Google signs up CBS for upcoming YouTube Unplugged live TV service - report

Posted:
in General Discussion
Google has forged a deal to carry CBS channels on its upcoming live TV streaming service, YouTube Unplugged, a report claimed on Thursday.

CBS is the first major network to join, sources informed the Wall Street Journal. Google is said to be nearing an agreement to carry Fox channels though, while talks with Disney and NBCUniversal are allegedly in their advanced stages.

Google is hoping to offer a "skinny" channel bundle costing between $25 and $40 per month, media executives told the Journal. That would put Unplugged in league with Sling TV and PlayStation Vue -- and maybe keep it cheaper than Hulu's future live service.

Rumors have suggested that Unplugged could arrive as soon as early 2017. One Journal source indicated that while Unplugged subscriptions will probably be separate from YouTube Red, they will at least include some Red videos as a bonus.

Earlier this week YouTube executives are said to have met with several local TV station owners in New York, suggesting that Unplugged will also carry local content.

Google has allegedly encountered resistance from some potential partners, though, over plans to overlay data on live feeds. People watching ESPN might see statistics, while a news broadcast could be paired with Twitter posts. The networks are said to be concerned that people might, for instance, use Twitter to insult a news anchor.

Another worry is that Google might mix the networks' "premium" content in with regular YouTube material, which they see as lower-value.

Apple has been rumored as working on a similar live TV service, but making little to no progress in negotiations. The company has supposedly been low-balling content owners, even Disney, a long-time corporate partner.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    mwhitemwhite Posts: 287member
    sog35 said:
    Why. Is. apple. So. slow.

get with it already Apple.

Stop trying to low ball content providers. Just close the deals already. Then once you have 20 million subscribers then you can negotiate lower prices.

I'm getting sick of Tim Cook's slow action.

Apple is keep getting left behind because of Cook's inability to act:

1. Took forever to bring out large phones - thus Samsung got a massive foothold in the market
    2. Took forever to make an AppleTV with Apps - thus Roku, Amazon, Google got a foothold in streamers
    3. Taking forever to make a home hub device - thus Amazon Echo has made a big push
    4. Taking forever to close a LiveTV package and a streaming package - falling behind again
    5. Took forever to bring out streaming music - thus Pandora/Spotify got a huge early lead
    6. Took forever to bring out a powerful iPad - thus Surface made some gains in mind share
    7. Taking forever to bring out an iOS desktop
    8. Taking forever to make phones with a smaller bezel
    9. Taking forever to build their cloud
    10. Taking forever to build out Apple Pay
    11. Taking forever to build out HomeKit

Tim Cook's Apple is all about being slow and being left behind.

Apple could have easily dominated multiple markets but they are so damn slow
    I think you need to drop Apple and go with Android because everyone here is tired of your bitching!!!

jay-tpropodspice-boybrucemcjony0longpathlollivernolamacguywatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 25
    sog35 said:

Stop trying to low ball content providers. Just close the deals already. Then once you have 20 million subscribers then you can negotiate lower prices.

1. Took forever to bring out large phones
    2. Took forever to make an AppleTV with Apps
    3. Taking forever to make a home hub device
    4. Taking forever to close a LiveTV package and a streaming package 
    We don't normally agree but I agree with everything here. I see some apologists on Twitter often use the Apple isn't first but is best line which I think is bunk.

iPhone 6 was a great phone but I don't think it blew every other phone out of the water. There are phones on the market today with the same screen size (or bigger) but in a smaller overall body because they don't need large bezels to accomodate a physical home button. Can Apple claim they waited to make a bigger phone until they could do it best? Not if they're honest. I use my Apple Watch every day and like it a lot. But is it really that much better than all the other wearables out there? It might be selling the most because of brand recognition and customer loyalty but is it really some blow away breakthrough device? Same with Apple TV. It seems like we wait a long time for stuff and then what's announced is a bit underwhelming.

