighrleighr Posts: 256member
    I see colours coming.
  • Reply 97 of 142

The thing about their wording is that they would know it implies something big, it's like the "One More Thing..." they brought back when they announced the Apple Watch (it was worthy of bringing that line back). They know the line "Hello again:" will set high expectations, no? Still, if we expect not much we'll be greatly surprised if it is indeed something big, better to have that than a massive disappointment when the big thing is the OLED strip on the MBP, right? :)

Perhaps something like an Echo-type device with Siri/HomeKit at its core, or the MBA revamped to be the first iOS laptop.
    randominternetperson
  • Reply 98 of 142
    This is fantastic! We are having sufficient iDevice events. I hope this will all Mac and peripherals (TM, Display, one more thing, ...). Very much looking forward to this and my new MacBook Pro.
  • Reply 99 of 142
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    Michael W said:
    Did I read this correctly that these new MacBook Pro's will have Skylake processors? According to AppleInsiders own previous story, Kaby Lake has been sent to laptop manufacturers in early September. We wait years for a new laptop that has a processor that's already post peak? I hope this was a mistake in the story.
    The issue is that Intel released low power, lower performance chips of SkyLake a few months ago, but only recently released the higher powered models suitable for the Pro lineup. They are doing the same thing with Kabylake.
  • Reply 100 of 142
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    The chips aren't even available yet for MBP yet... so now you're disappointed in Apple for not having invented time travel?
    watto_cobra