I hope we get a really great Mac event that does blow everyone away. Ben Bajarin says his research data shows that premium Windows machines are taking share from the Mac. And Microsoft has been pushing them hard. I see Windows 10 PC commercials on TV all the time. I can't remember the last time I saw a Mac commercial on TV.  I hope we see killer new Macs and a big holiday ad campaign to go with it.
  • Reply 3 of 25
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    sog35 said:
    So slow their phones don't explode. So slow $250B in the bank.
    edited October 2016 singularityMacProjahbladejay-tboltsfan17brucemcjony0lollivernolamacguywatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 25
    sog35 said:
    mwhite said:
    sog35 said:

1. Took forever to bring out large phones - thus Samsung got a massive foothold in the market
    2. Took forever to make an AppleTV with Apps - thus Roku, Amazon, Google got a foothold in streamers
    3. Taking forever to make a home hub device - thus Amazon Echo has made a big push
    4. Taking forever to close a LiveTV package and a streaming package - falling behind again
    5. Took forever to bring out streaming music - thus Pandora/Spotify got a huge early lead
    6. Took forever to bring out a powerful iPad - thus Surface made some gains in mind share

I think you need to drop Apple and go with Android because everyone here is tired of your bitching!!!

it isn't bitching. Its truth.

Do you not agree Apple was way to slow in bringing out an AppleTV with Apps? If they did this 4 years ago they would be dominating the streaming device market. Instead Cook was slow and Roku/Amazon/Google has taken huge chunks of the market.

Same thing with a home hub device like Echo. 

I'm getting tired of Apple dragging their feet on obvious opportunities
    What do you think about this Goldman Sachs proposal for Apple to create an Apple Prime subscription service where a consumer would pay, say, $50/mo for an iPhone, TV, Music and iTunes 'subscription'? I think this is an idea the executive team should be looking at. 

http://ped30.com/2016/10/17/apple-prime-goldman-sachs/
  • Reply 5 of 25
    I don't think I want to pay $30-40 monthly for TV contents. $8 for Netflix, yes. $9 for Apple Music, OK. $5 a month for unlimited Amazon Cloud Drive, sign me in. $30? Maybe, if it includes HBO. Otherwise no!
    edited October 2016
  • Reply 6 of 25
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    ireland said:
    sog35 said:
    So slow their phones don't explode. So slow $250B in the bank.
    You beat me to it.  :)
    lolliver
  • Reply 7 of 25
    What do you think about this Goldman Sachs proposal for Apple to create an Apple Prime subscription service where a consumer would pay, say, $50/mo for an iPhone, TV, Music and iTunes 'subscription'? I think this is an idea the executive team should be looking at. 

I'll give them $60 for that + unlimited iCloud Drive.
    edited October 2016
  • Reply 8 of 25
    smaffeismaffei Posts: 237member
    mwhite said:
    sog35 said:
    Why. Is. apple. So. slow…

…Apple could have easily dominated multiple markets but they are so damn slow

sog35 is right. Cook's Apple has been mostly "us too" and not "innovate our way there." 

But, hey, he's sure making a pretty building. Failure has a nice new home.
  • Reply 9 of 25
    smaffei said:
    sog35 is right. Cook's Apple has been mostly "us too" and not "innovate our way there." 

But, hey, he's sure making a pretty building. Failure has a nice new home.
    I think you have a strange meaning of "failure".
    edited October 2016 mwhitelollivernolamacguy
  • Reply 10 of 25
    sog35 said:
    tens of millions pay $100+ for TV content. $30 is a big drop for those people (like me)
    Including live sport, yes. Only TV programs, no!
  • Reply 11 of 25
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    sog35 said:
    matrix077 said:
    sog35 said:
    tens of millions pay $100+ for TV content. $30 is a big drop for those people (like me)
    No live sports? No way am I paying $30-$40
    I would imagine that's what the negotiations with Disney are about. Combine ESPN with Fox Sports who was already reported close to agreement and that's most of your sports. Add to that your local Fox broadcast channel which would almost certainly be part of the Fox package along with perhaps your local CBS broadcasts and NBC and I can't really think of any sports you'd miss out on. 
    lolliver
  • Reply 12 of 25
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    sog35 said:
    The thing is I'm not even that smart but even I can see the obvious opportunities Apple is letting get away.

1. Home Kit / Home Hub. Why isn't the AppleTV able to battle the Echo? Or at least make a version that can.

2. iOS desktop budget computer. So obvious. There is a massive market (about 100 million units a year) for desktops in the $299-$499 range. Why isn't Apple expanding its econsystem to include more home computing? Most can't afford a $1000 Mac. A $299 iOS desktop would change the game.

3. More content. Live TV, Netflix like service, gaming. Even Google has done this already. If you can't figure it out buy a company.

1. Personally I am not convinced the Home Kit / Echo thing is such a huge market. I think it is clever but I am not sure it will ever be huge. Health Kit? Definitely.

2. IOS desktop / laptop. It is obvious and I am certain Apple is waiting for both tech and market elements to align. The worst thing would be to bring out something that underperforms at a low price. Low price - yes, low performance? Not so much. Also, their IOS direction is the iPad. Their regular computer is OSX. Could they sell a 13" iPad with a keyboard (+ mouse) + touch screen for 299 - 499? If not, how can they do a laptop for that price?

3. I am not sure Apple is interested in content, and I am not sure it would be a good idea. Just because others do it it doesn't mean it will be a good idea in the long run.

I agree Apple seems slow at times but I think they always were. They take their time and don't rush anything. That whole m.o. has been discussed here often. If you remember Jobs talked about this and was very clear about it. Apple is way more complex than it ever was in Jobs' days and quick decisions often turn out not so great. Think back at all those things we thought Apple should have acted on but didn't. Did they all pay off for the buyers? 

Also - Apple is deep in a couple of growing areas - Banking and e-commerce through Pay - This has only just began but it is clear Apple will be a serious player in the long run, and Watch, which you may not much like but Apple clearly believe has a great future. I share this view but I believe there is some way to go before the Watch will become central in just about everybody's lives. And who knows what they are doing with personal transport. This is an area so much in its infancy I don't think it matters what Tesla et al are doing now. Apple could decide to enter the arena in5 - 10 years in a major way. They are clearly looking at it.
    edited October 2016 lolliver
  • Reply 13 of 25
    jvmbjvmb Posts: 59member
    Having a digital channel bundle is just the first step that eliminates the cable company.  The success of digital platforms depends on eliminating al the middle men and in this model you still have the networks as middle men.

Eventually we should be able to get content directly from content producers. Hopefully in an open market and not in silos like Netflix' content. We should have a many to many relationship of content producers and content distributors like we have with music producers and music services. 

I think the hulu model is closest to what services should look like. I don't know or care what channel the shows are on and I can pay extra to eliminate commercials. Their add in packages should be improved as they are still channel based. I don't want to want to have add ons like HBO and espn, I want to have add ons like family friendly sit coms, long format drama, or local sports teams. And I should be able to add individual shows. Why pay $180 a year for HBO, if all you want to see is Game of Thrones. 
  • Reply 14 of 25
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    gatorguy said:
    sog35 said:
    matrix077 said:
    sog35 said:
    No live sports? No way am I paying $30-$40
    I would imagine that's what the negotiations with Disney are about. Combine ESPN with Fox Sports who was already reported close to agreement and that's most of your sports. Add to that your local Fox broadcast channel which would almost certainly be part of the Fox package along with perhaps your local CBS broadcasts and NBC and I can't really think of any sports you'd miss out on. 
    If you are a fan of the Premier League like me, that wouldn't cover it. NBC Sports airs games and they will put one on the over the air NBC channel. The problem is that's only a few games. You would need the overflow NBC Sports channels like you have on DirecTV if you aren't a fan of the big 5 clubs. You need BeIN Sports as well to watch Barcelona and Real Madrid. Millions of people watch both here in the States.
  • Reply 15 of 25
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,066member
    All competition is good. I'm certainly not buying this service, but if it pushes Apple to action, fine.
    edited October 2016
  • Reply 16 of 25
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    I suspect that Apple has failed to make a deal with the networks for a few reasons the biggest one is Apple is not willing to pay what the studios are asking. Google may be getting a deal to put pressure on Apple to cave in and agree to the networks' price. The joke my ultimately upon the consumer since an a la carte pick of networks my add up to the same if not more than the current cable providers are asking. The networks, Google, Apple and other companies are not charities so don't expect anything free or really discounted from the present model. As long as people value broadcast TV there is no reason to discount it. I know the rise in "cable cutter" may be motivating big players to find a way of keeping revenue up but I don't think cable cutters are a big enough percentage to make an impact yet. 
  • Reply 17 of 25
    sog35 said:

Just relax people.

A good "go to market" strategy is critical.  Note that Apple does not miss often with its global go to market strategies, nor does it quit.
    Notice how it keeps pushing ApplePay Globally, CarPlay is in almost every car sold nowadays etc...
    Apple is very thorough and will not offer a product or service that it believes is half ass.

Any YouTube offering will be going head to head with the Cable Providers early next year.
    If the cable companies are smart, they will offer scalable bundles from very skinny  to very fat on the AppleTV / iOS platforms at reasonable prices and a reasonable fee to Apple and make a killing.  AppleTV is by far the most advanced TV platform.

Once TV service is decoupled from cable/internet service you will see some serious competition and a lot less crapy content.

edited October 2016
  • Reply 18 of 25
    holyoneholyone Posts: 398member
    sog35 said:
    sog35 said:
    mwhite said:
    sog35 said:

it isn't bitching. Its truth.

Do you not agree Apple was way to slow in bringing out an AppleTV with Apps? If they did this 4 years ago they would be dominating the streaming device market. Instead Cook was slow and Roku/Amazon/Google has taken huge chunks of the market.

Same thing with a home hub device like Echo. 

I'm getting tired of Apple dragging their feet on obvious opportunities

I like it.

Then every 2 years allow for an upgrade.

Lets go further:

iPhone, iPad, iOS desktop or Mac, AppleTV, Watch. The more you subscribe to the bigger the discount. Same with services: iCloud, Music, Movies, LiveTV, ect.

Again, why is Apple so slow in taking advantage of obvious opportunties? 
    Two future execs right here, pay attention Apple
    nolamacguy
  • Reply 19 of 25
    matrix077 said:

I'll give them $60 for that + unlimited iCloud Drive.
    I would too.
  • Reply 20 of 25
    sog35 said:
    sog35 said:

1. Took forever to bring out large phones
    2. Took forever to make an AppleTV with Apps
    3. Taking forever to make a home hub device
    4. Taking forever to close a LiveTV package and a streaming package 
    We don't normally agree but I agree with everything here. I see some apologists on Twitter often use the Apple isn't first but is best line which I think is bunk.

iPhone 6 was a great phone but I don't think it blew every other phone out of the water. There are phones on the market today with the same screen size (or bigger) but in a smaller overall body because they don't need large bezels to accomodate a physical home button. Can Apple claim they waited to make a bigger phone until they could do it best? Not if they're honest. I use my Apple Watch every day and like it a lot. But is it really that much better than all the other wearables out there? It might be selling the most because of brand recognition and customer loyalty but is it really some blow away breakthrough device? Same with Apple TV. It seems like we wait a long time for stuff and then what's announced is a bit underwhelming.

I hope we get a really great Mac event that does blow everyone away. Ben Bajarin says his research data shows that premium Windows machines are taking share from the Mac. And Microsoft has been pushing them hard. I see Windows 10 PC commercials on TV all the time. I can't remember the last time I saw a Mac commercial on TV.  I hope we see killer new Macs and a big holiday ad campaign to go with it.
    I doubt people are cross shopping Mac's vs Windows computers
    That's not what Ben Bajarin is indicating, and he's a pro-Apple analyst.